Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mazz posted:

Another population trick was building armies of peasants in one large town, moving them to another town, and then disbanding them all. The population would increase there by number of troops disbanded.

Recruitment of large units also worked for cities that were unhappy. I used this trick sometimes, but in the end if a population was really unhappy and I didn't want to deal with it I'd allow them to rebel, crush the rebellion and then purge the population of miscontents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See, this is why I am glad that they changed a lot of population control measures in the later Total War games. With Rome the tax burden on your largest cities was so stupid it defied description, and it was honestly easier to crucify an entire population than it was to do anything else.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ice Fist posted:

Recruitment of large units also worked for cities that were unhappy. I used this trick sometimes, but in the end if a population was really unhappy and I didn't want to deal with it I'd allow them to rebel, crush the rebellion and then purge the population of miscontents.

Mods that allowed you to recruit trash mobs in mass where a godsend.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Josef bugman posted:

See, this is why I am glad that they changed a lot of population control measures in the later Total War games. With Rome the tax burden on your largest cities was so stupid it defied description, and it was honestly easier to crucify an entire population than it was to do anything else.

Agreed, over time in Rome I got real tired of how distance to capital and general unhappiness worked in larger towns. I ended up modifying specific temple bonuses to just remove all that poo poo so I could focus on conquering the map in my later playthroughs. I don't mind the challenge of having to control my expansion and such like in Shogun 2, but in Rome it eventually crossed the line into pure tedium, especially with all the little rebel armies that would pop up regardless of town happiness. They definitely made some big strides on that front, I really cannot loving wait for the next Rome.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mazz posted:

Agreed, over time in Rome I got real tired of how distance to capital and general unhappiness worked in larger towns. I ended up modifying specific temple bonuses to just remove all that poo poo so I could focus on conquering the map in my later playthroughs. I don't mind the challenge of having to control my expansion and such like in Shogun 2, but in Rome it eventually crossed the line into pure tedium, especially with all the little rebel armies that would pop up regardless of town happiness. They definitely made some big strides on that front, I really cannot loving wait for the next Rome.

See I do not understand why many of the TWC crew are such arses about every little thing, I mean I have played ever TW game since the first shogun and they, with the unfortunate misstep that is empire, have been getting better and better ever since.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

See I do not understand why many of the TWC crew are such arses about every little thing, I mean I have played ever TW game since the first shogun and they, with the unfortunate misstep that is empire, have been getting better and better ever since.

Uh I've been playing total war since the literal battle of Marathon where I was complaining that the combat was too fast and arcady and hoplites were OP. Try again Noob.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Shorter Than Some posted:

Uh I've been playing total war since the literal battle of Marathon where I was complaining that the combat was too fast and arcady and hoplites were OP. Try again Noob.

I've given up on official forums for any game. They're all the same.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

shalcar posted:

I don't know, I think Darth Mod is a great instructional primer for aspiring modders. Admittedly in a 'Don't do design like this', sort of a way, but those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it and all that.

I actually liked the changes it made to the campaign map game--Realm Divide, Agent/General skills, Technologies. It was the battle map game that got turned to poo poo (morale is meaningless, everyone fights to the death, cavalry charges don't do poo poo, enjoy the sight of two blobs of samurai mashing against each other forever).

I ended up stripping out all of the battle map changes and just using the campaign map changes. It worked great. Actually, I kind of want to upload the file to Steam Workshop as "Sengoku Jedi" just to send the dude into conniptions.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Clearly we should embody some poor soul in the front lines of a battle and have it be no respawn with 6 hour timers on battles where we must stare at the sky or ground and contemplate why war is so incredible.

The spatial awareness alone needed to be just an average general must be insane. The concept of a top down view of the world, inside your mind, before flight boggles my mind.
When I read about Austerlitz or some of the poo poo Alexander did my only reaction is:

Also I think about how many people I would have gotten killed. :(

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Besides some extra factions, what are you guys looking for DLC in RTW2? I think a mini campaign set during the Greco-Persian War or the Peloponnesian War would be cool, but they are outside the Roman scope. Maybe we'll see campaign to hold the empire together during the Crisis of the Third Century.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

brozozo posted:

Besides some extra factions, what are you guys looking for DLC in RTW2? I think a mini campaign set during the Greco-Persian War or the Peloponnesian War would be cool, but they are outside the Roman scope. Maybe we'll see campaign to hold the empire together during the Crisis of the Third Century.

What do you think about a Spartacus campaign?
I have a personal interest in Trajan's Dacian invasion.

The way Napoleon's Peninsular campaign was so well put together makes me think any sort of small theater with specific goals and features for each side is a great way to go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I am very impressed with the CAI in Shogun 2 over the other games. I started an Uesugi campaign, and was beaten in seven turns. The Takeda allied with a number of smaller clans, and while I was marching on the Jinbo, my vassal was overrun and then a huge stack of naganita samurai were on Echigo, with only Kenshin, retainers and two Ashigaru Bowmen defending. It didn't end well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shes Not Impressed posted:

What do you think about a Spartacus campaign?
I have a personal interest in Trajan's Dacian invasion.

The way Napoleon's Peninsular campaign was so well put together makes me think any sort of small theater with specific goals and features for each side is a great way to go.

A Spartacus campaign would be awesome. Move from villa to villa, liberating slaves while trying to stay one step head of the consular armies chasing you down. But the Roman era is full of these kinds of campaigns.

Instead of a R/FOTS style expansion I'd like to see (and this is in general for Total War games) expansions on the Peninsula War/Medieval 2: Kindoms theme. Keep the tactical fundamental essentially the same but play about with the core ruleset for the strategic map in ways that create situations where different kinds of tactical battles happen.

e: Alexander for example didn't substantially have different units to Rome (just different stats and a skin or two if I recall correctly). But it managed to create a completely different sense of tension in the battles because you had to attack and you had to win or you'd fall behind schedule and you just didn't have that pressure in Rome.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
They'd obviously have to do a campaign where you're Hannibal. That just goes without saying. Spartacus would be really good too. Or a mini campaign where you're one of the many dumb Roman leaders who got led into the Parthian desert by local guides who were told were to go by the Parthians and you have to escape. That's probably too specific though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm thinking that we are in the "rise" section of the Roman empire, it wouldn't surprise me if we see one of the larger DLC being the various barbarian invasions.

And in terms of other DLC? I am thinking that there will be at least one "joke" option that replaces everyone with elephants.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

PBJ posted:

Oh god, they have a white nationalist on the twc forums. Hahahahaha

Their politics/history forum has more than one unironic Nazi, Stalinist, and 3rd World Maoist.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm going through Fall of The Samurai at the moment, and I'm the very end of the campaign where I'm fighting all out against basically every faction but really good allies, and you know I just realized.

I hate the naval system of Total War. Not that it's really bad or anything, it's just to have a fleet that could defend my cities or trade- I would need to spend so much money it would be impossible to build an army to attack or defend my territory. I would really like a system like Rome 2 has where you build entire fleets, much like you build entire armies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can't imagine defending trade routes as anyone but Shimazu without the Black Ship. I eventually just gave up the Ainu iron trade because literally everything else was on the other side of the map and I had to encircle the entire western half.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm going through Fall of The Samurai at the moment, and I'm the very end of the campaign where I'm fighting all out against basically every faction but really good allies, and you know I just realized.

I hate the naval system of Total War. Not that it's really bad or anything, it's just to have a fleet that could defend my cities or trade- I would need to spend so much money it would be impossible to build an army to attack or defend my territory. I would really like a system like Rome 2 has where you build entire fleets, much like you build entire armies.

Naval would work so much better if they just made it into regions like the original Shogun/Medieval.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Their politics/history forum has more than one unironic Nazi, Stalinist, and 3rd World Maoist.

And Serbian Nationalists as far as the eye can see.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I'd quite like a stab at either of the civil wars caused by the collapse of the two triumvirate. A first triumvirate campaign that starts with Crassus's death and has you lead either an establishment faction burdened by Pompey's advancing years or a Caesarian faction that has to connive it's way to strength would own. It also may well be beyond what RTW2 is capable of.

A strongly scripted 2nd Triumvirate campaign to make sure all the side switching and back stabbing occurred would also be drat cool.

Comedy option: Year of Four Emperors campaign where all generals and maybe even individual units are likely to betray you at any time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Caligula: Empire built on bathhouses. Dock your entire navy side-by-side and run chariot races along it. Invade a wetland. Diplomacy options include intermissions to bone the other side's wife.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Goddamn, the only thing more atrocious than the TWC userbase's membership is their spelling.

Edit: Serbian nationalists? Tell me more. :allears:

Edit 2: Perfect gamers.txt material:

That Prometheus guy posted:

I do not see anything racist in it , In LAtin the word for black is Niger , the Medieval total war 2 had the "Negro spearmen" unit ...

unless I am mistaken with rome total war negro spearmen , ... its how CA called the unit and I remade that wording , so I didn't invent that word .
Total War Center delenda est!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 15, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'd like to see a 'blatantly ahistorical units' DLC, just to cause more grog wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Edit: something occurs to me. The scale of armies and cities is so deflated that the largest stack you can put together (assuming default unit size) is only like 2000 men. What happens if you reduce the scale of the campaign to a single (rich) province and reduce the timescale to a few days? You could play out something like the Nike revolts; instead of buildings, the revolting player purchases gang assistance or bribes officers to be able to recruit better units.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 15, 2013

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'd like to see a 'blatantly ahistorical units' DLC, just to cause more grog wailing and gnashing of teeth.
I wonder if they could get the license for Microsoft's spartan.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

brozozo posted:

Honestly Trojan War would be fun with all the hero units.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Has anyone toyed with the idea of inviting the CA community reps to SA? At the rate the TWC boards are going, I'm pretty sure they're ready to blow their brains at the office.

Hell, I'd be willing to kick in ten bucks to buy them an account.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the Hannibal/civil war/servile war/greek vs persians stuff would be better done the way CA did the FOTS historic battles(Fall of the Republic? yeah? yeah!). Those came off really nicely, and as a bonus I'll actually know what's going on before hand this time.

For DLC campaigns Rise/Fall of Macedon. Wars of Muhammad?(complete with blurred up pics of 'the prophet') That Abu Bakr guy was some kind of badass(better yet, an Eastern Empire campaign that includes the emergent Islam as a playable faction). You could also reach way back for Egyptian Golden Age... might be a bit boorish though, I'd want to play as Hittites or Assyrians.

40 years in the Desert Mod? Old Testament Total War?

tables
Jul 7, 2011

tables
I'm finally building a gaming rig and the battles are going to be glorious. Ultra everything, biggest unit sizes, all that. Are there any mods that make the unit sizes ridiculous for Napoleon?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I remember the Graal Knights giving someone I know a conniption when they spawned into the game in Barbarian Invasion when you invaded Britain and took Londinium.

As far as DLC goes, I wouldn't mind just another go at that period. Trying to hold together the Western Roman Empire while your economy falls over, the East stabs you in the back, half your legions desert and barbarian hordes descend from all around was one of the better experiences I've had with strategy games.

Something earlier would be really cool too, though. Hopefully they'll do what they did with Shogun 2 and have expansion campaigns either side of the original game's time period.

Space Wizard posted:

Has anyone toyed with the idea of inviting the CA community reps to SA? At the rate the TWC boards are going, I'm pretty sure they're ready to blow their brains at the office.

+1 for this. I'd happily contribute in order to give CA an alternative to that horrible clusterfuck.

Endman fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 15, 2013

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Space Wizard posted:

I'm sure we would all be happy to have them around, although I don't think anyone has specifically invited them. It might be worth doing honestly, I think it would be great to have a CA rep here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'll drop some money for them to join up with us.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Comedy option: Year of Four Emperors campaign where all generals and maybe even individual units are likely to betray you at any time.
I did joke about a year of the four emperors subcampaign during all the hubub about 1YPT was all the (actual) rage, but it would be hilarious and cool if they could pull that off (or hell I'd like to see Paradox find a way to pull that off in one of their grand strategy games).

I'd be absolutely loving hilarious to have the entire game span one year and each turn would be 2 days or something.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'll drop some money for them to join up with us.

I imagine it should be Craig Laycock their Community Manager or Jack Lusted their Lead Unit Designer we should invite, since those are the two that seem to do the majority of their communications.

Probably Craig Laycock would be our best bet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holy poo poo, the Uesugi are a tough nation to play. You even think about defending your vassal and suddenly the Date jump you with a doom stack. If not them, than the Takeda, or the Hojo, or the Imagawa.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shumagorath posted:

I wonder if they could get the license for Microsoft's spartan.

...They shouldn't need to. Anyone remember Spartan: Total Warrior? Wasn't exactly impressive, but they used a lot of fantasy stuff for it, and they DID put the Total War name on it, so they should still have access to it.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Space Wizard posted:

As annoying as TWC is, it's still thousands of potential customers compared to the couple dozen or so who post regularly in this thread. I doubt they'd waste their time.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

As annoying as TWC is, it's still thousands of potential customers compared to the couple dozen or so who post regularly in this thread. I doubt they'd waste their time.

Well the Paradox guys post in their thread.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Bloodly posted:

...They shouldn't need to. Anyone remember Spartan: Total Warrior? Wasn't exactly impressive, but they used a lot of fantasy stuff for it, and they DID put the Total War name on it, so they should still have access to it.

Pretty he means the guys from Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Well the Paradox guys post in their thread.

I'm genuinely surprised there ain't one or two already here. Lotta goons in game development. I think they might take an invitation if one of us fronts the money for an account. We just gotta spin the invite right.

"If you send one of your reps to post on SA, he'll find a thread full of people interested in your games who aren't complete cocks and only rarely threaten heads of state."

Something like that. I mean, hell, we only have one Total War thread, so it's not like they'd really have a lot to read.