Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Stitecin posted:

I am still looking for a good deal on a used dual sport, and I came across this http://www.santarosapowersports.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=8657473E-02X6K11K2013J12I36I20JPMQ3103R0&veh=3170013. Is this a retarded thing to buy? Is it a fair price, I've watched the price tick down from $4,499.

Z3n posted:

Some of the early LC4 engines had bearing issues - check out the ADV rider thread on LC4s and read through it. If you're prepared to take that on (and the vibes), they're great bikes.

Yup, that's a black engine 640, the stock clutch bearings are made of cheese and rocks. Make sure they've been checked/replaced, if so, go for it. It's a cracking bike, just expect more vibes and smaller intervals than a KLR or whatever (in exchange for more wheelies and brap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Halo_4am posted:

Of the new bikes out there battling for best of the budget class I'd go with Honda's new CTX over the Bolt. They're about the same power wise, and the CTX has a lot more bells and whistles for the money. I'd bet you could get one faired and with ABS for the $7,500 they want for a Bolt.

That's on paper anyway. They're dramatically different styles of bike, and that means a lot too. Considering you're cross shopping with a Sporty I'm not sure you'll like the looks of the CTX.
Stats aside, Honda is very unappealing to me. I've gone over to the dealership to see the Bolt in person. Surprisingly, every fender is actual steel and those shiny plastic-looking bits are aluminum. SpecR version is due in a month or two and comes with satin metallic paint and external reservoir shocks. They'l be calling me for a test ride as soon as it arrives. Looking forward to taking it on a highway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

slickmcwilly posted:

My first bike was a newgen ninja 250 and yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking too do haha. KBB says it's worth $3840 in my area, so are there any estimates on what would be a good first offer for it? I was thinking something like $3500.

Nice. I had a Ninja250, then a S3R and bought a DRZ400S for a gently caress around bike, the poor S3R has been spending a lot of time in my garage this summer I'm afraid. I would just go cash in hand and offer him like 300-400 under, see what he says. I have to admit though, it seems he did a lot of work for you with the mods and the bike looks clean, so I wouldn't lowball him a lot on it. Ask him what he did with the suspension too, my bike the PO obviously monkeyed around with it, and he must have been a bigger guy because the goddamn bike would endo like I was riding a horse on jumps. I'm still working on getting it set up right.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Nitrox posted:

Stats aside, Honda is very unappealing to me. I've gone over to the dealership to see the Bolt in person. Surprisingly, every fender is actual steel and those shiny plastic-looking bits are aluminum. SpecR version is due in a month or two and comes with satin metallic paint and external reservoir shocks. They'l be calling me for a test ride as soon as it arrives. Looking forward to taking it on a highway

Well, I know what I want for my second bike.

Demo days near Chicago on the 22nd and 29th.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Well, I know what I want for my second bike.

Demo days near Chicago on the 22nd and 29th.
Please post a trip report, especially if you get to go over 80mph.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Nitrox posted:

A few of them are out there from the recent demo days in NY. Conclusion was the bike feels strung out over 90mph. The reviewer I read demoed it alongside an R1 and a Gen2 max, so strung out may be relative to those bikes, but I didn't get that impression.

Runs good up to 90mph is a ringing endorsement for a modern <1000cc cruiser if you ask me.

slickmcwilly
Nov 3, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Nice. I had a Ninja250, then a S3R and bought a DRZ400S for a gently caress around bike, the poor S3R has been spending a lot of time in my garage this summer I'm afraid. I would just go cash in hand and offer him like 300-400 under, see what he says. I have to admit though, it seems he did a lot of work for you with the mods and the bike looks clean, so I wouldn't lowball him a lot on it. Ask him what he did with the suspension too, my bike the PO obviously monkeyed around with it, and he must have been a bigger guy because the goddamn bike would endo like I was riding a horse on jumps. I'm still working on getting it set up right.

Well, I was talking to the guy for a couple days and stopped hearing back from him.

But, I did find this 2009 Yamaha FZ6R that looked nice: http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3862432415.html so I went and checked it out. It looks pretty drat good, so unless there's something really terrible about them that I don't know about, I think I'm gonna jump on it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They got a bit weaker motor than the early FZ6s if I remember correctly but in general it's a good all around city bike. Very comfortable compared to many other bikes I've sat on.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Nitrox posted:

I test rode one at the local dealership though only to about 55mph, a non-Rspec.

What I liked:

1. Aesthetics. Yeah it's a sporty clone, but ends up looking more modern and less like something your grandpa might ride.
2. Ergos. Pegs are not too far forward and handlebars are right where you want them.
3. Ride. Very smooth, suspension soaks the bumps much better than the 750 spirit I rode after.
4. Engine. For me a 950 hits the sweet spot of displacement.

What I didn't like:

1. Digital speedo. Sorry, it sucks. Give me a dial any day. On a sunny day I don't think it would be legible at all.
2. Seat. Not very comfortable, at least for me. The Stryker sitting next to it had a MUCH better seat.

I am seriously considering buying one, considering the interest rates available and the local used market being devoid of anything worth buying.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://rideapart.com/2013/06/how-the-yamaha-fz-09-compares-to-the-fz8/

Big notes:

113HP, 60 foot pounds of torque, 413 pounds wet, $7,990 MSRP.

That SV800 with decent suspension and a bit more power that I always wanted? Looks like it ended up getting made by Yamaha...the only question now is if you'll be able to swap R6/R1 suspension on it. This could be a hell of a bike for Yamaha.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

Big notes:

That SV800 with decent suspension and a bit more power that I always wanted? Looks like it ended up getting made by Yamaha...the only question now is if you'll be able to swap R6/R1 suspension on it. This could be a hell of a bike for Yamaha.

Well, I know what I'm going to replace my FZ1 with as soon as possible. :fap:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gweenz posted:

I test rode one at the local dealership though only to about 55mph, a non-Rspec.

What I liked:

1. Aesthetics. Yeah it's a sporty clone, but ends up looking more modern and less like something your grandpa might ride.
2. Ergos. Pegs are not too far forward and handlebars are right where you want them.
3. Ride. Very smooth, suspension soaks the bumps much better than the 750 spirit I rode after.
4. Engine. For me a 950 hits the sweet spot of displacement.

What I didn't like:

1. Digital speedo. Sorry, it sucks. Give me a dial any day. On a sunny day I don't think it would be legible at all.
2. Seat. Not very comfortable, at least for me. The Stryker sitting next to it had a MUCH better seat.

I am seriously considering buying one, considering the interest rates available and the local used market being devoid of anything worth buying.
Thanks. That echoes other reviews I've seen posted online. Everyone hates the digital speedo, especially in direct sunlight.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Thanks. That echoes other reviews I've seen posted online. Everyone hates the digital speedo, especially in direct sunlight.

Odd. I haven't had any problems with the digital speedo on my Yammy, even on very sunny days. Must be something about the design of it or angle it sits at on that particular model.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

Odd. I haven't had any problems with the digital speedo on my Yammy, even on very sunny days. Must be something about the design of it or angle it sits at on that particular model.

For the most part it's ok, but think of an old digital watch, with the black lettering and dark grey background. There's just not enough contrast. Other than my minor complaints I think it's a great bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gweenz posted:

For the most part it's ok, but think of an old digital watch, with the black lettering and dark grey background. There's just not enough contrast. Other than my minor complaints I think it's a great bike.

I never had a problem with the SV's (I assume) much more dated LCD speedo. On most bikes I tend to judge my speed by RPM anyway, don't know if that's really a thing on a slow-revving cruiser though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Cruisers don't tend to have great sightlines for gauges to begin with. I've never understood the point of tiny gauges on the tank. You see the guys who actually care about RPM have big tachos usually well above the bars, which most cruiser aficionados would find unsightly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Gweenz posted:

Ah, my speedo is orange backlit, which probably explains it. Non-backlit LCDs can crawl up its' own rear end and die.

casque
Mar 17, 2009
Could any of you Northern California goons comment on a 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750 as a first bike?

I'm 6'3, 200 pounds. I took the MSF course and have my M1. I'd be using it for my sometimes commute from Sacramento to the East Bay.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Z3n posted:

Big notes:

Yus. Next bike found. I'm so mad at myself for zeroing in on naked standards so early.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If I was looking for a small 150cc bike to learn how to ride what should I be looking for?

I'm not into street bikes but I do like the look of the old honda cb's and bikes like that.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Daric posted:

If I was looking for a small 150cc bike to learn how to ride what should I be looking for?

I'm not into street bikes but I do like the look of the old honda cb's and bikes like that.

Honda has made a huge range of 70s-80s standards...like cl175s, 125s...someone probably has an encyclopedic knowledge of the entire Honda line from those decades but I would just keep looking at craigslist ads with an eye for anything that's a Honda that starts with CB or CL.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm fairly sure the only CB/CL125's sold in the US are ancient - at least pre-1980, if not much older - and if you're looking to learn to ride instead of learning to wrench, you should look for something newer, even if it means more displacement.

If you're outside the US, the above doesn't apply and your options vary by location.

Or you could get a scooter, there are tons new and old in that range.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Daric posted:

In the US Honda made a 125cc in the early 70s, then a 200cc mid 70's to early 80's, then the 185 "Twinstar" for a few years. After that it's pretty much just the Rebel 250 or Nighthawk 250. Yamaha, Kawi, and Suzuki also made sub 200cc bikes though I am not as familiar with those brands. IIRC most of those were 2 strokes.

What's your budget? People often fall into the pitfall of buying a 70's ujm as their first bike because of the looks. It takes about 2 weeks of joyful riding until the stator/rectifier/regulator/coils/carbs/points go out. Suddenly, you're a beginner motorcycle mechanic instead of rider, the bike sits unfixed in the garage, and a negative view of motorcycles and the time spent wrenching on them is formed. If you have the tools and want to learn how to work on them, then it's a fantastic way to do it. Otherwise if you're dead set on that look check out the Suzuki tu250x. It's a single cylinder (fuel injection!) that's styled to look like a 70's standard. Light, simple, and can be had for cheap on the used market.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Gweenz posted:

Otherwise if you're dead set on that look check out the Suzuki tu250x. It's a single cylinder (fuel injection!) that's styled to look like a 70's standard. Light, simple, and can be had for cheap on the used market.

For a given value of cheap, I guess. In three months of searching, I found exactly one for sale on Craigslist, and the asking price was $3500. They haven't been around long enough to get cheap, yet.

MSF course used them, which is why I was looking. They are fun on a bun, and if you can find one I say go for it.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

TheNothingNew posted:

For a given value of cheap, I guess. In three months of searching, I found exactly one for sale on Craigslist, and the asking price was $3500. They haven't been around long enough to get cheap, yet.

MSF course used them, which is why I was looking. They are fun on a bun, and if you can find one I say go for it.

Yeah it's totally dependent on his budget.

Craigslist is nearing the end of its golden era. The "American Pickers" mentality has skyrocketed the prices of used bikes to the point that everything is overvalued. Even newer bikes like the tu250x are not immune. Unfortunately I don't think they've been selling all that well because they are hard to find here too. However with an MSRP of $4,399 (cheaper if you can find a noncurrent) and Suzuki offering as low as 0% financing you can have a brand new bike for probably less than $100 a month, with 0 miles and a warranty. I'd do that way before I'd spend $1,000 to $2000 on a cb125 or cb200 thats going to need fork seals, tires, brakes, gaskets, chain, petcock, carb diaphragms, etc etc. Even after all that the ride is still going to be "nostalgic", which is a nice way of saying loud, buzzy, and uncomfortable. Throttle response? How's next week for you? Liking the looks of a 70's bike is one thing, having the money, time, and knowledge to keep it running is something else entirely. The absolute WORST thing a new rider can do is buy an unreliable bike. The average person will put the bike in the garage when it breaks and dismiss all 2 wheeled vehicles as "unreliable", never to ride again. Just my opinion, which 2 years ago was totally different, but the used market really is poo poo right now.

<~ CB360 and CL350 in the garage

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is now a good time to put my bike up for sale? It's a suzuki gz250, great beginner/learner bike and I've outgrown it in less than a year. My only fear is not finding a replacement, as Craigslist looking really dry right now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nitrox posted:

Is now a good time to put my bike up for sale? It's a suzuki gz250, great beginner/learner bike and I've outgrown it in less than a year. My only fear is not finding a replacement, as Craigslist looking really dry right now.

The market opens up a little bit in the fall. You could sell your bike now and buy a replacement in September or so, or you could be a two-bike person until next spring and get a higher price.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
As noted in my recently-posted CA thread "Someone torched my motorcycle last night", I'm looking to get back into the motorcycle market once I figure out a way to not have my next bike burned to the ground.

The totalled one was a '91 Ninja 500, a design I overall liked because it had wheels an inch smaller than the later 500s; since I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam height is an issue. I've previously owned two (non-sequential) Honda Nighthawk 250s (the second one stolen in DC, this city sucks for bikes) and a Triumph. I really enjoyed the flickabiity of the little Hondas, but they were just a little short on balls for the open road. The Triumph was fine on the open road, but felt clunky and boat-like in the city. I think overall my goals are:

- Generally naked, mostly upright position, fits a 5'6" guy with 29" inseam with feet reasonably close to flat. I've found that seat height alone isn't a determinant, as there are some fat bikes I can't straddle, but slightly taller thin bikes I can. The new Honda CBR500 series I can straddle fine, same for the Ninja 650; the SV650 is a little close but I can do it
- Something reasonably easy to find used and maintain
- Something where a decent used one can be found around $3K or less
- I don't mind buying a cosmetically beat one as long as its structurally okay, since DC is hard on motorcycles

The bikes I'm most excited by are the Zero Z and the KTM 390. But I'm not paying $12K for a bike, and it'd be ludicrous without safe off-street parking with an electric charger. Friends of mine in nicer buildings have that, but I live in a sketchier area. And the KTM 390 isn't due out in the States for a while, and again a nice new bike is maybe not the best bet.

Looking over Craigslist, the main things that are jumping out at me are to just shrug and get a cheap streetfightered Ninja 250. Not ideal for passengers or interstate but should be an okay city bike and quiet highways. Or bump it up and get a naked SV650 or Ninja 650. It sucks that all the good 300-500cc bikes are too new to be on the resale market yet, so my main options are a little weaker than I want a little more power than I generally need in city and suburbs. Suggestions, or is that pretty much the list?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The GS500 might be a good bike to add to your list.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I don't know how much they run over there but a ducati monster (M600 / M620) is pretty famous for being great with the height challenged among us.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

M42 posted:

The GS500 might be a good bike to add to your list.

That's actually a good reminder; another utilitarian/"messenger" bike. My vague impression from my old research was that the stock Ninja 500 has better numbers (50 vs 40hp?), but the Ninja is built pretty much to the ragged edge of capacity, while the GS is pretty heavily restricted and perks up a lot with rejetting and aftermarket exhaust. I also like the fact that the GS comes naked, whereas my project to streetfighter my EX just dawdled on forever because I'm really just not very mechanical beyond basic maintenance.

As cool as the Ducati Monster is, even a 2000ish 600/620 would run me at least $3k, high maintenance, and a theft-worthy brand-name. Great looking though.

http://smd.craigslist.org/mcy/3806806174.html

This one looks pretty cool, clubmans bar-ends (both of which I'd possibly have bought anyway), new brakes and tires, rejetted, K&N filter, etc. No mention of mileage, but the main downside is the guy is almost an hour away from even the nearest subway station, and I have no car, so might take some convincing to get him to come to me or a friend to drive me down. Might call him to get some more details, but $1600 for a 2002 in proper upkeep sounds not terrible (KBB says $1,535 dealer retail). I dunno, maybe strongarm the guy into meeting me at the closest suburban Metro station if he's so hurried to sell?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Looks good. The GS500 looks way better streetfightered than a Ninja 500 could ever be (that's why I sold mine, it was even more fugly sans fairings).

Anything to make a buy more convenient for yourself is good.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I just got job security so I'm looking at a new bike purchase :getin:

Thus far, I've owned the following:
50cc Genuine Scooter
2 Ninja 250's
Ninja 500
4 SV650's - currently own one outfitted for a tall person (me) with lower gearing
2 Ninja 636's - currently own one, also outfitted for tallness with lower gearing

The fastest bike I've tried would be a Buell X9s lightning,
I want one of the following:
Buell 9 or 12 S
Kwak Z1000
Tuono V2
A typical liter bike, streetfightered out
Bandit 12 (but needs the necessary suspension mods)

I love the torquey punch of my SV, but also love the insatiable shriek of my 636. I want a bike that's good for passengers - my SV is like a cuddly couch, while my 636 makes passengers sit precariously on a knife jutting out in the air. I also am currently living in a small city without a garage. I will be moving soon, hopefully for an unit with a garage, but I prefer a bike that isn't quite thief-worthy.

alk4life
Jul 22, 2004

casque posted:

Could any of you Northern California goons comment on a 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750 as a first bike?

I'm 6'3, 200 pounds. I took the MSF course and have my M1. I'd be using it for my sometimes commute from Sacramento to the East Bay.

I'm 6'2" 190 lbs. I started on a Honda '89 VTR250. It was probably for the best that I started small, but the bike was physically very small for me and the lack of power got old very fast. Within a year I moved up to a Honda '84 CB700SC. I'm pretty sure I would have been ok starting with the Nighthawk. Just make sure you take things slow at first. The throttle is pretty forgiving so you shouldn't get into trouble. It is much heavier than a 250, but at your height you can flat foot it so tipping shouldn't be an issue. It has a gear indicator, which is really nice for a beginner. Downsides are crappy range and mpg. I fill up every 100 miles and get in the 30s gas mileage.

I'm not sure what the differences between the 700 and the 750 are but I have some general advice about old Nighthawks:
Ride it often, don't let it sit. Things go wrong when you let it sit. If you know you're going to let it sit for a while, drain the carbs! Pulling the carbs is a nightmare when rubber is rock hard. Also, park inside if you can. If you can't, keep it clean and dry. My fork tubes rusted and I had to wait until a used pair popped up on ebay to replace them. I think the parts availability for 750 Nighthawks is MUCH better than 700s though.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

the walkin dude posted:

I just got job security so I'm looking at a new bike purchase :getin:

Thus far, I've owned the following:
50cc Genuine Scooter
2 Ninja 250's
Ninja 500
4 SV650's - currently own one outfitted for a tall person (me) with lower gearing
2 Ninja 636's - currently own one, also outfitted for tallness with lower gearing

Buell 9 or 12 S
Kwak Z1000
Tuono V2

I love the torquey punch of my SV, but also love the insatiable shriek of my 636. I want a bike that's good for passengers - my SV is like a cuddly couch, while my 636 makes passengers sit precariously on a knife jutting out in the air. I also am currently living in a small city without a garage. I will be moving soon, hopefully for an unit with a garage, but I prefer a bike that isn't quite thief-worthy.

Sounda kinda like you want a sport tourer, so Honda VFR, BMW R1100S, Aprilia Falco/Futura, Yamaha Fz1, etc come to mind.

Love my tuono, not sure that it's any more passenger friendly than a sportbike though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Any of those S-Ts are going to be thief bait, though. The Bandit 12 (or a moderately scruffy ZRX) sound like a better bet.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yep. :( I think an Ape is probably out of the question - who wouldn't want to resist rubbing their dicks on a iconized lion sitting around in a city? So, banal commonality of aesthetics matter to me.

Found these:
ZRX 1200
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3846833512.html

SuperHawk VTR1000
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3861298543.html

2000 Bandit 12's - those have been hanging around on CL for at least a year - suspicious? Or indicative of my own desired level of thief-worthiness, as nobody wants 'em?
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3819667953.html
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3814923989.html

Leaning toward the VTR because it's closer and more up my alley (powerful, noisy, trellis frame, 100+ hp vtwin). The only thing that bothers me are the giant carbs and resultant poo poo gas consumption. And suspension, I think.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 17, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Yep. :( I think an Ape is probably out of the question - who wouldn't want to resist rubbing their dicks on a iconized lion sitting around in a city? So, banal commonality of aesthetics matter to me.

Found these:
ZRX 1200
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3846833512.html

SuperHawk VTR1000
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3861298543.html

2000 Bandit 12's - those have been hanging around on CL for at least a year - suspicious? Or indicative of my own desired level of thief-worthiness, as nobody wants 'em?
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3819667953.html
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3814923989.html

Leaning toward the VTR because it's closer and more up my alley (powerful, noisy, trellis frame, 100+ hp vtwin). The only thing that bothers me are the giant carbs and resultant poo poo gas consumption. And suspension, I think.

Those VTRs do get some pretty terrible fuel mileage. Less than 30mpg (US), and only a 16 liter tank pre-2001. That one you posted at least has the bigger 19l tank.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

Buell 9 or 12 S
Kwak Z1000
Tuono V2

Buell advice: The 9 is revvier than the 12, but the 12 comes in a Long version that's longer and wider (and taller for 2009+) than the standard one + a bigger fuel tank. Its seat is very comfortable and fine for two-up riding. The Ulysses is even more comfortable and comes with a passenger back rest, but it's a dual sport, not a streetfighter. The 9 has ~80HP and the 12 ~100. The engines are of course old fashioned and have a low rev limit, unless you go for the water cooled 1125 models, which look like poo poo. I mean riding them will be very different than a literbike or a bandit, so maybe you should nail down what kind of an engine you want.

The ownership experience will be more trying than with a bike like an SV though, parts aren't difficult to get but the brand has been dead for 3 years now so you'll have to look a bit harder, and if you're not doing your own work it could be difficult to find a mechanic who can work on them. They're very simple bikes but any work to do with the top end (other than spark plugs) requires rotating the engine out of the frame, probably goes for work on the starter too. There's great online forums/tutorials though.

The engines are very reliable, but there's design/fit issues like the clutch cable wearing against the chin spoiler, intake rubbers that start leaking, I had a leaking rocker cover gasket (stock too thin), the stock exhaust system rusts (and the headers get weird brown spots but don't actually get rusty). My wheel bearings were worn out within 5000 miles. On the other hand, as long as poo poo don't break you don't have to adjust valves or clean/adjust a chain. Being that the engines are air cooled, of old design, and pretty hopped up they don't take to abuse well, i.e. you should ride gently at first to warm them up, etc.

Later model years are definitely better, I wouldn't got pre 2006, 2008 and later have a better engine and oil cooler and 2009/2010 have a better front brake.

As for theft, nobody knows what it is and I think it'd be much easier to break and sell parts off a more common bike.

Suspension is high quality and the fuel consumption is pretty good, some people (not me) have been able to reach 50mpg. But I think that's with completely stock bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

That's actually a good reminder; another utilitarian/"messenger" bike. My vague impression from my old research was that the stock Ninja 500 has better numbers (50 vs 40hp?), but the Ninja is built pretty much to the ragged edge of capacity, while the GS is pretty heavily restricted and perks up a lot with rejetting and aftermarket exhaust. I also like the fact that the GS comes naked, whereas my project to streetfighter my EX just dawdled on forever because I'm really just not very mechanical beyond basic maintenance.

As cool as the Ducati Monster is, even a 2000ish 600/620 would run me at least $3k, high maintenance, and a theft-worthy brand-name. Great looking though.

http://smd.craigslist.org/mcy/3806806174.html

This one looks pretty cool, clubmans bar-ends (both of which I'd possibly have bought anyway), new brakes and tires, rejetted, K&N filter, etc. No mention of mileage, but the main downside is the guy is almost an hour away from even the nearest subway station, and I have no car, so might take some convincing to get him to come to me or a friend to drive me down. Might call him to get some more details, but $1600 for a 2002 in proper upkeep sounds not terrible (KBB says $1,535 dealer retail). I dunno, maybe strongarm the guy into meeting me at the closest suburban Metro station if he's so hurried to sell?

The idea that a ninja 500 is built to the "ragged edge of performance" is loving hilarious. The reason that the ninja 500 makes more HP is because it's watercooled, with the associated better design and tolerances as a result.