Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Brightman posted:

Now I'm just hoping for this chapter to be a crazy adventure and at the end of it Reynard meets back up with Annie and Kat and they've clearly had a crazy time too, and the next chapter is whatever that was.

But what if that crazy adventure has to do with the haunted teapot (The Haunted Teapot Returns)? Then we'll NEVER know what Annie and Kat got up to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blackheart posted:

She JUST appeared and some comments are already shipping her and Reynardine... :confused:

It's the difference between e-mail and real ("snail") mail. On the Internet, shipping is near-instantaneous.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Cat Mattress posted:

It's the difference between e-mail and real ("snail") mail. On the Internet, shipping is near-instantaneous.

The other difference being that shipping in terms of the internet, means a terrible thing. Not as terrible as Boxbot, but close.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kuros posted:

The other difference being that shipping in terms of the internet, means a terrible thing. Not as terrible as Boxbot, but close.

So would shipping a Flat-Rate Boxbot then be the the worst thing?

Hetty is definitely some sort of living doll. I wonder how many times she and Reynardine have teamed up.

Her eyebrows in the last panel look almost... spiteful?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But what if that crazy adventure has to do with the haunted teapot (The Haunted Teapot Returns)? Then we'll NEVER know what Annie and Kat got up to!

the haunted teapot is

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She seems much too... comfortable with her emotions for a court robot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If it's not wily Coyote in disguise, then I'm betting she's a former forest denizen. 'Cause she definitely doesn't seem very "court-like" to me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That's Hedley.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Teron D Amun posted:

the haunted teapot is

The worst cup of tea.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Jesus, whoever bought me that avatar, up yours and bless you at the same time! :gbsmith:

It only took one post in this thread, apparently.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Jesus, whoever bought me that avatar, up yours and bless you at the same time! :gbsmith:

It only took one post in this thread, apparently.

The Avatar fairy strikes again! :allears:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Man you guys really broke down a character we know nothing about save a panel or two. might want to see where things go first :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Finally, Gunnerkrigg Court has its main antagonist!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

... so am I the only one who immediately assumed we were seeing some kind of Reynardine dreamworld, where in reality he's playing with dolls and building up an imaginary world around them to help deal with how lonely he is? Like... a BMO Noire situation, for those who've watched Adventure Time. Except instead of a chicken, it's a little wooden doll.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

THANK YOU. Oof, I was saying it aloud every time someone said "Hetty".

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

... so am I the only one who immediately assumed we were seeing some kind of Reynardine dreamworld, where in reality he's playing with dolls and building up an imaginary world around them to help deal with how lonely he is? Like... a BMO Noire situation, for those who've watched Adventure Time. Except instead of a chicken, it's a little wooden doll.

I've been thinking it might be something like this. We'll see how many enchanted toys he meets this chapter.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's probably more than a few possessed/living toys at the court, you guys.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I don't think that sort of unreliable narrator sort of story is very in-character for GC. On the other hand, having obscure characters from old myths and stories show up out of nowhere is pretty likely.

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I don't think that sort of unreliable narrator sort of story is very in-character for GC. On the other hand, having obscure characters from old myths and stories show up out of nowhere is pretty likely.

we've seen "unreliable" narrators several times before (granted, mostly when zimmy's involved, but still).

more specifically, different ways of seeing seem to be really important throughout the comic (from the early stuff with mort and the minotaur to the later stuff with "the real ysengrin" and seeing through the ether generally) on top of zimmy's deal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AntimatterSpork posted:

we've seen "unreliable" narrators several times before (granted, mostly when zimmy's involved, but still).

With Zimmy it's less an unreliable narrator and more of an unreliable reality.

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.

MikeJF posted:

With Zimmy it's less an unreliable narrator and more of an unreliable reality.

what do you think is the difference?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AntimatterSpork posted:

what do you think is the difference?

What you see on the videotape.

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.

MikeJF posted:

What you see on the videotape.

what videotape?

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Evil or not, I am completely taken with Ms. Hetty. I think she is adorable.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I really doubt she's evil, she just looks mischievous. I think she's hella adorable and probably a possessed doll (look at how her fingers connect with her hands, and her neck also has what looks like a dividing line). I also wonder about the sparkly orange dust around her.

Or maybe this is all Renard playing with his imaginary friends/toys.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Wow, I haven't had such an instant dislike for a character in GKC as I have with Hetty.
Even Boxbot?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Blackheart posted:

I really doubt she's evil, she just looks mischievous.

This is how I saw her. Considering how good this comic is at trickster mythology and amorality vs immorality it's a relatively safe bet.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hetty seems nice enough.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hetty is the real villain of Gunnerkrigg Court.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

She is way more evil then any of you could ever have predicted. That fiend!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Reynard get away from her :stonk:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Strangely she reminds me of Barry the Bass. Renard seems pretty darn excited to be chatting with Hetty.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I did some research for costume-making materials and read about pink insulation foam. Then I read about what happens if that stuff touches your skin or enters your lungs.

Yeah, that's pretty fuckin' evil.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Renard seems pretty darn excited to be chatting with Hetty.

Unless this is sarcasm that I'm spectacularly missing, I'd say he seems the exact opposite.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

AE-35 Unit posted:

Unless this is sarcasm that I'm spectacularly missing, I'd say he seems the exact opposite.

I don't think it was sarcasm. I mean, just look how thrilled he is to see his new evil trickster girlfriend! :3:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Wanna see Hetty pull a prank like that on Ysengrin.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I really don't like that doll.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drawing a blank at Adam being a new or old character. But dont let that stop you Hetty, keep going. :allears:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Casull posted:

I did some research for costume-making materials and read about pink insulation foam. Then I read about what happens if that stuff touches your skin or enters your lungs.

Yeah, that's pretty fuckin' evil.

She may well be doing that to another toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Laser Cow posted:

I really don't like that doll.

That's weird, because I think she's the best :allears:.