Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/megadeth/2013/o2-academy-brixton-london-england-23d9f06b.html

That's a recent setlist. Mostly old stuff with a couple smoke/drink/poo poo breaks strategically placed throughout.

Mustaine's nuttiness aside they're not bad live. A little slow since the hired guns (Dave too probably) can't play the old songs at speed, but whatever.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Whats the pit etiquette? Like , if I got a good spot in the pit, and during one of the breaks I hit the bathroom or whatever I have to pretty much fight back to my spot?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Whats the pit etiquette? Like , if I got a good spot in the pit, and during one of the breaks I hit the bathroom or whatever I have to pretty much fight back to my spot?

Yes. Basically, it's everybody for themselves.

However, you don't have to be a douche about it or anything.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Hammer Floyd posted:

However, you don't have to be a douche about it or anything.

Some people are experts with elbow placement. "Oh am I stabbing you in the ribs for the past hour?"

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The solution is to be so loving jacked that no one in the pit can stop you from taking whatever spot you want.

e: This is easy since most metalheads are pasty nerds.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well the pit and the crowd are two different things, the pit is active and moving and it's not difficult to move to where you want to be (though you'll get knocked into), but trying to make your way to the pit is another matter altogether.

Also, anecdote from the last MDF, I mistimed my entry to the Bolt Thrower crowd and was stuck like 2/3 of the way from the stage, when this fat Latino dude comes through yelling "GET TO THE PIT! GET TO THE PIT!", followed by his skinny buddy apologizing for him. I just followed that guy and it worked pretty well. So basically if you're fat, yell GET TO THE PIT while pushing through, and if you're skinny, find a fat buddy to yell for you and you apologize for him.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
One more note on pit etiquette: Don't be that rear end in a top hat who pushes people into the pit who clearly don't want to be there. The pit is a consensual thing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm too much of a wimp to want to go into a moshpit myself, but I still appreciate a good moshpit and like to hang around at the periphery. I find it just adds to the atmosphere even if I'm not grinding my own face on someone's studded vest.

I saw Finntroll at a festival a week ago, and the pit was loving great. Wiry nerds, bearded fat bastards, mohawk-sporting punks and corset-wearing goth princesses all running and shoving eachother about and having fun. And every now and then they spontaneously switched to line-dancing (except in a circle, but you get the idea). Two dozen complete strangers with arms on eachother's shoulders kicking the air and grinning like idiots. Fantastic.

On the other end of the spectrum there was this Arch Enemy gig a few years back where some bunch of assholes just kept charging about and running into people with no regard to anything, which just caused the entire loving audience to heave about like a cross between a wheat field and a formation of dominoes. I got the gently caress out of there and later heard some girl had actually gotten seriously hurt. :(

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

het posted:

One more note on pit etiquette: Don't be that rear end in a top hat who pushes people into the pit who clearly don't want to be there. The pit is a consensual thing.

Note: If there is a large pit in the middle, don't start your own pit with your one other friend in the middle of the people standing in one place that are obviously there to watch the band and not mosh. You will get thrown into the pit. And probably elbowed.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

het posted:

Also, anecdote from the last MDF, I mistimed my entry to the Bolt Thrower crowd and was stuck like 2/3 of the way from the stage, when this fat Latino dude comes through yelling "GET TO THE PIT! GET TO THE PIT!", followed by his skinny buddy apologizing for him. I just followed that guy and it worked pretty well. So basically if you're fat, yell GET TO THE PIT while pushing through, and if you're skinny, find a fat buddy to yell for you and you apologize for him.

As a fat dude who loves getting to the front of the stage and getting in pits, this is exactly how it should be done. Most of my friends are tall and lanky wafers, so they usually just followed my lead if they want to be up front.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
New Amon Amarth has just leaked.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Kalmah's new album is out tomorrow and that reminds me of something, how do you guys buy new music? Do you guys get it straight from the record label's website? (or for the really indie bands; bandcamp) I don't really have access to cool record stores in my area so what are some good online options with digital and physical purchasing?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The best news. Tomorrow's chest day will be of unparalleled power...

fake edit: I'm 3 songs in, loving it. As Loke Falls is pretty fuckin sick. I think it's safe to say that Amon Amarth is done with their older sound though.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Johnny Aztec posted:

Just push through to the pit. After the show you'll just be thinking how good of a time you had in the pit, as opposed to "i wish I had pushed myself up to the pit". Anyone you push through will get over it 5 seconds later.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Wyzt posted:

Just push through to the pit. After the show you'll just be thinking how good of a time you had in the pit, as opposed to "i wish I had pushed myself up to the pit". Anyone you push through will get over it 5 seconds later.

I generally find that people are happy to let you through the crowd into the pit. The people who barge through to get a better standing spot and then stop dead in front of you, leaving you with no personal space are generally arseholes though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Those people are also, without fail, at least five inches taller than you every time.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm 6'6". I'm an rear end in a top hat to everyone behind me wherever I stand. But gently caress leaning against the back wall.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I hate to say it but I'm not loving it after one full listen. No doubt I'll listen to it a few more times but at the moment I think the title track is the best by a mile.

There's no joy for me saying this :(

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

I hate to say it but I'm not loving it after one full listen. No doubt I'll listen to it a few more times but at the moment I think the title track is the best by a mile.

There's no joy for me saying this :(

I really like the album, especially As Loke Falls and Hel. It's the first time they used a second vocalist and I liked it. Father of the Wolf is a bit meh, and none of the songs can beat Runes To My Memory, but it's close.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Seditiar posted:

It's the first time they used a second vocalist and I liked it.

Not true. Guardians of Asgaard had guest vocals from LG Petrov.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone going to Mayhem Fest? What bands are good? I haven't heard of many of them. Of those that are there I wanted to see Behemoth the most but they dropped. Other than that, Amon Amarth, Mastodon, and Machine Head. Haven't listened to Bodom, but I imagine they'd be next.

I want to see this stupid looking band of girls that show their tits though: https://www.facebook.com/ButcherBabiesMusic

http://rockstarmayhemfest.com/bands

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Battlecross is pretty fuckin awesome dude make sure you see them. Born of Osiris has some songs that aren't half bad for deathcore and others that I can't stand. Emmure is terrible. Bodom rarely ever plays this song live but it's still one of my all time favorites. I still think most of the stuff they've done after Hate Crew Deathroll has lacked anything special compared to that and previous albums, but they're a fun band to see live regardless of what they play.

e: Just listened to some Huntress and it seems like they'd be pretty cool to see too

Varg fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 18, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mayhem Fest is always terrible and it looks like you've already figured out who everyone halfway decent is. Maybe Rob Zombie will play some good White Zombie songs and at least be entertaining. Just make sure you avoid Emmure, who might be the worst band of all time.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Haven't listened to Bodom, but I imagine they'd be next.
http://rockstarmayhemfest.com/bands

Bodom is good if you like listening to The Final Countdown sped up with growly vocals. Also, if you squint and tilt your head a bit, Alexi Laiho looks like either Jason Mewes or a moderately attractive off-duty stripper. Plus?

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mayhem Fest is always terrible and it looks like you've already figured out who everyone halfway decent is. Maybe Rob Zombie will play some good White Zombie songs and at least be entertaining. Just make sure you avoid Emmure, who might be the worst band of all time.

Rob Zombie live is painful to watch. He can't remember words, runs out of breath and is just overall horrible. You will be disappointed in them.

As for the others at Mayhem Fest, Children of Bodom are good if they play their older poo poo but they just came out with a new album so scratch that. Machine Head will play their typical 5 to 6 songs and not stray into anything rare. My friends keep wanting me to go to Mayhem fest but I just can't bring myself to doing it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Easy Mac posted:

Rob Zombie live is painful to watch. He can't remember words, runs out of breath and is just overall horrible. You will be disappointed in them.

Can't possibly be as bad as Marilyn Mason is nowadays though, as far as washed-up 90s shock rock goes.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I saw zombie once when he was touring for his second solo album, before we really knew how bad he was without white zombie, and he was incredibly boring even back then. Sat down for some of the show, ran out of breath, even the people in his stage show were kinda boring because nobody would break from the script. They also played maybe 2-3 zombie songs tops and they weren't even the sweet ones like Starface.

If that was around 10 years ago give or take, I can't imagine how bad his show is now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

I saw zombie once when he was touring for his second solo album, before we really knew how bad he was without white zombie, and he was incredibly boring even back then. Sat down for some of the show, ran out of breath, even the people in his stage show were kinda boring because nobody would break from the script. They also played maybe 2-3 zombie songs tops and they weren't even the sweet ones like Starface.

If that was around 10 years ago give or take, I can't imagine how bad his show is now.

I saw him right after Hellbilly Deluxe came out, and that was a pretty rad show.

Bald White Dad
Dec 28, 2004
Just some fag with a computer...on the internets bitch!

Durendal posted:

If you have never checked it out, http://www.progmetalzone.com/ is a pretty great website for keeping up to date on that particular genre of metal (this includes death/doom/etc.), and has lead to me finding some amazing music I would have never heard in a million years.

Votum - Harvest Moon that came out in Febuary for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a09404E5_Q

Hey man thanks for the link, that'll keep me busy for awhile.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't know, I think the new Amon Amarth is killing it. Today's gym time is going to be incredible.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Varg posted:

Battlecross is pretty fuckin awesome dude make sure you see them. Born of Osiris has some songs that aren't half bad for deathcore and others that I can't stand. Emmure is terrible. Bodom rarely ever plays this song live but it's still one of my all time favorites. I still think most of the stuff they've done after Hate Crew Deathroll has lacked anything special compared to that and previous albums, but they're a fun band to see live regardless of what they play.

e: Just listened to some Huntress and it seems like they'd be pretty cool to see too

Two people saying Emmure are terrible? I definitely want to see them then. I'm looking forward to the especially terrible bands and the trashy people that go to see them.

How "death metal" are Job for a Cowboy? I've heard of them before.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

KingKapalone posted:

They're one of the few deathcore bands whose drummer can play a proper blast beat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't know, I think the new Amon Amarth is killing it. Today's gym time is going to be incredible.

One full listen into it and I'm not super into it. I mean, it's Amon Amarth so it's fine, but at the moment I'd rather just throw Versus the World on again.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just make sure you avoid Emmure, who might be the worst band of all time.

Five Finger Death Punch are also in the running for that and they are also at Mayhem Fest so if you're a masochistic goon please check 'em out :toot:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

They were one of the first big deathcore bands and then became really generic DM. I saw them at Gigantour 2008 and they were boring as hell.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I agree. I loving love the new album, but then again, their faster stuff has always been my favorite. After a few albums of more mid-tempo, imposing work, it's good to have an album of theirs that's all crazy melodic riffing and poo poo with only one real "slower" track.

I don't know what it is, but AA is just really the only ones who can do what they do. Maybe it's Johan's vocals or whatever, but there aren't a lot of Death metal bands that can blend the kind of harmonies they do without messing it up in some way, either with vocals that don't fit or something.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I like Warriors of the North a lot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

re: Rob Zombie live, he'll only ever play More Human, Thunder Kiss 65 and if you're lucky, Black Sunshine - I don't know why he doesn't reuinite that loving band and go on tour, it would be the greatest thing ever.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

QPZIL posted:

Can't possibly be as bad as Marilyn Mason is nowadays though, as far as washed-up 90s shock rock goes.

Yeah Manson looks like all he wants to do is go backstage, quietly OD and be over with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Edit: Wrong metal thread. So....how about that new Scale the Summit record?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 19, 2013