Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tijag posted:

2) It isn't so much loss aversion, as I was focusing on the 'draft format' and how the game will work. Obviously there are conflicting elements to the draft. 'Should I draft the best deck I can so I can try to win the tournament, or should I take the cards I want the most for my personal collection/constructed?'. If you only kept the cards that you opened, then that choice is gone, and then everyone would be trying to build the best deck they could, while still having to 'draft' it.
. . .
Clearly I was mistaken in how the draft would work, but it wasn't because I was afraid of losing something in the boosters I opened, it was because I assumed they would be focusing on making the goal of winning the tournament the most important thing, and obviously it may not be to some individuals who are looking to just take the most valuable cards, or cards they need for their constructed deck etc.

Normal draft is three boosters and a "ticket." The "free draft per week" you have as grand king actually pays for both boosters and the ticket, but other drafts, you'll have to buy the ticket in addition to the boosters. The ticket basically pays the prize pot that gets divided up at the end.

The downside of draft is sometimes you have to choose between good cards long term or good cards for winning this one draft game. The upside is that instead of a completely random booster, you get some degree of choice over what cards you get -- i.e., if you get a card that works well for a combo in your first draft, you've got a chance of getting the other half the combo as the leftovers get passed around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
IS the weekly update going to be on the website only, or will there also be a KS update? I'm mildly curious about the Paypal totals.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Karnegal posted:

IS the weekly update going to be on the website only, or will there also be a KS update? I'm mildly curious about the Paypal totals.

They mentioned there would be an update on the final total, so I'm guessing we'll see a KS update at some point today.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

They did say there would be an update today with final totals. I'm curious myself.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
During the campaign, the kickstarter updates typically went out about 2-3 hours after they put up new articles (usually around 3 pm and noon Eastern, respectively).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Drafting all or most of your booster packs is pretty much a no-brainer. There are two strategies that work, and either gives you excellent value for $1.

Strategy 1 is to just raredraft. People will generally pass rares and even some legendaries when they don't fit the deck they're building, so if you don't worry about playing to win then you'll end up with a far better card selection than you'd have got from opening your boosters. Then disconnect after you've got your cards, and your first round opponent gets a bye to the next round. This is generally not considered rude, and CZE aren't banning it, since the only person it really affects is your first round opponent and you've just given them a dramatically increased chance at winning the tournament. (Don't do it in a big tournament, though.)

Strategy 2 is to play to win. In Swiss draft, you're guaranteed at least one booster as long as you don't lose all three matches. (The conjectured prize structure is 3/2/2/2/1/1/1/0 for first through eighth place, like in MTGO.) $1 for a pack is already a good deal. As you play more drafts, you'll get better and win more boosters per draft until on average you're paying 40-60c or less per extra pack. On top of that, if you're looking for a specific rare or legendary (for constructed or for money), you can grab it if you see it without hurting your chances of winning too much. And that's on top of the massive amount of deckbuilding and play practice it gives in an environment where you can't get an advantage by buying swankier cards.

In general, playing to win is the best strategy long-term but also the most time-consuming. Opening boosters is a terrible strategy in terms of returns, but worth it for convenience if a new set is out and you're trying to quickly build up a set of cards for constructed play. Raredrafting is somewhere in the middle.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Captain Capitalism posted:

They did say there would be an update today with final totals. I'm curious myself.

Right on cue

$2,515,255

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

Drafting all or most of your booster packs is pretty much a no-brainer. There are two strategies that work, and either gives you excellent value for $1.

Strategy 1 is to just raredraft. People will generally pass rares and even some legendaries when they don't fit the deck they're building, so if you don't worry about playing to win then you'll end up with a far better card selection than you'd have got from opening your boosters. Then disconnect after you've got your cards, and your first round opponent gets a bye to the next round. This is generally not considered rude, and CZE aren't banning it, since the only person it really affects is your first round opponent and you've just given them a dramatically increased chance at winning the tournament. (Don't do it in a big tournament, though.)

Strategy 2 is to play to win. In Swiss draft, you're guaranteed at least one booster as long as you don't lose all three matches. (The conjectured prize structure is 3/2/2/2/1/1/1/0 for first through eighth place, like in MTGO.) $1 for a pack is already a good deal. As you play more drafts, you'll get better and win more boosters per draft until on average you're paying 40-60c or less per extra pack. On top of that, if you're looking for a specific rare or legendary (for constructed or for money), you can grab it if you see it without hurting your chances of winning too much. And that's on top of the massive amount of deckbuilding and play practice it gives in an environment where you can't get an advantage by buying swankier cards.

In general, playing to win is the best strategy long-term but also the most time-consuming. Opening boosters is a terrible strategy in terms of returns, but worth it for convenience if a new set is out and you're trying to quickly build up a set of cards for constructed play. Raredrafting is somewhere in the middle.

Interesting perspective. I'll need to do something like 140 drafts in a year then, counting the free ones from the PP tier, and then consuming all the boosters from various sources.

Although, I assume in that crazy amount of boosters there will be a few Primal packs, and I'll just open those or sell them on the AH if it really seems better to do so.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Man I'm opening the poo poo out of all my primal packs

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

tijag posted:

Yes, this is what I thought the draft would be. I thought you get to 'draft' your deck from the draft process, but at the end, you keep the cards you opened. I've never played TCG type card game, and never ever done drafts, so this is just confusion/inexperience on my part.

It feels like the game you play with the other people would be more fun if everyone just drafted the best deck they could for that game, because the cards they were getting to keep in their collection was set as soon as they opened each pack.

In real life, it's really neat to get to walk home with your draft deck. Not that you're going to keep it forever, but if you want to show it off to your friends / analyze it further / expand it into a constructed deck (although I'm guessing there's not a lot of overlap between highly-competitive draft decks and highly-competitive constructed decks), you totally can.

I was going to say that for a virtual CCG, I don't think I'd feel the same kind of attachment to a draft deck, but now that I think about it I guess Hex could slap a big "this card was in that deck that won you that draft tournament" stick on its double-back. So maybe it's even cooler to keep the cards you drafted, actually.

On the other hand, yeah, it would be a more pure game to draft solely for the draft and not for trading / deck-building later. Oh well.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

opaopa13 posted:

On the other hand, yeah, it would be a more pure game to draft solely for the draft and not for trading / deck-building later. Oh well.
Well if they do decide to implement phantom drafts at some point, that would cover that niche.

For those that don't know, phantom drafting is a draft where you don't get to keep the cards you used at the end, and thus don't have to provide or cover the cost for the packs used in the draft, just the entry fee.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I don't believe they plan to add phantom drafts, except for one PvE Faction Dungeon focused on giving players a taste of PvP.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Here is a thing: NACC 2013 WoWTCG tournament with pre-Alpha Hex Gameplay

Edit: people actually playing starts at around 6:25

Grim fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 15, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grim posted:

Here is a thing: NACC 2013 WoWTCG tournament with pre-Alpha Hex Gameplay

Edit: people actually playing starts at around 6:25

There's no gameplay in that video whatsoever, just an irritating douchebag with a Hitler moustache.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I guess it was a bit misleading to call it "gameplay", but the point is that real people got to play the real game - I don't know if that was a one-day-only thing but the event runs until the 16th

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Jedit posted:

There's no gameplay in that video whatsoever, just an irritating douchebag with a Hitler moustache.

Wow, so first of all I thought you were joking when you said Hitler mustache. Nope. He is rocking the mother-loving Hitler like it's 1941. Secondly, it's like they hired this guy to be the biggest jackass ever, holy poo poo.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Jedit posted:

Yeah, that was a waste of about 10 minutes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

How did you go ten minutes? I couldn't do ten seconds before 30 years of media training had me foaming at the mouth.

Wanted to punch that Hitler so bad

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Traditional Games › Hex: Shards of Fate - Wanted to punch that Hitler so bad

So, is Crypto only going to post an update once a week or so? I mean, I don't expect them to have a guy writing an article everyday but since they've taken my money it'd be nice to know what's going on.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

BambooEarpick posted:

So, is Crypto only going to post an update once a week or so? I mean, I don't expect them to have a guy writing an article everyday but since they've taken my money it'd be nice to know what's going on.

Weekly updates seem reasonable to me, they gotta ignore the world and get the game working.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Most kickstarters update once every 2 weeks - month after the kickstarter is over from my experience, and those're the ones that communicate well. Have you never pre-ordered a game? In that case you give people money and at best you can troll through gaming sites for info on what you've purchased while waiting for release.

It takes a lot of time to produce quality updates and get the game into a state where you can make screenshots that don't make people who don't know much about the development process freak out, I'd rather they just focused on getting the game out and keep us abreast on major developments/their time table once they know it.

I backed Shadowrun Returns as an example, and it's supposed to release this month. They haven't updated since May 24th and I have no idea when the game's actually coming out. I'm sure it'll make it eventually though.

Kickstarter's not a really good platform for buying things if you get really upset about slipped deadlines and long periods of silence because they're having issues in production and don't want to have to justify every thing they do to a bunch of spergy asshats.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

BambooEarpick posted:

Do you have your kickstarter updates turned off? The KS ended on the 7th and they sent out an update Friday and said they plan on updating weekly.

This is the most updated kickstarter i've ever been apart of. I backed Wasteland 2 and I keep forgetting I backed it except when I get an update once every few months.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
This is the first thing I've ever Kickstarter'd. I wasn't aware that once a week was considered a lot; I feel like not garnering enough attention is a sure fire way to kill off your game. I have a friend that backed SolForge and when I asked him about it he wasn't even sure if it came out yet. (I think it's in beta on ipads?) Hell, I was pumped as heck for Hearthstone when it was first announced and I signed up for the beta but they've been pretty quiet about it since and it seems entirely forgettable now.

I guess I'll just sit tight!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'd rather have weekly updates that pack a punch than daily updates that are dry. I mean what's the best they could really do without spoiling a bunch of cards if they wanted to do daily updates?

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
They've also still got about three months before the beta goes live, and I don't think we've gotten any indication on how long that will last. We also don't know how open they want to keep this beta beyond the slacker backer option. So, they could easily be waiting until closer to actually releasing it to start building all the hype.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BambooEarpick posted:

This is the first thing I've ever Kickstarter'd. I wasn't aware that once a week was considered a lot; I feel like not garnering enough attention is a sure fire way to kill off your game. I have a friend that backed SolForge and when I asked him about it he wasn't even sure if it came out yet. (I think it's in beta on ipads?) Hell, I was pumped as heck for Hearthstone when it was first announced and I signed up for the beta but they've been pretty quiet about it since and it seems entirely forgettable now.

I guess I'll just sit tight!

Yeah, this is the big thing. You want to keep momentum rolling as much as possible. Once they get to alpha and beta, players will do it for you via twitch, etc. But, until the players have something to do, you need to keep people excited. I'd really like to see 3 posts a week, but clearly that isn't what we're going to get. Still, it's markedly better than SolForge up to about a week or two ago when they started streaming once a week and posting on FB.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I'm pretty sure that the only thing they need to do if they want to increase the hype is open up the alpha. Once those emails and kickstarter notices are out, the hype machine is on. I'm fine with weekly updates, and I'd be fine with bi-weekly as well. The amount of noise that the KS campaign generated has me less than worried. The momentum will increase dramatically when they start the alpha and beta tests.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BambooEarpick posted:

Didn't the guy in charge of the KS go to E3 or something? I haven't seen him online in a couple days, so it's possible he's just / they're just busy.

He reads the stuff people post but he's probably swamped at the moment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

They've also still got about three months before the beta goes live, and I don't think we've gotten any indication on how long that will last.

If it's a soft launch beta as people have suggested, it will last until the day the game goes live.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Jedit posted:

If it's a soft launch beta as people have suggested, it will last until the day the game goes live.

Which means more time to draft Set One! :black101:draftdraftdraft...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Now that updating isn't going to get them anymore kickstarter money I don't blame them for dialing it back. They said the updates took a lot of time, I'd rather they spend the time getting the game working. The odds of people just forgetting and losing interest seem like they must be lower then for a typical kickstarter, considering the average pledge was $130.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

The Moon Monster posted:

Now that updating isn't going to get them anymore kickstarter money I don't blame them for dialing it back. They said the updates took a lot of time, I'd rather they spend the time getting the game working. The odds of people just forgetting and losing interest seem like they must be lower then for a typical kickstarter, considering the average pledge was $130.

Of course, that numbers inflated because of all of the multipledging.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BenRGamer posted:

Of course, that numbers inflated because of all of the multipledging.

Wouldn't multipledging deflate that number?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Moon Monster posted:

Wouldn't multipledging deflate that number?

It would indeed. People who made 3 accounts to buy 3 king tiers, for example, move the average towards 120 rather than 360.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Zurai posted:

It would indeed. People who made 3 accounts to buy 3 king tiers, for example, move the average towards 120 rather than 360.

I was more talking about all of the multiple Pro Player buyers, people with two or three Grand Kings, all that kind of stuff.

I wonder how many people actually pledged for the game, and how many of the accounts are just the same guy.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Of the almost 20,000 people who pledged (estimating using PayPal total) I'm guessing about 15,000 unique accounts on the low end - still shitloads of work for Cryptozoic customer support to roll them all together but not enough that the beta will need a huge influx of players to get 24/7 drafts happening.

But yea I would be surprised if most Pro/GK players weren't rocking at least a double pledge, but the high cost and the risk inherent to Kickstarter means a lot of the quad pledge people will only be adding Kings for the extra boosters / lotus garden - then you have a few giant manchildren rolling double GK + double Pro who proceed to sperg out over every small piece of information for the next 3 months and fill the thread up with baseless speculation in order to validate their lack of economic responsibility (:q: whatup)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Grim posted:

Of the almost 20,000 people who pledged (estimating using PayPal total) I'm guessing about 15,000 unique accounts on the low end - still shitloads of work for Cryptozoic customer support to roll them all together but not enough that the beta will need a huge influx of players to get 24/7 drafts happening.

But yea I would be surprised if most Pro/GK players weren't rocking at least a double pledge, but the high cost and the risk inherent to Kickstarter means a lot of the quad pledge people will only be adding Kings for the extra boosters / lotus garden - then you have a few giant manchildren rolling double GK + double Pro who proceed to sperg out over every small piece of information for the next 3 months and fill the thread up with baseless speculation in order to validate their lack of economic responsibility (:q: whatup)

It's really easy to go in high on this when you've played Magic long enough. I've become so used to ridiculously expensive cards that $500 for GK wasn't a big deal - I mean, I own/have sold single Magic cards worth more than that. Tacking on another $250 didn't seem that bad given the potential for TCGs to get crazy if they succeed. As HEX really feels like Magic 2.0, it seemed like a reasonable gamble for high investment.

VVVV: I financed mine by selling Magic cards.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 17, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
God, I wish I had 1,500 to blow on a Kickstarter. Then I could pay off part of my student loans.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BenRGamer posted:

I was more talking about all of the multiple Pro Player buyers, people with two or three Grand Kings, all that kind of stuff.

The principle is the same regardless of which tier(s) they multi-pledged. One person pledging on multiple accounts drives down the average, it doesn't inflate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Zurai posted:

The principle is the same regardless of which tier(s) they multi-pledged. One person pledging on multiple accounts drives down the average, it doesn't inflate it.

I'd love to see the unique number of people pledged vrs. the total. I'm also still shocked at the number of producer tier pledges. I get that WoWTCG did that good, but 10 grand worth of faith? I don't know, that's a major life decision for a lot of people. Oh well, more power to them and CZE.

• Locked thread