Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Wootcannon posted:

How does one go about finding a puncture in a tire, is it rubbing soapy water all over the tire then pumping it up and looking for the bubbles? Also, what's a good repair kit to buy? Have only now realised after a couple of hundred miles* it's been going to 10psi within a day of refilling. Oops. I've got a feeling I've scunnered the pump valve using petrol station air pumps, there's a bunch of cracks in one side of the rubber on the valve. Am hoping that's merely a cover, not the valve itself burst, but if it is is the tire completely hosed or can that be repaired?

*Yes, both I and the 125 are that light.

The rubber is the valve stem, so get that thing replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Question about my SV650:

Yesterday, while out riding, my shift lever was hanging in the up position after shifts. If I needed to upshift again after that, I'd have to fiddle with the lever until it popped back down, and then shift. The weird thing is that it only happened on one ten minute trip, but it was fine for the rest of the day and feeling like normal. It happened again today, and again, it was fine when I went to work, but then on the way back, it was hanging.

If it could possibly be related, both times have been after the bike has been sitting in the sun for awhile.

I'm not familiar enough with the shift internals to make an educated guess.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I had the exact same problem on my 2004, and asked about it in this very thread last year. The shifter felt like it was in sixth gear ("solid") when it wasn't. It happened for me with varying frequency over a couple of weeks, and then went away never to come back? :shrug:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

AncientTV posted:

Question about my SV650:

Yesterday, while out riding, my shift lever was hanging in the up position after shifts. If I needed to upshift again after that, I'd have to fiddle with the lever until it popped back down, and then shift. The weird thing is that it only happened on one ten minute trip, but it was fine for the rest of the day and feeling like normal. It happened again today, and again, it was fine when I went to work, but then on the way back, it was hanging.

If it could possibly be related, both times have been after the bike has been sitting in the sun for awhile.

I'm not familiar enough with the shift internals to make an educated guess.

It's probably shift externals. Give everything a shot of WD-40 to get any moisture/rust out, then some real lube. You may just have a sticky pivot, especially if it's been rained on recently and lubed less recently.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Z3n posted:

The rubber is the valve stem, so get that thing replaced.

As in the entire tire, or just the stem?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wootcannon posted:

As in the entire tire, or just the stem?

Just the stem. You can pull the stem out with a big pair of pliers, then put a new one in from the inside after breaking the bead.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Just the stem. You can pull the stem out with a big pair of pliers, then put a new one in from the inside after breaking the bead.

Apologies, never done anything like that before - take the tire off e: the rim, yes? I suppose that'd give me time to replace the front brake disc and pads which I've been meaning to do for loving ages.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 18, 2013

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I had the exact same problem on my 2004, and asked about it in this very thread last year. The shifter felt like it was in sixth gear ("solid") when it wasn't. It happened for me with varying frequency over a couple of weeks, and then went away never to come back? :shrug:

Hopefully mine is as fleeting.

It's probably shift externals. Give everything a shot of WD-40 to get any moisture/rust out, then some real lube. You may just have a sticky pivot, especially if it's been rained on recently and lubed less recently.

I'll give it a shot, grazie.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wootcannon posted:

Apologies, never done anything like that before - take the tire off e: the rim, yes? I suppose that'd give me time to replace the front brake disc and pads which I've been meaning to do for loving ages.

Fortunately, no. You don't have to get the tire wholly off the rim. The valve stem inserts into the rim from the inside, so you just have to push a flap of tire out of the way enough for you to be able to access the valve stem hole from the inside. A hard, flat surface that won't scratch your rims, a decent-sized body that won't move that you can use to lever, and a 2x4 are all you need to break a bead. If you have an air compressor, you can also set the bead when you're done.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grunCumm8go just like this.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

yergacheffe posted:

Also, make sure you have the correct tools ready before you begin. Nothing is more frustrating than running into a showstopper because you don't have the right tool. But then you have this other tool... that might just work... then you hose a bolt or screw and waste 10 hours trying to get it out FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Speaking of - what would you consider the tools to get when starting out?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Seafoam, when is the best time to put it in the gas tank? Empty or full?

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
I think I'm running into battery issues, now that the weather has turned hot. The other day after work, the Vstar was slow to turn over but it did start. I checked the voltage when I got home, 12.8v. I skipped taking the bike today and checked it again when I got home: 12.8v. When I tried to start it, it was very slow to crank and did not fire. I checked the voltage again and it read 9.7v. I plugged the battery tender in and tried it again, the bike immediately fired up. Voltage across the battery while at a running RPM (no tach, I'd guess 3k) it read 13.7v.

Time for a new battery? Any one in particular to get?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yep, not sure on brands in the US though. I just get whatever they have at the bike shop.

Never had an issue with the Katana brand.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

This worked like a charm, it's smooth as butter now. I hadn't thought about it before, but I rode through a storm recently and I'm guessing that was it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

vwman18 posted:

I think I'm running into battery issues, now that the weather has turned hot. The other day after work, the Vstar was slow to turn over but it did start. I checked the voltage when I got home, 12.8v. I skipped taking the bike today and checked it again when I got home: 12.8v. When I tried to start it, it was very slow to crank and did not fire. I checked the voltage again and it read 9.7v. I plugged the battery tender in and tried it again, the bike immediately fired up. Voltage across the battery while at a running RPM (no tach, I'd guess 3k) it read 13.7v.

Time for a new battery? Any one in particular to get?

OEM is good, or you can go with batteries plus AGMs. Anything AGM is likely a solid choice. And yes, sounds like your battery is trashed.

prukinski posted:

Speaking of - what would you consider the tools to get when starting out?

In a list:

Metric Wrenches
Metric Rachets, with 6 point standard and deep set sockets - you want a low profile ratchet head if possible.
Hammer
hand impact driver
Vice Grip Adjustable Wrench
a set of allen keys
Beam type torque wrench for big nuts/bolts
Assortment of screwdrivers
0-300 inch pound torque wrench for small things like cam caps
Punch
drift
dremel
deadfall hammer
needle nose pliers
normal pliers
vice grips
magnet on a stick
mirror on a stick
18 inch, 1/2 inch drive breaker bar
1/2 inch to 3/8ths inch driver adapter
1/2 inch drive 6 point sockets for the big nuts like axle nuts, triple tree nuts, swingarm nuts
RTV (use sparingly)
locktite (use regularly)
antisieze

For chains and sprockets:
Find a stockton tool chain breaker for cheap/on sale
electric impact wrench if you want to do front sprockets for countershaft nuts

That'd get you started, the other tools you should buy as you need them, stuff like snap ring pliers and the like.

notZaar posted:

Speaking of Seafoam, when is the best time to put it in the gas tank? Empty or full?

Doesn't matter, it's about the ratio of gas to seafoam that's important. I tend to go heavy on the seafoam with premium gas.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

notZaar posted:

Alternatively pick up a can and suck it into the carbs through a vacuum line while the bike is idling. Suck the whole bottle in slowly so the engine doesn't kill and spread it between all the carbs if applicable. When it gets towards the bottom of the can I like to submerge the vacuum line completely and suck in enough to kill the engine, let it sit for 10-20 minutes then go ride the hell out of it.

This has worked better for me on various cars/bikes/mowers than just running it in the gas. Plus it makes a poo poo load of smoke...seriously do this outside with a breeze.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Z3n posted:

OEM is good, or you can go with batteries plus AGMs. Anything AGM is likely a solid choice. And yes, sounds like your battery is trashed.

In a list:

Metric Wrenches
Metric Rachets, with 6 point standard and deep set sockets - you want a low profile ratchet head if possible.
Hammer
hand impact driver
Vice Grip Adjustable Wrench
a set of allen keys
Beam type torque wrench for big nuts/bolts
Assortment of screwdrivers
0-300 inch pound torque wrench for small things like cam caps
Punch
drift
dremel
deadfall hammer
needle nose pliers
normal pliers
vice grips
magnet on a stick
mirror on a stick
18 inch, 1/2 inch drive breaker bar
1/2 inch to 3/8ths inch driver adapter
1/2 inch drive 6 point sockets for the big nuts like axle nuts, triple tree nuts, swingarm nuts
RTV (use sparingly)
locktite (use regularly)
antisieze

For chains and sprockets:
Find a stockton tool chain breaker for cheap/on sale
electric impact wrench if you want to do front sprockets for countershaft nuts

That'd get you started, the other tools you should buy as you need them, stuff like snap ring pliers and the like.

Doesn't matter, it's about the ratio of gas to seafoam that's important. I tend to go heavy on the seafoam with premium gas.

Pretty solid list. Add a tub of general purpose grease to it.

If you get into electrical stuff, you can fold in some good stripping/cutting/crimping tools (not the universal one that comes with that electrical tool kit at AutoZone), a multi-meter, a test lamp, a decent soldering gun, rosin solder, flux, etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh, yeah, a multimeter should definitely be on that list. Good catch, totally forgot about electrical problems.

Also if you buy a Harley you get to buy all those tools plus the imperial ones because Harleys have a hodgepodge of connectors depending on how deep you get into them! :buddy:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Alternatively pick up a can and suck it into the carbs through a vacuum line while the bike is idling. Suck the whole bottle in slowly so the engine doesn't kill and spread it between all the carbs if applicable. When it gets towards the bottom of the can I like to submerge the vacuum line completely and suck in enough to kill the engine, let it sit for 10-20 minutes then go ride the hell out of it.

This has worked better for me on various cars/bikes/mowers than just running it in the gas. Plus it makes a poo poo load of smoke...seriously do this outside with a breeze.

That sounds nuts. I put in the recommended 1oz/gallon amount today after draining the tank and then I refilled it and topped it off. I went for a ride but I still get the same problem: If I have the throttle fairly wide open for an extended period (say a few minutes at 5-6k RPM), it runs fine. The problem is when I need to stop, as soon as I let off the throttle the engine will stall. Then it won't start without choke AND generous throttling after the motor starts turning over. Is it the carbs? The guy who sold it to me promised me they had just been cleaned out (yeah yeah I know, I'm a sucker), I really don't want to break them apart to clean.
Maybe I'll try it your way, putting the rest of the can right into the carbs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

The problem with this is it doesn't actually pass the seafoam through the passages that you're trying to clean - the jets. If you feed it pre-airbox, you're just mixing seafoam with air. If you're pulling it in from a sync tube or petcock vent, it's never passing through the jets that are clogged either.

Now, it can have other advantages, but it's not going to do anything more than fresh gas would do for a bike in this situation with regards to the carbs.

I'd add way more than 1oz a gallon, probably half the bottle in the tank and go run the poo poo out of it.

But it sounds like you have a fuel delivery issue more than a carb problem. What bike, and can you run it on prime?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

The problem with this is it doesn't actually pass the seafoam through the passages that you're trying to clean - the jets. If you feed it pre-airbox, you're just mixing seafoam with air. If you're pulling it in from a sync tube or petcock vent, it's never passing through the jets that are clogged either.

True this isn't much for cleaning carbs which I didn't read is what was trying to be done. This cleans out the rest of the engine pretty good.

I usually just tear into the carbs if they need to be cleaned or soak them overnight.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's an 83 Suzuki GS550L. I just checked the petcock, the prime and vacuum feed both work and the bike idles about the same on either.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

notZaar posted:

It's an 83 Suzuki GS550L. I just checked the petcock, the prime and vacuum feed both work and the bike idles about the same on either.

Where is the idle screw set? Could be too low.

Otherwise, your pilot circuit needs love. On an 83, you have CV carbs, so one pilot mixture screw per carb. That you need a lot of choke to idle suggests lean, so turn the screw out (IIRC) to increase the fuel ratio in the pilot.

You may still have to tear down the carbs though.

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/mc_maint/GS_CV_Carb_Cleaning_Series.pdf

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_BS-CV_Carburetor_Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

These tell you everything you need to know for that job.

HTH

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

notZaar posted:

Did it work fine before? If it did, then you probably need to clean the hell out of the carbs, including the air fuel screw and passage. If it didn't work right before, pull everything apart, clean it, set it all to stock (a/f screw, float heights, remove shims from needles unless you have a jet kit and instructions).

I'd also try swapping it to prime and running it in case your petcock is failing. Idle isn't enough because you're not drawing enough gas to expose a fuel flow issue. Hell, the bike will idle on the fuel in the bowls for a minute or 2 with no fresh fuel in it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

AncientTV posted:

This worked like a charm, it's smooth as butter now. I hadn't thought about it before, but I rode through a storm recently and I'm guessing that was it.

Good to hear. I recently moved from the desert to the swamp, and the list of things I've never had to lube before is rapidly growing. Sidestand, shifter linkage, brake linkage, locks, pivots, and anything that is even mildly bare metal gets rust in hours here.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

E: Any other methods of breaking the bead because this lever and 2x4 thing is doing gently caress all. IRC NR-73s, if that helps.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 20, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Large c-clamp?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Someone on this forum once used a large quick grip, IIRC.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Cheers for the C-clamp tip. One last thing - I do have a tire iron with the car jack I'm using, the only thing is I'm mildly concerned about popping the tire or bending the rim, as the rim bent slightly when I was prying. Am I being too cautious? And if so, is it just pry until I hear a pop/feel the resistance drop?

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Hey Goons I am looking to buy a bike, but I have never ridden before.
What is a good starter bike that's cheap just to learn the basics on?
I've ridden bicycles since I was a kid so I am okay on counter steering but I know I am going to gently caress up a few times, so I am going to wait and buy a BMW 1200r after my learner bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wokrider posted:

I've ridden bicycles since I was a kid so I am okay on counter steering but I know I am going to gently caress up a few times, so I am going to wait and buy a BMW 1200r after my learner bike.

Altogether now:

Kawasaki Ninja Two Fiddy

e: Anything special about you? Are you a 3'2" little person? A 7'1" mountain of a man, second cousin of Yao Ming and besties with Andre the Giant's relatives? Generally speaking, for average people who haven't motorcycle'd before, a used, dirt cheap Ninja 250 is the best bike to learn on. You can sell it after a year once you have an idea which motorcycling skill tree direction you want to dump points into take.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 20, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Wokrider posted:

You want the Tell me what bike to buy thread.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

notZaar posted:

OH look, a bike I know inside out.

Stop screwing around. Clean the carbs, properly. That means drilling out, and cleaning both pilot screws on both carbs.

If you do nothing else, pull, clean, and reseat these. Right where the screwdriver is pointing, NOT the slides. Those.. really don't ever need cleaning.

Set them 2.5 turns out. As I found, they will not self clean. I've tried. Large doses of fuel system cleaner for 2-3k miles.

Also, replace the carb boot o-rings. It's only six screws to pull the carb boots off, do it. The stock o-rings will quite literally crack and fall out. I've had them shatter when dropped.

If you're having trouble pulling the carbs, you should be able to pull hte battery, and slide the airbox back. I think that's how it works on the L. I have owned two ES's.

Check the charging system. If you can get it to start, get the rpm up to 5k, and check the voltage across the battery. it should be something over 13v, ideally over 14, less than 14.5. If it isn't, say something, we'll talk about the r/r. (it sounds like you have a weak battery, which could be a sign of a weak charging system.)

The stock R/R is weak, and burns out. It often takes out the stator with it. I had to rewind my stator. Skreemer and I both are (or were) running GSXR r/r's in our GS550's.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 20, 2013

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Nerobro posted:

Stop screwing around. Clean the carbs, properly. That means drilling out, and cleaning both pilot screws on both carbs.

If you do nothing else, pull, clean, and reseat these. Right where the screwdriver is pointing, NOT the slides. Those.. really don't ever need cleaning.

Set them 2.5 turns out. As I found, they will not self clean. I've tried. Large doses of fuel system cleaner for 2-3k miles.

Also, replace the carb boot o-rings. It's only six screws to pull the carb boots off, do it. The stock o-rings will quite literally crack and fall out. I've had them shatter when dropped.

If you're having trouble pulling the carbs, you should be able to pull hte battery, and slide the airbox back. I think that's how it works on the L. I have owned two ES's.

Check the charging system. If you can get it to start, get the rpm up to 5k, and check the voltage across the battery. it should be something over 13v, ideally over 14, less than 14.5. If it isn't, say something, we'll talk about the r/r. (it sounds like you have a weak battery, which could be a sign of a weak charging system.)

The stock R/R is weak, and burns out. It often takes out the stator with it. I had to rewind my stator. Skreemer and I both are (or were) running GSXR r/r's in our GS550's.

I have a 2009 CBR R/R in my GS.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Tamir Lenk posted:

I have a 2009 CBR R/R in my GS.

I've got a CX500 r/r in my 6/550. The problem with recommending Honda, is that Honda is completely unpredictable as to what sort of regulator system they'll use. Going with an "EFI or later" GSXR r/r means you get a r/r that's good for something like 60 amps. Underloading the r/r keeps it cool.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Wokrider posted:

Read Safety Dance's post until you buy a Ninja 250. Unless you're far outside of normal dimensions it's perfect. Don't be fooled by the old school sport bike fairings, it's very neutral. I'm thankful every day that I started on my Ninjette and I'll be sad to sell it.

Edit also if you're like me it will feel huge until you get used to it and then full sized bikes will seem huge but I guess this is normal.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nerobro posted:

Ah god, you're killing me. I remember what a chore it was to clean out the carbs on my tiny little 125cc scooter, this is twice the work and then some :sigh:
I guess there's no easy fix here eh? I've tried riding with the petcock on prime, same thing happened. If I let go of the throttle after holding it medium open for a while, the engine stalls out. I can keep it alive by slowly throttling back, so I guess I'll adjust my riding habits until I have the time to pull this poo poo apart and clean it.

edit: The bike starts up just fine now. I slapped a new battery in it earlier this week. I'll check the voltage as soon as I find a not-poo poo multimeter.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 20, 2013

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

Read Safety Dance's post until you buy a Ninja 250. Unless you're far outside of normal dimensions it's perfect. Don't be fooled by the old school sport bike fairings, it's very neutral. I'm thankful every day that I started on my Ninjette and I'll be sad to sell it.

Edit also if you're like me it will feel huge until you get used to it and then full sized bikes will seem huge but I guess this is normal.

Thanks Goons for the fast replies, I read the entire bike wiki so I was thinking the 250 but I wasn't sure how old the article was.
Any opinions on the BMW 1200r?

I've been watching alot of RoadcraftNottingham videos to get some mental preparation for riding.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Do not buy a 1200cc sportybike as a first bike.

The K1200R is an enormous motorcycle that is heavy and weird-handling and ultrafast and covered with expensive parts.

If you don't want a Ninja 250 there are other options but a K1200R is about as far from those as you can get.

E: also I'm not sure of your age / location but insurance cost on a 1200cc sportybike as a new rider is ruinous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Sorry I should have wrote that better.
My plan is to buy the ninja 250 and learn on that for a year or two and sell it and buy the 1200r.

I'm 5'11 190lbs, and I am trying to join the navy at the end of this month so I am not sure how their insurance rates are.

Wokrider fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 20, 2013