Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

Where did this come from? What's the story here? Can't just drop a pic like that and walk away! :confused:

They were all free! Our office got ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Siljmonster posted:

I hope you've got some coffee drinkers because that's a lot of cup warmers.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Siljmonster posted:

What kind of office do you work in? I think most HR departments would frown on management trying to hurt employees by distributing Ouyas

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TopherCStone posted:

What kind of office do you work in? I think most HR departments would frown on management trying to hurt employees by distributing Ouyas

You act like we are going to do anything with them.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Someone had to order those. Unless Ouya is just sending a bunch of the things to every gaming company they can find to try to convince someone to make games for them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Siljmonster posted:

We're going to need a lot more details here.

edit: Also, your odd conjugation makes me wonder if ONE of them is broken or if you left out key words in your sentence.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Vhadka posted:

Someone had to order those. Unless Ouya is just sending a bunch of the things to every gaming company they can find to try to convince someone to make games for them.

Would you really put it past them?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Video with Bawb in it. I haven't finished it yet, but he seems as insufferable as always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm3Gd8cIdiw

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

prahanormal posted:

Would you really put it past them?

Not in the slightest. It makes the fact that there are backers who still don't have theirs even more funny though.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

theflyingorc posted:

Video with Bawb in it. I haven't finished it yet, but he seems as insufferable as always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm3Gd8cIdiw

Really going all out promoting their game with the 360p max resolution.

Constant attention from the camera: required.
(max resolution top quality image)

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 18, 2013

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times before it sunk in. What the hell?

To be fair he clearly meant to say "I'd rather not contribute", since the entire point he was making previously was that reddit promoted popularity over truth and that's why he backed out.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/1ge7rz/hey_reddit_weve_done_our_first_game_for_ouya/

Ouya Extreme Dev posted:

Hey Reddit, we're two students trying to get a feet into the mobile games business and did back the OUYA! We have just published our first game for OUYA and some mobile Platforms.
If you wanna check it out go to http://curves.levire.com and please tell us what you think.
Tonight I gona throw an OUYA game release party and this will be awesome!
Have a great day!

Bad English aside, this post just cracks me up. If you go to the website you see it's a lovely snakes game and if you read the comments you see they ripped off someone else. Viva la revolucion! I hope they had a sick rear end launch party, someone spinning tunes and the champagne flowing

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 19, 2013

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Siljmonster posted:

One of these are broken.

The most valuable thing in this picture are the Magic cards.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

Even if they're all basic lands? I think the Ouya might be worth as much as a pile of those. If the lands are in poor condition.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Meat Recital posted:

Vhadka posted:

Even if they're all basic lands? I think the Ouya might be worth as much as a pile of those. If the lands are in poor condition.

I think you guys are forgetting the four-slice toaster in the background. Definitely worth at least one OUYA.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

DangerZoneDelux posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/1ge7rz/hey_reddit_weve_done_our_first_game_for_ouya/

Bad English aside, this post just cracks me up. If you go to the website you see it's a lovely snakes game and if you read the comments you see they ripped of someone else. Viva la revolucion! I hope they had a sick rear end launch party, someone spinning tunes and the champagne flowing

"Curves is a great game for all ages. Play Curves with up to three friends on parties, in lectures or at school - Everywhere!"

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Even the great Curves is a port :smith:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Morby posted:

What's the status on the retail units? Have they even made them yet?

Lots.

Lots.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I'm not certain how the game/app counter on ouya.tv works. It claims there are 151 total pieces of content, but totalouya.com lists 159.

3 new things were added in the last 24 hours - another emulator, "Frenbee group talk" (which I assume is just a cheap skype), and Tower Invaders 2.

There have been 23 new pieces of software added to the OUYA store so far this month. Of that, 11 of them are emulators.

The OUYA guys are so screwed when it comes to making money.

edit: My dev account is officially caught. My reservations of Executive Star and XBMC had their names changed.

Interestingly enough, XBMC had it's name changed to "Wrong name wrong day". I'd say there's a very good chance that XBMC is going to come out on OUYA now.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 18, 2013

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Am I a bad person for thinking it would be a pretty great cheap emulation device? It seems like anything from about ps1 and back would be doable. What I'm saying is I'll pick one up on ebay for 40$ a month after they come out.
This and possibly an ashtray are the only things I can think of using it for.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Am I a bad person for thinking it would be a pretty great cheap emulation device? It seems like anything from about ps1 and back would be doable. What I'm saying is I'll pick one up on ebay for 40$ a month after they come out.

You can get better emulator boxes for cheaper than an OUYA, and they won't force you to use the garbage rear end controller.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not certain how the game/app counter on ouya.tv works. It claims there are 151 total pieces of content, but totalouya.com lists 159.

3 new things were added in the last 24 hours - another emulator, "Frenbee group talk" (which I assume is just a cheap skype), and Tower Invaders 2.

There have been 23 new pieces of software added to the OUYA store so far this month. Of that, 11 of them are emulators.

The OUYA guys are so screwed when it comes to making money.

edit: My dev account is officially caught. My reservations of Executive Star and XBMC had their names changed.

Interestingly enough, XBMC had it's name changed to "Wrong name wrong day". I'd say there's a very good chance that XBMC is going to come out on OUYA now.
TotalOUYA include removed games as well, there are 151 on ouyawebstore as well. I'm curious as to how they're handling region-locking of games.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's probably an acceptable enough emulator, but so is any computer.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

You're not a bad person. Welcome to the "One of The Few Only Practical Reasons to want an OUYA" club for people who want to play emulators on their tv but can't reasonably or conveniently hook their pc up to their tv.
But it seems there are troubling reports of issues with overheating, crashing, controller lag/lost connections that made me lose interest.

With all the different android/linux sticks that are floating around out there, the OUYA seemed like a reasonable pick since it is designed to be a game system. Its a bit intimidating trying to compare Android sticks but its a better solution than the OUYA it seems.

Slybo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 18, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I recently bought myself this thing. I tried emulation for both the snes, and DS, and had no problems with it, after a little bit of work hooking up a Xbox controller. And on this thing, I can actually access the Google Play store.

I don't see what advantages an OUYA could offer over an off market android stick.

Slybo posted:

With all the different android/linux sticks that are floating around out there, the OUYA seemed like a reasonable pick since it is designed to be a game system. Its a bit intimidating trying to compare Android sticks but its a better solution than the OUYA.

Fair point. I don't know how easy OUYA's interface is to use. My experience with these android sticks is with three off model sticks. It's a bit clunky, and not something I'd recommend to non-technically inclined relatives. But if you enjoy messing around with this stuff, it's certainly an alternative to the OUYA.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 18, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Slybo posted:

You're not a bad person. Welcome to the "One of The Few Only Practical Reasons to want an OUYA" club.
But it seems there are troubling reports of issues with overheating, crashing, controller lag/lost connections that made me lose interest.

It's also worth noting that the "one not awful reason to want an OUYA" will easily bankrupt OUYA if people do it. They need you to buy software.

I might have a new favorite game, if only it came with screenshots it could easily beat Visorman.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3159-Legacy-of-gaming-%28an-ouya-exclusive%29

quote:

Hello I am LizardBoy1999 and I am making a game called "Legacy of Gaming". In the game all the video game consoles of history are people. And since Atari had competition (which happened almost immediately) they have had a video game console meeting annually, but at the 56th annual meeting all the Ataris have gone missing, even the founder of video games as we know it, yes even atari 2600 is missing or worse. Ouya (the hero) wants to find out what happened to the Atari's, but he does not like the grim truth.

Main points of the game:
1st person shooter
Somebody has kidnapped the Ataris and only Atari 2600 escaped
1 huge map
Ouya is the hero

Now here is a little bit of the story line:

The 56th Annual Video Games Console

“Role call!, Playstation?”

“Here.”

“Xbox?”

“Here”

“Wii?”

“I’m awesome”

“Just say here.”

“Fine, Odyssey, here....”

“SNES?”

“Here.”

“Just get on with it, Odyssey!!!!”

“Please close your mouth and keep it closed, Neo Geo.”

“Okay.”

“Wait, where are the Ataris?!?!?!”

“What do you mean, OUYA!?!?!?!?”

“I mean, odyssey, They are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

END OF EXCERPT

Please tell me if you would like me to continue making Legacy of Gaming. If so expect more news about this game in the future.

Cheers,
LizardBoy1999

(This was edited due to there was hardly any details about the game.)

edit: and this might be my new favorite OUYAForum post:

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3255-Hiring-freelance-writers

quote:

Hello, I'm the owner of a blog that is related to game consoles running android system and i'm looking to hire freelance writers. Preference for native american, always available through email and skype, willing to write about : general news, games, guides, hacks, reviews, etc and also used to write in blog using wordpress and keeping in mind SEO best guidelines. Payment can be made through paypal according to the size and importance of the material provided and any other incentive can be discussed. If you are interested please send me a PM. Thank you, AndroidGameConsole.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 18, 2013

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Well the way I see it. I don't have a responsibility to the makers of OUYA to use their semi-open source console on their terms.
However. Would I be more likely to buy OUYA games if I owned an OUYA I intended to use for emulators? Or Would I be more likley to buy OUYA games if I bought an Android stick?
Don't think about it too hard. Its a really easy answer.

They need to worry about selling systems first. The games will sell themselves (just ask Steam)

Slybo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 18, 2013

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

It's also worth noting that the "one not awful reason to want an OUYA" will easily bankrupt OUYA if people do it. They need you to buy software.

I might have a new favorite game, if only it came with screenshots it could easily beat Visorman.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3159-Legacy-of-gaming-%28an-ouya-exclusive%29

edit: and this might be my new favorite OUYAForum post:

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3255-Hiring-freelance-writers

That first game sounds like a Hyperdimension Neptunia FPS. Only shittier.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Siljmonster posted:

Make a video of each box being destroyed in a different way, with the video posted to /r/OUYA. :colbert:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Do you think that blog dude means game guides or spirit guides?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Do you think that blog dude means game guides or spirit guides?

I'm going to guess not-American, difficulty with English, and wants folks fluent for writing the English articles and attracting an American audience.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

theflyingorc posted:

You missed this part:

quote:

I kind of am new to game development since I am only 14 (Please don't judge me.), but I have done a lot of research on the topic and am getting pretty good at it.

Shocker right there. I'm sure most of his "research" has consisted of looking up the names of consoles that were made before he was born.

Slybo posted:

Well the way I see it. I don't have a responsibility to the makers of OUYA to use their semi-open source console on their terms.
However. Would I be more likely to buy OUYA games if I owned an OUYA I intended to use for emulators? Or Would I be more likley to buy OUYA games if I bought an Android stick?
Don't think about it too hard. Its a really easy answer.

They need to worry about selling systems first. The games will sell themselves (just ask Steam)

Just waste your money on one already and stop trying to justify it to us.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 19, 2013

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
If OHYEAHDIGIT's press releases were a wrestling promotion, people would still say 'now this is just silly'. I don't know what backwards Tuesday alternative universe where anything they've said would be believable.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

raditts posted:

Just waste your money on one already and stop trying to justify it to us.
Because they can't worry about selling systems until they make one that works.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Slybo posted:

With all the different android/linux sticks that are floating around out there, the OUYA seemed like a reasonable pick since it is designed to be a game system. Its a bit intimidating trying to compare Android sticks but its a better solution than the OUYA it seems.

At no point was any of that ever true.

If I were shopping for an emulation stick and wanted to beat an OUYA, there are a bunch of options. I think the easiest is going to be A Rikomagic IV. Notice how its at pace with a Tranformer (which is basically a better OUYA) in everything except triagle throughput. Now it's still running 80 bucks, so instead of the stradavarius of controllers you'd just have to settle for a PS3 controller. The horror :rolleyes:

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

WTF is a Rikomagic? If there is a master guide to Android sticks then hook me up bro?
If "At no point was any of that ever true." then give me a complete rundown of every Android stick illustrating all their Pros and Cons? Because I find shopping for droid sticks to be confusing.
The idea of one that has its own game pad sounded like a good idea to me at face value and I stand by that. Just because it ended up being horrible is another matter all together.
Am I not allowed to be disappointed? I mean Jesus Christ folks, just because I don't have schadenfreude over the OUYA's shortcomings dosnt make me your enemy.

Slybo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 19, 2013

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I got my DUDEBRO and haven't even made an account and glitched into the menu asking me for my credit card info.

Fukkin lol

Edit- my controllers just swapped places from controller 1 to controller 2 for no reason :laffo:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Slybo posted:

"At no point was any of that ever true." then give me a complete rundown of every Android stick illustrating all their Pros and Cons?

I actually asked if someone would make a thread about stick computers a few months ago. Seems like it would be helpful. But I get the impression because it is such a developing market that people aren't 100% positive on all the pros and cons each model yet.

That Rikomagic looks very similar to the stick I linked earlier.

Edit: Oh, of course it's the same GPU.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 19, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Slybo posted:

WTF is a Rikomagic? If there is a master guide to Android sticks then hook me up bro?

There are like a jillion brands of Android Stick, most of them are running on the same handful of chipsets though. What you pretty much want is a RK3188 device of some sort, the newer the better. Here's a forum dedicated to just those. Depending on what specifically you want out of it, what stick is best is going to vary. As a general rule the Rikomagic MK802IIIS and IV are both all around good. The MK808-B is on a different chipset, but is apparently beloved by XBMC enthusiasts, and the CX-919 is apparently able to do 1080 video flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Oh, thank you, this will be very helpful. As for the CX-919, I haven't had any issues with video quality. I haven't tested it extensively yet though.

• Locked thread