Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
That rock golem fal'Cie in Gran Pulse looked pretty chill for a slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

The fal'Cie are a really cool idea because they are presented as these mystical, all-powerful gods and yet, at the end of the day, they are really just slaves. They might rule humanity but that's all they can do. They will rule whether they want to or not and they will do that for eternity.

It's kind of a bum rap and you can almost feel for Bart when he finally dies. He never asked for this job and he couldn't ever quit it. The only escape was death. The other fal'Cie that are just the sewer system or whatever have it even worse as they are (presumably) living and thinking creatures and yet they are stuck in that role forever.

The problem is that unnecessary, never even hinted at lore that you can only find in side stuff. The main game tells you explicitly that there is a single, all powerful God who made both humans and fal'CIe. Then He took a hike and left his two creations to coexist all on their lonesome. THe final boss being called Orphan works because God esentially just made them and then abandoned them to their existence of servitude. I guess I like it because they are presented as so strong and mighty yet it turns out they are the weakest of all beings.

Only this is all contradicted by the sequel and the needlessly contrived creation myths. There is no Maker/God, fal'Cie and humans were created by entirely separate beings and everything you are told in actual cutscenes is proven to be bullshit in optional crap.

And this is why all the potential of FFXIII pisses me off. I finished the game with a more or less positive attitude but when I got online and learned everything I thought I knew about the storyline was absolutely wrong, I got a bit...annoyed.

What? XIII-2 doesn't contradict the Maker/God angle nor the fal'Cie/human connection at all. Hope talks endlessly about Lindzei and Bhunivelze in the later parts of the game. Fal'Cie were created by the Maker, but Etro, a fal'Cie Goddess, created humans. This was explained in XIII and pretty much flat-out repeated in XIII-2.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It was pretty clear that they were inside of Coccoon.

Any area of Coccoon you're in, you can look up and see that there's land directly above. It's actually kind of neat-looking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hope The Maker?

Raines The entity responsible for creating both humans and fal'Cie. Long ago, the Maker departed this world, leaving the two races behind.In a sense, human and fal'Cie are brothers; orphaned by the same parent.

So, no, outright lie. Two completely separate beings made the fal'Cie we know and humankind.

Here is the cosmology as outlined in the cutscenes.

God.

God made fal'Cie and humans.

There is no mention whatsoever of a supreme god (goddess? I believe the second god was the first's son?) who made another god who made two other gods with one making humans and one making fal'Cie.

If you want to dispute this, please direct me to the cutscene where Lindzei or Etro are named. If you can, I will gladly concede. At this pointhowever I recall absolutely no mention whatsoever of such beings.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some advice here, what with all the FF13 chat. I just recently bought a used Xbox 360, as it's roughly the start of the next console generation, and as a fan of other FFs, I was wondering if XIII was worth my time. By and large, I've really liked the more linear Final Fantasy games, and I don't have too much of a problem with stupid plots so long as it manages to be at least internally consistent. If it's any help, I really liked VIII, in spite of and partly because of all its nonsensical soap-opera bullshit. I like it when something stupid and crazy happens and I just go what. Is it worth getting a used copy? If not, can I skip to XIII-2 without missing out on too much?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Butts goes on an adventure about Crystals, and who is that dashing man on that bridge?

Butz is the guy who sees a giant loving meteor hit the ground, saves a girl from monsters at the crash site and meets a mysterious old man with amnesia and his reaction is "well I'm gonna go and keep wandering, bye guys :downs:" so that's a good indication to shut off your brain to any sort of story the game has.

Plus the final boss is a tree. An evil tree.

Also anyone that isn't taking part in the Four Job Fiesta right now is a terrible person.

Barudak posted:

So like, uh, theres a hereditary witch who overthrew a democratically elected government on live TV but a group of super soldiers trained at an academy which is also a hovership and owned by a space alien decide to stop her except their all orphans she raised together who don't remember it because they equipped magical beings to themselves and also the moon is full of space monsters who slam into the planet which has both a seaside wood-ship fishing village and a futuristic floating city that spans a continent but its kind of all irrelevant because a someone from both the future and present decided to merge all of time into a single moment because she might be the main heroes girlfriend from an alternate timeline which requires him to remember her face so he can escape the nexus of time and watch his best friend choke to death on hotdogs.

That seems pretty simple.

You forgot the part where most of that is all just a fevered dream in Squall's mind because he actually dies after the fight with the witch because she impales him with some ice magic. :eng101:

Also him actually dying would give the game a better twist/darker ending than almost any other game out there.

Barudak posted:

The hardest final fantasy is Final Fantasy Legend 1 when you feed your team the wrong food products and irreparably gently caress up their stats and ruin your game. It also should win an award for most rear end-backwards plot resolution in a narrative.

There's nothing in FF1 that you can't overcome with Super Punch. I'm not sure how you gently caress up stats in that game. You can feed humans +stat/hp stuff even early on and if you just make Mutants instead their natural growth makes them into gods if you're grinding at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

You forgot the part where most of that is all just a fevered dream in Squall's mind because he actually dies after the fight with the witch because she impales him with some ice magic. :eng101:

Also him actually dying would give the game a better twist/darker ending than almost any other game out there.

No it wouldn't because it has no impact on the story. Even if we assume the whole thing is his dying dream or something him being dead/losing/whatever has no impact on the narrative so its irrelevant. It would be about as meaningful as finding out that in the world of FFVIII pineapples being green; it has no bearing on he plot and changes nothing because no event, plot, or theme hinges on the color of pineapple or the idea of Squall dying and dreaming the rest of the game.

Jacobs Ladder, Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge, and Vanilla Sky and pretty much any other example have interplay between reality and fantasy in order to tell the story which FFVIII lacks completey.

quote:

There's nothing in FF1 that you can't overcome with Super Punch. I'm not sure how you gently caress up stats in that game. You can feed humans +stat/hp stuff even early on and if you just make Mutants instead their natural growth makes them into gods if you're grinding at all.

It was either FF1 or FF2 for the Gameboy where the meat could result in a vastly weaker party unable to equip anything meaningful. I'm thinking it might be 2 but that at least let you restart any fight from the beginning thanks to Odin (until you kill Odin). FF3 had time travel as a core plot so no matter how lovely it got* it was still fun.

*Very

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some advice here, what with all the FF13 chat. I just recently bought a used Xbox 360, as it's roughly the start of the next console generation, and as a fan of other FFs, I was wondering if XIII was worth my time. By and large, I've really liked the more linear Final Fantasy games, and I don't have too much of a problem with stupid plots so long as it manages to be at least internally consistent. If it's any help, I really liked VIII, in spite of and partly because of all its nonsensical soap-opera bullshit. I like it when something stupid and crazy happens and I just go what. Is it worth getting a used copy? If not, can I skip to XIII-2 without missing out on too much?

Did you like X? If so you'll probably not mind XIII. It's a very long tutorial but very high production values throughout the game. The plot has interesting concepts but doesn't really flesh out on a lot of it. The battle system is simple at first but has a lot more going on the deeper you get. If you're interested in the plot, play XIII, if you want just the combat skip to XIII-2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The combat and plot are both sadly worse in XIII-2 but it gets to the meat of the gameplay a lot faster so it really depends on if you have the patience to put up with a long-rear end tutorial or not. You can probably get 13 for a fiver so if you think there's any chance you'd enjoy it, it can't hurt, and if you don't then you're unlikely to enjoy FFXIII-2 unless you fall into a fairly specific subset of player.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

You know, the game's story could've been more interesting if they played it from the brother Doned's perspective. Start off with him being a prince in a fantasy kingdom- typical JRPG start. Then find out some villain is going around destroying crystals that hold the world together! Still firmly in Final Fantasy territory. Then it turns out he's your brother! Yup, still good.

But then you can use Marche's exposition and flashbacks to reveal that this whole world is an illusion, that you're really just a sad crippled boy, and that he thinks he must protect you from escapism. Now you have to be morally conflicted, because your motivation went from the selfless "save the world!" to the much more selfish "I don't want to be handicapped..."

Or yeah, at the very least have Marche wonder if what he's doing is right or fair. But no, can't have story depth in a FFTA game.

Everything about the FFTA games just screams Lesser Tactics Ogre, even the story complete with getting ordered to slaughter a city of your own people solely to act as propaganda.

Barudak posted:

No it wouldn't because it has no impact on the story. Even if we assume the whole thing is his dying dream or something him being dead/losing/whatever has no impact on the narrative so its irrelevant. It would be about as meaningful as finding out that in the world of FFVIII pineapples being green; it has no bearing on he plot and changes nothing because no event, plot, or theme hinges on the color of pineapple or the idea of Squall dying and dreaming the rest of the game.

Jacobs Ladder, Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge, and Vanilla Sky and pretty much any other example have interplay between reality and fantasy in order to tell the story which FFVIII lacks completey.

It was either FF1 or FF2 for the Gameboy where the meat could result in a vastly weaker party unable to equip anything meaningful. I'm thinking it might be 2 but that at least let you restart any fight from the beginning thanks to Odin (until you kill Odin). FF3 had time travel as a core plot so no matter how lovely it got* it was still fun.

*Very

You could stat grind forever in FFL2 as well, however getting even close to max strength or agility (let alone both) on a Human was a chore and on a Mutant even getting Mana was a chore.

Meat could give a weaker monster at times but it wasn't nearly as bad as FFL3's monster/robot forms. Maybe I missed something when I played it but those always had about 1/10th the HP of Human/Mutant/Beastman/Cyborg characters and did gently caress all for damage. Still can't think of any dead ends in those games though. In FFL2 if your stats were low and you really didn't want to grind them up you could get some martial arts and drop them to about 2-3 uses left and then unload them on a boss to completely wreck it since the damage went up as uses went down while the highest tier arts (judo and karate?) did 1-2k damage on their last hits, or if you have a high agility character and managed to get a Seven Sword you just murder the final boss in a few hits because it had utterly obscene damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Barudak posted:

Well, if FF8 is played straight, we're supposed to take the completely ridiculous, nonsensical, plothole-ridden story at face value, which makes it just plain terrible. If one were to subscribe to the "dying dream" interpretation (which I don't, but it would have been neat), then the "storyline" actually becomes an analysis of the mind and dreams of this man Squall, and what sort of world his mind constructs as it dies. The story might actually reflect subconscious hopes, dreams, fears, insecurities, and things about which he is arrogant. Plot holes are no longer so important, although they may give clues to his mind too. It'd be far more interesting, then.

Rygorous
Apr 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVIII is a tragedy because I think it had a lot of potential. That's probably why it's my least favorite FF of the ones I've completed. It could have been so much more. It did a lot of things right but then fell flat with the follow through.

Take Seifer for example. He's easily, for me, the best characterized and best developed member of the entire cast. The game does a good job of setting him and Squall up as rivals and all that. I actually noticed a few years ago that him and Squall even have polar opposite character development. Squall, the reluctant antisocial prick, steadily opens up and out of love becomes Rinoa's Sorceress Knight. Seifer, a far more outgoing brand of prick, had thrown himself into the role of the Sorceress' Knight but it was all just a fantasy that crashed around his ears as time goes on. Basically Squall grows and Seifer diminishes.

And how does the game choose to wrap up three disks worth of putting these two against each other? One boss fight and then he's gone, never to be heard from again except during the ending which doesn't make any sense. FFVIII is often said to have one of the most memorable openings in the series and that's probably because of Liberi Fatali but you still remember Squall and Seifer dueling. You expect that to go somewhere - you expect some sort of resolution or closure between these two. But this is FFVIII and it can't deliver a satisfying conclusion to anything to save its life.

At some point I got hold of a Gameshark to mess around with both FFVII and FFVIII. It allowed me to stick Seifer and Edea into the party as fully functional, junctionable characters. Them and Squall taking on the last boss is now canon to me, and the last fight on Disc 2 was a wonder to behold.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Having Seifer rejoin the party to fight Ultimecia would have been a pretty cool move, so naturally they didn't do it. It be like Leon in FFII who redeems himself by helping you stop the Hell Emperor.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Squall is dead has the benefit of making some kind of sense out of Ultemicia. She represents his denial of his own death, shown in her desire to make all time a single deathless moment and her hatred of SeeD, which is the organization that ultimately led to Squall's death and is then torn apart in his dying dream and replaced with the much warmer idea that his coworkers are actually adopted siblings he'd forgotten about. After he defeats his own denial, his mind begins to break down at last, but the image of Rinoa helps him to accept his own death and he dreams of a normal life and slips, at last, away....or something, even with that interpretation the ending makes no sense.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm on the Dark Knight portion of FF:D and it just occurred to me that I haven't been getting any of the F-abilities. I haven't been in any trouble in the fights so far, so should I even bother with this?

Also, why are some of these classes loving garbage, like the Bard and Ranger? I seem to be better off with most of the base classes (Dragoon is a notable exception, it rules).

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Renoistic posted:

FFXIII-2 is one of the darkest FF games. You have to exercise some extreme mental gymnastics to think it's the lightest :psyduck:
I mean, the threat of ultimate destruction is there right from the beginning of the game - after it's revealed the last game's happy ending didn't happen and that Fang and Vanille's sacrifice wasn't enough! Or the city controlled by a Fal'Cie, or the insane computer thing, the red orbs, the girl who dies all the time etc etc.

I'd say 5 is the lightest FF game. Sure some sacrifices are made but on the whole everything works out fine. FFX-2 is also up there, especially if you get the "best" ending. I prefer the normal, bitter-sweet one, though.

You might be right there. The plot has a lot of darkness to it, especially later on, but the attitude is always so kind of abysmally light. Oh, we're all doomed, but let's just fly around time all willy nilly! Wee! Actually, that light hearted attitude is part of the overall story. It's much lighter than XIII, at least, which spent the entire game having everyone haunted by whatever their personal problems were on top of the whole L'cie thing. I like XIII's story quite a bit, but it's grim as poo poo right until it turns into a normal Final Fantasy game, which is really just the last five minutes or so right when Fang and Vanille magic the party back from being Ci'eth.

I might also say it's one of the lightest modern FF's rather than lighest in general, as yeah, the oldies (before VI, VI was really a turning point in their storytelling as far as I'm concerned) were all pretty light, with characters not having really serious problems and every threat being defeated with enough courage. There were orphans and lost loved ones, but the reactions weren't ever severe like friggin' Hope going all kill crazy.

I kinda also forgot X-2 there, which has the same fantasy adventure lightness with a bunch of forced girliness and, as far as I remember, no world ending threat really at all?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bobtheconqueror posted:

You might be right there. The plot has a lot of darkness to it, especially later on, but the attitude is always so kind of abysmally light. Oh, we're all doomed, but let's just fly around time all willy nilly! Wee! Actually, that light hearted attitude is part of the overall story. It's much lighter than XIII, at least, which spent the entire game having everyone haunted by whatever their personal problems were on top of the whole L'cie thing. I like XIII's story quite a bit, but it's grim as poo poo right until it turns into a normal Final Fantasy game, which is really just the last five minutes or so right when Fang and Vanille magic the party back from being Ci'eth.

I might also say it's one of the lightest modern FF's rather than lighest in general, as yeah, the oldies (before VI, VI was really a turning point in their storytelling as far as I'm concerned) were all pretty light, with characters not having really serious problems and every threat being defeated with enough courage. There were orphans and lost loved ones, but the reactions weren't ever severe like friggin' Hope going all kill crazy.

I kinda also forgot X-2 there, which has the same fantasy adventure lightness with a bunch of forced girliness and, as far as I remember, no world ending threat really at all?

That wasn't Fang and Vanille, it was Etro. You can see her gate open during the final battle, and her interference is hinted at in the ending through subtle background images, which explains XIII-2's beginning.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-2's world threat was Shuyin using Vegnagun to blow up Spira or raze it or something to that effect.

X-2 certainly has its somber moments and the stuff with the Crimson Squad and Den of Woe was actually kinda dark and creepy but overall the game totally succeeded in being the complete opposite of X ie. X was moody and dark and X-2 is bubbly and light.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

That wasn't Fang and Vanille, it was Etro. You can see her gate open during the final battle, and her interference is hinted at in the ending through subtle background images, which explains XIII-2's beginning.

Crap. Forgot about that. Haven't played it in a while. Is that character mentioned at all in XIII, or is it not added til XIII-2?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

If you want to dispute this, please direct me to the cutscene where Lindzei or Etro are named. If you can, I will gladly concede. At this pointhowever I recall absolutely no mention whatsoever of such beings.

I'd love to see this too. If I need to read the in-game wiki for vital plot information, then it's failed as a story.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Crap. Forgot about that. Haven't played it in a while. Is that character mentioned at all in XIII, or is it not added til XIII-2?

Apparently, although I have no idea how the player is supposed to draw that conclusion, when the first thing that came to my mind was that they overcame it through the power of friendship.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Peel posted:

I've acclaimed FFXIII's world but this is correct, I recall very little about it. I think what I and other people like is the concept and potential of it. This world where mankind lives as pampered pets and livestock in the shadow of creatures that are alien and unknown but also directly immanent in society is a fascinating and pretty original one. But they didn't do anything with it, because you spent almost all your time in the corridor. All we have is the shadow of something that could have been remarkable but which we never see.

Then the chance to expand on it became a ludicrous time-travel adventure in what almost amounted to a whole other cosmology. Such a waste.

Was I the only one who was immediately reminded of XG's plot after playing XIII? Seriously, mankind created to become fodder for a god is everything that XG is about. I couldn't even really tell what humans were meant to be for in XIII... to be his body when he's reborn? Because that's some straight up plagiarism of XG right there :v:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Squall is dead has the benefit of making some kind of sense out of Ultemicia. She represents his denial of his own death, shown in her desire to make all time a single deathless moment and her hatred of SeeD, which is the organization that ultimately led to Squall's death and is then torn apart in his dying dream and replaced with the much warmer idea that his coworkers are actually adopted siblings he'd forgotten about. After he defeats his own denial, his mind begins to break down at last, but the image of Rinoa helps him to accept his own death and he dreams of a normal life and slips, at last, away....or something, even with that interpretation the ending makes no sense.

Here's my biggest complaint about the oh so serious "Squall is dead" theory: why in hell's blazes would Rinoa get that upset about someone she barely knew, same with him? They don't "fall in love" until a billion other things happen after that bridge scene. I know there's a bunch of reasons why this theory is stupid, but this is the one that sticks out the most to me.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Try XIII if you can find it cheap, if you don't like it, XIII-2 is pretty much more of the same. You'll probably find better RPGs on the XBLA, I couldn't find a ton worth my time on the 360. (obligatory Dark Souls plug here)

EDIT: I would have mentioned Lost Odyssey, but I couldn't really get into it. Gave it a significant try, too. If you're looking for something cute/simple like the Dragon Quest games, maybe Blue Dragon?

My JRPG experience has mostly been on the PSP, DS, and Wii. Pretty well served between the three.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 19, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dark Souls rules, Nier's great if you're willing to forgive some mediocre gameplay in the service of narrative and creativity. Lost Odyssey is a well-made if sometimes troublingly earnest and old-fashioned Final Fantasy style JRPG.

I'm a pretty big 13 hater (the NES games are the only mainseries ones I like less) and I still think it's worth the price of entry at 20 bucks or less, if only to have an informed opinion about why it sucks. 13-2 plays better but the writing is even more absurd.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKRZlzXTRzM&t=361s

Lindzei is mentioned by name. Etro is not, but the references are obvious.

More stuff from the datalogs: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Datalog/Analects

Winks fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 19, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bobtheconqueror posted:

Etro is mentioned by a couple characters, but only briefly, and the War of Transgression is a major background story for Vanille and Fang that featured her direct intervention. She's also the reason you get Eidolons.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
I find the setting of 13 and 13-2 horrifying, and when I played through 13 it was a bummer, from a story standpoint. The characters are on the run for the whole story, and despite the fighting abilities that they have as L’cie they’re never able to take control of the situation. In other games the characters find out things about how their world works, what the villain aims to do, and then figure out how to get at him and kick his rear end. 13's characters just gently caress around until they get forced back to Cocoon and humanity is spared by deus ex machina. Unsatisfying and disheartening.

FF settings always have an element of existential precariousness to them, and 13 is the most extreme example. I would compare it to how Drakengard works: incompetent/malicious gods make the world, and if a specific, fairly probable event happens it all gets wiped away. A nightmarish world to live in, I think. 13 is just a more complicated situation and has much better art assets.

The Fal’Cie being made responsible for all the natural processes of the world is a stupid system that was bound to gently caress up in some way, and the only truly emotionally satisfying resolution the 13 games could have would be to beat up all the gods for their idiocy and make a world that operates without the need for magical help.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, if FF8 is played straight, we're supposed to take the completely ridiculous, nonsensical, plothole-ridden story at face value, which makes it just plain terrible.

Maybe that's because it IS terrible? Coming up with a crazy theory, based purely on conjecture, to cover up plot holes and bad writing is pretty pathetic. And it only becomes "interesting" or "an analysis of the mind and dreams" or any of that other stuff you said if there's actually anything confirming that it's true. This isn't like some Dark Souls thing where the story is hidden but you can still find it if you look hard enough. There's literally nothing to support this theory other than a bunch of folks saying "GEE WOULDN'T IT BE NEAT IF".

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I found 8 to be good if you ignored the story and played card games while breaking the game's back over your knee.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe that's because it IS terrible? Coming up with a crazy theory, based purely on conjecture, to cover up plot holes and bad writing is pretty pathetic. And it only becomes "interesting" or "an analysis of the mind and dreams" or any of that other stuff you said if there's actually anything confirming that it's true. This isn't like some Dark Souls thing where the story is hidden but you can still find it if you look hard enough. There's literally nothing to support this theory other than a bunch of folks saying "GEE WOULDN'T IT BE NEAT IF".

Like I said, I don't believe the theory is right at all. My comments were just in response to the assertion that "it wouldn't change anything at all if the theory was right." I'm basically saying that it would completely change the angle from which you would view the whole thing, which would change things. But sadly, FF8's plot is just a terrible mess, and no theories will ever change that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Right, it would change how you look at it only if it was actually part of the story in the first place, and not just a "theory."

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Etro is mentioned by a couple characters, but only briefly, and the War of Transgression is a major background story for Vanille and Fang that featured her direct intervention. She's also the reason you get Eidolons.

Ok. I totally glossed over there being an overdiety that screwed with things in XIII, although the linked cutscene mentions the Maker and Her Providence. XIII was so much more character focused that the overarching plot was more or less hidden in those poems and analects. More importantly, in Final Fantasy, the gods are only as important as your ability to rebel and murder them at the end of the game.

Edit: Actually, I bet Etro was intended to be there to connect all the other Fabula Nova Crystalis games before that whole thing got nixed, so they just put hints of her as a creator diety in XIII since it was intended to be the first game in a larger setting.

Acidophilus posted:

I find the setting of 13 and 13-2 horrifying, and when I played through 13 it was a bummer, from a story standpoint.

XIII really did have this giant theme of futility to it until right at the end. The whole Focus thing and how you're basically damned no matter what you do, and that these inscrutible dieties just occasionally grab you and say "gently caress you" to ever being free. The best word I can use to describe the game is grim, cause the characters just plod forward, knowing full well that they're doomed.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 19, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bobtheconqueror posted:

Ok. I totally glossed over there being an overdiety that screwed with things in XIII, although the linked cutscene mentions the Maker and Her Providence. XIII was so much more character focused that the overarching plot was more or less hidden in those poems and analects. More importantly, in Final Fantasy, the gods are only as important as your ability to rebel and murder them at the end of the game.

Edit: Actually, I bet Etro was intended to be there to connect all the other Fabula Nova Crystalis games before that whole thing got nixed, so they just put hints of her as a creator diety in XIII since it was intended to be the first game in a larger setting.

Etro is probably the most important part of all the games in the FNC mythology umbrella (FF13, 13-2, Lightning Returns, AND FFXV). But yeah, the cutscene mentions the Maker (Bhunivelze) and Her Providence refers to Etro's bestowing of a heart (chaos) upon humanity; this however also gave humans the ability to die, and then be sent to her realm, the Unseen World or the land of death, depending on who's talking about her.

The "futility" aspect extends from XIII to even XIII-2, because even though Etro saves the character's lives she manages to gently caress everything else up, by once again intervening when she shouldn't.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Ok. I totally glossed over there being an overdiety that screwed with things in XIII, although the linked cutscene mentions the Maker and Her Providence.

Oh no, you didn't gloss over it. The entire loving game did. So much so that whole "Etro's where the eidolons came from" thing is... the exact opposite of what the main plot tells you. XIII is a lot of things but well written it most definitely isn't.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
"Maker" is used interchangeably between the gods too, just to make it extra confusing.

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh no, you didn't gloss over it. The entire loving game did. So much so that whole "Etro's where the eidolons came from" thing is... the exact opposite of what the main plot tells you. XIII is a lot of things but well written it most definitely isn't.
The Eidolons are definitely there to help them. Yeah, the protagonists fight them, but they're there at a turning point to help them through whatever issue they're having at that moment and then when they win, it strengthens them.

Here's the applicable datalog:

"The Goddess pitied also those subjected to that fate of Focus, crueler still than death. To them She sent Her messengers, to deliver hope when all was lost."

-- Sermons of the seeress Paddra Nsu-Yeul

Winks fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 19, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dragonatrix posted:

No it isn't.

From FFXIII:

"The Analects on the goddess Etro suggest that Eidolons are created by her and are her messengers, "to deliver hope when all was lost". The Eidolons' connection to Etro is shown by having her script written across their bodies and during their summon animations. The Eidolons' nature as mechanical beings would confer with the similar beings of fal'Cie, created by the other known gods of Final Fantasy XIII universe, Pulse and Lindzei."

The Eidolons appear during times of "deep despair" to each character. That's what the main game says, but again, using subtle background imagery like the script that appears upon summoning each Eidolon, the game is inferring that it is Etro who sends the Eidolons.

Here's Odin's shield:

This reads:
"Etro praedicatus, tonitrus tuum adventum annuntiet. Eveni, disparator factorum falsorunt.
By grace of Etro, let thunder herald your arrival. Come forth, sunderer of falsehood.

Nomen in sanguine et pactum in veritate est. Odin et suum coniunctum eternum et inexorabilium se leventur.
A name in blood, a pact of truth. Odin shall rise his bond eternal and unyielding."

Since Etro's, Cocoon's, and Pulse's "script" is all a variation of Latin. Etro's is a mix of Cocoon's and Pulse's script.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 19, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That thing with the shield is impressive and all... but there's no chance you saw that in-cutscene when playing, was able to read it and knew exactly what it meant.

Winks posted:

Here's the applicable datalog:

Yeah, notice how I didn't mention those things. Because I never read them. Because you should never have to. That the game only points out Etro's involvement in them at all is precisely what I meant.

v Is it...? Well, that's a cool detail if true except the obvious flaw is that there's no way you can read that when actually playing. You still have to go out of your way to see it, know what's written and then make that comprehensible. If anything, that's even worse!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 19, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, notice how I didn't mention those things. Because I never read them. Because you should never have to. That the game only points out Etro's involvement in them at all is precisely what I meant.

It's literally written all over the Eidolons on either their bodies or when you summon them.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah, it's really neat that they had that stuff hidden in messages through the game is cool, but, well, it's kind of hidden, and it certainly doesn't come up much at all in the story. I wouldn't really call that a fault of the writing, though. Like I said, it's clearly intentional so they can do the world-building more explicitly in other games. It's a hook for fans to find and mull over until they clear it up later on, like they did somewhat in XIII-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah, it's really neat that they had that stuff hidden in messages through the game is cool, but, well, it's kind of hidden, and it certainly doesn't come up much at all in the story. I wouldn't really call that a fault of the writing, though. Like I said, it's clearly intentional so they can do the world-building more explicitly in other games. It's a hook for fans to find and mull over until they clear it up later on, like they did somewhat in XIII-2.

I think it's a pretty clever way of providing background detail without throwing it all in some expository cutscene. Though XIII could have used at least one or two of those that wasn't repeating the much simpler main story yet again.