Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Necroneocon posted:

Is xcom out in NZ right now?
Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

DarkJC posted:

In 5 days the iPhone 4 will be 3 years old.

Huh. poo poo moves fast these days and I feel old.

Necroneocon posted:

It's still Wednesday afternoon on this side of the world. Another 7 hours until it will start showing up.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Anyone else playing Solstice?

It's a game by Zynga... that's a MOBA... and it's not completely terrible? :stare:

At least the heroes have a wide array of different powers

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Dre2Dee2 posted:

It's a game by Zynga... that's a MOBA... and it's not completely terrible? :stare:

What did it clone, and how quickly does battery life drain while playing it? I tried some other IOS MOBA once and it just wasn't sustainable because I had to plug myself in after 20 minutes of gameplay.

I'm downloading it now, I guess.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I'd like to toss out a recommendation to anyone who ever enjoyed the style of the Final Fantasy games. I ended up picking up Final Fantasy Tactics for iOS on a recommendation from Kotaku of all places, and dang if it isn't the second best actual proper video game I have played on my phone yet. (The best actual game was King of Dragon Pass. Play that game if you haven't, most seriously.)

I only played FF7 so that's my only experience with the series, but Final Fantasy Tactics seems to basically distill the game down to its combat essences, minimal grindy BS, and a really impressively deep story.

Bit of a battery murderer though, but that's probably because I find myself playing for 30+ mins at time.

Even though it's a port of a non phone game, they have done a really excellent job of adapting it for the phone. Just really top notch production values all around. Worth a buy.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I was enjoying FFT until I unlocked the arithmetics magic class. If I can recommend one thing it's don't unlock that class! Now I can't help myself rushing through fights with Holy and Chameleon robes. I'd stop using her but then all the hours I spent unlocking it would be worth nothing. The story's still good though.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I really wanted to say this but I was on probation for "weak trolling" about how I honestly felt about zombie games (which was as funny and good as the time I got probated for saying I loved Civ 5 before Gods and Kings with over 200 hours played in it), but Solstice is not a MOBA and it's more like Bloodline Champions, which is dying. There are no creeps, there aren't really lanes. It's just a weird... thing.

It's cool if people like it, but if they want a GOOD REAL moba experience that is still being worked on, then get Heroes of Order and Chaos or Legendary Heroes. HoOaC is my favorite one by far. Legendary Heroes has a single player campaign to ease you in.

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 19, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

DarkJC posted:

Can people really afford to drop like £500 on a new phone every three years though? I sure can't! I will have this 4 until it, or I, die of old age.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well you could get a refurb 4s or 5 for much less when the next model comes out, and hopefully your carrier has some sort of upgrade plan where you get screwed over a longer period of time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Necroneocon posted:

Yes.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Apocron posted:

I was enjoying FFT until I unlocked the arithmetics magic class. If I can recommend one thing it's don't unlock that class!
Unequip the chameleon robes if you want a decent amount of challenge back.

I like the calculus of "Well, I can cast Life 2 and bring Ramza back, but it'll revive their summoner. Or I can nuke two of their guys but I'll take out myself in the process."

It's still a powerful skillset, but absorb makes it boring.

Edit: and seriously, for the new players, if you're really enjoying FFT, try not to grind too much.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 19, 2013

Pretty_Llama
Nov 11, 2009

bubbapook posted:

For those playing Scurvy Scallywags, does the game get tougher? Because I'm on my third set of islands I think (the snowmen one), and pretty much ever since I unlocked the "convert the most popular item to gold" and "convert all gold to swords" skills, together they've basically trivialised every level. Clear out lesser-numbered items in the first couple of moves, hit both skills and hey presto, ~140 power. Combined with the pistol and I basically haven't come across a single enemy that tested me. I'm level 22 now.

I save those for the end of each level - the swords convert to gold bars, so I use them before I fight the last guy on any map and get a ton of gold after.

As much as I enjoy the game it is pretty trivial once you figure out the mechanics. I spend every level pushing the four baddies up into the corner while I keep my guy in the other corner until I've amassed enough power.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

PFlats posted:

I like the calculus of "Well, I can cast Life 2 and bring Ramza back, but it'll revive their summoner. Or I can nuke two of their guys but I'll take out myself in the process."

Edit: and seriously, for the new players, if you're really enjoying FFT, try not to grind too much.

I just can't bring myself to limit myself and make the game harder like that. Maybe if the chameleon robes were rare items you had to jump through hoops to get (ie. stealing, poaching etc) it wouldn't have affected my experience but they're readily a available from every shop early on in the game. I just can't help but think it's poorly thought out design because I can't really see those robes being useful for anything besides calculator holy strategies.

I can see why some people do generic single class party runs etc to try and squeeze life out of the game though.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

How are the controls? Also any IAP?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

PFlats posted:

I love the game and it really blows that almost every post about it here is dedicated to coldly finding every single way to eliminate any trace of fun in it.

Speaking of, am I the only one who cant stand how the touch controls are implemented here?
I'm finding what used to be simple mechanisms in the original game turned to agonising faffing about.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Necroneocon posted:

It's cool if people like it, but if they want a GOOD REAL moba experience that is still being worked on, then get Heroes of Order and Chaos or Legendary Heroes. HoOaC is my favorite one by far. Legendary Heroes has a single player campaign to ease you in.

Oh neat. Yeah I was gonna say, it's like Bloodline Champions but with a few towers thrown in.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm playing it and its qutie good. The IAP hooks aren't exploitive (i.e pay to win). There are only 11 or so heroes at the moment, 5 of which rotate as free every so often (pretty sure League of Legends uses the same system). The biggest issue seems to be people quitting mid-game and the like.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Kimitsu posted:

So I woke up to find Knights of Pen and Paper got an update.

I'm still working on the base campaign, but since I filled out all 5 members of my group early, I'm looking forward to using the Tavern.

Is this worth a second playthrough? What changed in combat?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

The biggest issue seems to be people quitting mid-game and the like.

I think that's an issue on all games of that style.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Probably because theyre awful. Do the games take like an hour in typical dotalike fashion?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

SpookyLizard posted:

Probably because theyre awful. Do the games take like an hour in typical dotalike fashion?

Nope, a typical game is 8 - 12 minutes, so not a huge time commitment. Game is sped up by a lack of creeps, being 3v3 instead of 5v5, and towers lose all their offensive abilities when the opposing team is either all healing or dead. The longest game I've played was 14 minutes, and that was a PVP game where everyone pretty much knew what they were doing.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
In Scurvy Scallywags can anyone tell me what Power and Damage actually do? I thought that Power increased the amount of power you gain from matching swords, but I just matched 4 swords for +3 damage with 180% Power and only got 4 power out of it. I also thought Damage would stack multiplicatively with Power (it doesn't), or that it would affect the damage I do with my skills (it doesn't). It's a fun game and bigger numbers are always better, but I just can't figure out these two stats.

e: Some googling around also revealed to me that you get the stat bonuses from all ships you've built, not just the one that's active :psyduck:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Damage is like the base damage you do. So when you start the round you start with like 28 power, that's your base damage. I have no clue if this is the actual case, I just remember this value going up when I activated the "Your Damage is Increased by 10% of your Power!" passive powerup.

It could also be: The amount of power that you lose when you attack a monster. For example, If you are Power of 50 and you attack someone that's 25, after the fight you may go down to 35-40. The amount you go down by might be *limited* based on your damage multiplier. If you have a high amount of damage, you may only go down to 45 after that 50 vs. 25 fight.

Your power stat is how much power you get when you match swords. Really weird as I think it only matters if you get to 200% power increase, as then all the values are doubled.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 19, 2013

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Wait, is this actually happening? If they port Civ 4 or 5 to the iPad (if there is a god, it'll be 4) I would be so unreasonably happy... and I'd never sleep, but who needs to do that?

Same here, and also I'll never work again. But who needs a job when you've got Civ 4 on your iPad

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Can people really afford to drop like £500 on a new phone every three years though? I sure can't! I will have this 4 until it, or I, die of old age.

You get the phone subsidized on a contract if you don't want to spend $500 every three years up front.

Also this is cell phone territory - poo poo upgrades on a yearly (if not quicker) cycle.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I've played a bit of XCOM, and it's surprisingly scruffy. I knew it would be scaled back from the console/PC version out of necessity, but it feels scaled back. The textures are very muddy, there are no shadows or advanced lighting effects, and it ends up looking a bit grim at times. Worst of all there are no armour customization options. You get one armour choice in the default colour. Mind you, I was used to playing the PS3 version with the "Elite Soldier Pack" so I think that was all part of that (which was a pre-order bonus, and later a DLC option) so that may be accurate to the vanilla game. Colour coding the unit types was very useful, hope they add that in here.

Controls are fine, but not as greatly improved over console as I hoped. The camera is still locked to 4 positions, and rotating it flicks between them. On iPad it would have been perfect to have a totally analogue camera that you rotate as you like. Touch controls for rotating, and direct tapping of units, mean that this feels designed for a controller and not entirely optimized for touch.

Still a great game under all that, but I double dipped to get a smooth commute/bedtime version and it's a bit clunkier than I expected. Temper your expectations before going in.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

I've played a bit of XCOM, and it's surprisingly scruffy. I knew it would be scaled back from the console/PC version out of necessity, but it feels scaled back. The textures are very muddy, there are no shadows or advanced lighting effects, and it ends up looking a bit grim at times. Worst of all there are no armour customization options. You get one armour choice in the default colour. Mind you, I was used to playing the PS3 version with the "Elite Soldier Pack" so I think that was all part of that (which was a pre-order bonus, and later a DLC option) so that may be accurate to the vanilla game. Colour coding the unit types was very useful, hope they add that in here.

Controls are fine, but not as greatly improved over console as I hoped. The camera is still locked to 4 positions, and rotating it flicks between them. On iPad it would have been perfect to have a totally analogue camera that you rotate as you like. Touch controls for rotating, and direct tapping of units, mean that this feels designed for a controller and not entirely optimized for touch.

Still a great game under all that, but I double dipped to get a smooth commute/bedtime version and it's a bit clunkier than I expected. Temper your expectations before going in.

What model are you playing on?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Parkingtigers posted:

Worst of all there are no armour customization options. You get one armour choice in the default colour. Mind you, I was used to playing the PS3 version with the "Elite Soldier Pack" so I think that was all part of that (which was a pre-order bonus, and later a DLC option) so that may be accurate to the vanilla game. Colour coding the unit types was very useful, hope they add that in here.

drat, I bought it last night but haven't leveled up any of my guys to the point where I would notice the color options are gone. It sounds like a small thing but this is THE WORST. Super bummed that's gone, I didn't even realize it was a DLC option.

And yeah, it's quite a bit rougher than I had imagined too. The camera thing is pretty disappointing. One of the very first things I did was try to pinch/swipe the screen. To no effect.

Still XCOM is the best game so I guess they can get away with it.

edit: iPad 3 and the frame rate is pretty bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You get the phone subsidized on a contract if you don't want to spend $500 every three years up front.

Also this is cell phone territory - poo poo upgrades on a yearly (if not quicker) cycle.

You're also paying for a new phone whether you get one or not in many cases.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Sad lions posted:

What model are you playing on?

I'm on iPad Mini. The frame rate being a bit off gets a pass from me purely because it ran like poo poo on PS3 too. Never was a dealbreaker.

It's growing on me. There is a real adjustment period but the underlying game is still so loving good that it wins through. Sure does need more polish. For example, I just discovered that rockets are really difficult to aim as the fire confirmation dialogue window takes focus and all you can do is place where the rocket will land. You can't adjust its elevation, and you lose camera controls. Grenades are fine, but those really tricky rocket shots where you just about hit something if you aim it precisely are going to be kiboshed now. Just getting the fire zone onto two sectoids in light cover was very difficult due to screen size and lack of camera control.

I don't regret my purchase, but I do hope it gets some update love.

Pro-tip: you can doubletap a button on the hot bar instead of tapping once and then a separate tap on the accept button. Saves a bit of time if you are an old hand at this.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yep, it's pretty decent. I kind of wish it ran better on my ipod 5G but otherwise I think it controls and plays a bit better than something like Heroes of Order and Chaos (although I like that one too). Would be nice if they worked on the shop menu a bit because buying stuff seems like a pretty slow process compared to how little time you spend dead/healing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How can I tell what kind of iPod I have? I've got a few-year-old iPod touch that my dad gave me, and I have no idea what generation it's from.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Arcturas posted:

How can I tell what kind of iPod I have? I've got a few-year-old iPod touch that my dad gave me, and I have no idea what generation it's from.

Check here.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm on iPad Mini. The frame rate being a bit off gets a pass from me purely because it ran like poo poo on PS3 too. Never was a dealbreaker.

It's growing on me. There is a real adjustment period but the underlying game is still so loving good that it wins through. Sure does need more polish. For example, I just discovered that rockets are really difficult to aim as the fire confirmation dialogue window takes focus and all you can do is place where the rocket will land. You can't adjust its elevation, and you lose camera controls. Grenades are fine, but those really tricky rocket shots where you just about hit something if you aim it precisely are going to be kiboshed now. Just getting the fire zone onto two sectoids in light cover was very difficult due to screen size and lack of camera control.

I don't regret my purchase, but I do hope it gets some update love.

Pro-tip: you can doubletap a button on the hot bar instead of tapping once and then a separate tap on the accept button. Saves a bit of time if you are an old hand at this.

What size is it once installed?
I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it for now as money is tight (at least tight enough to feel a sting from xcom) but the impulse shopper in me is on the fence.

Also super antsy waiting to news about The Room's update and sequel.
I still replay it from time to time when unwinding and would possibly kill for more of it.

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

Sad lions posted:

What size is it once installed?

3.2 GB

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Can someone explain to me why HOMM 2/3 (or something like it) is not on iPad yet. That sort of game would be amazing for iOS and I'd pay good money for it, but here we are. With nothing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
There's Battle of Westnoth and Palm Heroes Kingdoms 2, both somewhere roiling in my 'bought it never really played' list.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 20, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

DarkJC posted:

I know, I was counting more from the date that the 4s supplanted the 4 as the newest thing on the market.

But I suppose half my poo poo is fuggin dinosaur land anyway, I use a desktop from 2004 and a PS2 as well.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Helical Nightmares posted:

In Warhammer Quest, I sprung for the three IAP characters but I don't see any of them as being able to fill the boots of the Marauder or Grey Wizard. Maybe I've just been lucky with levels and gear but my level 6 Marauder has 50 wounds and I could get another 8 if I wanted to swap out a ring. Also, with the skills Battle Blades, Battle Rage and Hunter's Eye he has a new nickname: Roomclearer. If I'm lucky enough to get Battle Blades to trigger when I walk into an encounter room, my melee attacks are doubled to six. With Hunter's Eye, I can make as many ranged attacks as I have melee attacks. So that's six melee and six ranged in one round.

With Battle Rage I can get an additional melee attack per battle level which at best can lift me to 12 melee attacks. However you can't use Battle Rage in one round then try to use Hunter's Eye as far as I can tell. In that case Hunter's Eye will just give you one ranged attack and the skill will be exhausted for the rest of the dungeon.

As far as I can tell, none of the IAP characters have the healing power of the Grey Wizard. And if you find the Chalice of Battle (+3 strength, +1 melee and ranged attacks; once per dungeon), armed with the twilight teleport ability, the Wizard becomes that much more of a battle ninja.

It doesn't sound like I'm leveled up quite as high as you, but my Marauder experience hasn't been as wonderful. Even with a bonus to hit, I still get annoyed at his lack of accuracy. When I feel like dragging a pure warrior along into a dungeon, I much prefer my Trollslayer. Of course that's based on my purely anecdotal perception of his effectiveness; I haven't crunched the numbers or anything. He does rock the gently caress out of that beard, though.

The Grey Wizard is by far my favorite character, though; his skills are really fun to use and yeah, that teleport spell combined with a good weapon turns him into a goddamned super-ninja. I'm not sure if I'd agree about him being the strongest healer, though; at least in my party. Right now my Archmage seems like a more consistent healer, and he can more easily heal multiple characters. My Grey Wizard's healing spell always seems to roll low when I need it the most (Hey thanks again for the two wound heal on my almost-dead tank, buddy.).

I have all three IAP characters, and they're all great fun. I try to mix up my party during each dungeon to keep their levels on par with each other, and to keep the game interesting. But my ultimate favorite party is my Grey Wizard and all three IAP classes. The priesty duder is a very competent warrior and his wide range of blessings are useful and make him more interesting to play. The Trollslayer is a good heavy hitter, obviously. And having two hard-hitting magic users opens up a ton of cool gameplay possibilities. If my party could have a fifth, it would be elf archer what's-her-face. Obviously she's a hugely effective ranged fighter, but like the pure warriors, she doesn't have a whole lot of relative complexity, and I don't find her as fun to play.

Merchant to the Stars

Hey thanks again for whoever first recommended MttS a while back (I forget if it was a random fan or the goon dev dude). It's really fun. Here are a few thoughts I posted on the TA review page earlier today...

Trustworthy posted:

I'm really digging this game, and haven't been bothered by the timers at all. The option for notifications when someone enters your store is nice. It's nice to see a game like this that isn't rife with freemium IAP monkey business.

However the game's interface could use some improvement. When you tap on an item, for example, it would be nice to be able to tap it again to minimize it (instead of having to hit a separate button; there are a few similar cases of this in different contexts and it gets a little tedious. Another example is when you accidentally try to sell or hone an item when you don't have the gold/resources, and you have to hit that little okay button a couple inches away to continue. Why not let players tap anywhere on the pop-up window to close it, or just tap the item again? Smoothing out some of these little ID/UX details would speed up play a bit and make the game even more enjoyable.

Oh, and most of all, visually I'd love play the game in some kind of shop setting (even if it's just a single static background); currently half the gameplay happens smack dab in the middle of a title screen, with a big ol' title, and a bunch of big tutorial, options, credits, etc. buttons clogging up the screen. It really kills M-M-MY IMMERSION.

Like I said, though, despite some niggling details, I'm still really enjoying the gameplay. I hope the dev(s) keep improving it, adding more features and depth to the gameplay over time, which could increase really the game's longevity.

Oh and the reviewer touches on a good point; it would also be nice to see more risk in the gameplay mechanics. Maybe the occasional incompetent adventurer (maybe he gets killed, reducing your customer base, or maybe he'll only buy crappy low tier equipment, or something), a thief heisting one of your items, or perhaps an awesome-looking item that turns out to be a bad investment (perhaps it's cursed). The possibilities are pretty endless. Having the risk of set-backs would give the game a boost in flavor, and reduce the grindy aspect of just slowly, steadily building up your bank account.

Also on more random, arbitrary/fanciful note, it would be cool to have a few more categories of gear... some additional slots for enchanted jewelry, or general supplies (torches, rations, rope and whatnot), or whatever. For variety and immersion.

Sword & Glory

I just downloaded this, and am going to play it for the first time in a couple minutes. I loving looooooove Kingdom of Dragon Pass though, so if it has even a fraction of that game's feel/awesomeness--which it sounds like it does--I'm sure I'm going to dig it. Although a million goons recommended Battle Cats, so obviously--unlike me--some of you are not trustworthy.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Baldur's Gate was pulled due to "a number of contractual issues." BG2 is also put on hold until/if this is settled.

:smith:

www.baldursgate.com posted:

Dear Friends of Baldur's Gate,

We recently removed Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series' fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards,
Trent Oster
President, Beamdog & Overhaul Games

• Locked thread