Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

RatHat posted:

That sounds very exploitable.

Nah, usually the other characters hide way too close to you to get in anyone else's way, but it is pretty funny watching them run in front of guards who just don't see them. Makes the stealth doable, they run around like loving morons most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you have no control over the NPCs, so if the enemies could see them the stealth system would be completely broken. I totally understand why they set it up like that and agree with the decision but its still kinda funny to catch in a no-win scenario.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I had one glitch in Last of Us last night. The game has some really nice enviromental close combat moves, like for example I attacked a guy who climbed on to a tipped over bookshelf as I was crouching next to it, which caused Joel to grab his ankles and yank him down.

But sometimes it becomes confused. I was fighting a guy standing in a pool of water and got the finishing move where Joel stomps on the guys head, which caused his body to shoot out of the water like rocket, flipping all over the place.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The very first enemy I killed in The Last of Us fell backwards and his head got stuck in the wall. Then the rest of his body flipped into the air and spun like a propeller until his head came loose and he fell to the ground.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Crossposting from Dwarf Fortress thread

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

haveblue posted:

In The Last Of Us, when you're hiding in cover the AI cannot see your NPC partners- but they can still collide with them. I just spent 45 seconds watching a guy trying to walk through a doorway, not realizing that he was making no progress because Ellie was crouching in his way.

Today's Penny Arcade is on this AI flaw.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Kennel posted:

Never played dwarf fortress but drat, an invincible adamantine suit of armor sounds awesome and hilariously broken.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Kennel posted:

Haha cool. I like that the game has such crazy emergent behavior that it accidentally created a cyberdwarf.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

//Edit//
He's being sucked into the ground.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jun 20, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What am I even looking at?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RatHat posted:

What am I even looking at?

A person whose now curled himself up into a ball.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
All I see is a clown mask, with a weird leg next to it. This seems normal for fallout.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kennel posted:

He made a dwarf RoboCop.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kennel posted:

Dwarf Fortress has the absolute best "glitches" aka "emergent gameplay". Stories of how a fortress got an elf for a king whose background went back like 1000 years, when his parents were killed, and how he ruled over various civilizations which crumbled. And how he made his own battleaxe from a mood which he used, exclusively, to personally handle any military threats. Since he was an elf, he couldn't be assigned any orders but for some reason just did whatever he wanted which included, eating, ruling, and killing the gently caress out of anything that came.

Just a perfect storm of bugs and glitches in that game. Like I had a yak, for some reason, never die despite being slaughtered but whenever he was slaughtered he would just sustain a wound to a random body part. So, basically, the butcher would randomly slice off a bit of the yak and let it walk around until the next meal. Eventually I gave it a little hole to sit in next to the butcher's shop as an infinite source of meat but eventually it finally died for real after feeding a fortress of like 60 dwarves for 5 months.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Dwarf Fortress has the absolute best "glitches" aka "emergent gameplay".

If you follow the dev log for the game, the bugs that come up are amazing:

"Okay, there are dwarves walking around, though it's next to the wagon with the equipment that immediately explodes into clouds of boiling bronze while the dwarves flash between the dwarf and bar symbol wearing no-material clothes, but there are dwarves walking around."

"Stopped people from giving quests to kill themselves."

"I went through and fixed a few places where forbidden/on fire weren't being respected for next time. Burning milkable creatures were still a problem for example."

"Got rid of world gen crash during succession after death of prolific long-standing position holders with inbred descendants."

"I had to leave just before I tested the dwarf with the boiling gold blood."

Edit: And I found one example of "emergent behavior" from an interview with the developer: "The one that always comes to mind is the executioner story, where the hammerer was injured, couldn't hold his hammer, and so bit the prisoner to death and then walked around with the guy's arm in his mouth for years."

Brother Jonathan has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jun 20, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Edit: And I found one example of "emergent behavior" from an interview with the developer: "The one that always comes to mind is the executioner story, where the hammerer was injured, couldn't hold his hammer, and so bit the prisoner to death and then walked around with the guy's arm in his mouth for years."

See, it's stuff like this that makes me enjoy stories from DF or SS13. You probably wouldn't get stories quite like this from some AAA title with a million dollars tied up in it and fantastic graphics. Skyrim's glitches sometimes come close, but there's just something so much more enjoyable about these tales that require me to picture the events myself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The mindset that every single moment of the game must be carefully designed, verified, polished, and approved by the creative team makes that sort of thing nearly impossible. No one has the confidence to create interdependent feedback systems and just let 'er rip because if the game does something dumb or frustrating of its own accord they believe it reflects badly on them and their future sales.

Of course, the problem with the games that do take that approach is that they become way more fun to read about than actually play.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Playing AC: Brotherhood, I did an aerial assassination on a soldier but kinda bounced off a tree. Ezio gained upward momentum and went on a beautiful skyward journey (stuck in the "falling through the air to kill a man" pose), which gave me some great views of the world so that's cool.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Is there a place that gathers all of this dwarf fortress emergent behavior stuff? I am not good at the game and these stories sound hilarious.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Well there's always the Dwarf Fortress thread in Games, but I haven't read it so don't know how much of that is stories about the game.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is there a place that gathers all of this dwarf fortress emergent behavior stuff? I am not good at the game and these stories sound hilarious.

This is pretty close to what you want:
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/

Boatmurdered was a fortress that was passed on to a new player every in-game year. It should be noted that it's from a time when the game was 2D, nowadays you can build up and down instead of just into the side of a mountain.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I already read Boatmurdered, I need mooooooore. :aaaaa:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lord Lambeth posted:

Tried Syrupleaf and Headshoots? Holistic beating the gently caress out of everyone with a goddamn backpack will never stop being golden. :allears:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Lord Lambeth posted:

http://lparchive.org/title/dwarf%20fortress

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The best Dwarf Fortress bug will always be geese laying iron thrones.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best Dwarf Fortress bug will always be geese laying iron thrones.

Wasn't that not actually a bug, but more a deliberate reaction Toady put in to test for...~something~ and forgot to remove it? Or come to think of it, I seem to recall it not making it to release.
I could be wrong. DF history is murky enough.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Carbohydrates posted:

Playing AC: Brotherhood, I did an aerial assassination on a soldier but kinda bounced off a tree. Ezio gained upward momentum and went on a beautiful skyward journey (stuck in the "falling through the air to kill a man" pose), which gave me some great views of the world so that's cool.

I had that happen, too! Ezio tried to jump onto a horse that a guard had just jumped onto and for a few moments freaked out between the "get onto horse" and "pull guard off horse" animations and then just gave up and decided to do this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gRiyzsObbU

He eventually floated over to a cliff, but instead of falling or getting stuck, went straight up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5b_oTL0xD4

Time passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3tGFF8azyw

After around two hours (I went and made tea and watched TV for a while to see just how high Ezio would go) he finally reached the top of the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmStXYY348g

Bonus video of some immortal guards I found one time - at 14 seconds I manage to actually jump through the guard I'm attacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIQeeCXLaBc

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Carbohydrates posted:

I had a similar bug once in Excite Truck. It started when I hit one of those "!" items that changes the track suddenly while playing against a cousin. Normally they either let you change rough terrain to something smoother or cause a large hill to appear so you get a nice jump for extra points. They also kind of work as traps, if you get one of the ones that creates a large hill and someone is on that part of the track it will fling them off a ways. For whatever reason this one time the hill sent my cousin flying, only he didn't peter out and fall back to the ground after about 4 or 5 seconds. He just kept on going and going until the island the track was on was just a few inches on a big tv screen. After about 10 seconds I stopped my truck and we just sat and watched him keep going up for at least a minute. Unfortunately we've never had it happen again.

This isn't nearly as severe of a case but same idea. There's also a couple of more normal throws in the video too.
http://youtu.be/NeanrJtksK8?t=1m17s

In Skyrim I also happened to accidentally fling one of the immortal flagged Stormcloaks over the inner siege walls of Solitude during the invasion quest in the Stormcloak civil war questline. A lucky fus roh dah pushed him right into a hill and caused him to bounce up and right over the wall. The only thing that could have made it better is if there was a subquest to find a way to open the siege gates, but they already were open.

Parts Kit has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Jun 21, 2013

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Parts Kit posted:

In Skyrim I also happened to accidentally fling one of the immortal flagged Stormcloaks over the inner siege walls of Solitude during the invasion quest in the Stormcloak civil war questline. A lucky fus roh dah pushed him right into a hill and caused him to bounce up and right over the wall. The only thing that could have made it better is if there was a subquest to find a way to open the siege gates, but they already were open.

Once I was trying to use the blacksmithing forge in Whiterun while Adrianne was using it. So I kept spamming the interact button which usually makes her stop and get kind of shoved out of the way when it goes into the smithing screen. Somehow she got shoved so violently (or maybe hit some object I didn't see) and got launched straight up into the air. I saw her land behind me in the background of the smithing menu and crawl around on the ground a while since she was almost dead from the fall damage.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Had a pretty good one last night on Just Cause 2. Found a Baby Panay Statue but had had no explosives to blow it up with, so I decided to airlift in a Razorback and blow it up because why the hell not? After doing so, the military comes after me and I drove off towards one of the faction bases. I obviously hit people and cars along the way but suddenly started hearing this really odd noise coming from the tank. After reaching the base, I hopped out and looked in front of the tank. Apparently one of the motorcyclists that I hit didn't go flying but the motorcycle got stuck in the front of the tank, and was currently halfway in the ground. With the guy still driving it and attempting to drive forward through my tank. As soon as I stopped and got out, though, he got off the motorcycle and ran off.

Damnedest thing I've seen from that game so far, besides the whole ability to kill myself before ever launching off the ground with an airplane. That's not a glitch though, that's just bad piloting.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Toad on a Hat posted:

besides the whole ability to kill myself before ever launching off the ground with an airplane. That's not a glitch though, that's just bad piloting.
Not a glitch per say, but I did this all the time in Duck Tales: The Quest for Gold before I learned how to operate the drat plane. Still can't land for poo poo though.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Datasmurf posted:

Not a glitch per say, but I did this all the time in Duck Tales: The Quest for Gold before I learned how to operate the drat plane. Still can't land for poo poo though.

Yeah my landings tend to be "Find a military base, speed up, nosedive and jump out before I explode".

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I wish I had gotten to see this, somebody commented in the Last of Us thread that he watched somebody playing duck into a bathroom to hide only to have the floor texture disappear and then turn white just before Ellie went "Oh, gently caress."

I can picture the timing in my head and it's hilarious.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Buzkashi posted:

I wish I had gotten to see this, somebody commented in the Last of Us thread that he watched somebody playing duck into a bathroom to hide only to have the floor texture disappear and then turn white just before Ellie went "Oh, gently caress."

I can picture the timing in my head and it's hilarious.

That's amazing. "Turn it off! The game's gained self-awareness!!"

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A glitch from Assassin's Creed 3, trying to let people out of a magical cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBN9dnWXNh0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

A glitch from Assassin's Creed 3, trying to let people out of a magical cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBN9dnWXNh0

Those are some really dedicated mimes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Loved how they all went into skydiving animations halfway through while still talking calmly.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
I was playing Resident Evil 6 with another goon when steam servers went down. Somehow instead of seeing the "player has disconnected" message, game kept on going as if we were still connected… kind of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i6Qh_gP9X8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Thank you for exposing me to Dwarf fortress and Boatmurdered. I don't think I laughed that hard in ages