Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Old Man Pants posted:

was really let down when I got into the dj booth and saw that he was basically faking it. It is still a very cool performance, but not very impressive once the curtain comes back.

Edit: a good friend of mine who also uses Maschine as a 4th deck in step sequencer mode in Traktor went with me to see him and was also super disappointed.

I think it's still fairly impressive. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what's happening here.)

You're disappointed only because your expectation was that he's not only firing off the samples in the right order, but that he's also doing it in perfect time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icarus
Nov 7, 2003

Native Instruments just dropped the price of the S4 to $599 until August 31 -- now it's pretty much the same price as the S2. http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-controller/traktor-kontrol-s4/pricing-updates/

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

epalm posted:

I think it's still fairly impressive. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what's happening here.)

You're disappointed only because your expectation was that he's not only firing off the samples in the right order, but that he's also doing it in perfect time.

Look at how he has the samples organised. He is playing them in a circle. The kit isn't built to improvise, just to make it seem like he is doing it 'live'.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

icarus posted:

Native Instruments just dropped the price of the S4 to $599 until August 31 -- now it's pretty much the same price as the S2. http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-controller/traktor-kontrol-s4/pricing-updates/

:aaaaa: I think I may try to sell my S2 and get one.

Edit: actually is it possible to use a kontrol z1 along with my s2 to have four decks?

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 23, 2013

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Blowdryer posted:

:aaaaa: I think I may try to sell my S2 and get one.

Edit: actually is it possible to use a kontrol z1 along with my s2 to have four decks?

It probably is possible, but it seems like kind of a waste of an audio interface. You'd probably rather have an X1 (Mk2!) or an F1, depending on what you're doing with your third and fourth decks.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Dessert Rose posted:

It probably is possible, but it seems like kind of a waste of an audio interface. You'd probably rather have an X1 (Mk2!) or an F1, depending on what you're doing with your third and fourth decks.

Well I'm just trying to have track decks, though I was thinking they could be more purposed towards playing sample loops (from other tracks or my own) over the first two decks, but I know for sure I'd like to be able to mix 3 tracks.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Out of curiosity, how do you guys (generally?) approach mixing more than two tracks? I find my mixes get really full with just two.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

It's only going to work if the tracks work together. You can mix like 8 techno tracks at the same time if you EQ them right because most of them are so sparse, but if you're playing big room house or something then the tracks probably just aren't going to work. Think of it as one track, if you have just bassline and drums going then you can add percussion and melody and vocals but if your track already has all of those things then it will be more and more difficult to add anything.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was guessing the answer boiled down to "more sparse genres", but I wanted to ask just in case I was missing something amazing or fundamental.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
This was something that Richie Hawtin was very big into for a long time. Ultimately, most people felt that he ended more concerned with the technology than with the music - which is pretty true. Sure, something like DE9: Closer to the Edit is cool in concept (tracklist here), but it might not always work out.

I think one thing that resonates with me regarding music selection is that some of my favorite mixes let the tracks breathe, and that whoever is mixing has enough confidence in the tracks and in the overall programming of their set that they can just let songs play out. David Mancuso never mixed tracks, Michael Mayer is known for barely mixing tracks, etc. To me, if you have to rely on playing 3 or 4 or more tracks at once and I can tell that you're playing like 3+ songs, as a dancer that leaves me with the same sour taste in my mouth that really quick mixing does.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Muck and Mire posted:

It's only going to work if the tracks work together. You can mix like 8 techno tracks at the same time if you EQ them right because most of them are so sparse, but if you're playing big room house or something then the tracks probably just aren't going to work. Think of it as one track, if you have just bassline and drums going then you can add percussion and melody and vocals but if your track already has all of those things then it will be more and more difficult to add anything.

Remember your ABCs: Always Be Cutting. This goes for simple two-track mixes but it's much more important with three or more. Learn your EQs and how much they cut - for instance, even with Traktor's settings set to the Pioneer-type EQs/filters, I find there's a huge difference between them and my actual DJM. The filters don't have any resonance like the DJM does, and the EQs require a lot more cutting to make the same impact. And cut, and cut some more. Naturally it's the mids and lows that tend to interfere the most (especially if you're not harmonically mixing), so pay attention to how that gets muddy very easily, but you should still pull a bit of the 'percussion' up top every time. I'm a big fan of double-drops, to a fault, and with triples I'm basically killing the entire midrange on the outgoing track.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I think the biggest advantage to having a 3rd or 4th deck is that it gives you an extra deck to cue on. I rarely play more than two tracks at once but an extra deck lets me draw out my blends longer while getting the next track ready. It's also great for back to back sets.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
After having spent a few days with the Z1, I think it's a nice little bit of kit. If you're into compact Traktor setups, it's worth checking out, and it's great in combination with an X1. Also tried it with Traktor DJ on the iPad and it was surprisingly usable, though all the cabling and the external power supply makes it a bit awkward for casual use on the couch or whatever.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
If you play mainstream stuff then you could do live mashups with three or four decks. You could also just make those mashups in Ableton but that's not as fun.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
wrong thread :downs:

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 5, 2013

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Traktor DJ for both platforms is now free. And I am now annoyed at dropped cash on it :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

So can anyone recommend a two channel mixer for a pure vinyl set up? I have a ton of dance records and I'd like to get into bedroom dj'ing, heh. Doesn't have to be super fancy, an FX loop or a filter effect might be nice, as would a record-out line.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

So can anyone recommend a two channel mixer for a pure vinyl set up? I have a ton of dance records and I'd like to get into bedroom dj'ing, heh. Doesn't have to be super fancy, an FX loop or a filter effect might be nice, as would a record-out line.

nuo 2 or 3. ive got a 3 and i really like it

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

A MIRACLE posted:

Xone:92 :devil:

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Been toying with the idea of using just 1 X1 and a sound card, with custom mappings to make it a mixer. Map one of the dials to work as a rotary for the volume. This way you can practice at home (or if you travel) with a very minimal setup. But when you go to the club just switch the bindings over to normal X1 functions and plug into the house mixer. Also very cheap.

Its a little much for somebody who is just starting out but if any experienced/serious djs are looking for a smaller and cheaper solution this seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Anyone care to comment on Z2 vs 62? I've run Serato for a long time (and the bridge, even), but 1500+ seems super steep for a mixer. I haven't heard great things about the Z2 either, so I'm hoping that someone has some thoughts about the whole thing.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Firaga posted:

Been toying with the idea of using just 1 X1 and a sound card, with custom mappings to make it a mixer. Map one of the dials to work as a rotary for the volume. This way you can practice at home (or if you travel) with a very minimal setup. But when you go to the club just switch the bindings over to normal X1 functions and plug into the house mixer. Also very cheap.

Its a little much for somebody who is just starting out but if any experienced/serious djs are looking for a smaller and cheaper solution this seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea.

You could just use an X1 and a Z1.. or whatever that other weird x1 shaped thing that isn't made by Native Instruments is (Behringer?)

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Solus posted:

Traktor DJ for both platforms is now free. And I am now annoyed at dropped cash on it :(

It was just for the app store anniversary

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Solus posted:

You could just use an X1 and a Z1..

This seems like a winning combo if you don't need the jog dials of the S2 or S4. The Z1 takes care of the audio interface portion in addition to the mixer/eq controls

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

dj bobby bieber posted:

Anyone care to comment on Z2 vs 62? I've run Serato for a long time (and the bridge, even), but 1500+ seems super steep for a mixer. I haven't heard great things about the Z2 either, so I'm hoping that someone has some thoughts about the whole thing.

I haven't seen a Z2 out in the wild yet, but I do know from experience that the buttons on the 62 are pretty terrible. What about a DJM-T1?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

TheWevel posted:

I haven't seen a Z2 out in the wild yet, but I do know from experience that the buttons on the 62 are pretty terrible. What about a DJM-T1?

That came down in price quite a bit - no filter knob though which is a dream for disco :(

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Just use 2 of the effects slots. How many effects do you really need? Filter, reverb, echo.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Rane finally released a native iPad app for Serato: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/serato-remote/id661982948?ls=1&mt=8
I wonder if this means my Dicers are obsolete now...

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Gonna wait to see if it's worth the $20, specially after just getting the Traktor app for free.
*edit: there's also an update for SeratoDJ, version: 1.2.1. They loving better have fixed that crossfader bug :argh:

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 15, 2013

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

TheWevel posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing the 62 buttons with the 68? The 68 has terrible buttons but IIRC, Rane changed the button construction on the 62 and it's supposed to be a lot better.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Nope, they're still pretty terrible on the 62.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

TheWevel posted:

T1 has amazing buttons. Same ones as cdjs, just smaller buttons.

The z2 does have dedicated filters, while the djm-t1 does not. this isnt a problem(you have 2 knobs for efx and 1 knob as hp/lp like djm800) so its 2 efx, 1 filter for either mixer. I havnt used a Z2, but based off the quality of other NI djing equipement, i wouldnt buy one.

Ive used my t1 at dozens and dozens of gigs, and while it lives in case, i take it out for gigs, and it still looks and works like i took it out of the box. Its really really impressive.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

oredun posted:

T1 has amazing buttons. Same ones as cdjs, just smaller buttons.

The z2 does have dedicated filters, while the djm-t1 does not. this isnt a problem(you have 2 knobs for efx and 1 knob as hp/lp like djm800) so its 2 efx, 1 filter for either mixer. I havnt used a Z2, but based off the quality of other NI djing equipement, i wouldnt buy one.

Ive used my t1 at dozens and dozens of gigs, and while it lives in case, i take it out for gigs, and it still looks and works like i took it out of the box. Its really really impressive.

Seems like a more solid option than the Z2, and yeah, I completely forgot that the effect can be put on one of the FX knobs.

My only other question that I haven't really seen answered is, how is the looping on the mixer? And did it come with control vinyl?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

dj bobby bieber posted:

Seems like a more solid option than the Z2, and yeah, I completely forgot that the effect can be put on one of the FX knobs.

My only other question that I haven't really seen answered is, how is the looping on the mixer? And did it come with control vinyl?

Looping is kinda lame, but it how NI does it on everything. Its a push knob that selects length, and then you click it to engage. Z2 and T1 do it the same way.

Vinyl works great, its the only way i use it except for gigs that dont need mixing, in which case i just bring the mixer and computer and honestly i can mix like 80% as well(as long as everything is gridded) as with vinyl.

I still hate traktor due to its bugginess and outrageous complexity, but it ties in so well with the T1 its worth it.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

vas0line posted:

Rane finally released a native iPad app for Serato: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/serato-remote/id661982948?ls=1&mt=8
I wonder if this means my Dicers are obsolete now...

In case you're still wondering - no. The app is a nice remote, and has surprisingly low latency even over wifi. There's just nothing that can compete with an actual physical interface. I would consider the app more useful for effects integration than cue/loop functions - and while triggering the sampler through the app has the same downfalls as cue/looping, there are advantages there in the visuals displayed (whereas I always forget how I mapped whatever midi controllers.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So this is something that's been bothering me for a while and I can't seem to get a definitive answer anywhere.

When using a mixer 0db is unity gain, correct? Obviously the odd flash at +2/3db is fine but you'd assume that for the best possible sound quality you'd keep it at 0db because beyond that you're beginning to mangle the output.

...so why do a lot of 'professional' DJs blast the mixer to +6/8db and clear into the reds?

I paid a DJ to play at a night for us on my sound system and he started off at 0db and at some point thought 'gently caress it!' and ended up clipping the signal to gently caress. If you feed a PA system a lovely signal all you get out the speakers is a lovely signal, just loads loving louder. I have the master faders, tell me if you want it cranked!

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
His job is to control the volume. He should never let it clip, you should give him hell of headroom (as much as your speakers can take, and tell him this upfront) and when the mood/amount of people requires more volume he cranks the master knob /fader on his mixer. If you're dragging faders down on the other side of the room without letting him know then you are as much part of the problem, it's hard to work with a system that continuously changes.

But most likely he didn't know what he was doing if the lights were red. Those lights/faders are for balancing tracks and keeping them from clipping anyway, not for regulating the volume of the overall output.

Oh and sometimes we/I drink too much.

utamaru fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 28, 2013

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
I have a personal problem, and that problem is running my main output into the red just about as far as it will go. I paid for those red lights, im gonna use them dammit!

But really, i just start drinking, the people start filling the club up, and I cant help it.

What i do is, tell the soundman this is going to happen and prepare for it. I soundcheck at like 85% volume(some yellow) and then have him limit me a little bit below unity at his mixer. So that way, theres no way i can clip the mixer on the way in or out.

If a DJ is clipping the system, its the operator of the systems fault, not the DJ. Its a whole other story if hes using a behringer mixer with every EQ pinned and the gain pinned, thats clipping inside the DJ mixer. You cant really clip a high end modern DJ mixer without really trying(its not even possible on the pioneer mixers) so as long as its not hitting the pres too hard on the FOH mixer youll be fine.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I was DJ'ing at a party and every time some of the ladies said it was too loud (to the people behind the bar) they turned down the master fader a little bit, which I automatically "corrected" on my end at the opposite side of the place. 45 minutes later I get told everything sounds like poo poo and maybe I'd blown the speakers. Communication is gold, for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd set the system up earlier in the day and with the DJ mixer outputting at unity and the main mixer at about 60% tracks were playing at 116db at the back of the room which is a loving SILLY volume but there was zero distortion from the speakers.

Communication is indeed key, I need to have something written into the contract that states the mission of the sound system is quality above all and to give me a shout if they want to push it at peak time.

The system just sounds like a massive high quality hi-fi system, it's ridiculously clear sounding which is why I think he cranked it.

Thanks, I'll make sure to have a word with whoever's playing, my friends understood the deal but obviously getting someone else in means we need to have a wee chat so they understand the aim of the game.

oredun posted:

What i do is, tell the soundman this is going to happen and prepare for it. I soundcheck at like 85% volume(some yellow) and then have him limit me a little bit below unity at his mixer. So that way, theres no way i can clip the mixer on the way in or out.

If a DJ is clipping the system, its the operator of the systems fault, not the DJ. Its a whole other story if hes using a behringer mixer with every EQ pinned and the gain pinned, thats clipping inside the DJ mixer. You cant really clip a high end modern DJ mixer without really trying(its not even possible on the pioneer mixers) so as long as its not hitting the pres too hard on the FOH mixer youll be fine.

See this is fine assuming Mr DJ wants to keep poo poo running in green/yellow, Pioneers start to distort at +4db and go to complete poo poo on red hence the 'OVER' marking next to those red LEDs which are +12/13db. It's not something you can hear too well on a lot of systems but as mentioned ours sounds just like a massively loud hi-fi and you can certainly tell when reds are being mashed.

The thing is though it was a new system and even redlining the mixer it was barely hitting the limiter on the subs so I consider it a learning experience and indeed a stress test for all the gear. I'll know next time, thanks for your input.

Kinda wish Pioneer would make a mixer that redlines at 0db though, it'd be loving great.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 29, 2013