Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Dandy Shrew posted:

I ate a metric poo poo ton of oatmeal to boost my supply. Rory is a little greedy guts and I'm still producing about 20% more than he'll eat (growth spurts not withstanding). I've been exclusively pumping since he was about 3 weeks old because he just had no interest in the breast. I pump every 2 hours during the day, yielding about 180ml per pump except in the morning where I get ~340ml. How long are you pumping each session?

Oatmeal was what I was told too. I can notice a difference when I have oatmeal for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

Dandy Shrew posted:

I ate a metric poo poo ton of oatmeal to boost my supply. Rory is a little greedy guts and I'm still producing about 20% more than he'll eat (growth spurts not withstanding). I've been exclusively pumping since he was about 3 weeks old because he just had no interest in the breast. I pump every 2 hours during the day, yielding about 180ml per pump except in the morning where I get ~340ml. How long are you pumping each session?

That's how Max is when we attempt actual breastfeeding - either completely disinterested in the breast or actively fights it, depending on how awake he is. I hadn't heard about oatmeal. Does it have to be the breakfast cereal kind? I'm not a fan, but I may have to give it a go.

So far I've been pumping for about 15 minutes on each side, on the LC's recommendation. I was doing it about every 3 hours, but the last two days it's been more like every hour and a half as I try to keep up with Max's demands. I've been getting on average between 60cc and 120cc total each time I pump, though it's been a little bit less since I've started doing it more frequently.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

pixie delights posted:

I hadn't heard about oatmeal. Does it have to be the breakfast cereal kind? I'm not a fan, but I may have to give it a go.

I was told oatmeal in anything. Even oatmeal cookies and granola.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/oatmeal/

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

You can bake lactation cookies with various ingredients that help with milk supply. These ones are delicious, though I've never made them monster-sized, and I add extra chocolate chips.

http://www.organicmamacafe.com/2012/07/flourless-lactation-cookies-monster-cookie-style/

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I come with nothing but questions- how swollen is too swollen for one's feet? My feet are quite puffy, but it's coincided with three days of 95 degree (35C) weather, walking several miles each day and standing around for a few half-hour stretches. My hands are also swollen, enough so that I've taken off my wedding ring.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well, looks like I'm back in this thread for round 2.

We're feeling a bit guilty because we had dinner with a couple who've been trying for a year now without success. My wife peed on the stick last night after our 1st month of trying and BOOM. We're stunned because we're both 35 now so we thought it would take a few months "work" at least.

I look forward to asking questions about whatever is stressing me that particular day. Getting very excited already :)

Here's a picture of my 2yr old as payment for future answers:

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I can relate to that one! My husband and I started trying in January, got pregnant in March, lost the baby in April, and tested positive again before I even had another cycle. My best friend, the one who has been trying to get pregnant for about 3 years, was the one who drove me to the store to buy the pregnancy test while I was on vacation.

It's so difficult to know how to react to those situations. Is it okay that I'm still excited? Should I get on my plane early so she isn't exposed to someone who easily gets pregnant? One shouldn't have to feel guilty about getting pregnant, but it's hard not to when those close to you are in so much pain.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Molly Bloom posted:

I come with nothing but questions- how swollen is too swollen for one's feet? My feet are quite puffy, but it's coincided with three days of 95 degree (35C) weather, walking several miles each day and standing around for a few half-hour stretches. My hands are also swollen, enough so that I've taken off my wedding ring.

How far along are you? I would say walking several miles each day in 95 degree weather is not ideal. Unless this is a one off thing. I wouldn't really make a habit of it. I'd talk to your OB and possibly go in for a checkup if it's alarming to you.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

bamzilla posted:

How far along are you? I would say walking several miles each day in 95 degree weather is not ideal. Unless this is a one off thing. I wouldn't really make a habit of it. I'd talk to your OB and possibly go in for a checkup if it's alarming to you.

26 weeks. It's not a habitual thing, we just had visitors that had no sense of what I could and couldn't do. The temperature's dropping tonight for the next week, so I'll watch and see. I've sat all day today and I'm still puffy.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

We're feeling a bit guilty because we had dinner with a couple who've been trying for a year now without success. My wife peed on the stick last night after our 1st month of trying and BOOM. We're stunned because we're both 35 now so we thought it would take a few months "work" at least.

Congrats! I went through the same thing with a friend. She and her husband have been trying for years unsuccessfully. They've done all sorts of hormone injections and are currently saving for IVF. Hubby and I discuss starting to actually try and boom. I felt so guilty. I didn't want to tell her. I felt like I was rubbing it in her face if I told her, but she was really happy for us and is excited to meet the baby the next time we're in town. Part of me still feels bad though. She really wants kids and its just not working for them.

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.
I think Molly Bloom earned those swollen feet. Take a load off, girl! See if you can get the swelling to go down. If your hands and feet don't go back to normal after rest, elevation and fluids, then you might talk to your doc.

And congrats Subban!

Hey, has anyone experienced a foley bulb induction? I know they can be truly uncomfortable, but I'm getting one tonight nonetheless.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

Midnight Science posted:

Hey, has anyone experienced a foley bulb induction? I know they can be truly uncomfortable, but I'm getting one tonight nonetheless.

I was induced 3 mos ago and when they were trying to insert the foley they accidently broke my water. I don't know how common that is though. I heard the resident say to the nurse she doesn't like to cut the tip because it often breaks the water. Not really sure why they cut it other than it was standard practice. I was at a teaching hospital so I could have just had bad luck with the new lady resident. I was upset when it happened (clock now ticking for a possible c section) but it actually helped jumpstart labor and I never had to have pitocin.

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.

lady flash posted:

[B]ut it actually helped jumpstart labor and I never had to have pitocin.

Hey that's pretty flippin sweet...my midwife's pretty experienced, so hopefully there won't be any mishaps (though I wouldn't mind a labor like yours). Congrats, btw, flash!

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

pixie delights posted:

Oh hey, I am finally back, and wanted to introduce my son.
I'm madly in love with your giant baby (and his name.) That is all.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I had a foley induction. Actually, I had 2 rounds of cervidil and then they came in and said they wanted to do a 3rd round, I refused and demanded a foley induction instead. It worked (slowly, but it worked nonetheless). I didn't think it was horribly painful or anything, just annoying,

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

pixie delights posted:

That's how Max is when we attempt actual breastfeeding - either completely disinterested in the breast or actively fights it, depending on how awake he is. I hadn't heard about oatmeal. Does it have to be the breakfast cereal kind? I'm not a fan, but I may have to give it a go.

So far I've been pumping for about 15 minutes on each side, on the LC's recommendation. I was doing it about every 3 hours, but the last two days it's been more like every hour and a half as I try to keep up with Max's demands. I've been getting on average between 60cc and 120cc total each time I pump, though it's been a little bit less since I've started doing it more frequently.

The way this is phrased makes me think you're using a single-sided pump. If so, you'll get a lot more mileage out of a double electric pump.

Oatmeal & fenugreek are the proven milk boosters. Make sure you're staying hydrated too. The easiest way to do this is to just keep a water bottle with you at all times.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I'm madly in love with your giant baby (and his name.) That is all.

Thanks! :) Surprisingly, I've had a lot of people ask me if I made his name up.

GoreJess posted:

The way this is phrased makes me think you're using a single-sided pump. If so, you'll get a lot more mileage out of a double electric pump.

I have the Medela PIS backpacks, but up until today I was only doing one side at a time. The link someone gave me to Kellymom gave me some instructions on DIY hands-free pumping methods and I was able to start doing both sides at once today, so that was incredibly helpful. I do the water bottle thing already, I'm one of those people that are always thirsty.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have oatmeal on my shopping list, and I'll add fenugreek as well. Max is also grateful and says thanks with his cuteness! Here he is at 2 weeks old.

pixie delights fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 21, 2013

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Ack, my milk came in overnight and it changed the shape of my nipples enough that C, who was a champ latcher, can't figure it out now.

I had to give him formula this morning in desperation, we're trying to feed him silly to get rid of his mild jaundice and we see the ped again this morning so I want to make sure he's hydrated enough/not cranky and starving. I have to wake him to feed, and he's still in newborn sleep all the time mode so it's a struggle!

We had an incredibly traumatic heel stick blood draw yesterday where he wouldn't bleed enough, they did both heels, it took 10+ min, and I got a call back 2hrs later saying we needed to come back and do it all over again. I cried, I admit. But they got it. I thought they didn't get enough blood, but the ped called later that night personally to apologize for the"mixup" and to say she called the lab supervisor to tell them that it was unacceptable. His levels are high but don't peak till today so we go back to get recheck, they were in "just get some indirect sun" levels. Hoping they dropped. (Oh God I can do this I can do this...)

I haven't had time to even open my pump that the hospital have me (insurance covered!) or read up on how to fix the latch problem, writing this as I try to get dressed to go to the ped in a bit. My boobs are by no means huge, but my "your nipples are perfect" nipples (haha, my midwife said this) don't stick out as much now.

sudont fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 23, 2013

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I have the same nipple issue, especially if I get engorged. The shape is good normally (it was weird getting compliments on nipple shape from the nurses and lc while I was in the hospital) but sometimes they go oddly flat.

Have you tried manually stimulating them to get them to stick out more? If that doesn't work, get a manual pump and pump for a few seconds and they should get easier for him to latch onto.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Sudont, try reverse pressure softening: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman/

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

pixie delights posted:

Thanks! :) Surprisingly, I've had a lot of people ask me if I made his name up.

I have the Medela PIS backpacks, but up until today I was only doing one side at a time. The link someone gave me to Kellymom gave me some instructions on DIY hands-free pumping methods and I was able to start doing both sides at once today, so that was incredibly helpful. I do the water bottle thing already, I'm one of those people that are always thirsty.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have oatmeal on my shopping list, and I'll add fenugreek as well. Max is also grateful and says thanks with his cuteness! Here he is at 2 weeks old.

If you're going to be pumping regularly, do yourself a favor & get this: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes...+breastpump+bra

It will be your new best friend.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I have kind of a dumb question, but it's been bugging me lately - what do you wear during labour? Like, at what point between entering the hospital and pushing out the baby do the pants come off? Are you put in one of those hospital gowns right away? I figure they have to have easy access to check how things are progressing, but the idea of spending potentially a double digit number of hours in an assless paper gown without undies on isn't particularly appealing.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
At my hospital they had you wear your own nightgown or pjs. They admitted me right from the clinic to be induced so I was wearing my street clothes for a few hours and then changed into a nightgown and then finally a gown when I had to have a c-section. Saw lots of ladies in labor roaming the halls in sleep wear and a bathrobe.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I wore a gown. The hospital's L&D had really nice soft cotton gowns with slits in the front you could open to nurse. I wrecked it, I'm glad I just threw it in a bin afterward.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
C went for a followup at the pediatrician yesterday, and had one more blood draw, this time from his arm (oh God) since his heels were all nicked up from the umpteen attempts the day before. And we are happy to report that his bilirubin levels are on the way down, and he gained 2 oz overnight, so we're on the right track! (Was 7lbs 8oz at birth, 7lbs at the weight check 3 days after he was born.)

Thanks for the advice on latching; I don't know what changed but he seems to mostly have a handle on it now without me doing anything. The biggest challenge we have right now is that he's soooooo sleepy--the pedi said jaundiced babies tend to be, and he is impossible to wake. I'm waking him every 2.5 hrs to nurse, and it can take 30 min to get him awake enough to do anything other than lazily comfort nurse, so by the time we're done it's time to start again! (Typical new nursing mom complaint.)

I want to start pumping so I can freeze and store some milk; his father is visiting this weekend and I want him to be able to feed him and bond a little, but am confused as to how to pump while also nursing. It's probably exhaustion making it more confusing than it should be, and I haven't had use of my arms long enough to look on Kellymom really, but should I pump on one side while nursing him on the other, then switch next feed? It may be too early to pump, my milk just came in yesterday, but between his laziness and my inability to hear if he's actively swallowing, I want to make sure I keep my supply up and also have the chance to give my nipples a break/let others feed him. He's had bottles and a pacifier and neither seem to have messed up his ability to latch/suck so that's good at least, he really seems to just know what to do, he just doesn't want to wake up to do it!

sudont fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 23, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Sockmuppet posted:

I have kind of a dumb question, but it's been bugging me lately - what do you wear during labour? Like, at what point between entering the hospital and pushing out the baby do the pants come off? Are you put in one of those hospital gowns right away? I figure they have to have easy access to check how things are progressing, but the idea of spending potentially a double digit number of hours in an assless paper gown without undies on isn't particularly appealing.

Mine had you change into it first thing after they led you to the room, sure they're not super comfortable but after your water breaks and you give birth and there is fluid and blood all over the place... you'll be glad you're not the one who has to do the laundry.

Besides by the time you get admitted in active labor I think what you're wearing is the last thing you're focusing on.

Definitely bring an open front sweater or bathrobe though if you're prone to being cold, those gowns don't cover your arms very well. And slipper socks, the hospital ones are crap.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Oh, it's not the fashion aspect I'm worried about, just the comfort level. If things move quickly it won't be a problem, but if the bit between checking into hospital and the bit with the blood and the fluids and pushing drags out, I figured being half naked the whole time would be a bit chilly, if nothing else.

Sounds like I'll be bringing something warm and loose and throwawayable. Thanks for all the answers!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I got hot & sweaty really fast during labor, so I was pretty much naked for a few hours. According to my husband, the room was freezing, but it felt like a sauna to me.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Sockmuppet, at Ullevål (and I can't imagine it's different at ahus), they give you a cotton gown with buttons. They gave me a pair of mesh panties too if I remember correctly. This was after I was in active labor, maybe it's different if you're in the hospital before labor has started. I came in at 6 and 4 cms so I was taken to a delivery room and they gave me the gown. I did get very warm and took it off when I had labored for a while.

Edit: the delivery rooms are warm and cozy, I really doubt you'll get chilly, especially in July ;)

Is baby still head down?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

Is baby still head down?

Yup!

That's a very good point about it being the middle of summer. I've been putting off packing my bag because it somehow feels like that will be jinxing it and she'll flip back and I'll end up with a scheduled C-section, so I've been actively trying not to think about what to pack, and I think that's why I'm suddenly worrying about clothes and such - I'm starting to think I might get to have this baby the old fashioned way, and I don't want to be caught out having not brought something totally obvious that the hospital expected me to bring. Also trying to in a small way control something completely uncontrollable :v:

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I packed. Oh, dear god did I pack. I had everything from robes to nightgowns, underwear to booties. Do you know how much of it I wore? Yeah, not a single shred until well after the birth, and even that was minimal.

My biggest advice is to pack whatever you want, and not worry about it either way. In the end, having three sets of going home outfits made me feel better and more prepared. I would suggest, however, that you don't pack the antique blanket your great grandmother made. Sometimes things get lost in hospitals, and when they do, it's the one thing you really had an attachment to.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh, it's not the fashion aspect I'm worried about, just the comfort level. If things move quickly it won't be a problem, but if the bit between checking into hospital and the bit with the blood and the fluids and pushing drags out, I figured being half naked the whole time would be a bit chilly, if nothing else.

Sounds like I'll be bringing something warm and loose and throwawayable. Thanks for all the answers!

I'm usually a cold person. I tend to have a blanket on me at all times. During active labor I wanted every blanket they had on me off. I was burning up. My hospital changed me into a typical snap shoulder gown. I brought all sorts of other things to wear but I honestly didn't end up using any of them until after she came.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

jota23 posted:

I packed. Oh, dear god did I pack. I had everything from robes to nightgowns, underwear to booties. Do you know how much of it I wore? Yeah, not a single shred until well after the birth, and even that was minimal.

My biggest advice is to pack whatever you want, and not worry about it either way. In the end, having three sets of going home outfits made me feel better and more prepared. I would suggest, however, that you don't pack the antique blanket your great grandmother made. Sometimes things get lost in hospitals, and when they do, it's the one thing you really had an attachment to.

I agree with this.

I packed some snacks (nuts, dried fruits - you'll be glad you ate dried fruit when taking your first post partum dump btw). Sweatpants, slippers, some tops that can easily be pulled down, although I often just nursed without a top on. A few baby outfits. The hospital puts a onsie, pants and a hat on your baby when you're done nursing and having skin to skin when she's newborn. After those get dirty you're expected to have clothes with you for her. The hospital provides diapers, wipes and pads. (This info is specifically for Sockmuppet since we live in the same city.)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, I definitely don't want to drag a ton of stuff with me. And no antiques, I promise!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Killer_Frost posted:

I'm usually a cold person. I tend to have a blanket on me at all times. During active labor I wanted every blanket they had on me off. I was burning up. My hospital changed me into a typical snap shoulder gown. I brought all sorts of other things to wear but I honestly didn't end up using any of them until after she came.

During labor you'll definitely not want much but afterwards some warm stuff is definitely handy so bring it with you, unless you have someone to go fetch them for you after the baby is born. My rooms were pretty cold.

Stuff I actually needed at the hospital:
- toiletries (toothbrush, hairbrush, deodorant)
- entertainment (the baby sleeps a LOT)
- camera
- sweater, slipper socks
- going home outfit for me (sans underwear, you'll probably be still using the hospital mesh grannie panties because of the huge pads)
- going home outfit for baby (something to cover everything, I like the sleep n play jammies and a blanket to put over them when they're in the car seat)
- pacifier if you want your car ride home to be nice and quiet, I know it's not recommended to use them at all but I find if you just use them for car rides you save yourself a lot of suffering in the long run.

My hospital basically let you clean out the baby drawer so I didn't need diapers or wipes, and they provided me with a knit cap but you might want to bring those anyways, just in case. I also packed my breast pump and ended up not needing it but this was my second child so my milk came in fine.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I packed pajamas, robe, clothes, nursing bras and tanks and going home clothes and I stayed in the gowns the whole time since I just didn't care and getting dressed seemed like a lot of work. I also didn't pack my bag at all until 5 minutes before we left for the hospital.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pack snacks for yourself and your partner. Pack double what you think you'll need.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Alterian posted:

Pack snacks for yourself and your partner. Pack double what you think you'll need.

Unless you're lucky enough to get a room close to the kitchen, then you can raid it to your heart's content. I did get a little tired of apple juice though.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
I don't remember what I packed, but I can tell you I used almost none of it. I would bring a set of going home clothes for you and baby, toiletries, a bath towel (the hospital ones are tiny and SO rough), slippers, some snacks for early on in labor, and some sort of music playing device (and it's charging cable). E was fussy in the first couple of days but Lady Gaga calmed that boy right down.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
Honestly you could forget your entire carefully packed bag and you won't think of it once. You have other problems. All those lists of "things you must take" are bullshit. And you are so hot giving birth you could be naked on ice and never feel it.