Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
So I got a letter today saying that Sprint isn't going to be supporting my Airrave (1.0) anymore. Didn't say anything about getting an updated version or anything (I currently get it scott free because their maps say I have excellent signal whereas reality drops 99% of my calls). I'm not going to pay for one out of pocket, not when ETF would cost the same to jump to a carrier that I get signal with. Should I go ask at a corporate store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Tedronai66 posted:

So I got a letter today saying that Sprint isn't going to be supporting my Airrave (1.0) anymore. Didn't say anything about getting an updated version or anything (I currently get it scott free because their maps say I have excellent signal whereas reality drops 99% of my calls). I'm not going to pay for one out of pocket, not when ETF would cost the same to jump to a carrier that I get signal with. Should I go ask at a corporate store?
If the letter didn't give you any information, I would contact Airave support (866-556-7310). In my experience, you won't be able to get any help with anything Airave related at a store, corporate or otherwise.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

datajosh posted:

If the letter didn't give you any information, I would contact Airave support (866-556-7310). In my experience, you won't be able to get any help with anything Airave related at a store, corporate or otherwise.

Well, they've got an Airrave 2.5 headed my way. Rep on the phone neglected to tell me that she was flagging it as defective and there could be a $125 charge if no defect is found? Maybe it's just SOP for these 1.0 units since they're going EOL/no support in August.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

Nope, any kind of smartphone requires a data plan, plus the $10 unless you were grandfathered in (and don't switch phones).

Oh sorry I guess the only way to get smart phones on dumb phone plans is prepaid/crazy phone sorcery. It's too bad because plenty of smart phones make great dumbphones.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
thanks for the info, I was going to buy my dad a used smartphone and NOT get data. I guess its a hunt for "feature" phones ala 2009

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't know if this was posted earlier in the thread, but there is a super-secret Jellybean update for the E4GT out. Well, not super secret, but not highly publicized.

It's not an OTA update, so you'll have to go to Samsung's site to get the update and install it via USB.

I'm liking Jellybean so far - it remains to be seen if it resolves any of the issues I've been having though.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Tedronai66 posted:

Well, they've got an Airrave 2.5 headed my way. Rep on the phone neglected to tell me that she was flagging it as defective and there could be a $125 charge if no defect is found? Maybe it's just SOP for these 1.0 units since they're going EOL/no support in August.

How's 2.5 different than 2? Assuming that 2.0 was the Airvana

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

Duckman2008 posted:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12529

Anyone who has a WiMax phone can leave or upgrade .

I called the SERO/EPRP. Asked about the contract change and said I would like to cancel my account. Without any fights I got out of the ETF. Moving to T-Mobile later haters.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know if this was posted earlier in the thread, but there is a super-secret Jellybean update for the E4GT out. Well, not super secret, but not highly publicized.

It's not an OTA update, so you'll have to go to Samsung's site to get the update and install it via USB.

I'm liking Jellybean so far - it remains to be seen if it resolves any of the issues I've been having though.

Fixes some of the reboot issues. Thats about it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Fixes some of the reboot issues. Thats about it.
I'm hoping GPS and some of the weird messages I've been getting are fixed as well. I've got two weeks until my phone is up for trade-in, and I'm trying to decide if I keep it and ride out the contract until December, or if I bite the bullet and upgrade to the S4 or HTC One.

On that note, regarding the WiMax conversation earlier - does the change effectively break the contract, or do you just get some phone the Sprint deigns to send you?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm hoping GPS and some of the weird messages I've been getting are fixed as well. I've got two weeks until my phone is up for trade-in, and I'm trying to decide if I keep it and ride out the contract until December, or if I bite the bullet and upgrade to the S4 or HTC One.

On that note, regarding the WiMax conversation earlier - does the change effectively break the contract, or do you just get some phone the Sprint deigns to send you?

Voids your contract.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

berzerkmonkey posted:

If you're installing this - BACK UP YOUR USB STORAGE FIRST. About 1 in 4 of the installs I've done have wiped it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Voids your contract.
Interesting. The guy I just chatted with said no such thing. Guess I'd have to call? How does a void work - is it an immediate cancellation or do I go month to month from that point?

TVs Ian posted:

If you're installing this - BACK UP YOUR USB STORAGE FIRST. About 1 in 4 of the installs I've done have wiped it.
I did not do this for my phone, though I don't seem to have lost anything. Also, are you referring to internal storage, or is USB storage something else entirely?

EDIT: What the hell? My phone is saying that I'm roaming internationally? And it looks like my Google contacts got hosed up somehow. People are sharing photos, emails, phone numbers, etc. drat it.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 18, 2013

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I like the stark contrast here.

I don't know why Sprint even has 3g because it's completely goddamn useless. Fortunately I have 4G almost everywhere, but holy poo poo is it annoying if I'm in an area without an LTE tower.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
nm

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

uapyro posted:

How's 2.5 different than 2? Assuming that 2.0 was the Airvana

http://now.sprint.com/airave/?ECID=vanity:airaveaccesspoint I guess they're the same thing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I did not do this for my phone, though I don't seem to have lost anything. Also, are you referring to internal storage, or is USB storage something else entirely?
The internal storage, at least the pictures/video/files part. It's not guaranteed to mess up, but a good number of them come up after an upgrade with a "Blank USB storage, format now?" notification. Contacts, settings, apps, etc are still there, but all the content is gone.

It's not something that's supposed to happen, but they warn you to back it up for a reason. Fortunately the first one I saw it on was one that had been recently wiped anyway.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ok, thanks - I backed up on my wife's phone (I didn't have anything that I was concerned about losing) but still didn't have an issue. Yeah, every time I do an upgrade, I back up anything I don't want to lose anyway. I know it's supposed to be an upgrade in place, but you never know.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I was in the Seattle airport last week and for the first time ever the 4g icon lit up on my SGS3 :unsmith:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Network Vision update:

Approximately 1,270 updated sites since our last status update: Atlanta/Athens (78), Indianapolis (58), Minnesota (51), West Michigan (47), Nashville (41), New Orleans (40), Cleveland (38), Missouri (38), Northern Jersey (37), Miami/West Palm (32), New York City (31), Boston (30), Orlando (28), Oklahoma (26), Arkansas (25), LA Metro (24), Philadelphia Metro (24), Raleigh/Durham (23), Tampa (23), Oregon/SW Washington (22), San Diego (22), Austin (21), Washington DC (21), Memphis (20), Houston (19), Jacksonville (18), Orange County (18), South Carolina (18), West Texas (17), East Michigan (16), Albuquerque (15), Alabama (15), East Texas (15), South Texas (15), Central Jersey (14), Las Vegas (14), West Kentucky (14), Chicago (13), Phoenix (13), Riverside/San Bernardino (12), Southern Connecticut (12), Colorado (10), San Antonio (10), Central Pennsylvania (9), GA/SC Coast (9), SF Bay (9), The Panhandle (9), Myrtle Beach (8), West Washington (8), Georgia (7), Long Island (7), Louisiana (7), North Wisconsin (7), Southern Jersey (7), South West Florida (7), Columbus (6), DFW (6), Upstate NY East (6), Kansas (6), Milwaukee (6), Mississippi (6), Norfolk (6), Charlotte (5), Providence (5), South Bay (5), Central Illinois (5), Upstate NY Central (4), Baltimore (3), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (3), Gulf Coast (3), PR/VI (3), Tucson/Yuma (3), West Iowa/Nebraska (3), Inland Northwest (2), Northern Connecticut (2), Utah (2), VT/NH/ME (2), North LA (1), Pittsburgh (1), Upper Central Valley (1).

Highlights this week: First sites accepted in the West Kentucky, Upper Central Valley and Utah markets. First LTE sites accepted in the Alabama, Arkansas, East Texas, Georgia and Mississippi markets.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
loving PHOENIX HOLY poo poo SPRINT WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
Please God tell me that (6) is columbus OH and not columbus GA!!!!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

beamrider posted:

Please God tell me that (6) is columbus OH and not columbus GA!!!!
It's Ohio. But it's just 3G upgrades so don't get all excited just yet. (no SMR850, no LTE)

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

td4guy posted:

It's Ohio. But it's just 3G upgrades so don't get all excited just yet. (no SMR850, no LTE)

Fuuuuuuuuuck, by the time lte is in cbus this drat phone will be obsolete. can I at least get a reacharound here sprint?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Voids your contract.
So the Sprint rep is telling me that regardless of any contract change regarding WiMax, it does not constitute a "get out of jail free" card regarding ETF. Is this the case, or has anyone been able to use this change to jump ship?

EDIT: Apparently this only works if you are in an area that is immediately slated for 4G shutdown. Oh well. Paying the $300 ETF and going to Ting still winds up being cheaper for me in the long run.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2013

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

beamrider posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck, by the time lte is in cbus this drat phone will be obsolete. can I at least get a reacharound here sprint?

I'm in the same boat. Makes me glad my 4s doesn't have LTE.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm thinking about rooting my E4GT - if I do, and decide I want to revert to the factory default (or if I sell the phone later) can I just do a restore, or do I have to flash with another kernel?

Also, once the phone is rooted, do I then install a custom kernel, or is that part of the rooting process?

Finally, can I expect to see a performance boost/increased battery life after rooting/custom kernel? This is of concern to me because the whole point of rooting is so I can extend the life of my phone so I don't have to purchase a new one, since money is a bit tight at the moment.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Every custom kernel I've used has destroyed my battery life. Sucks balls

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Every custom kernel I've used has destroyed my battery life. Sucks balls
Hm. Well, that sucks. I was hoping to get rid of the Sprint bloatware and hopefully squeeze a few extra hours out of the battery. The latest JB update has increased battery drain a bit more. Oh well - so much for that idea.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 20, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hm. Well, that sucks. I was hoping to get rid of the Sprint bloatware and hopefully squeeze a few extra hours out of the battery. The latest JB update has increased battery drain a bit more. Oh well - so much for that idea.

You don't need a custom kernel to remove bloatware or other pre-installed apps. You just need root. Once you have root, you can remove apps pretty easily, especially with a program like Titanium backup (which will also let you freeze apps, which is like removing them, but with an easy option to restore them).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

You don't need a custom kernel to remove bloatware or other pre-installed apps. You just need root. Once you have root, you can remove apps pretty easily, especially with a program like Titanium backup (which will also let you freeze apps, which is like removing them, but with an easy option to restore them).
Oh, ok - thanks for clarifying that - obviously, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about/doing. I'll give that a shot and see how things go. Rooting won't affect the "factory restore" right? I'm guessing that the only thing root really does is give superuser rights?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The jellybean battery life issue is almost universally caused by the addition of the Google search bar and Google Now. I installed better battery stats after the update on both my note 10.1 and epic 4g and saw that those (that) were killing it with partial wake locks. Rooted and disabled both and battery life jumped back up. Sad, because I really liked Google Now.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, ok - thanks for clarifying that - obviously, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about/doing. I'll give that a shot and see how things go. Rooting won't affect the "factory restore" right? I'm guessing that the only thing root really does is give superuser rights?

That is correct.

edit: Once you have root, it typically becomes easier to do things like install a custom recovery which will in turn allow you to flash different roms and kernels. But that is different on various phones and I don't know anything about your particular device.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Jesus christ folks.

1. Rooting and killing stock apps isn't going to fix your battery life problems.

2. Yes of course rooting will gently caress up "Factory data reset.

3. If you want to restore your device to a pre-rooted state, you need to Odin up a stock .tar. This first involves finding a stock tar that hasn't been adultered by xda. Good luck on that one.

4. If you're really certain that Google Search or Google Now is the cause of your problems, "Clear data" on them and don't use them. If that does't work, "Disable" them. Repeat for any other stock app causing you grief. You don't need to be rooted to do ths.

5. Rooting an E4GT requires an exploit or, at least temporarilly flashing a custom kernel (generally preferred). This is because the boot kernel and recovery are inexplicably tied together on this model.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
is it commonly accepted that the S4 is the best sprint phone offering right now and the next couple of months?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

4. If you're really certain that Google Search or Google Now is the cause of your problems, "Clear data" on them and don't use them. If that does't work, "Disable" them. Repeat for any other stock app causing you grief. You don't need to be rooted to do ths.

This is impossible on many stock devices, as the search bar cannot be removed on them. You also cannot disable them, only "remove updates" and return the ago to a prior version. You need root to disable them properly. Even if you turn location services off, the apps keep killing the battery with partial wakelocks. I have seen it many times on many different phones and three tablets.

But continue acting like an rear end if you want to. I'm just trying to help people.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

demonachizer posted:

is it commonly accepted that the S4 is the best sprint phone offering right now and the next couple of months?

It's pretty much a tie between the One and the S4. I went with the One and haven't looked back.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Jesus christ folks.

1. Rooting and killing stock apps isn't going to fix your battery life problems.

3. If you want to restore your device to a pre-rooted state, you need to Odin up a stock .tar. This first involves finding a stock tar that hasn't been adultered by xda. Good luck on that one.

5. Rooting an E4GT requires an exploit or, at least temporarilly flashing a custom kernel (generally preferred). This is because the boot kernel and recovery are inexplicably tied together on this model.

Woah - settle down. Not everyone (me) is at your level of expertise.

1. Why? If I have a shitload of crappy Sprint apps hanging in the background, how is removing them not going to help my battery life? Please explain.
2. Again, why? If all it is doing is granting root privileges, how does it affect the factory image in (I am assuming) a protected partition? I ask this because if I apply a factory reset to my phone now, I drop back to the original Android build of my phone.
3. Good info to know. No questions.
4. Again, good info. Though I don't have problems with specific apps, just the fact that I have a slew waiting in the background.
5. That blows. I was watching a root instruction video and there was no mention of any weirdness like that.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

datajosh posted:

Network Vision update:

West Iowa/Nebraska (3),

Mother of god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Jesus christ folks.

I didn't mean to imply that rooting and killing stock apps would help battery life. I was responding to his question about removing sprint bloatware.

Also, I referring to factory reset as the process of clearing all user data. I did not mean to imply that doing a reset will unroot your phone because it won't in any situation that I know of.

I didn't know it takes sacrificing a goat to root a E4GT. Every phone I have had was rootable using a "one-click" app or tool kit and was pretty easy.