Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Cream_Filling posted:

IRL a lot of french people speak english with english accents because, due to proximity, they usually end up learning english from english people. And it's because Patrick Stewart was english.

They speak French with English accents to make their speech easier to understand, not because they picked it up accidentally from learning from an English person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

cloudchamber posted:

They speak French with English accents to make their speech easier to understand, not because they picked it up accidentally from learning from an English person.

Who are 'they' exactly? Last I checked, in real life ("IRL") French people mostly speak French with French accents. The French people I know who speak English without a strong French accent seem to tend slightly towards using British English pronunciation. I'm only speculating on the pedagogy explanation, it may well be that there is some feature that makes British English easier for a native French speaker to pronounce properly compared to American English.

OXBALLS DOT COM has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Jun 5, 2013

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
The real answer: because all voices in Star Trek are interpreted by a Universal Translator implanted in everyone's ears, so what you're hearing is the device's interpretation of that person's voice.

So blame lovely programmers in the future who can't emulate French accents.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
"And this is my universal translator. Unfortunately, so far it only translates into an incomprehensible dead language."
"Hello."
"BONJOUR!"
"Crazy gibberish"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I assumed that the UK at one point decided to reinvade France, and then took over its culture.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Cream_Filling posted:

In 1960s America I don't think there was a single Indian actor in all of Hollywood, let alone one able to carry a leading-man role.

The closest you'd get would probably be Ben Kingsley (who is only half Indian, and was in his 20s then) or Omar Sharif (who is Lebanese, but could certainly carry the role)

Or you could always get Peter Sellers in brownface

And by the time of The Next Generation (presumably the original Star Trek as well), French is an obscure language no one speaks anymore. Jean-Luc Picard calls his mother "maman" and his brother owns a vineyard and is cranky but that's about all that's left of French culture it seems.

I was irrationally irritated by all the changes they made to Khan's character, though, because Khan was frozen in 1998, well before the timelines diverged in the 2009 movie -- so he should have been exactly the same dude who got defrosted in Space Seed.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Jun 5, 2013

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Sagebrush posted:

And by the time of The Next Generation (presumably the original Star Trek as well), French is an obscure language no one speaks anymore. Jean-Luc Picard calls his mother "maman" and his brother owns a vineyard and is cranky but that's about all that's left of French culture it seems.

La Forge uses a handful of French words in the first season, too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kind Milkman posted:

La Forge uses a handful of French words in the first season, too.

Picard exclaims "merde" when he learned that Geordi programmed the holodeck to make an opponent capable of defeating Data in a battle of wits resulting in a sentient Moriarty that takes control of the ship.
:goonsay:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Worf: Its the Borg.
Picard: zut alors!
(drops baguette)

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Jedit posted:

Cumberbatch also wasn't the first choice for the role. Benicio del Toronto was.

And several other Latino people, Cumberbatch was basically them settling. He's probably a better actor than the others, though.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

duggimon posted:

Casting Ricardo Montalban as an Indian isn't any more racially sensitive than using the whitest man on the planet unless you really think the only races are white and ethnic.

Going to squash this right now: Khan isn't purely Indian. He's genetically engineered using the best traits of all races in humanity, which makes him globally interracial. The closest ethnicity to have ever been that was ancient Egyptians, but either way the character's biological origin points to him simply being not totally white and not totally non-white. It's not at all inappropriate to cast a Mexican in that role, as a majority of Mexicans are some mix of white Spaniard and brown Native.

In the case of Into Darkness, the offense isn't that they appropriated Indian culture for a white dude, but rather the implication that the perfectly engineered super human could only possibly be believable as a white man. Personally, I just figured with how he behaved in the movie, and since only old Spock ever used his full name (after not seeing him), Benedict Cumberbatch's character was not the Khan we were previously familiar with. That guy is still floating around in space somewhere. This is some other dude with a similar origin who also goes by Khan (which is actually a pretty common name).

There's a lot more to be said about whitewashing characters and roles and why it's a huge problem, but that derail can and will go on forever. I haven't been to CineD in awhile, but they used to have an umbrella thread for Hollywood racism to keep those debates out of the other threads every time it inevitably came up.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

bamhand posted:

Casting a Japanese actor as a Chinese character?

I'll risk being a poo poo poster in order to point out that both Japanese and Chinese moviegoers got PISSED over Memoirs of a Geisha. Japanese viewers were mad that a film set in Japan used Chinese leads while Chinese audiences were furious that Chinese actors would willingly star in a movie that cast WWII era Japan in a positive light. So, race relations in Hollywood casting are often the source of complicated problems and due to the diversity of ethnic groups it affects it's hard to find a single right answer. For instance, I don't think that the Apache would get up in arms if you cast a Umatilla as Geronimo. However, if you cast a Brazillian or Italian they would take issue. And in the above example, tricky issues can arise if you cast a Korean in the wrong Japanese role.

vvvv You are actually completely right about this and I apologize for omitting it. I was merely speaking about how it's a complex issue and that we'll never have a robot that can designate something to be universally acceptable or unacceptable. vvvvvv

Razorwired has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Jun 6, 2013

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The producers and director of Memoirs said pretty early on though that they held open casting for Japanese actresses and almost none showed up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the movie Premium Rush the other day and while I mostly enjoyed it I was kind of bothered by the end. Mostly in how the Chinese gangsters kill Michael Shannon's character. It just seemed a disproportionate punishment for how much of a bad guy his character was. I mean, in terms of bad movie cops he was pretty far down the ladder considering he only kills one person in the entire movie and that was an accident. He actually uses surprisingly little physical violence throughout, only physically threatening one character, while the rest of the time he tries to get the ticket through guile. Maybe I'm just bothered by it because his character comes across as kind of likeable while JGL's character is kind of a dick.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Godzilla (1998)
There's a ton of stuff wrong with this movie, but the biggest offender is when the scientist guy tries to find out if the monster is pregnant for some reason. He is shown swirling around yellow liquid and dropping it out onto a pregnancy test, but lizards can't pee. I know Godzilla is a 500-ton atomic monster, but it was once a marine iguana and they excrete solid nitrogenous waste because having it in liquid form would kill whatever is in the eggs. I mean, the guy is a scientist with the military, he could've gotten a blood test done, but no. We're too stupid to understand that the hormones are also in blood, so we get lizard piss

Predator
Why do all of the black people look like they've been covered in crisco? I don't believe that it's supposed to be sweat because sweat behaves like water and flows, it doesn't just make you look like a glazed ham

This Means War
Creepiness aside, airbags have been designed to not impede a driver as little as possible if they go off accidentally, so go ahead and ruin the guy's headlights, he won't give a gently caress

Moonrise Kingdom
When he's being chased through the field and gets struck by lightning, where did everyone go? Did all 200 or so kids chasing him just leave him in a life threatening situation long enough for his friends, who had no idea where he was, to find him? Boy scouts are dicks

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

muscles like this? posted:

I watched the movie Premium Rush the other day and while I mostly enjoyed it I was kind of bothered by the end. Mostly in how the Chinese gangsters kill Michael Shannon's character. It just seemed a disproportionate punishment for how much of a bad guy his character was. I mean, in terms of bad movie cops he was pretty far down the ladder considering he only kills one person in the entire movie and that was an accident. He actually uses surprisingly little physical violence throughout, only physically threatening one character, while the rest of the time he tries to get the ticket through guile. Maybe I'm just bothered by it because his character comes across as kind of likeable while JGL's character is kind of a dick.

Because he messed with gangsters. That's generally a bad choice.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Predator
Why do all of the black people look like they've been covered in crisco? I don't believe that it's supposed to be sweat because sweat behaves like water and flows, it doesn't just make you look like a glazed ham

Come on, dude. In 80's action, everyone is slathered in body oil. That's what the genre was all about. Please see this article for further reading.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

The Door Frame posted:

Moonrise Kingdom
When he's being chased through the field and gets struck by lightning, where did everyone go? Did all 200 or so kids chasing him just leave him in a life threatening situation long enough for his friends, who had no idea where he was, to find him? Boy scouts are dicks

I always took that to signify that he died when the lightning struck him, and everything that happened afterwards (which was generally more fantastic and happy-ending-conducive) was a dying dream.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
TREK

Photon torpedos still had their space blasting caps but no TNT, ya ken? The major explosive substance/fuel were removed to make room for the cryo-tubes, but the small charge/ ignition device was integral to the torpedo, possibly integrated into the propulsion system. This is why there was anything left to crash after an internal photon torpedo explosion. And possibly Bones only armed one of them, that may have been enough to crash a ship without destroying it. It was pretty well intact when it crashed.

Interesting idea that Khan may not have been the same Khan. They never actually mentioned the Botany Bay by name.

The almost shot-for-shot reversal of ST:2 into JJT:2 whith Kirk dying was pretty ballsy and badass even if the tribble/khanblood was telegraphed. Telegraphing is better then Deus Ex Machina, though.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I can deal with all of the hilarious stuff in Fast and Furious 6 because, hey, I'm not really there for the plot. But the one part that irrationally irked me was about 30 seconds after they first introduce Shaw. He chats with the guy wearing the police wire, then hands him a bag that he says contains his share of the money. Then he hops into his le mans car and drives off. The wired guy opens the bag and *gasp* there's a bomb. Nestled in about 10,000 Euros.

Why waste the money?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe that way at least he wasn't lying about the cash? v:shobon:v

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Patattack posted:

I always took that to signify that he died when the lightning struck him, and everything that happened afterwards (which was generally more fantastic and happy-ending-conducive) was a dying dream.

You kinda just ruined that movie for me. It was adorable and uplifting, but now.....

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CJacobs posted:

Maybe that way at least he wasn't lying about the cash? v:shobon:v

Honor among thieves?

haakman
May 5, 2011

LeJackal posted:

Triple Shot:

Total Recall, which was a shitpile for lots of rational reasons, and Star Trek Into Darkness both suffered from some kind of lovely visual design choice where LENS FLARES!!! and weird as gently caress LIGHT BARS! are constantly making GBS threads all across the screen. At some points those strange glare bars covered entire blocks of screen and literally prevented me from seeing anything which was happening in the goddamn movie. Not just at like explosion and laser parts, either, but when people were expositioning in god-drat offices. I felt like there was a highway with oncoming traffic running just behind the screen. What happened?

Those lightbars are anamorphic lens flares. As far as I am aware they were digitally included in the films, as in the wild they only appear as an artifact in lovely old quality film. All style no substance and all that.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

The Door Frame posted:

You kinda just ruined that movie for me. It was adorable and uplifting, but now.....

Hey, it if makes you feel any better, I took the final scene to mean that the WHOLE movie had been in the girl's imagination, just like all of the adventure books she had been reading. (Moonrise Kingdom)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Towards the end of End of Watch: Why the gently caress don't these two cops, who have been doing excellent the entire movie, grab the bad guys full auto AK's as they run right by. Up to this point the movie has been very realistic but this took me right out of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

haakman posted:

Those lightbars are anamorphic lens flares. As far as I am aware they were digitally included in the films, as in the wild they only appear as an artifact in lovely old quality film. All style no substance and all that.

JJ Abrams said they were to represent "the brightness of the future." Yearp.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

He said in an interview for Super 8 that tried rein himself in with using it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-1DqrgGZiM&t=6m55s

Terminal Entropy has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Jun 21, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well he didn't do a very good job of it!

edit: there is a huge lens flare behind him on the poster in that interview.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently Apple designed the future. Nothing but white sterility and lens flares everywhere.

Again, there were giant light bars in loving offices during exposition with nothing happening but TALKING. INSIDE A ROOM. SITTING STILL. Such bullshit.

That line is true for a lot of his movies, for some reason.

Gun Metal Grey
Jul 30, 2006

Inspired by true events on movie screens.

Elendil004 posted:

Towards the end of End of Watch: Why the gently caress don't these two cops, who have been doing excellent the entire movie, grab the bad guys full auto AK's as they run right by. Up to this point the movie has been very realistic but this took me right out of it.

I said the exact same thing at that scene.

My other issue with really how everything played out towards the end in that movie was after countless life saves, property saves, huge drug and weapons busts, and literally getting MEDALS OF VALOR, they'd have been moved out of that neighborhood/patrol altogether a long time ago.

In fact, after that one other cop's warning that the LAPD is "just waiting to come up and gently caress you from behind" , I thought for sure that was the direction they were headed in. I could see something with the guys trying to fight to stay together on their "beat" but ultimately being separated and sent elsewhere because of their effectiveness. Though I guess that wouldn't have fit with the wild west style of everything else they do.

Its just I spent the second half of the film just yelling THEY WOULDN'T BE THERE ANYMORE! at the screen.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Something that's bothered me in a lot of recent movies, The Purge and Olympus Has Fallen especially, is the use of GGI gunshot wounds and such. It's just one of those things that looks terrible in almost every instance I've seen it used. Compare this to the gunshot effects in stuff like Die Hard or RoboCop, the difference is night and day.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I get frustrated by British characters using the word college instead University. I've never heard anyone over here call it college (that's our High School I believe), though maybe it's a regional thing? It just comes across as trying to appeal to a US audience, but it doesn't sound right!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you guys have colleges within your universities or do they have a different name too?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bamhand posted:

Do you guys have colleges within your universities or do they have a different name too?

Only Oxford and Cambridge have colleges that I know of. We do have colleges in the UK, but they're mainly for technical studies and they don't offer degrees.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

bamhand posted:

Oxford and Cambridge are divided into "colleges" which are part of their respective universities and not much more than jumped up halls of residence/dormitories. They still get their own teams on University Challenge though :argh:

"College" in the UK usually refers to the two years of education between ages 16-18, also known as "Sixth form".

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Something that's bothered me in a lot of recent movies, The Purge and Olympus Has Fallen especially, is the use of GGI gunshot wounds and such. It's just one of those things that looks terrible in almost every instance I've seen it used. Compare this to the gunshot effects in stuff like Die Hard or RoboCop, the difference is night and day.

CGI effects for things we've been able to do for decades very well in movies always bothers me. Gunshots is a prime example, but there are tons of effects in movies that we did quite well and pretty easily for many years, suddenly replaced by a program that makes it look bad. Crowds of people, animals, plants, the sky. Well blended CGI and real stuff can look great, but a lot of CGI stuff just looks off, especially when it's 99% of what you see. The new Star Wars movies were shot almost entirely in front of green screens, and it shows.

I can't imagine that it's a matter of either money or ability. Movies with pretty small budgets did better effects many years ago, and even relatively small groups were willing to create companies specifically to do effects for single movies. A big budget movie has to go with CGI? It seems to me like laziness.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

When a CGI gunshot wound is done well, you don't notice that it's CGI.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Here's sort of a dumb (irrational) one. Movies never deal with traffic, not being able to find a parking space, dead cell phones, a late bus, not being able to find WiFi or hail a cab, having UPS gently caress up a delivery, dealing with a storm, having a paid bill come up as unpaid and all sorts of poo poo like that unless it's directly relevant to the plot. Which I sort of understand because watching a dude looking for a parking spot would probably be pretty boring but, conversely, watching cops and criminals breeze through L.A. traffic, always finding a parking spot in downtown Manhattan or ever having their phones not work doesn't reflect reality and affects my suspension of disbelief on occasion.

I know it's irrational because all of those things would be dull to watch on screen and that's why I'm posting it here, but it would be cool to see a movie that deals with these things directly as a part of every day life (Office Space and After Hours come to mind) even if it's not directly related to a specific plot point.

In movies, technology always works, parking is always available, bills are always paid and the cops can always rope off entire city blocks at a moments notice - unless they can't (Heat, The Dark Knight Rises).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

...of SCIENCE! posted:

When a CGI gunshot wound is done well, you don't notice that it's CGI.

Blood squibs often have more punch because the actors all react to them, especially the person getting "shot," because they're loud as hell and can be physically punishing if you're the one wearing them. Same with fake gunshots. Though I'd say that people shooting blanks is still pretty different looking from live ammunition due to recoil, etc.

The same goes for most other green screen stuff - it makes things a lot harder for actors and often that shows in a much worse performance (maybe Star Wars counts here, though it might just be Lucas's poor directing). Also because doing good CGI isn't that much cheaper than practical effects.

• Locked thread