Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

strikehold posted:

Coffee Wheat sounds very interesting. I didn't actually know that was a thing.

In homebrewing... Everything is a thing (unfortunately?).

@ Cider Chat. Always use nutrient with apple juice or your house will smell like sulfur farts all primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
drat i should go get some at my LHBS, but fermentation is picking up with some airlock activity.
is there a problem with adding it after the fact?

since I have 5 1gal carboys to play with, im taking a gallon or 2 to try some hopped cider.. any reccomendations on hops that wont impart TOO much bitterness dry hopping? Im just browsing descriptions online,but i would love advice on one (that i can get easily from northern brewer, etc)

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 21, 2013

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

In homebrewing... Everything is a thing (unfortunately?).

At my last homebrew competition someone entered a hotdog beer. It had like 40 hotdogs in the mash and boil and was dry hotdogged with a bunch more.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

At my last homebrew competition someone entered a hotdog beer. It had like 40 hotdogs in the mash and boil and was dry hotdogged with a bunch more.

I wonder how long untill someone is going to go full goony and do a bacon (or dorito) beer...... :shepface:

:barf:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 21, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
There is a bacon maple beer in my local area

http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

This is ridiculously :barf: and yet I love hot dogs so much, how could I resist a taste? Wouldn't the microbials found in hot dog meat be really, really not good for a sterile environment?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I got a question as I've spent hours hunting and hunting, does anyone know what I should be looking for or where I could get a 1 inch to 1/2 inch tubing adapter? Badly need one but can't seem to find anything close. :(

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I attempted a one gallon bacon chocolate stout to shut up some non-brewing friends. I couldn't figure out a good way to deal with the fat. I baked it on a raised tray to separate as much fat as possible, then dry-hopped with the bacon, but it still ended with a fatty layer on the top and in the bottles. It tastes...weird, not too enjoyable, and I'm sure the fat in the remaining bottles have gone rancid by now. The other problem is that most of that "bacon flavor" is in the fat that you're not using, and when your cooking, all that delicious bacon aromatic is flavor being lost due to its volatility.

But yea, if you can think of it...someone has tried to homebrew it. Off the top of my head the homebrewtalk forums had brewing with human cremains and several other recipes that suggested questionable mental stability of the brewer.

:Edit: Forgot about the voodoo maple donut beer, it's actually pretty good. Not sure how they get the bacon taste in there.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 21, 2013

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Fluo posted:

I wonder how long untill someone is going to go full goony and do a bacon (or dorito) beer...... :shepface:

I haven't seen a dorito beer but there is a bacon beer at every other homebrew meeting/event I attend. Some of them just go for the flavor, some use either a bacon tinciture or put it in the mash. Just make a rauch for your bacon beer needs.

I think the worst I had was a salad beer made with tomatoes, lettuce and who knows what else. It tasted like a vinaigrette mixed with alcohol.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Roundboy posted:

drat i should go get some at my LHBS, but fermentation is picking up with some airlock activity.
is there a problem with adding it after the fact?

since I have 5 1gal carboys to play with, im taking a gallon or 2 to try some hopped cider.. any reccomendations on hops that wont impart TOO much bitterness dry hopping?

Dry hopping won't impart any bitterness, so just go with whatever you like. The best choices for dry hopping will be high oil aroma hops a la Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial, Citra, etc.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I attempted a one gallon bacon chocolate stout to shut up some non-brewing friends. I couldn't figure out a good way to deal with the fat. I baked it on a raised tray to separate as much fat as possible, then dry-hopped with the bacon, but it still ended with a fatty layer on the top and in the bottles. It tastes...weird, not too enjoyable, and I'm sure the fat in the remaining bottles have gone rancid by now. The other problem is that most of that "bacon flavor" is in the fat that you're not using, and when your cooking, all that delicious bacon aromatic is flavor being lost due to its volatility.

The answer is fat washing. You could use vodka if you were going for a more straight bacon flavor, but I would probably go with bourbon if I were attempting this myself.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Think I found one. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16410/62761. I think the best bet would be to make some kind of mega bacon extract, and then siphon it into another container, leaving the floating fat scum behind.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Fluo posted:

I got a question as I've spent hours hunting and hunting, does anyone know what I should be looking for or where I could get a 1 inch to 1/2 inch tubing adapter? Badly need one but can't seem to find anything close. :(

A hose barb reducer (or reducer coupler may be the other common term) that large that steps down that much might be hard to find in one piece in any material you'd want to use. You could probably more easily find 1" to 3/4" and 3/4" to 1/2" reducers with barbs on both sides (brass and CPVC anyway, no idea about stainless) and put a short piece of 3/4" ID in between. And there are barbed reducers/adapters with male pipe threads on the intermediate sides and then you'd use a female coupling to join them. I think larger adapters with hose barbs are pretty commonly used for hot tubs and garden ponds if that helps.

Here's one for example but can't tell if it's PVC or CPVC or what
http://www.thepondguy.com/product/576?CA_6C15C=730009880000005113

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
The real best way to create a bacon beer is to use hickory smoked malt. Leave the actual bacon out of it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Lambic Mead Update The bottom bubble doubled in size overnight. Sorry for the bad photography. Im standing on my toes leaning, and holding the camera with a flashlight in the other hand. I had to rely on Autofocus which can be exceptionally wonky. Enjoy!
Looks awesome! :science:

Fluo posted:

Well, Funky Buddha makes and amazing maple bacon coffee porter, among a few other breweries who can pull it off. Either Evil Twin or Stillwater had a beer aged on iberico prosciutto that was also surprisingly excellent. I don't know of anything that specifically had a bunch of MSG in it though.

nesbit37 posted:

I think the worst I had was a salad beer made with tomatoes, lettuce and who knows what else. It tasted like a vinaigrette mixed with alcohol.
Leave it to Shorts: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/shorts-bloody-beer/75746/

Bloody Beer isn't bad per se, but it fails at pretty much everything I'd want from a beer.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Roundboy posted:

Have you given any consideration to moving

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Rouge makes good beer :/

Just because something is sold doesn't mean you have to buy it !

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Well I was moving my carboy with the Lambic mead in it so I could get better photos in the future, and the big bottom bubble burst. I was pretty sad; but it had a good life. Then 2 hours later 12 tiny bubbles, which turned into 3 bigger bubbles and a waxy coating starting to spread out from the epicenter of the bubbles.

I know that's pretty small news in the sour / pellicle world; But it's my first and I'm excited!

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

:negative:

Speaking of Rogue's stuff - does anybody else have a recommendation for hazelnut beers or a good extract brew for a hazelnut ale?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Myron Baloney posted:

A hose barb reducer (or reducer coupler may be the other common term) that large that steps down that much might be hard to find in one piece in any material you'd want to use. You could probably more easily find 1" to 3/4" and 3/4" to 1/2" reducers with barbs on both sides (brass and CPVC anyway, no idea about stainless) and put a short piece of 3/4" ID in between. And there are barbed reducers/adapters with male pipe threads on the intermediate sides and then you'd use a female coupling to join them. I think larger adapters with hose barbs are pretty commonly used for hot tubs and garden ponds if that helps.

Here's one for example but can't tell if it's PVC or CPVC or what
http://www.thepondguy.com/product/576?CA_6C15C=730009880000005113

Oh man, big thanks you're a life saver! Seriously the taps I have to be using now are loving weird (apart from being British :rimshot:) is curved so couldn't use my tube/tap adapter on it and its abit too big to just put the 1/2" tubing for my wort chiller on it. Thanks mate! :D

Roundboy posted:

"Free range costal water" - Most stupid thing I've came across in a long time that was labelled free range lol. :(

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 21, 2013

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I grew up in Oregon and once a bunch of kids spray painted "Rouge Ales" all over our high school. It was a teachable moment.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

strikehold posted:

:negative:

Speaking of Rogue's stuff - does anybody else have a recommendation for hazelnut beers or a good extract brew for a hazelnut ale?

Dogfish Head used wattleseed in Urkontinent, it adds a hazelnut/chocolate flavor.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Midorka posted:

Dogfish Head used wattleseed in Urkontinent, it adds a hazelnut/chocolate flavor.

I will check that out this weekend if I can find some, thanks!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I worked a beer fest recently and the table next to mine was pouring the pink Rogue Bacon Maple Donut or whatever it is. 100% of all customers absolutely hated it. I find it repulsive, but I do have a few friends who really dig it so v:shobon:v

dry hotdogged

I don't know if it's because i'm deliriously tired or what but I laughed like an idiot at this phrase :downs:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Well I was moving my carboy with the Lambic mead in it so I could get better photos in the future, and the big bottom bubble burst. I was pretty sad; but it had a good life. Then 2 hours later 12 tiny bubbles, which turned into 3 bigger bubbles and a waxy coating starting to spread out from the epicenter of the bubbles.

I know that's pretty small news in the sour / pellicle world; But it's my first and I'm excited!

That is exciting hehe.
I am collecting dregs and combining them into one big amalgamation. I have 2 bottles worth of LC#3, a few saisons' with brett, and a JP beer in there hahaha. Now just to decide what to pitch them into...

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

That is exciting hehe.
I am collecting dregs and combining them into one big amalgamation. I have 2 bottles worth of LC#3, a few saisons' with brett, and a JP beer in there hahaha. Now just to decide what to pitch them into...

That's kind of what the Wyeast Lambic blend is. 2 bretts a lacto and a pedio strain. But I might end up pitching more sour dregs into one of the Gallons, Maybe the G1 since it doesn't have a pellicle and its pissing me off.

I just got done looking at the pellicle photo thread on home-brew-talk; it was a fun ride. I was sitting with the Ipad in bed scrolling through photos of bacteria supercultures and my fiance goes "You have a problem" Quit looking at that stuff its gross. I had to show her the "nastiest" ones because I can't have her doing me any favors by dumping out a batch that went bad. So anyways, this morning I was like

Me: "hey, remember all those nasty infection photos I showed you?"
"yeah"
Me: "well look at this! *shines flashlight at a pellicle in the closet*
"Dave that's gross"
Me: "no its beautiful"

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Tehehehe. Only way that exchange could have gotten better is if you said something to the effect of "No, its beautiful...just like my fiance!"
I just moved in with my gf, I don't think she realizes how deep the homebrewing rabbit hole goes!

What was your base beer for brew? Didja ferment with that wyeast pack or add it in secondary? Now begins my research haha.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Tehehehe. Only way that exchange could have gotten better is if you said something to the effect of "No, its beautiful...just like my fiance!"
I just moved in with my gf, I don't think she realizes how deep the homebrewing rabbit hole goes!

What was your base beer for brew? Didja ferment with that wyeast pack or add it in secondary? Now begins my research haha.

Well mine is a full on Lambic Mead, let me dig up the recipe... It was a straight ferment with the Wyeast Blend (the lag time was 7 days or so).

Units for 1 gallon:
Around 1.7 pounds of Honey (I used Orange Blossom)
Yeast : WYeast Lambic Blend: Smacked 3 hours before beginning brewing

After fermentation visibly started, I added 3 oak chips to each for a little home base for the bacteria (per some sour pros on HBT) as well as 1/5 pound of maltodextrin for bacteria food the regular yeast cant get to.

Edit: the pellicle is just starting to rear its head at 38 days. 300 Days to GO! (I'm going to have a bomber of it at my wedding).

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 21, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh mead, interesting, I missed that though.

Does doing a primary with the degs (probably like a half or smaller batch) help it develop more quickly? Or should I just do a base ale then pitch after primary?

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

fullroundaction posted:

@Bobsledboy recipe looks good! I've never used that particular yeast but I use the regular Belgian strong all the time and I like to under pitch a bit to get more of the fruity flavor, but if you want it to be a bit cleaner like Duvel I'd say just slam it on top of the whole cake.

Thanks! I think I'll pitch the full cake and maybe try and stress it a bit more if I do another batch.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh mead, interesting, I missed that though.

Does doing a primary with the degs (probably like a half or smaller batch) help it develop more quickly? Or should I just do a base ale then pitch after primary?

The majority of the food that bacteria eats is spent yeast and the more complex sugars that yeast cant eat. If the yeast can get to it, theres very little time for bacteria to get it before or after a regular pitch. If you're pitching from all dregs I think you need to build up a big starter or have a lot of dregs.

From Mad fermentationist "To harvest the bugs, let the bottle sit upright for a couple of weeks to allow most of the cells to collect at the bottom. Pour off the beer into a glass with a single slow pour, leaving a half inch or so of beer. If you have a batch ready, swirl the remaining beer and pour the dregs directly into the wort/beer (in general I like to add the dregs along with the primary yeast strain at the start). If you don't have a beer ready, prepare a cup of starter wort to pitch the dregs into (if you can convince a few friends to bring over a bottle or two of sour beer to share to add more dregs to the starter all the better.)"

full article here http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Man, I gotta do this with a bunch of Jolly Pumpkin Oro...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
When in doubt, just re-read The Mad Fermentationist.

I may do this as my next batch after this weekend. Something super simple like maris otter LME, some wheat dme, and a bit of caramel malt + us-05 and dregs. Then ignore for months and months.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I've also read that people don't even secondary; even when its at the one year mark. This is because the Brett utilizes the yeast before any autolysis would be an issue.

Edit: I'm sure some folks do secondary also. I won't be doing one since its all yeast and theres no grain to worry about. I'll be pitching a second generation right after bottling. Right onto the cake, for many generations; to note on what strange funky things lay down the road.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My sour cake was 5 generations in and about 4 inches thick when I finally dumped it. I miss you buddy :smith:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

My sour cake was 5 generations in and about 4 inches thick when I finally dumped it. I miss you buddy :smith:

I've got some 6-8 oz single serve farm apple cider containers, that I think I'll save from if it gets too thick down there, and re-pitch from those. I payed 15 bucks for that yeast bug mix and I plan on getting my moneys worth.

Edit: And since mead doesn't have any trub I don't have to worry about washing, Its all yeasty goods!

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

hellfaucet posted:

Man, I gotta do this with a bunch of Jolly Pumpkin Oro...

Just threw some dregs of Madrugada Obscura into a dark saison a month ago. So excited!

On another note, I finally took the FG of my regular saison (OG 1.052) that I used the White Labs 565 (Classic Dupont) strain in. I had heard the horror stories of it stalling at 1.015 and never going down, but after some time in a couple of warm rooms, the measured FG was 1.002. I am going to save this strain for awhile. Unfortunately, no kegs are empty.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Welp finally ordered my keg. Huzzah.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

ScaerCroe posted:

Just threw some dregs of Madrugada Obscura into a dark saison a month ago. So excited!

Depending on the freshness, those dregs are great. I've got a clone that's been dregs only for the past year and it tastes wonderful. It's tart and roasty and I can't wait to bottle it. I only wish that Dark Dawn wasn't a seasonal release because everyone here can't seem to get enough of it. Their dregs are wonderful.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
So have had my first homebrew fermenting away for three weeks and am up to bottling. I've just realised that what I thought was priming sugar that I bought turned out to be Beer Enhancer (Spray Dried Malt Extract Dextrose). Can I use this as a replacement for sugar for priming my bottles, or will I need to head out and buy something else? Is there anything suitable (that's not poo poo) that would be readily available from the supermarket I could use if needed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

sc0tty posted:

Is there anything suitable (that's not poo poo) that would be readily available from the supermarket I could use if needed?
You can use this calculator http://www.homebrewing.com/calculators/?page=tools&section=sugar to work out how much to prime your batch with. I normally just use table/baking sugar from the supermarket.