Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In true d&d 4th edition Warlord, a warrior heals by yelling at people.

"GET UP YOU MAGGOT! YOU CALL THAT DISMEMBERMENT?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Nah man. The next area they will release is water themed, dreams and nightmare poo poo.

That warrior is going to spit on you to heal you.

Make it rain.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hugoon Chavez posted:

In true d&d 4th edition Warlord, a warrior heals by yelling at people.

"GET UP YOU MAGGOT! YOU CALL THAT DISMEMBERMENT?"

I am really, really hoping that's the case.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Checking Rift out again now that it's f2p. Signing in to the new server as Corpulence!

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
Sorry if this has been covered recently, but I've just updated my client and tried to log in and it says I have to transfer off the server I'm on as it's for trials only. Ok, fine, except it then gives an error saying I'm coin locked, but I don't see where I would enter the code (no flashing coin icon like I think I remember seeing before), and I also have no email about the code. Did the system for this change significantly?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Transferred to Threesprings. Can I get an invite for Yeera?

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Globofglob posted:

How do you even 69 in a video game?

From questing yesterday and being dumb enough to leave the 1-29 chat on, I can tell you that Bloodytampon is basically this game's equivalent of a trade chat troll. Occasionally funny, mostly weird.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?

Plate posted:

Sorry if this has been covered recently, but I've just updated my client and tried to log in and it says I have to transfer off the server I'm on as it's for trials only. Ok, fine, except it then gives an error saying I'm coin locked, but I don't see where I would enter the code (no flashing coin icon like I think I remember seeing before), and I also have no email about the code. Did the system for this change significantly?

The code gets sent to the email that your account is registered to

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

First off apologies if this has been asked multiple times. I remember reading about Rift when it first came out and was interested in it but didn't want to commit to another MMO. I'm starting to get the MMO itch again and for once am going to resist going back to WoW and purchasing the latest expansion only to get bored after two months and quit.

Seems like the Rift F2P model is really really good, but after playing a few different MMOs over the years me and the wife find we don't have time or the inclination to do the whole raiding or guild thing anymore (We're still ashamed at the many many Friday and Saturday nights we spend raiding until 2am). Is Rift a fun experience for two people to play through together? Is there stuff we could do together at max level other than raiding and whatever the equivalent of heroic dungeons are?

I don't know if the community is much different to WoW, but we got sick of finding a group to do a instance, only to find everyone expected you to be in the best raid gear to do a basic high level dungeon, or just wanting to get through something in five minutes flat etc,

I guess I'm asking, is the game pretty casual friendly and is there enough for two people to do together or are groups at least easy to find and casual friendly for the most part?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Lord Dekks posted:

First off apologies if this has been asked multiple times. I remember reading about Rift when it first came out and was interested in it but didn't want to commit to another MMO. I'm starting to get the MMO itch again and for once am going to resist going back to WoW and purchasing the latest expansion only to get bored after two months and quit.

Seems like the Rift F2P model is really really good, but after playing a few different MMOs over the years me and the wife find we don't have time or the inclination to do the whole raiding or guild thing anymore (We're still ashamed at the many many Friday and Saturday nights we spend raiding until 2am). Is Rift a fun experience for two people to play through together? Is there stuff we could do together at max level other than raiding and whatever the equivalent of heroic dungeons are?

I don't know if the community is much different to WoW, but we got sick of finding a group to do a instance, only to find everyone expected you to be in the best raid gear to do a basic high level dungeon, or just wanting to get through something in five minutes flat etc,

I guess I'm asking, is the game pretty casual friendly and is there enough for two people to do together or are groups at least easy to find and casual friendly for the most part?

I would say that this is the perfect game for two people to fart around in and not take seriously. From 1-50, you don't have to try. It is literally "pres butan collect loot". From 50-60, you should try to nail down a solid build, but only because things hit a little harder. Some class builds have the ability to macro all of their skills into 2-3 buttons. It's great and that's how I'm leveling my Cleric.

Once you hit a certain (low) level, you can do Instant Adventures. IA's will immediately put you into a "raid" group where you travel around certain areas doing quick quests with groups of other players, usually ending with a large boss. IA's reward currency, gear, and XP. You can level all the way to 60 this way and never touch one quest if you want.

This is the perfect "casual" game, with the added bonus of pretty okay raid content at the end if you choose to partake in it. I can't really speak about the community as a whole. I turn general chat off and just chat with goons and friends. When I go into a dungeon, IA, or world event, people are often very friendly and helpful.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
There are also chronicles, which are like...a step between normal dungeons and heroics and tuned for 1 to 2 people. You get them available at 50 and then another couple at 60.

There's also the normal time sink stuff. Fishing, artifact collecting, reputations if you want to do that sort of thing.

Basically, I think Rift is the best "casual" MMO I've come across if that is how you want to approach it.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

We're only casual in terms of time and commitment willing to put in, we do tend do the whole spergy theorycrafting thing, just got sick of the time needed for raids and ultra spergy Guild leaders/players.

Duo dungeons sound fantastic so interest is definitely piqued. Thanks for the responses guys.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Goonsquad isn't too spergy from what I've seen, and every dungeon I've been in has been an AOE spam fest and they end in 5-8 minutes. It's fantastic.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Thanks for abandoning me on Seastone in a one man Goon Squad guild. Real nice. Looking for an invite as Mayonegg.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
With the changes in Rift I'm thinking about coming back. I do have a question, though: Are mounts account-bound? I have one on my old character I don't really want to give up (Nebula) but I'm not sure I don't want to start a different calling and maybe play through as a Guardian this time.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Prism posted:

With the changes in Rift I'm thinking about coming back. I do have a question, though: Are mounts account-bound? I have one on my old character I don't really want to give up (Nebula) but I'm not sure I don't want to start a different calling and maybe play through as a Guardian this time.

Some mounts are account-bound (meaning you can mail them to alts) but become soulbound to the character that uses them. Some mounts are also "one per character" if you got them from something like a collector's edition, and now the cash shop has a few that are clearly marked as being that way if purchased. Nebula, I believe, was one that was account-bound and purchased with world event currency. So if you used it, it's stuck to the character and you only got one. Good news is, if you're that stuck on that particular mount, it's available in the cash shop for credits (no idea how many, not ingame).

edit: if you played and owned rift before and were a subscriber, you'll have some amount of credits on your account. You can login to their website and see on the manage games/rift link.

edit2: 810 credits in cash shop, just over 5 bucks' worth

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 22, 2013

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
Does anyone have any suggested rogue builds? I have been toying around with something like this... http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMwhMvl0GohhsIzogbzvtcq00x0k but the those 2 classes seem to be redundant at times and some extra ranged or support type would be a lot better. I am about to hit lvl 10 and I am just trying to get around how to focus my character.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Does anyone have any suggested rogue builds? I have been toying around with something like this... http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMwhMvl0GohhsIzogbzvtcq00x0k but the those 2 classes seem to be redundant at times and some extra ranged or support type would be a lot better. I am about to hit lvl 10 and I am just trying to get around how to focus my character.

You could likely just take one of the pre-built specs all the way to 50 and be completely fine.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

get out posted:

You could likely just take one of the pre-built specs all the way to 50 and be completely fine.

I guess I was just wanted to start a build that I would be using in late game so I would be more familiar with it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

mr. nobody posted:

Some mounts are account-bound (meaning you can mail them to alts) but become soulbound to the character that uses them. Some mounts are also "one per character" if you got them from something like a collector's edition, and now the cash shop has a few that are clearly marked as being that way if purchased. Nebula, I believe, was one that was account-bound and purchased with world event currency. So if you used it, it's stuck to the character and you only got one. Good news is, if you're that stuck on that particular mount, it's available in the cash shop for credits (no idea how many, not ingame).

edit: if you played and owned rift before and were a subscriber, you'll have some amount of credits on your account. You can login to their website and see on the manage games/rift link.

edit2: 810 credits in cash shop, just over 5 bucks' worth

Yeah, it's stuck to the character, I just didn't know if they'd done the logical step of making them account-linked like in WoW. It's not 100% a dealbreaker, it was just an unusual mount that I didn't think I could replace. I definitely have at least one account-level mount because I preordered Rift ages and ages ago and have the turtle, so it's not a huge loss.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Lord Dekks posted:

We're only casual in terms of time and commitment willing to put in, we do tend do the whole spergy theorycrafting thing, just got sick of the time needed for raids and ultra spergy Guild leaders/players.

Duo dungeons sound fantastic so interest is definitely piqued. Thanks for the responses guys.

If you do want to raid there is going to be a big time investment with reputation grinds needed for enchants on multiple pieces of gear. If you don't plan on raiding there are world events, expert dungeons, artifact hunting, dimensions that you can decorate, and rifts that don't require grinding. This is also one of the better games to be a pretty princess because you have a lot of wardrobe slots, the only cost for cosmetic gear is buying the actual item you want to show (except weapons which you have to buy a transmute stone from the cash shop), dyes are relatively cheap, and you aren't stuck with just your class armor.

Unfortunately, there are only 6 chronicles. Four level 50 and two level 60.

HeySka
Jan 3, 2006

...or is it?
Looking for invites for Ratharian and Caliopea please. Looking forward to running with some goons.

Cpl. Coldone
Apr 2, 2008
Would like an invite for my alt Lucyndia. My main is Nurg.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
I have a 53 mage that I played a bit in SL before getting a bit bored. Decided to give this game another look and I heard Harb/chloro is the go to leveling spec, so I will be doing that. I try to do dungeons while leveling as well to keep from getting bored, is there a good dungeon ranged dps spec while leveling? I also remember almost nothing about the zones, but I do remember IA's are not nearly as good 50+ as they are lower level. Is there a recommended leveling path? Also, how are chloros now? I really enjoyed mage because it had great ranged dps and great healing, that is just what I look for in a character.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Need an invite on Vanestra

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I heard about this going F2P a while ago and am downloading it now. Is there anything I should know before I get started, aside from of course rolling on the Goon Server and reading through the OP?

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 22, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hunter Noventa posted:

I heard about this going F2P a while ago and am downloading it now. Is there anything I should know before I get started, aside from of course rolling on the Goon Server and reading through the OP?

Apparently there's some sort of lock on using the AH when you first make an account. Not too sure on how to disable it since I made my account way before the game went F2P.

Dropping 5 dollars when you get started for bags and a mount will save you a lot of headache if you can spare it. For four 16 slot bags and the lowest level mount you get, you'll only be spending about 200 of the 750 gems $5 gets you.

e:Alternatively you could ask in g chat if a kind soul can throw you a few plat for the mount and grab a few of the 10 slot bags out of the guild bank.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 22, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I guess I was just wanted to start a build that I would be using in late game so I would be more familiar with it.

I really enjoyed nightblade/riftstalker, This build here, but I think it doesn't get effective until the 40's or 50.

Ranger wouldn't be a bad spec to get familiar with. Currently it is the top ranged dps for rogues at level 60, and when leveling you get a tanking pet, and it's ranged damage can be good for pvp and IA's.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Eltoasto posted:

I really enjoyed nightblade/riftstalker, This build here, but I think it doesn't get effective until the 40's or 50.

Ranger wouldn't be a bad spec to get familiar with. Currently it is the top ranged dps for rogues at level 60, and when leveling you get a tanking pet, and it's ranged damage can be good for pvp and IA's.

This build owns btw. I basically only die if go after something overleveled to me by a fair amount or after a way too large group.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Hunter Noventa posted:

When you first create a character you'll get a choice of several specs after choosing your class, before getting to the setting-up-how-you-look stage. These, however, are suggestions and will basically just recommend what talents you take each level to follow a basic path. The Soul system of this game means you can mix and match any three of the talent trees to your liking though, and as long as a tree has 0 point spent in it you can switch it for something else (your class trainers will let you reset all points for cheap) and make whatever silly builds you enjoy/feel suit the situation.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Black Pants posted:

When you first create a character you'll get a choice of several specs after choosing your class, before getting to the setting-up-how-you-look stage. These, however, are suggestions and will basically just recommend what talents you take each level to follow a basic path. The Soul system of this game means you can mix and match any three of the talent trees to your liking though, and as long as a tree has 0 point spent in it you can switch it for something else (your class trainers will let you reset all points for cheap) and make whatever silly builds you enjoy/feel suit the situation.

Ah sounds good then, I was wondering how hard the respec costs were given how flexible the builds seemed to be. Looking forward to trying it out.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Can I get an invite as Kumbayala?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Hey Stampy this bit on clerics isn't true anymore since *icar died with storm legion.

The OP posted:

Clerics have one tanking soul, three healing souls, and four offensive souls. The tanking soul doubles as a potent raid healing base and it's incorporation with other souls is a significant factor in our great flexibility.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Matrim posted:

Hey Stampy this bit on clerics isn't true anymore since *icar died with storm legion.

Mac, you need to log back on and raid. All our clerics died at a cleric convention or something. Everyone seems to avoid this class for some bizarre reason.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Eltoasto posted:

I don't understand the love for that spec; it takes more damage and has less healing than other options. Killing things in that spec leaves me missing a bunch of life, while my assassin spec keeps me topped off very well.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tairon posted:

Mac, you need to log back on and raid. All our clerics died at a cleric convention or something. Everyone seems to avoid this class for some bizarre reason.

It's probably because trion neglects the poo poo out of clerics and won't be making a major change to cleric until 2.4

GruntingCod
Aug 4, 2006
Who are our higher end crafters in the guild? It may be a good idea to compile a list of who has what tradeskills so we can send monies to them for stuff.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
I got mining, runecrafting and weaponsmithing at 375. I don't have a lot of patterns, but I've been farming the crafting tokens long enough to buy almost any recipe. Send me a mail in-game (@Kreczor) if you need anything done.

On that note, am I allowed to take gear out of the GB to turn into RC mats and consequently stick those somewhere as well?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I dump stuff in take /leave expecting it to get broken down

I have 375 Armor, and I can buy a recipe or 2 so let me know if there's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
edit: Forgot I could easily transfer. I'll get a different class invite later.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 23, 2013

• Locked thread