Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So I've been having a discussion with a friend, does paracetamol make you last longer in bed? I say yes because it just generally numbs you, she says it just affects pain. We tried googling it and all we got were links to various 'herbal remedies'.

Fingers crossed I don't get a big red PREMATURE EJACULATOR title posting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Law posted:

So I've been having a discussion with a friend, does paracetamol make you last longer in bed? I say yes because it just generally numbs you, she says it just affects pain. We tried googling it and all we got were links to various 'herbal remedies'.

Most analgesics have the capability to cause erectile dysfunction (in a small number of men), so I'd argue for the opposite.

Would a big red "PREMATURE EJACULATOR" really be worse than the title you have now?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Law posted:

I don't know the answer, but an interesting thing to keep in mind is that your ability to pain is actually a different sense. Many people assume it is simply 'touch' amped up but it follows completely different neurological paths. That's why some people have that disorder that they can't feel pain but can still feel touch.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Why is plastic an unsuitable material to make the windows in a house with instead of glass? I'm assuming there are reasons we're not doing it already.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Torka posted:

Why is plastic an unsuitable material to make the windows in a house with instead of glass? I'm assuming there are reasons we're not doing it already.

Plastics age badly, especially in sunlight -- both cosmetically and structurally. Old plastics are brittle. They are also vulnerable to temperature changes and can/will warp.

Also, plastic is relatively soft and your windows will constantly get scratched up and won't stay transparent for long.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
In buildings and some large passenger vehicles they use pesticides to kill bugs. Could you kill bugs with carbon monoxide? Like put a bus into a sealed container, flood it with CO and kill all the bugs? Then suck it all out and use it again?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It would kill the bugs but reclaiming the gas might be more trouble than it's worth. It might be worthwhile on an industrial scale but otherwise you'd better neutralise the CO and generate some more when you need it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Does anyone know what the hell does "depth" mean in regards to an L-shaped desk? Specifically I ordered this desk:

http://www.walkeredison.com/d51b29.html

Which has dimensions:

Dimensions: 51" W x 20" D x 29" H (Overall Depth: 51")

So how much space do I need on each side to fit the darn thing?

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Does anyone know what the hell does "depth" mean in regards to an L-shaped desk? Specifically I ordered this desk:

Which has dimensions:

I would think that means the return is included in the desk size. You should need 51"x51", total, to install the new desk.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Rosalind posted:

Which has dimensions:

I'm guessing 51"x51". The 20" is probably how deep the desk top is but the arms are 51" long both ways.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Perfect. I have about 60" of space along each wall so I will be fine then. Thank you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Torka posted:

Glass remains really cheap to manufacture and use for things like that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

b0nes posted:

In buildings and some large passenger vehicles they use pesticides to kill bugs. Could you kill bugs with carbon monoxide? Like put a bus into a sealed container, flood it with CO and kill all the bugs? Then suck it all out and use it again?

Many bugs can close off their spiracles (air holes) and can survive for long periods of time in a very low-oxygen environment. CO is dangerous because hemoglobin has a higher affinity for it than it has for oxygen, so even a low percentage of CO is dangerous, because it binds to the hemoglobin in your red blood cells and won't let go even if there still is a lot of oxygen around.

Insects do not rely on hemoglobin to carry oxygen into the tissues, so CO would probably not be very effective in killing insects. Also CO is really dangerous to people, and is also a very flammable gas, so having busload volumes of it around it not a good idea.

For large scale fumigation, much more lethal gasses were used like dichlorvos that was regularly used to fumigate museum collections until quite recently.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Xenoborg posted:

I might be dreaming this up, but I recall a website where you can upload a piece of music and it will tell you where its from or songs that sound similar to it. Is this a real thing? Something like tineye but for melodies.

Soundhound.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've been having Internet access problems all day, mostly with web browsing but a little bit with games too. I've ruled out a problem with my home network and my connection to my ISP, so that leaves me stuffed. That being said, is there much out there to see if some nearby Internet backbone is toast or something? Even if I can't do anything about it I'd like to know what's ruining my Forums Browsing Experience!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brother Jonathan posted:

They could just use the metric suffixes, though. Instead of a motorcycle with a "500 cc" engine, you could just say a "500 ml" engine.

Probably because the litre is not actually part of the International System of Units (SI), it's just an alternate name for a cubic decimetre.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I've been having Internet access problems all day, mostly with web browsing but a little bit with games too. I've ruled out a problem with my home network and my connection to my ISP, so that leaves me stuffed. That being said, is there much out there to see if some nearby Internet backbone is toast or something? Even if I can't do anything about it I'd like to know what's ruining my Forums Browsing Experience!

The traceroute command can help with that. On a windows machine, you can type in cmd from the run line, or search line, depending on what version of Windows you're running, and that will get you an old school DOS command prompt. From there, you can type in something like 'tracert https://www.yahoo.com' then press enter, then you can see the path for your internet info takes to get from point A to point B, and how long it takes. (For other OS's you can basically Google the OS name and 'traceroute' to find out how to do it.)

If you see a big spike go from something like in times like a router has a response time of 47 ms, then the next line down is something like 500ms then that's probably the botleneck.

Keep in mind that traceroute is just a general diagnostic tool that ought to be taken with a giant block of salt. Plenty of sites block ping requests for valid security reasons, so for example, if you're trying to figure out why you keep getting disconnected while playing WoW, 'traceroute worldofwarcraft.com' isn't going to give you any usable info because it is always going to time out.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 23, 2013

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What relation to me are my great aunt's (grandmother's sister) children and grandchildren, instead of being uncles, aunts and cousins.

How do the terms change?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Her children are your first cousins once removed, and their children (her grandchildren) are your second cousins.

I seem to remember the wikipedia article having a better chart for this, but here you go. The term is cosanguinity.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

VodeAndreas posted:

What relation to me are my great aunt's (grandmother's sister) children and grandchildren, instead of being uncles, aunts and cousins.

How do the terms change?

Her grandchildren are your second (-generation) cousins
Her children being first cousins to your mother or father, you are their first cousin once removed (and they are your first cousins once removed).

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Her children are your first cousins once removed, and their children (her grandchildren) are your second cousins.

I seem to remember the wikipedia article having a better chart for this, but here you go. The term is cosanguinity.

Thanks for the replies, and I just learnt a neat new word.

I was thinking that was when the "removed" started to enter into things but wasn't sure on the correct usage.

I was at my great aunt's 91st birthday today and realised I didn't actually know the right words to describe my relation to most of the people there, I'd previously referred to my (first) cousin's children as my 2nd cousins as well which is wrong according to that chart, I guess I should know better than that now too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

Cousins. All your relatives are your cousins if you can't be bothered figuring out a more specific term.

Dictionary.com posted:

2 one related by descent in a diverging line from a known common ancestor, as from one's grandparent or from one's father's or mother's sister or brother.
3 a kinsman or kinswoman; relative.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
'Cousin' is probably derived from 'kinsman' in the first place.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Are there any general guidelines for situations where you're in public (streets, concert, etc.) and somebody gets angry and possibly violent? Not talking about self defence but rather de-escalation. Googling only showed solutions for a school-setting. What are policemen taught for example? Thanks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Namarrgon posted:

'Cousin' is probably derived from 'kinsman' in the first place.

It's an obvious French loan. Something like "with sister", going back to Latin.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is 'ticktock' a slur/slang for androgynous/neutral-presenting people? I was called that and I never heard of it before. I'm mildly confused.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Wedemeyer posted:

Is 'ticktock' a slur/slang for androgynous/neutral-presenting people? I was called that and I never heard of it before. I'm mildly confused.

They might mean this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tik-Tok_%28Oz%29

Are you a fat robot with a mustache?

That character was featured in the movie Return to Oz, so if it's from someone in their 30s who is more likely to have seen that it would make more sense.

Even without that character, I'd think calling you that word would mean that you are robotic or monotonic, not androgynous, but maybe I'm missing something.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 23, 2013

DarkDwarf
Jun 24, 2013

Wedemeyer posted:

I've heard this term used once to refer to a trans friend of mine in California. He was also bipolar though, so it could as easily have been slang for that. The context didn't seem to elucidate the situation.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any significance to the number 180 in Japanese culture?

We received a gift of $180 from a Japanese couple and it's such a peculiar number it made me wonder.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

victrix posted:

We received a gift of $180 from a Japanese couple and it's such a peculiar number it made me wonder.

Was it a wedding gift? What bills was it in/how many?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

victrix posted:

No. Four is bad (sounds like death), three and five is good-ish. 18/180/1/8 is not a thing.

Probably that's what they budgeted for it. Don't overthink it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

randyest posted:

No. Four is bad (sounds like death), three and five is good-ish. 18/180/1/8 is not a thing.

Probably that's what they budgeted for it. Don't overthink it.

The other thing is that if it's money for a wedding, an even number of bills is bad (divisible).

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I cannot afford the $700 pricetag for Adobe Photoshop on my $14/hour wage.

Can anybody recommend a cheap or free alternative program that I can use to edit photos on at least an amateur level? I mostly just want to mess with exposure and color balance for still shots, landscapes, and portraits; I'm not into airbrushing or anything else super-manipulative like that.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop. I may be willing to pay a small price if a program looks particularly promising.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 24, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Raimundus posted:

Can anybody recommend a cheap or free alternative program that I can use to edit photos on at least an amateur level? I mostly just want to mess with exposure and color balance for still shots, landscapes, and portraits; I'm not into airbrushing or anything else super-manipulative like that.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop. I may be willing to pay a small price if a program looks particularly promising.

I'm pretty sure the old CS2 is free (google it), also paint.net and the gimp.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Raimundus posted:

GIMP, I guess. I hate the layout, though -- it's just not intuitive and can be incredibly hard to find common functions. People who've gotten over the learning curve seem to love it, though.

But Lightroom is great for photo editing, depending on what you're trying to do. For retouching, etc. it's great. For large-scale photomanipulation and compositing, etc., not so great.

Have you looked into the subscription edition of Photoshop? It's full-featured, kept up-to-date, and costs 30 bucks a month. It's 50 bucks a month (I believe you have to pay 600 up-front for a year) if you want to be able to use every single CS Suite program. Not a bad deal at all.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Looks like GIMP is the way to go. CS2 is free, but it's old, unsupported, and not designed for Windows 7. Could wind up being an asspain I don't want. Plus, I've been spoiled by CS5 at work (I can't take it home with me :().

tarepanda posted:

Have you looked into the subscription edition of Photoshop? It's full-featured, kept up-to-date, and costs 30 bucks a month. It's 50 bucks a month (I believe you have to pay 600 up-front for a year) if you want to be able to use every single CS Suite program. Not a bad deal at all.

The subscription option would make more sense to me if I were in a position to make money on this, but right now it's just an intermittent hobby. Hell, if I knew I could charge $50 flat for a portrait, I'd go ahead and buy Photoshop.

Edit: GIMP is perfect. I'm using it right now. Thanks for the help!

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 24, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does this Neverwet thing really work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgEpj-Nain0

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
In Muslim's women's clothing, what's the difference between a buibui and a chador?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Does this Neverwet thing really work?

I don't have any experience with Neverwet in particular, but superhydrophobic coatings/surfaces do exist, and they do allow you to do cool poo poo like that. Just look at the Wikipedia article on superhydrophobic surfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Raimundus posted:

GIMP is perfect.

I think you may be the first person to ever say that. If you're happy with that then carry on, but personally I prefer StylePix.