Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Prowler posted:

You sidelined the best tank? For shaaaaaame.

Riki/Dunban/Melia for life (it is occasionally acceptable to put Shulk in there I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I must be a weirdo - whenever I play an RPG that has a 'main' character that is optional in the party (Xenoblade, FF12, Chrono Trigger), I always put them in the party anyway. Even if they're as annoying as, say, Vaan. Don't know why.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I can't help doing it, either. It just doesn't feel right otherwise.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I generally keep the protagonists around, too. Though in the case of Xenoblade, I eventually wound up putting Shulk under AI control while I ran around as Melia. She's quite good in combat, but the AI doesn't really do her any favors.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I always put all the females in my active party because I don't have sex IRL.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
Took the advice and managed to score xenoblade and get it running on Dolphin. Got a couple of hours logged while everyone was still asleep. Goddamn. I have not been so instantly hooked into a jrpg since I was a wee lad and this feeling coming back without being able to do a drat a thing about it because of the sheer force of joy/awesomeness this game is just feels awesome. Thanks for being total gushing fanboys and girls or I wouldn't have ever listened because I've tried every "oh my god best jrpg its so different" that goons have posted and been disappointed every single time...until now. Goddamn. What a slick and well made game. I feel like a kid again. Every time I think the characters are about to say something stupid and anime they say something normal and I want to throw my TV in joy.

I was sold at "Why were you more worried about a machine than me?" "Well, uh, I just told you?".

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Papercut posted:

Yeah that's the thing with complaining about SE sitting on these IPs, people tend to just ignore the fact that many of them have had additional games released, but the games weren't any good. They don't have enough mass appeal to justify a AAA budget, but then when they're outsourced to some random studio the results are trash. The Mana and Front Mission series have a shitload of entries, but people just tend to pretend the bad ones don't exist. I'm not sure why you would want an(other) Actraiser followup; I loved the original but I'm not really sure why and there are plenty of god games out there to scratch that itch.

The Saga series is the only one they haven't milked. Presumably because Unlimited Saga more or less killed the franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Is Suikoden Tierkreis a) any good and b) anything like any of the main Suikoden games?

NO. and not really.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NewtGoongrich posted:

The Saga series is the only one they haven't milked. Presumably because Unlimited Saga more or less killed the franchise.

They were milking the hell out of that franchise until Unlimited. There are 10 mainline saga games and the most recent dropped in 2012.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Barudak posted:

They were milking the hell out of that franchise until Unlimited. There are 10 mainline saga games and the most recent dropped in 2012.

Saga Frontier 1 and 2 are two of the most innovative RPGs on the PSX. 2 is one of the most unique JRPGs ever. Aside from the remakes, what came after Unlimited?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NewtGoongrich posted:

I'm pretty sure they're still milking that one too. Minstrel Song came out after Unlimited Saga and it looks like Square also put out some f2p/microtransaction social media poo poo in late 2012.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NewtGoongrich posted:

Saga Frontier 1 and 2 are two of the most innovative RPGs on the PSX. 2 is one of the most unique JRPGs ever. Aside from the remakes, what came after Unlimited?

As Rascyc mentioned Emperor's Saga, a F2P japanese only social media card game/empire builder.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Papercut posted:

Riki/Dunban/Melia for life (it is occasionally acceptable to put Shulk in there I guess).

It's never a bad time for Reyn Time :colbert:.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope

Mosaic Perception posted:

Took the advice and managed to score xenoblade and get it running on Dolphin. Got a couple of hours logged while everyone was still asleep. Goddamn. I have not been so instantly hooked into a jrpg since I was a wee lad and this feeling coming back without being able to do a drat a thing about it because of the sheer force of joy/awesomeness this game is just feels awesome. Thanks for being total gushing fanboys and girls or I wouldn't have ever listened because I've tried every "oh my god best jrpg its so different" that goons have posted and been disappointed every single time...until now. Goddamn. What a slick and well made game. I feel like a kid again. Every time I think the characters are about to say something stupid and anime they say something normal and I want to throw my TV in joy.

I was sold at "Why were you more worried about a machine than me?" "Well, uh, I just told you?".
I have a sealed copy of this game (never got around to playing it, backlog) but due to the ridiculous price spike I can't bring myself to open it.

:shrug:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Find out how to get it working on Dolphin and play it in triple the Wii resolution, it's a seriously good RPG. I was going through my steam backlog but tried Xenoblade out and I can't put it down. Xenoblade and FF XII are the only two JRPGs I could get into from the past decade and thus far I'd say Xenoblade is much better than FF XII. And one of the few RPGs where I actually like all of the playable characters.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Sounds like you should play Radiant Historia.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

juicecube posted:

I have a sealed copy of this game (never got around to playing it, backlog) but due to the ridiculous price spike I can't bring myself to open it.

:shrug:

You're not really missing that much by not playing; all of the "best JRPG ever!" stuff is really hyperbolic. It has a super cool setting, a few very nice environments, some decent if generic characters and at least attempts to do some things differently from a standard JRPG even if it fails the execution most of the time.

But the game has some really large issues that bog it down. The combat system is really repetitive and mindless, 90% of sidequests are dumb collection or monster killing and most of the ones that aren't are gated behind the boring ones, and all of the interesting to explore areas disappear in the second half of the game instead replaced by linear dungeons filled with trash mobs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't agree with all of that, but I do agree the game definitely loses steam near the end. Giant zones are fun when there's lots of places to explore and stuff to see; which is true for the majority of the game, but the last 25% is basically completely linear without getting any smaller to compensate. Also, the plot kinda becomes consumed by the 7th party member, who isn't very interesting.

I also really didn't like that weird system where you get agility penalties or boosts for every set interval below or above an enemy's level you are. It basically forces you to try and stay in a set level range, or else things become arbitrarily hard or really easy. Maybe I'm just bitter because I didn't any sidequests and was basically forced to grind at the endgame solely to get around those penalties.

The first 3/4 of the game are amazing though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I got bogged down in Xenoblade on some MMO-ish side quests. The battle system is really fun in interesting boss fights but a lot of the random field enemies were just HP sponges that took forever to kill and it got tiresome. Though I think I was behind the level/item curve because I kept losing patience with the crafting and grinding.

That said, while I grew up on jrpgs I almost never have patience for them anymore and I did get further in this one than any other jrpg in the last decade besides the psp Joan of Arc or a couple of remakes of childhood favorites. If you are nuts for the genre this is probably a big standout.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The key to enjoying combat in Xenoblade is to bench your dedicated healer. Combat goes much faster and there's more party synergy in chain attacks.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

U-DO Burger posted:

The key to enjoying combat in Xenoblade is to bench your dedicated healer. Combat goes much faster and there's more party synergy in chain attacks.

This is the best piece of advice you will ever hear about Xenoblade (short of heeding all warnings about Riki's level of sneakiness). I've just gotten Seven as a permanent party member, and I've been running Seven/Dunban/Melia and leaving the healing to chain attacks (courtesy of that one skill that heals you with chain attacks). Everything dies so rapidly that's all the healing I've been needing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

FuzzySlippers posted:

I got bogged down in Xenoblade on some MMO-ish side quests. The battle system is really fun in interesting boss fights but a lot of the random field enemies were just HP sponges that took forever to kill and it got tiresome. Though I think I was behind the level/item curve because I kept losing patience with the crafting and grinding.

That said, while I grew up on jrpgs I almost never have patience for them anymore and I did get further in this one than any other jrpg in the last decade besides the psp Joan of Arc or a couple of remakes of childhood favorites. If you are nuts for the genre this is probably a big standout.
The game is still like 60 hours long even if you ignore all the MMO-ish side quests. I played through that entire game without doing a single side quest after the intro and I never regretted a second of it. And it still delivered. Also it gives you the added bonus of being relatively on level for the story content so the boss fights aren't a complete utter joke.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Hey guys, have any of you played Super Mario RPG or Breath of Fire II? How "grindy" are they?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Super Mario RPG is not grindy at all, if you just do the fights you come across you'll always be strong enough for whatever is coming up. Breath of Fire II is grindy as hell though.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Smart Car posted:

Super Mario RPG is not grindy at all, if you just do the fights you come across you'll always be strong enough for whatever is coming up. Breath of Fire II is grindy as hell though.

Ah, okay. So, Super Mario RPG is pretty quick moving, in that sense. Good. Any advice before I start playing it? Should I just jump to the Paper Mario RPGs instead?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
No way, SMRPG has always been miles ahead of every Paper Mario game. Put together. Seriously just play it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Hey guys, have any of you played Super Mario RPG or Breath of Fire II? How "grindy" are they?

Mario RPG is not grindy at all. The platforming elements allow you to avoid encounters if you want to and are skilled enough, and even the hardest optional superboss can be beaten at a relatively low level if you play smart and equip yourself right.

Breath of Fire 2, on the other hand, is infamously poorly balanced. The encounter rate is high everywhere, and much of the time you'll have no access to the tools for reducing them. There are points throughout the game where you'll simply be unable to win if you're not at a certain level, and the level you have to be at is quite a bit higher than where you'll be if you have been playing normally and not getting too lost. The plot is full of backtracking in situations where you can't realistically have fast travel. The GBA version doubled enemies' EXP yields and you'll still have to spend a lot of time on the tiny secret island full of monsters who give thousands of EXP per fight in order to have a chance at surviving the final dungeon.

Night and day, those two are.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Bongo Bill posted:

Mario RPG is not grindy at all. The platforming elements allow you to avoid encounters if you want to and are skilled enough, and even the hardest optional superboss can be beaten at a relatively low level if you play smart and equip yourself right.

Breath of Fire 2, on the other hand, is infamously poorly balanced. The encounter rate is high everywhere, and much of the time you'll have no access to the tools for reducing them. There are points throughout the game where you'll simply be unable to win if you're not at a certain level, and the level you have to be at is quite a bit higher than where you'll be if you have been playing normally and not getting too lost. The plot is full of backtracking in situations where you can't realistically have fast travel. The GBA version doubled enemies' EXP yields and you'll still have to spend a lot of time on the tiny secret island full of monsters who give thousands of EXP per fight in order to have a chance at surviving the final dungeon.

Night and day, those two are.

BoF2 isn't that bad by 16-bit JRPG standards: you'll gain enough levels to deal with random encounters as long as you explore dungeons thoroughly and don't run from battles, and nearly all the bosses are fairly easily beatable by abusing Ryu's dragon abilities. There are other things you can do to give yourself a leg up too, but some are obscure and/or missable -- if you're gonna play it, you should probably at least use a guide to decide who to invite to TownShip, because that can make a huge difference. Having said that, the best weapons for about half the characters in the game are 1/128 chance drops off late-game enemies, so yeah, it expects you to grind. If you don't have the patience to put up with RPGs of its era, give it a miss.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

CowboyAndy posted:

BoF2 is a decent game if and only if you're into 16 bit era RPGs. The story was pretty ground-breaking for the time (religious themes in an SNES game).

Also, if you're going to play it, play it with the re-translation: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/. Apparently it was translated from Japanese to German and then from German to English, but it's far, far superior to the original translation.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The retranslation of Breath of Fire 2 is so, so good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rascyc posted:

The game is still like 60 hours long even if you ignore all the MMO-ish side quests.

Not quite. Xenoblade is about 75 hours, minimum.

Thuryl posted:

BoF2 isn't that bad by 16-bit JRPG standards: you'll gain enough levels to deal with random encounters as long as you explore dungeons thoroughly and don't run from battles, and nearly all the bosses are fairly easily beatable by abusing Ryu's dragon abilities. There are other things you can do to give yourself a leg up too, but some are obscure and/or missable -- if you're gonna play it, you should probably at least use a guide to decide who to invite to TownShip, because that can make a huge difference. Having said that, the best weapons for about half the characters in the game are 1/128 chance drops off late-game enemies, so yeah, it expects you to grind. If you don't have the patience to put up with RPGs of its era, give it a miss.

BoF 2 can gently caress you over in some places. God help you if you haven't been using Sten, because all you'll have is a basement of high-level creature to try and grind on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BoF2 has Deus/Bleu as a hidden character who helps take a lot of the edge off any possible difficulty.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Wendell posted:

The retranslation of Breath of Fire 2 is so, so good.

It really is. You could see in the original SNES translation that there was a kernel of a good story there. The re-translation confirms that.

Speaking of SNES RPGs, has anyone played Secret of the Stars lately?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

As someone who only played the gba remake of BoF2 would it be worth trying the snes version with this translation? I don't remember if the remake added anything new.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

MockingQuantum posted:

Is Suikoden Tierkreis a) any good and b) anything like any of the main Suikoden games?

YES and supposedly no.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Overminty posted:

As someone who only played the gba remake of BoF2 would it be worth trying the snes version with this translation? I don't remember if the remake added anything new.

Yes. The GBA remake added inferior art and lovely color.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

NewtGoongrich posted:

It really is. You could see in the original SNES translation that there was a kernel of a good story there. The re-translation confirms that.

Speaking of SNES RPGs, has anyone played Secret of the Stars lately?

For some reason I kinda sorta didn't hate that game as a kid. I would never, ever recommend anyone else play it though. Even if the story was properly translated, it would still be bad.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

CVagts posted:

For some reason I kinda sorta didn't hate that game as a kid. I would never, ever recommend anyone else play it though. Even if the story was properly translated, it would still be bad.

I have very fond memories of it. I tried to replay it last summer, but it had virtually no story or character development. Also, it's grindy and looks more like an NES game than a SNES game.

I think the main reason I liked it as a young kid (7-8ish) was because the main characters weren't ancient teenagers like most JRPGs, but 7-8 year old kids.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

CVagts posted:

I'd go so far as to call it Badbad. That being said, I enjoyed it well enough as a teenager, though I was pretty starved for RPGs at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Captain Vittles posted:

I'd go so far as to call it Badbad. That being said, I enjoyed it well enough as a teenager, though I was pretty starved for RPGs at the time.

Badbad is downright good compared to Homncruse. Yes, Homncruse. I always pronounced it "Hom-Nee-Crews" when I was a kid.