Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Thanks Mu - why do I feel like I've seen this before? And if I had why didn't I buy it immediately. Mysteries lost to the mists of time. At least I'm getting one now. Not the gold one.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
They've been around the thread a couple times. I think they had a kickstarter a while back?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

porktree posted:

Wait, where do I get the metal filter?

There are a few floating around but I was given one of the Able metal filters by my current favorite coffee shop when they switched to using the gold filter.

E: Here it is http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#disk-coffee-filter

Double edit: This is what I get for not hitting F5

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Kaffeologie is the other manufacturer of a metal filter for the Aeropress - http://kaffeologie.com/shop/s-filter-for-aeropress-coffee-makers - the holes are a lot finer than the Kone filter so you get a much richer and fuller bodied taste from it.

Their customer service is good: mine didn't arrive so I emailed them and they sent out a replacement by priority shipping with no charge on the same day as my email.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

kim jong-illin posted:

Kaffeologie is the other manufacturer of a metal filter for the Aeropress - http://kaffeologie.com/shop/s-filter-for-aeropress-coffee-makers - the holes are a lot finer than the Kone filter so you get a much richer and fuller bodied taste from it.

Their customer service is good: mine didn't arrive so I emailed them and they sent out a replacement by priority shipping with no charge on the same day as my email.

I'm not a fan of this one because it seems just a touch too flimsy for my clumsiness. If you really want a crazy amount of body in your aeropress look into an American Trade cloth filter.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Alleric posted:

Trip report on the heat gun.

This is from seven months ago, but I finally got around to ordering a heat gun. Thanks for posting it, Alleric. This method should have been listed alongside the air popper as an easy, quick method. It took me about half an hour to get a pound to a surprisingly consistent City+, and that includes cooling, chaffing, and packaging in valve bags. Anyone still using a popper really should sink the ~$30 and give this a try.

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003
I made a pound of starbucks style coffee with the heat gun / dog bowl method this past weekend. It took about 30 minutes to start first crack and then second crack started before some of the beans were done with first. I think I will end up using the beans for cold brew.

I learned a lot though about where to point the gun and how fast to stir. I also won't stand downwind again. I hope my next shot at it will result in a roast at least similar to what I get out of my popper.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

BaBo_FiSH posted:

I made a pound of starbucks style coffee with the heat gun / dog bowl method this past weekend. It took about 30 minutes to start first crack and then second crack started before some of the beans were done with first. I think I will end up using the beans for cold brew.

I learned a lot though about where to point the gun and how fast to stir. I also won't stand downwind again. I hope my next shot at it will result in a roast at least similar to what I get out of my popper.

I had an experience much more similar to Loucks my first time using heat gun / dog bowl. I got to first crack in probably 7 minutes or so, and it was pretty easy to keep it even by moving and stirring. I will say my only regret was doing it in my dark garage (couldn't find an extension cord to get outside), so I had to go almost totally by sound. That's not the worst, but I prefer working by sight and sound. Next time, I will make sure to have a little more light.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I can't recommend getting a high intensity LED headlamp enough. I use the thing for grilling, outdoor wokking, roasting, harvesting veg after dark, etc. get one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This is the menu at my favorite neighborhood coffee shop and I love it. I don't know what half the things are, but the "Build your own drat house" is a cup of coffee, a whole fresh coconut, and a thick slice of toast slathered with butter and cinnamon sugar. Follow it up with the "Yoko" grapefruit juice and it's the best breakfast in the city.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is that the artisanal toast place?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't really see anything "artisanal" about it. It tastes good because it's loaded up with butter and sugar.

edit: Actually there is a place called The Mill that is a bakery and they make all their own bread and charge $4 for toast. It's tasty but still a rip off. C'mon, $4 for a slice of toast with some almond butter on it?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 19, 2013

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mu Zeta posted:

edit: Actually there is a place called The Mill that is a bakery and they make all their own bread and charge $4 for toast. It's tasty but still a rip off. C'mon, $4 for a slice of toast with some almond butter on it?

Paying $4 for toast is so passe.

Burnt Brioche Toast, House Ricotta, Blenheim Apricot Jam $7 yesss

http://sqirlla.com/menu/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ricotta and brioche sounds obscene. I want that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Metal filter inverted aeropress is basically the platonic ideal for creating a single serving of coffee with excellent body and achieving proper extraction.
I just got an Able disk-fine and I'm really impressed. I've mostly been using the aeropress because it's easier to clean up at work than a french press, but the metal filter really takes it up a notch. It's like the best aspects of drip and french press coffee combined.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I got my refurb Baratza Encore in yesterday and ground my first cup of coffee today with it. I'm just using a press pot, but the difference between this cup and the cups I was drinking with my old crappy black & decker burr grinder is obscene.

The old grinder had a lot of dust that would come off of it, and turn into sludge. This cup of coffee has so little sludge relative to previous ones, and it's incredibly apparent in every sip. If you like press pot coffee it's absolutely worth it to spend on a grinder, this is amazing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Well I've been brainstorming ways to hack a cold brew drip structure and today I just happened upon this.

http://prima-coffee.com/blog/what-everyone-ought-know-about-iced-coffee-cold-brew-31371

I'm sure most of us in this thread have everything in this diy. Now, paper filter != Buchner funnel, and you don't really get super fine drip control with a water bottle but this could be a cool way to try it without buying a 300bux structure or assembling 150bux of lab glass.

Maybe using a metal mesh aeropress filter would get better results.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Right now I have a Capresso CoffeeTEAM GS, since, well, I'm lazy as gently caress at 6 AM and I like fresh ground, good coffee. I like this machine because it grinds the beans and makes a pretty drat good pot of coffee automatically.

In an effort to be less lazy, I want to get really serious about coffee.

In the OP, for a drip machine, it recommends the Technivorm. I'm hesitant for a couple reasons:

1.) It seems like the build quality and design of the thing is really, really polarizing. Some people REALLY hate it and some people love it. Is it really that much better? Is there an even better drip machine?

2.) My current machine has a gold mesh filter. I was under the impression that this was better since paper absorbed the flavorful oils that brewing the coffee releases. Personally, I don't give a poo poo about sludge in my cup. Does paper really absorb flavorful oils, and are there any other downsides to the gold mesh filter? Are there better filters?

Hopefully these questions haven't already been beaten to death. Thanks!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My favorite drip machine is the Chemex. You have complete control and it's easy to use, and it will be better than any auto machine. Making coffee with the Technivorm is like cooking your steak with a microwave.

With the Chemex you normally use a really thick paper filter and it does produce a really clean taste, but if you want to you can buy a metal filter from Able Brewing and it works very well - tastes somewhere between a French Press and drip.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 23, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nostrum posted:

Right now I have a Capresso CoffeeTEAM GS, since, well, I'm lazy as gently caress at 6 AM and I like fresh ground, good coffee. I like this machine because it grinds the beans and makes a pretty drat good pot of coffee automatically.

In an effort to be less lazy, I want to get really serious about coffee.

In the OP, for a drip machine, it recommends the Technivorm. I'm hesitant for a couple reasons:

1.) It seems like the build quality and design of the thing is really, really polarizing. Some people REALLY hate it and some people love it. Is it really that much better? Is there an even better drip machine?

2.) My current machine has a gold mesh filter. I was under the impression that this was better since paper absorbed the flavorful oils that brewing the coffee releases. Personally, I don't give a poo poo about sludge in my cup. Does paper really absorb flavorful oils, and are there any other downsides to the gold mesh filter? Are there better filters?

Hopefully these questions haven't already been beaten to death. Thanks!

The difference is mostly in the suspended fines in the cup which are filtered out with a paper filter. This mostly presents in coffee texture and a slightly more aggressive/sharper taste on the palate that some construe as bitter others like. It's a matter of taste. Paper filtered coffee does filter out cholesterol boosting junk if that's at all a concern. The "absorbing flavorful oils" thing is not really a thing. Especially if you wash and presoak/heat the filter before doing the bloom/first infusion.

As for quality. I prefer paper filtered coffee. Good paper filters (Filtropa are a good brand for standard cones, the hario filters for v60 are awesome too), rinsed, contribute negligible to zero paper taste. I think the assertiveness of mesh filtered things works better for some coffees than others. For instance, I like it with darker roasts and Asian coffees. I think it hinders fruitier African coffees. I generally prefer brighter, spicier, fruitier coffees so I more often than not prefer paper filters.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Bonavita and the Behmor Brazen coffee makers are both highly recommended both here and elsewhere on the coffeespergnet and are about half the price of a Technivorm.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 23, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Making coffee with the Technivorm is like cooking your steak with a microwave.
What? Not at all. This analogy makes no sense.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mu Zeta posted:

My favorite drip machine is the Chemex. You have complete control and it's easy to use, and it will be better than any auto machine. Making coffee with the Technivorm is like cooking your steak with a microwave.

No the technivorm is like making steak with cast iron v. on the grill. It is a different style that isn't better nor worse.

----
Yeah, you really have to pick your filters. I think the white filtropias are the best. To compare, I ran out of filtropias and don't have a local source and bought some supermarket ones to tide me over. Coffee tasted like paper.
One of the reason Chemexs got so popular is that they have a special filter that is a ton better than what is available and really what was available in the US a while ago. My mom has had a Chemex since the 70s, and we found a box of 40 year old chemex filters in storage. They're basically the same as today.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 23, 2013

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

The difference is mostly in the suspended fines in the cup which are filtered out with a paper filter. This mostly presents in coffee texture and a slightly more aggressive/sharper taste on the palate that some construe as bitter others like. It's a matter of taste. Paper filtered coffee does filter out cholesterol boosting junk if that's at all a concern. The "absorbing flavorful oils" thing is not really a thing. Especially if you wash and presoak/heat the filter before doing the bloom/first infusion.

As for quality. I prefer paper filtered coffee. Good paper filters (Filtropa are a good brand for standard cones, the hario filters for v60 are awesome too), rinsed, contribute negligible to zero paper taste. I think the assertiveness of mesh filtered things works better for some coffees than others. For instance, I like it with darker roasts and Asian coffees. I think it hinders fruitier African coffees. I generally prefer brighter, spicier, fruitier coffees so I more often than not prefer paper filters.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Bonavita and the Behmor Brazen coffee makers are both highly recommended both here and elsewhere on the coffeespergnet and are about half the price of a Technivorm.

Thank you! My favorites are full city/Vienna South/Central Americans and American or City roast Africans like Tanzanian Peaberry, Yirgachefe, and Kenya AA. I had never considered switching filters based on the bean! That makes a lot of sense. Also, price is basically no object for me. For something I drink every single day I'm willing to spend whatever if it means getting a tangibly better flavor.

nm posted:

No the technivorm is like making coffee with cast iron v. on the grill. It is a different style that isn't better nor worse.

----
Yeah, you really have to pick your filters. I think the white filtropias are the best. To compare, I ran out of filtropias and don't have a local source and bought some supermarket ones to tide me over. Coffee tasted like paper.
One of the reason Chemexs got so popular is that they have a special filter that is a ton better than what is available and really what was available in the US a while ago. My mom has had a Chemex since the 70s, and we found a box of 40 year old chemex filters in storage. They're basically the same as today.

I'd prefer a machine because like I said, I'm lazy as gently caress in the morning, and seriously cannot function to the degree required to manually make great coffee. What about Melitta filters? They seem to have better (on average) reviews.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nostrum posted:

I'd prefer a machine because like I said, I'm lazy as gently caress in the morning, and seriously cannot function to the degree required to manually make great coffee. What about Melitta filters? They seem to have better (on average) reviews.

Melittas are the ones I am talking about as tasting like paper.
These are the best by far: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/filters/filtropa-4-filters-white.html

nm fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 23, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We have had a Technivorm since the loving early 90's and it's still going strong. The build quality of those things is impeccable.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Heatgun question - variable power, or is a dual temp gun enough to work with?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

dusty posted:

Heatgun question - variable power, or is a dual temp gun enough to work with?

TLDR: Fancy gun is pretty much a waste of money. Set the controls for the heart of the sun and run stir like hell.

This is my take on the variable temp ones vs dual setting ones.

When shopping my gun I was drooling over the DeWalt digital that you could park at any temperature, but decided to get my feet wet on the dead simple 2-setting one. My thought at that time was that, well... the people that use the heat guns have been doing it just fine without the crazed variability, so I would see if this was the roasting method for me on the cheap, maybe come back and get the "better" gun later.

So after countless batches on the gun, what I have found is that you really only need the high setting. When you're roasting like this, it's far more important to keep the beans moving since you don't have the high ratio of forced air to bean mass a popper has. If you don't agitate well, you risk uneven roast levels per-bean as you're going along, risk extending first crack out, and in some cases as has been posted you can run into a situation where you have beans hitting second crack while first crack isn't done on others.

So what? Just roast on a lower temp on the variable and that should allow the temperature rise to keep up with your less-than-optimal agitation and it should all be fine, right? Sure, if you want your 1/2 lb batches to take 20 minutes, and your 1 lb patches up towards half an hour.

Well what's the problem with that? Here there be dragons, flavor-wise. Roasting beans too slowly can introduce a vastly different flavor profile, especially the transition of the bean through the first-crack temperature range happens too slowly. Baked flavors are the most common result of this, but you also change the subtle chemical compound ratio of other flavors. There are badass roasters in the world that can manipulate this to their own ends after testing a bean to the ends of the earth, but I'm not that guy and I doubt any of us are either.

Believe it or not you have the best temperature control available already, regardless of what gun you get: you. Once you get used to things and you get your technique down, your eyes and nose will tell you what's going on with a roast, if things are even, etc... and you can tune the heat by raising or lowering the gun from or to the surface of the beans. Normally, my pattern follows this on most beans:

1. Gun on high about an inch from the beans, letting my agitation throw the beans past the gun as I stir.

2. If everything appears to be coming up evenly, lower the gun a bit, keep stirring and wait...

3. Repeat 2 until either the gun is so low to the beans that you can't stir past it, or you've hit first crack.

4. As soon as first crack gets rolling, raise the gun up to that ~1 inch spot again, slowing things down juuuuust a bit (don't shut the gun off here or the "baked" flavor is a sure result). Stir like hell to get the "excessive" heat from the cracking beans into the beans that haven't cracked yet. This step is your great equalizer for taking beans to much darker roasts. Get them all together here as much as you can and you'll lower your burn risk up in second crack and beyond.

4.a. You know you've had your poo poo down cold on a given roast when first crack goes off like fireworks and stops just as abruptly. This means that the vast majority of your bean mass is at the same temp and you're riding the beautiful lightning towards your final roasting destination. Eventually, 4.a will be your norm unless you get a weird bean (I'm looking at you, Ethopian Illubabor Camp). If this happens, you can ignore 4 and 5. Keep the pedal down and roll on.

5. Keep stirring like hell and lower the gun back down. At this point because of the heat differential being more narrow between the air the gun's putting out and the bean temp (yes it's still crazy big, but 600F is still less than 1000F), the roast will slow down inherently a bit. I've stalled enough roasts at this point by having the gun too high out of fear of burning that I know now not to do it.

6. When you hit your temp or sound/color of choice, dump and cool.

P.S. Ethiopia Sidama Deri Kochoha is back at SM. For you SO espresso nuts, this bean was my absolute favorite last year. Take it to 440-445F and it's heavenly.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Welp. Here goes. :dance:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
No filter above the grounds?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
What do you guys use to hold your coffee? I just use Ball freezer cups for now because they're relatively airproof but I'm looking for a canister that has a one-way valve. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of getting the Airscape.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Welp. Here goes. :dance:

Go on :devil:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I live near where they make Kopi Luwak and I just managed to pick up a bag super cheap. It's pre-ground. Any tips on preparing it? I don't have an espresso machine or anything unfortunately (just a pour over), but I want to do my super-classy cat poo poo hipster coffee justice.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Well if it's preground, I think it's too late to give it justice anyhow? Best bet is making it asap, I guess...

:stare: I am terribly jealous. How much does a tower like that cost?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I live near where they make Kopi Luwak and I just managed to pick up a bag super cheap. It's pre-ground. Any tips on preparing it? I don't have an espresso machine or anything unfortunately (just a pour over), but I want to do my super-classy cat poo poo hipster coffee justice.

It's already stale, sorry.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Alleric posted:

TLDR: Fancy gun is pretty much a waste of money. Set the controls for the heart of the sun and run stir like hell.

Great post, thanks for your insights. I like your long roast profile especially - my popper tends towards those bright sharp fast flavours. loving 5 minute roasts can really pucker my mouth. The only saving grace for me right now is the freezing winter weather - letting me push up to 8-9 minutes before the first beans hit 2c.

Batch size - how much do you dare to load up? I'm probably roasting 600-700g a week, which is 8-9 popper batches. That'd be around 2 bowls of beans via the dog bowl? Gotta be faster than a million 80g roasts.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

dusty posted:

Great post, thanks for your insights. I like your long roast profile especially - my popper tends towards those bright sharp fast flavours. loving 5 minute roasts can really pucker my mouth. The only saving grace for me right now is the freezing winter weather - letting me push up to 8-9 minutes before the first beans hit 2c.

Batch size - how much do you dare to load up? I'm probably roasting 600-700g a week, which is 8-9 popper batches. That'd be around 2 bowls of beans via the dog bowl? Gotta be faster than a million 80g roasts.

Slowing the roast down could be your thing. A gentleman I work with who also roasts has experimented with this using his modded popper that uses constant bean temp to alter the duty cycle in the heating coil. He can pretty much map out any temperature path he wants to his final roasting destination. He has way more time to look into these things since he nerdgasms on both coffee and home-grown-programming projects.

Heat gun is absolutely a slower roasting method though compared to 3 ounces in a popper, even going guns blazing at it.

As for batch size, I have a 2 quart metal bowl I use and I do half pound or full pound, depending on what I need. I can do 2lbs of coffee start to finish in 30 mins.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Me in Reverse posted:

It's already stale, sorry.
Ah well. The same place has beans for $35USD/100g. JJ Royal. Is it worth a look?

I don't actually have a grinder here: it might be about time to grab one. I'm still learning the language, so finding stuff like that is a huge pain in the rear end. There's got to be a homeware store in Surabaya or something that stocks them. It's loving Java, so presumably there's coffee equipment around someplace.

I tried the stale stuff this morning: 3TS of powder in a pour-over. No sugar, a little bit of cold milk. Not exactly classy but I figured what the hell. It's smooth and pleasant but nothing magical and certainly not worth the pricetag. It struck me as kinda weak, considering how much coffee and how little milk went into it. I'll have to try again with the actual beans.

I'm a pretty pro coffee drinker but I've always just gone to the cafe for it. I'm kinda out of my depth here. Everybody is talking about heat guns and gravity spindrives and it's some wonderful sounding science-fiction poo poo to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

From what I understand there's nothing special about the taste of the poo coffee and people just buy it because it's poo coffee. I'm sure you can just find better local coffee around there. All you really need to buy is a grinder and you'll be set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
IE goons: is there decent locally roasted coffee in Riverside? I just moved here and I'm not seeing much besides Starbucks and Coffee Bean. Half of the Yelp reviews
are for chain places.