Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Nomnom Cookie posted:

u can also use a datagram socket
regardless you're only solving one of the three goals that i mentioned for COM and doing that badly compared to jumping through a thunk directly into another object's code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

regardless you're only solving one of the three goals that i mentioned for COM and doing that badly compared to jumping through a thunk directly into another object's code

the goals you mentioned are bad and not worth striving for. they were forced on OLE and later COM by the extremely limited platform 16-bit windows provided

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

windows has datagrams?

ya its called udp (user datagram protocol)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i seriously have no idea what UDP is and how it different from TCP

i've looked it up a bunch of times but it's too much for my tiny brain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

COM does what it says on the tin

DCOM failed to do what it said on the tin, which is why we have .NET: a non-C calling convention that actually works

tiny wrinkle: why the gently caress won't C++ users call in/out of our new, awesome calling convention?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

chumpchous posted:

udp doesn't have connections. you send datagrams which are telegrams made of electrons. sometimes datagrams get dropped on the floor of the datagram office and no one notices or cares. you can also tell the kernel you want to receive datagrams and maybe you will

tcp has connections. it creates two virtual tubes, one for sending bytes and one for receiving bytes. it doesn't make sense for a byte to fall out of the tube or arrive out of order, because the tubes are only wide enough for one byte at a time, so tcp has to do some bookkeeping to make sure the tubes work right

both are built on top of ip. ip packets are an ip address + data and you can send packets and you can receive packets. ip doesn't do ordering, connections, retransmission, any of that stuff

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

btw the "series of tubes" guy was basically correct and talking about ip networks and congestion, except it was extremely non-technical language. it pisses me off because someone tried really hard to get this old fart senator to understand the internet and pretty much succeeded, then the old fart got made fun of for having a better understanding of the internet than at least 95% of the USA

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Nomnom Cookie posted:

btw the "series of tubes" guy was basically correct and talking about ip networks and congestion, except it was extremely non-technical language. it pisses me off because someone tried really hard to get this old fart senator to understand the internet and pretty much succeeded, then the old fart got made fun of for having a better understanding of the internet than at least 95% of the USA

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ya its called udp (user datagram protocol)

yeah except why would i use that for ipc. why cant i get unix domain sockets on windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ya. especially cause the people who made fun of him know even less about the internet. they don't have zero understanding, they have an incorrect understanding. see also: network neutrality.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah except why would i use that for ipc. why cant i get unix domain sockets on windows

because windows devs get proxies and stubs instead. enjoy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
boner

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Windows has message oriented "Unix domain sockets" and has had them for a while, they're just called "named pipes". Bonus is they also work across networks if you use UNC paths

(Why is UNC in Android's dictionary)

They have credential passing too although I don't know if they have FD passing. Probably not since windows doesnt really "do" fds.

(FD is auto capitalised too? Oh god)

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Is CIFS also in androids dictionary?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*checks*

Nope :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mr Dog posted:

(Why is UNC in Android's dictionary)

someone at google likes good basketball

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gazpacho posted:

hiring ray ozzie as chief architect was a mistake but joel remains ignorant, he would never say anything good about live mesh because he believes the idea of network file systems is fundamentally wrong

does he have an alternative suggestion?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
use corba

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
use cobra

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

cobra insurance sucks but its better than nothing

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

polpotpi posted:

cobra insurance sucks but its better than nothing

yes just let me pay $300/mo for insurance

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so nomnom i gave your suggestion some reflection and no, it's an absolutely terrible idea, you're proposing that data should be marshaled every time a call is made from one object to another even within the same thread, in an app of any size like IE or word that happens constantly so congrats on destroying performance with a million memory copies. thank god for COM

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

chumpchous posted:

I'd tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

be careful what u wish for http://cobra-language.com/

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

boooo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

so nomnom i gave your suggestion some reflection and no, it's an absolutely terrible idea, you're proposing that data should be marshaled every time a call is made from one object to another even within the same thread, in an app of any size like IE or word that happens constantly so congrats on destroying performance with a million memory copies. thank god for COM

no im saying com is terrible and solves problems that don't need to be solved. c calling convention + sockets does the same thing but more simply

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

graph posted:

ur gonna wish you had when your in the hospital with your arm swole up to 18in diameter from a cobra bite

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Ooooo, that actually looks quite nice at first glance.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

urgh, .Net runtime.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

But yeah, optional typing with inference, first class tests, contracts, exception post-mortems, non-nillable types. I am genuinely excited by this.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Zombywuf posted:

But yeah, optional typing with inference, first class tests, contracts, exception post-mortems, non-nillable types. I am genuinely excited by this.

code:
alphabet <> ''
:stonk:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

graph posted:

yes please, where can i get this $300/mo insurance

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dur posted:

yes please, where can i get this $300/mo insurance

you have to lose your job

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

graph posted:

you have to lose your job
done and done. and I mean DONE.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:golfclap:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

Windows has message oriented "Unix domain sockets" and has had them for a while, they're just called "named pipes". Bonus is they also work across networks if you use UNC paths

And still no support for integrating into an event loop. Microsoft really loves the proactor pattern.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrMoo posted:

And still no support for integrating into an event loop. Microsoft really loves the proactor pattern.

:confused:

CreateNamedPipe returns a HANDLE, surely you can just WaitForMultipleObjects on it or use an IO completion port or whatever?

Don't get me wrong it's still a dogshit API in the finest tradition of Win32 but I'm surprised something that simple can't be made to work.

Then again, this is the OS that didn't have condition variables until 2007.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:xd:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr Dog posted:

Then again, this is the OS that didn't have condition variables until 2007.

wait what?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

both are built on top of ip. ip packets are an ip address + data and you can send packets and you can receive packets. ip doesn't do ordering, connections, retransmission, any of that stuff

raw ip is totally dead. if your traffic doesn't have a tcp/udp port number, or an icmp type field, it will 100% certainly be dropped at the firewall

this is why all new protocols are built on top of either tcp or udp

there is no point in pretending that we can pass ip traffic that isn't wrapped in one or the other. e.g. why isn't sctp popular