Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Verse 17: the Ballad of the Blind Female Victim

Statistics indicate that 83.5% of attractive young blind women will be stalked by a dangerous criminal at some point during the film's running time.

Blind Fear
The original version of this showed a reflection of the film's New England setting in the glasses instead of Kim Coates, but I couldn't find a decent copy of the image.

Jennifer 8
...earlier, so she's not very hungry now

See No Evil

Strange Shadows in an Empty Room
A Canadian Giallo (?!)

Wait Until Dark
I love the tagline on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

ShufflerZero posted:

Verse 17: the Ballad of the Blind Female Victim
You forgot (or chose to omit) this lazy-rear end poster for an unfocused movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That has me wondering: have there been any films where the marketing has straight up lied about what the film is like? It seems like something that an independent film would have tried before. I've seen things like Red Eye (2005) where the trailer makes you think it's going to be a zany romantic comedy before switching it up, but I don't think I've seen a film where they went all the way with it.

Alien 3.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Darthemed posted:

You forgot (or chose to omit) this lazy-rear end poster for an unfocused movie.

Aha! I though someone might bring this one up. I chose to omit because she starts off blind but gains her sight before the stalking starts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

And of course, blind men show up in movies like this:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And of course, blind men show up in movies like this:

My favorite part of that poster is how they show him cutting up the other guns in such a way as to disable them, except for the shotguns which will still be perfectly able to shoot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite part of that poster is how they show him cutting up the other guns in such a way as to disable them, except for the shotguns which will still be perfectly able to shoot.

My favourite part of that poster is the bit that says "Directed by Philip Noyce". Blind Fury: silly westernised Zatoichi movie and breakout piece for the director of Patriot Games, The Bone Collector, Rabbit Proof Fence and Salt.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

My favorite part is that it says "Blind FURY" under an image of a guy who looks like he's just having a gay old time.

Jedit posted:

My favourite part of that poster is the bit that says "Directed by Philip Noyce". Blind Fury: silly westernised Zatoichi movie and breakout piece for the director of Patriot Games, The Bone Collector, Rabbit Proof Fence and Salt.

Don't forget Dead Calm!

(click for huge)

None of these strike me as terrible, surprisingly.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

The feel-good story of Sheriff Joe Arpaio losing his job, home, and savings and being forced to roam pariah until he dies in a culvert. Rated PG.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Every god drat time this poster comes up someone points this out.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

The Time Dissolver posted:

My favorite part is that it says "Blind FURY" under an image of a guy who looks like he's just having a gay old time.

Don't forget Dead Calm!

All this Billy Zane talk reminded me of one of my guilty pleasures of cinema... The Phantom! Let's see how the posters faired..

The original teaser poster. Not bad, a little classy, even. It's unique and brooding, and the use of a large, block font overlaying the image is decades ahead of the current trend. The title is clearly written in a pulp-inspired font. Hey, this might be an interesting movie!

Oh, uh... well... I guess evil is pretty bad, so it makes sense that it needs to be slammed. Poor Billy Zane couldn't look less interesting in his slamming of evil, however. This is pretty rough, but it's still kinda interesting. The tagline still sucks. Oh well, if that's the worst..

Thanks, SyFy!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The last one isn't for the Billy Zane movie, it's for the 2009 TV mini-series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1438437/

Apparently he's wearing a "tactical realism" -style battlesuit:

Wikipedia posted:

The 22rd (sic) Phantom wears a modified costume that is highly resistant to bullets, blades and falls, doubles his strength and can make him move faster.

So does that give him the strength of twenty tigers, or is he just some loser who only goes up to five tigers normally and needs the suit to get all the way to ten?

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Veib posted:

The last one isn't for the Billy Zane movie, it's for the 2009 TV mini-series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1438437/

Apparently he's wearing a "tactical realism" -style battlesuit:

So does that give him the strength of twenty tigers, or is he just some loser who only goes up to five tigers normally and needs the suit to get all the way to ten?

Oh, I'm well aware of the SyFy mini-series. Since the subtitle of the thread is "The Good, the bad & the awful," I just thought including it filled the latter niche nicely. I'm pretty excited about the fact that the Wikipedia entry on the show states that The Phantom is the only one who can "save the only man who can bring peace to the Middle East."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Blind Fury looks like a Naked Gun spin-off, if that poster is to be believed.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I loving love 1990s attempts at comic book movies. Almost all of them were were smaller properties too.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Mierenneuker posted:

So, this got me curious about From Dusk Till Dawn which is a movie that definitely should have lied in it's trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgk_SAbC5_0

Succes! (well, there are a couple glimpses, but it does a good job for the most part).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNuIn4T-CLk

Failure!

I still don't get everyone's obsession with pretending the vampire angle was any kind of secret in From Dusk Till Dawn. Our area didn't even have internet until 1997, and distribution of mags like Fangoria was nil, but 12-year-old-me was in a car driving to the nearest theater to see it on a cold January Saturday (the day after release!) with a few friends and a weird Bosnian guy that were all hyped at it being a vampire movie.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The most heinous element of that trailer is making me remember that Quentin Tarantino tried to act in it because I can't recall a single scene with him.

Quentin Tarantino is the worst actor of the 90s. Quite possibly the worst actor in the last 25 years.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Tarantino's actually not terrible in it, imo. It's probably the only time I'd say that, but he actually fits the character.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Matlock posted:

I still don't get everyone's obsession with pretending the vampire angle was any kind of secret in From Dusk Till Dawn. Our area didn't even have internet until 1997, and distribution of mags like Fangoria was nil, but 12-year-old-me was in a car driving to the nearest theater to see it on a cold January Saturday (the day after release!) with a few friends and a weird Bosnian guy that were all hyped at it being a vampire movie.

I saw it the first weekend and I had a pretty good idea but my two friends had zero clue and were really enjoying it until the reveal. I distinctly recall my one friend saying aloud "What the gently caress?!". He wasn't the only one who had no idea as there was quite a lot of chatter in the theatre at that point. My friends both consider it a bad movie to this day.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Tarantino is a bad actor, but I can usually put up with him. His part in Django though was cringe-worthy.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Tarantino is a bad actor, but I can usually put up with him. His part in Django though was cringe-worthy.

I would argue that his role in Django is worth it for the scene's payoff, but he also clearly just wanted to blow himself up onscreen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah no kidding, I lost complete interest in the film once he turned up. Really didn't redeem itself after that.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I know this is on the previous page but I thought I'd address it anyway.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I wish more trailers were utter lies, as I am anti-spoilers.

The Time Dissolver posted:

I too usually approve of bait-and-switch film marketing, if only because I can't remember ever being disappointed when a film took a different direction than I thought it'd take going in. Even if it's worse, in a way surprise lameness is more engaging than expected lameness.

I don't really think there's a dichotomy between "trailer that misrepresents the film", and "trailer that completely spoils loving everything about the film." A trailer should be a teaser - it should give you a hint of the film's theme, mood, cast, basic plot, etc. It shouldn't spoil the film, but it shouldn't, say, represent a harsh gangster movie as a romcom, or make an art film seem like a popcorn flick, or...misrepresent the whole point of the story.

In the case of Behind the Candelabra, and A Single Man, making a film about a gay character, who is visibly gay, and whose homosexuality has a good deal to do with the story (and isn't some kind of secret revelation, as in American Beauty) come across as straight...is just weird. Are they trying to trick John. Q Homophobe and his wife Tammy into seeing the movie, and then...suddenly realising that gay people are Ok - when in actual fact, what they're doing is making it seem as if they're too scared to be honest about the (usually not particularly explicit, but necessary for the plot) gay content of the film? It'd be like doing a trailer for Milk, and completely forgetting to mention the fact that he was a gay rights activist, or doing a trailer for Mysterious Skin, and not mentioning or even hinting at the fact that the film is about child molestation - even though that's the kind of thing they write on the back of the dvd cover for anyone to read in the video store? It's one thing to not give away a plot reveal or a spoiler - and it's another to completely misrepresent a pretty major part of the film - whether it's to make In Bruges look like a lame buddy cop film, or to make Liberace look not-gay.

And yes, sometimes that *can* mean that you're pleasantly surprised when you see a film, which the trailer made look really lame, and it turns out to be awesome - but more often than not, people who won't like the film get tricked into seeing it, and get upset (like with Drive's trailer making it look like a Fast and the Furious styled flick), and people who *would* respond positively to the film's themes get put off seeing it, since the trailer misrepresents it so dramatically. It's terrible marketing.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When I watched that film with my father, I could have sworn that he was putting on a fairly Ok South African accent. Then...Dad told me it was clearly meant to be an Australian accent. Oh dear.

(For context: we're Australian.)

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
It definitely sounds South African.

SHADDAP BLEK!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Matlock posted:

I had no idea. Me and my friends went along eager to see a movie by two directors we really liked, and we really enjoyed "both" films - but I couldn't help but be disappointed by the sudden shift to a vampire film out of nowhere. Sure the last half of the movie is an absolute blast, but I was REALLY enjoying the set-up of the first half of the film.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Infamous Sphere posted:

When I watched that film with my father, I could have sworn that he was putting on a fairly Ok South African accent. Then...Dad told me it was clearly meant to be an Australian accent. Oh dear.

(For context: we're Australian.)

Having lived in SA for nearly two years, I can confirm that an Afrikaans accent is basically an Australian accent with some marbles in your mouth.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
South African is like a harsh New Zealand accent or vice versa cos of the dutch, ya mungbean. Australian is like every single type of accent from the United Kingdom being thrown into an oven that is the hell that is Australia and just tumbled until it came out queer and broken and nasal.

My problem I had with their accents wasn't that they were bad but I don't think our accent had quite fermented enough yet from UK. These were like 30/40ish dudes who came from a nation only like 60 years old at this point.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Helmacron posted:

Australian is like every single type of accent from the United Kingdom being thrown into an oven that is the hell that is Australia and spoken through a full-face squint

This is the explanation my senior chemistry teacher gave. I trusted her since she'd emigrated to Oklahoma from Brisbane.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Was at a friend's house earlier, and her schtick is to rent seemingly non-offensive Redbox movies on a lazy day and watch them. One of the movies we watched was this:

Which really wasn't a bad straight-to-DVD movie about a work-at-home consumer affairs rep who finds that talking to complete strangers after a misdial is more fun than listening to complete dumbasses chip away at her soul, but she told me I'd like it because it has "that guy from Psych in it" (Dulé Hill). Looking at the cover, it would seem he's a supporting actor, maybe even a love interest of the main actor.

Yeah, supporting actor for about 15 seconds. He calls the rep with a complaint about a bad popcorn maker, and he has like, two lines. "This popcorn maker I bought is burning my popcorn. I hate burnt popcorn!" and then he gets disconnected. Gotta jump on that "hey, it's that familiar face" fad of putting said familiar face front and center of your movie's media, even if they're in it for 10 seconds or so, I guess. Even my friend was like, "Welp, sorry, Elf, the drat cover lied to me :argh:"

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Speaking of bad "Citizen Kane of X" jokes:

What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
N: This is the IMAX midnight showings giveaway poster for Pacific Rim:

V: Looks like i'm gonna go see this at the IMAX.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 24, 2013

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

Was at a friend's house earlier, and her schtick is to rent seemingly non-offensive Redbox movies on a lazy day and watch them. One of the movies we watched was this:

Which really wasn't a bad straight-to-DVD movie about a work-at-home consumer affairs rep who finds that talking to complete strangers after a misdial is more fun than listening to complete dumbasses chip away at her soul, but she told me I'd like it because it has "that guy from Psych in it" (Dulé Hill). Looking at the cover, it would seem he's a supporting actor, maybe even a love interest of the main actor.

Yeah, supporting actor for about 15 seconds. He calls the rep with a complaint about a bad popcorn maker, and he has like, two lines. "This popcorn maker I bought is burning my popcorn. I hate burnt popcorn!" and then he gets disconnected. Gotta jump on that "hey, it's that familiar face" fad of putting said familiar face front and center of your movie's media, even if they're in it for 10 seconds or so, I guess. Even my friend was like, "Welp, sorry, Elf, the drat cover lied to me :argh:"

I watched that goddamned movie for the same reason, got bored almost immediately, and skipped ahead looking for Guster. I somehow missed him completely and that must be why. It was a dumb movie from what I could gather.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Matlock posted:

It's sort of the intent of the movie.

I'd say a movie drastic example is Terminator 2. Arnie is the bad guy in Terminator 1, and as the movie begins he dons beats the gently caress out of a bunch of dudes and dons some badass bike leather, while Robert Patrick takes the form of a cop and goes looking for John Connor. Up until the showdown at the mall, there's really no indication which terminator is the good guy and which is the bad guy. It's really cool, directorally.

Unfortunately, trailer-wise,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajuMYNYtuY

Oh. Well. :geno:

You could totally cleverly cut a trailer out of like, John and Sarah screaming and Arnie shooting at cops and poo poo and still pull that reveal, but, well. Oh well. Guess not.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

I'd say a movie drastic example is Terminator 2. Arnie is the bad guy in Terminator 1, and as the movie begins he dons beats the gently caress out of a bunch of dudes and dons some badass bike leather, while Robert Patrick takes the form of a cop and goes looking for John Connor. Up until the showdown at the mall, there's really no indication which terminator is the good guy and which is the bad guy. It's really cool, directorally.

I've heard this argument before, but isn't the first thing Robert Patrick does in that movie murder a cop?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I've heard this argument before, but isn't the first thing Robert Patrick does in that movie murder a cop?

Its never shown what he does with the cop.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

You don't see that he kills the cop, just see him do what looks like a punch to the stomachs in a darkly lit environment. Obviously he's stabbing him but it doesn't look that way if you don't necessarily know he's the bad guy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I thought it was hilarious, terrible accent and all.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

I thought it was hilarious, terrible accent and all.

And he only had, like, two lines. Zoe Bell's cameo and Sheriff Whatshisface from every other Tarantino/Rodriguez movie took me out of it way more.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gonz posted:

N: This is the IMAX midnight showings giveaway poster for Pacific Rim:

V: Looks like i'm gonna go see this at the IMAX.
How does somebody in the EU get this. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Zedd posted:

How does somebody in the EU get this. :smith:

Check here: http://www.imax.com/community/blog/category/IMAX%20FANFIX/

See if a theater near you is listed that has the poster.

e: Seems they only list the UK...oops.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 24, 2013