Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

Kingdom Hearts is the dying dream of a Disney-loving boy as his crappy raft sinks into the ocean.

The World Ends with You is the dying dream of a boy who... wait a minute. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Myssu posted:

Basch was the main character in the original design, but that game was nothing like the finished article. The idea was to make a full numbered FF game with gameplay more akin to Vagrant Story - the whole thing taking place in what amounted to a massive dungeon. Obviously this was dropped in what was pretty much a U-turn; instead they decided to make the most "open world" FF to date (not counting FFXI). Much of the inspiration for this was from FFXI, and the main character was dropped at the time in favour of taking a MMO-like "avatar" approach - a mute character who acts as a player proxy to witness events rather than take part in them. This approach to the main character was, in turn, dropped - but the male and female avatar designs were retained in the form of Vaan and Penelo. You can clearly see the original intentions of their characters in their roles in the story, though.

The final product is more of an ensemble cast than any particular main character, imo.

Balthier is clearly the leading man haven't you been listening to a word he's said. :argh:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So is it just me or is Ashe everything Lightning was supposed to be but done right/better?

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So is it just me or is Ashe everything Lightning was supposed to be but done right/better?

No, I liked Ashe far more too.

Now if we can just get FFX/X-2 HD out of the way so we can get to FFXII HD I'll be happy.
I love FFX but some of those character designs you really don't want to see clearly XII is much much better in that respect.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I like to imagine the first cut-scene in Final Fantasy XIII is how they imagined the entire game should be like, then someone died and everything went to hell.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

A whole Final Fantasy world taking place in one massive dungeon? Sounds like XIII to me!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Raziel 0128 posted:

No, I liked Ashe far more too.

Now if we can just get FFX/X-2 HD out of the way so we can get to FFXII HD I'll be happy.
I love FFX but some of those character designs you really don't want to see clearly XII is much much better in that respect.

FF XII HD would also be great because it'd probably be the International Zodiac Job System version. It's tough to go back to the normal version once you're used to IZJS.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nope, you aren't alone. . Ashe is one of the best leads in the series.

I remember a good while back people were talking about part of Light's appeal was that she was the first main female without a love interest. That's total bullshit because Ashe's dead husband doesn't frickin' count. She has absolutely zero in the way of romantic inclinations during the actual game. She was as stong and independent as you can possibly be.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember a good while back people were talking about part of Light's appeal was that she was the first main female without a love interest. That's total bullshit because Ashe's dead husband doesn't frickin' count. She has absolutely zero in the way of romantic inclinations during the actual game. She was as stong and independent as you can possibly be.

Hell, even Terra would count. She talks about "wanting to know what love is," but it's clear by the end that she wasn't looking for a hookup; her motivation becomes taking care of a bunch of orphaned children.

Myssu posted:

Basch was the main character in the original design, but that game was nothing like the finished article. The idea was to make a full numbered FF game with gameplay more akin to Vagrant Story - the whole thing taking place in what amounted to a massive dungeon. Obviously this was dropped in what was pretty much a U-turn; instead they decided to make the most "open world" FF to date (not counting FFXI). Much of the inspiration for this was from FFXI, and the main character was dropped at the time in favour of taking a MMO-like "avatar" approach - a mute character who acts as a player proxy to witness events rather than take part in them. This approach to the main character was, in turn, dropped - but the male and female avatar designs were retained in the form of Vaan and Penelo. You can clearly see the original intentions of their characters in their roles in the story, though.

The final product is more of an ensemble cast than any particular main character, imo.

I guess the question is where this information came from. I have heard so much rumor and hearsay about what FFXII was "supposed" to be like, most of which seems to be rampant speculation echoed around the internet. It seems like Square was extremely tight-lipped about XII's development, and Matsuno's breakdown and leaving the company. I need some proper citations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Lightning does have a much better outfit, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kanfy posted:

FF XII HD would also be great because it'd probably be the International Zodiac Job System version. It's tough to go back to the normal version once you're used to IZJS.

I hope that you get to choose, because while I like the mechanical changes to IZJS, I don't like the Zodiac license boards nearly as much. :ohdear:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mordaedil posted:

I like to imagine the first cut-scene in Final Fantasy XIII is how they imagined the entire game should be like, then someone died and everything went to hell.

XIII is the dying dream of Lightning after she took that huge leap in the beginning of the game and her gravity belt failed to work.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

The World Ends with You is the dying dream of a boy who... wait a minute. :tinfoil:

:aaaaa:

Azure_Horizon posted:

In the first game, at least, her soldier's uniform was better than Ashe's miniskirt. After that...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Azure_Horizon posted:

Lightning has 1 good outfit out of the 10+ she has. On average Lightning has some of the worst designs.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Lightning has 1 good outfit out of the 10+ she has. On average Lightning has some of the worst designs.

B-but Butler outfit!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Their personalities, character arcs, roles in the stories, voice acting, combat style, and basically every aspect of them are nothing alike so no.

One good outfit is still better than Ashe's ridiculous neon-pink miniskirt, which may just flat-out be one of the worst designs in a Final Fantasy game. They didn't even bother to redesign her for the sequel despite Vaan and Basch both getting better designs. (Well, Basch's is debatable.)

NikkolasKing posted:

There are literally scenes of her dead husband's ghost (fake) being used to manipulate Ashe, so this is also not really accurate. Ashe is not a terrible character or anything because of it (her awful outfit aside) but she is strongly defined by her romantic interest even if he's already dead.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 24, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'm still baffled that Ashe's skirt (actually some sort of skort) being pink upsets you SO MUCH that you think it's "one of the worst designs in a Final Fantasy game." It's just a pink skirt. Final Fantasy really has a lot of bafflingly horrible outfits, but I don't think "wearing a pink skirt" is one of them.

But hey, fuckin' opinions, how do they work?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm still baffled that Ashe's skirt (actually some sort of skort) being pink upsets you SO MUCH that you think it's "one of the worst designs in a Final Fantasy game." It's just a pink skirt. Final Fantasy really has a lot of bafflingly horrible outfits, but I don't think "wearing a pink skirt" is one of them.

But hey, fuckin' opinions, how do they work?

It is the sum total of the design, including the fact it doesn't fit at all for the character or setting.

Ashe's basic character concept is that she is a displaced widowed queen fighting a dangerous and draining rebellion again a powerful empire. She is a dignified person struggling with severe personal issues and struggling to be taken seriously and prove her worth.

She dresses like this. She's wearing a neon-pink extra-miniskirt, a bright blue belt, a mini-corset, something I can't even describe around her chest area, and large spikey armored things which inexplicably seem to only cover her lower thighs. (Perhaps that is her most vulnerable area?) She looks like she got dressed by falling into a random wardrobe.

You can't even use the 'well, she's from a desert kingdom, maybe that is how they dress" thing because she stands out even from the NPCs in her own kingdom or from the other characters from her own kingdom. It's just a bad design. She's like the female version of Tidus although at least he has the excuse of being a douchebag sports star and not a displaced tragic queen. Also every single other outfit we see her wearing is basically in a completely different artstyle.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 24, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Only one belt, though. It could have been worse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Only one belt, though. It could have been worse.

There is a belt buckle on the midtorso-only corset but I refuse to look at her midsection or include her in my party due to her design so I can't confirm.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

I refuse to look at her midsection or include her in my party due to her design

It's a rather silly design obviously but uh, that seems a tad extreme. What, do you avert your eyes from her "midsection" every time there's a cutscene or something?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kanfy posted:

It's a rather silly design obviously but uh, that seems a tad extreme. What, do you avert your eyes from her "midsection" every time there's a cutscene or something?
Goons walk down the street with their head covered by a sack lest they be tempted into lust.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I was being hyperbolic about the midsection as a joke since I can't fully make out if thats a belt or not but yes, I benched her because I didn't like her outfit when I played FFXII. If a game makes all the characters equivalent I gravitate to having the ones whose outfits are my favorites/bother me the least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Goons walk down the street with their head covered by a sack lest they be tempted into lust.

Yes, that is completely it. It's lust. I look at that design and I just can't control myself. Nothing gets me hotter than someone who looks like they got dressed by a tornado.

Not to sound like a dick but c'mon. You can dislike an outfit without it being "it's too sexy!" If pure skin showing was the issue, we'd be talking about Fran. Not that Fran doesn't, uh, have problems, but she at least has a slightly more coherent design philosophy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 24, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, that is completely it. It's lust. I look at that design and I just can't control myself. Nothing gets me hotter than someone who looks like they got dressed by a tornado.

Like Tim Gunn and superhero outfits I would pay good money to see Joan Rivers and the cast of Fashion Police break down the outfits of FF games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Like Tim Gunn and superhero outfits I would pay good money to see Joan Rivers and the cast of Fashion Police break down the outfits of FF games.

I am pretty sure you'd have to talk them down from suicide sometime between FFX and FFXII, especially if you included Kingdom Hearts as a FF game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure you'd have to talk them down from suicide sometime between FFX and FFXII, especially if you included Kingdom Hearts as a FF game.

On the other hand, they wouldn't be negatively biased against bizzarre hair-color though so that might help them make it through.

Edit: On second thought the shoe pairings might cause instant hemorraghing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ashe's design looks like one person designed her boots, another person designed her skirt, and yet another person designed her top.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Look, I don't see what the problem is here. Compared to Ashley's assless chaps, Ashe's design is a huge improvement.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

You all missed the biggest problem with her outfit, and that's the socks with the sandals. However the red part looks solid so she took it a step further and wore actual shoes inside sandals.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
FF has a long standing tradition of clownshoe outfits, look at the (terrible, god awful) FF6 character design art.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think my biggest problem with Ashe's design is that her skirt doesn't look like a skirt so much as it looks like two rectangles of pink leather being held in place by a belt. Also, the way it creases in the front makes it kinda look like extremely short shorts.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

A man designed this right? A goony man? Because this is so horrendously tacky that I can't imagine a woman even saw or had input on this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Krad posted:

Look, I don't see what the problem is here. Compared to Ashley's assless chaps, Ashe's design is a huge improvement.

Don't dis the legendary chaps:

Guess that's why they were named "Ashley" and "Ashe" :rimshot:

E:

1st AD posted:

A man designed this right? A goony man? Because this is so horrendously tacky that I can't imagine a woman even saw or had input on this.

Akihiko Yoshida was the character designer for both Final Fantasy XII and Vagrant Story, incidentally.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 24, 2013

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
We should rename the thread title to "Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is a dream." FFVII, Cloud falls off the Mako Reactor and dies. Waking up to meet Aeris(th) is the beginning of his dream.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nickname Pending posted:

We should rename the thread title to "Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is a dream." FFVII, Cloud falls off the Mako Reactor and dies. Waking up to meet Aeris(th) is the beginning of his dream.

Within the story, I believe that is actually the first time Cloud proper surfaces when he mentions remembering scraping his knee so its not actually particularly far fetched to argue that way.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Say what you will about Vaan's weird Aladdin getup or Ashe's skirt thing but Gabranth and all the other judge's armor were cool as gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1st AD posted:

Women are just as capable of tacky character designs, just look at some of the designs from Fate/Extra.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gaseous Snake posted:

Say what you will about Vaan's weird Aladdin getup or Ashe's skirt thing but Gabranth and all the other judge's armor were cool as gently caress.

Must be absolutely stifling in there though. Guess that's why Balthier ran away - how can you swoon the ladies (and men) if you can't show your face?

And count me in in the group that absolutely could not stand Ashe's outfit. I could even get behind Vaan's after a long period of having been subjected to it but there is not a state inebriated enough for me to call Ashe's outfit sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

Noctis Lucis Caelum: A childhood affliction endowed Noctis, heir apparent to the throne of Lucis, with the mystical power to see a heavenly light, through which he could sense others' deaths. Noctis rejects rigid royal conventions and acts as somewhat of a renegade, much to the dismay of those who tend to him. Yet while "Noct" may act brash at times, he does so in defense of those loyal to him.

Gladiolus Amicitia: As lord of the noble House Amicitia, Gladiolus continues a line sworn to protect the crown. "Gladio" shares a friendship with Noctis that transcends birth and title, and his loyalty to his liege is born not of duty, but of brotherhood.

Ignis Scientia: Ever the unwavering voice of reason, Ignis was weaned on shrewd logic and a classical education from boyhood so that he might one day counsel the would-be king, Noctis. He applies the deep mutual understanding and trust they have built over time to help smooth over Noctis's brusqueness with others.

Prompto Argentum: The puckish playboy Prompto befriended Noctis in his school days. He wears a chip on his shoulder as an outsider to the royal circle, but remains eager to do all he can for the cause.

Cor Leonis: A living legend of Lucian lore, Lord Commander Cor Leonis's devotion to the art of war is surpassed only by that to his king. Little love is lost between the ill-starred stalwart and Noctis's retinue, yet honor binds him to keep watch over the group all the same.

They are going all-in on those names.