Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
On the Niva I replaced the radiator hoses and thermostat while giving the grass a nice big drink of ethylene glycol. Also changed the fan belt, and did some treating and sanding of rusty metal on the rear hatch weatherseal bit again. Today I attacked that section with cold gal too.

Yesterday my 3yo boy took it upon himself to do some work too. He found the knackered bodgey Chinese foot pump in the laundry and set to work. He unscrewed a valve cap, put the pump fitting on the valve (letting out a lot of air. The hose is split on the pump). When he was satisfied the job was done he removed the fitting and screwed the cap back on.
I guess he figured because it was making noise like when the compressor tyre inflater is connected it was doing its job.

I have a nicer dual cylinder foot pump I keep in the car, but apparently I'm the only one that can pump it effectively. I do have a little 12v compressor in the shed, but I can't stand the racket it makes. It's already thrown a rod once too, but it was easy enough to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
I finally finished that bitch of an install.

kill me now posted:

Nice, I think I'm gonna go with the Pfadt Tri-Y headers next year when I'm looking for a power bump. I hear they net a bit more torque and have great fit and finish.

Your mufflers are now being controlled by my 2005 standard garage door opener. Button 2 is "I don't want to piss too many people off today." Button 1 is "gently caress EVERY ALARM CLOCK IN THE STATE, I'M HERE BITCHES."

It also no longer chugs when skip shift catches me.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ApathyGifted posted:

I finally finished that bitch of an install.

Your mufflers are now being controlled by my 2005 standard garage door opener. Button 2 is "I don't want to piss too many people off today." Button 1 is "gently caress EVERY ALARM CLOCK IN THE STATE, I'M HERE BITCHES."

It also no longer chugs when skip shift catches me.

you really should do a skip shift fuse, so much less frustrating to drive at slow speeds with it.

Its funny for the first week after I put the bullets on I was a little self conscious about how loud the car was. For some reason it felt louder than my SRT8 had been (it isn't). Now either I've subconsciously stopped giving any fucks or the car just doesn't seem as loud and obnoxious.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I fixed my wideband (LC1) after I noticed the LED wasn't lighting up. The drat add a fuse thing wasn't supplying power through the wire, just through the fuse. I bought 3 of them from summit sometime back and not loving one of them worked. I was using the door lock/dome light fuse and my test light wasn't showing anything out the wire end. :argh:

I tapped into my radio adapter harness and soldered it up, but still can't get the drat thing to log yet. Another day.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I have been fighting my starter all drat day. Frayed and loose connections combined with tight spots = hours of frustration spent on what are theoretically easy fixes. Finally stopped at 1:30 a.m.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
First attempt at leather shifter boot repair:

Before:

After:

I plan on replacing the boot anyway, but I figured I'd at least give it a shot. :unsmith:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Looks like a pretty good job, I'm guessing it's a lot less visible in natural light?

That said, you should totally replace the shifter boot with one made from purple velvet.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Crown royal boot is the best boot. Mostly because you get a bottle of crown royal out of it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Resprayed the tail gate. it was the worst of all the paintwork from where I stupidly tried to scrape the 4.0 emblem off and burnt through the paint.

(I suck at dent repair so I'll just toss a sticker over the hole)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

thelightguy posted:

Crown royal boot is the best boot. Mostly because you get a bottle of crown royal out of it.

Blech. I love Canada but Canada can shove all their Canadian whiskey up their collective Canadian assholes. Do like the bags though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ripped these rusted rear end exhaust pipes out.

https://vine.co/v/hzvOibFm9eI

Broke one bolt on every clamp. One pipe slipped right out of the muffler, the other was rusted right at the joint. The truck makes a more concentrated noise and I added a nice exhaust leak in front of the more difficult side.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Did the clutch MC on the Niva. In theory a dead easy job. In practice an utter prick because of the way everything is crammed into the right side of the bay for RHD vehicles. Done now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You say that like clutch masters aren't crammed up into the dashboard's grundle on vehicles with the steering wheel on the as-originally-designed side, too. I've had some real bad times trying to get the stupid bitch-clips automakers universally use off of the clutch MC/pedal peg on a variety of vehicles. Everyone has their own horrible design and they all suck.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

You say that like clutch masters aren't crammed up into the dashboard's grundle on vehicles with the steering wheel on the as-originally-designed side, too. I've had some real bad times trying to get the stupid bitch-clips automakers universally use off of the clutch MC/pedal peg on a variety of vehicles. Everyone has their own horrible design and they all suck.

I really hate to break it to you, but this really was different. But because the manifolds / carb / lots of hoses / brake MC / steering box were all crammed into a small space (the engine is offset to the right too) it was an utter prick to reach one of the nuts.

I took a few photos that will be in my thread. Clips? Doing stuff in the cab? Nope. jealous?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

KozmoNaut posted:

Looks like a pretty good job, I'm guessing it's a lot less visible in natural light?

Amazingly enough, I think it worked out just fine:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, that seemed to work really well, it's only a slight texture mismatch, probably unnoticeable unless you know it's there.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Root Bear posted:

Amazingly enough, I think it worked out just fine:

I don't recognize that stack. What kind of car?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

Looks like late Pontiac -- either GTO or G8?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gotta be a GTO, there are only controls for two power windows.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Holden Monaro?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I see a glovebox on the right, ergo LHD = GTO.

You're technically right, though.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

blk posted:

2004 Pontiac GTO

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well I was going to repair the exhaust leak behind the cab - then I decided 'gently caress that'. The muffler is bent/broken/geometrically failed in a bizzare way, so I instead bent the mounting hardware to get it off of the parking brake cable. I figure I'll just replace it with something new and louder when I have the cashflow and have some tailpipes made up.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Swapped water pumps on the yj. Didn't make a single difference about over heating. Kastein is convinced its a lovely fan setup and I'm starting to think its a head or head gasket, since it does it at 45mph too.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

What I did to my ride the past three days: drove her the farthest she's ever been from home.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

MiniFoo posted:

What I did to my ride the past three days: drove her the farthest she's ever been from home.

ENHANCE. hey, it doesn't work. Where is that?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ozmiander posted:

Swapped water pumps on the yj. Didn't make a single difference about over heating. Kastein is convinced its a lovely fan setup and I'm starting to think its a head or head gasket, since it does it at 45mph too.

...air escaping from the upper radiator hose. FML.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

General_Failure posted:

ENHANCE. hey, it doesn't work. Where is that?

http://goo.gl/maps/DqPma

Here's the full resolution, since the imgur function in the Awful App resized it:

http://i.imgur.com/FX2Vrxg.jpg

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

kill me now posted:

you really should do a skip shift fuse, so much less frustrating to drive at slow speeds with it.

Its funny for the first week after I put the bullets on I was a little self conscious about how loud the car was. For some reason it felt louder than my SRT8 had been (it isn't). Now either I've subconsciously stopped giving any fucks or the car just doesn't seem as loud and obnoxious.

I just ordered a skip shift fuse along with the O2 sensor extensions, and some LED replacements for the hood and trunk lights because the stock yellow things are just useless.

I haven't been self conscious about the volume, but I do have quiet mode at the touch of a button, and it does stay on quiet the vast majority of the time (no drone in quiet mode.).

Any time I find myself at a stop sign with no houses nearby though...

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Yeah even when I had the npp I just ran with the fuse pulled for it so it was kind of a waste. If the open was louder I may have just bought a m2w switch or something so I could have the option.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Had a Eurocode Alu Kreuz Drivetrain Stabilizer installed on my S4 today. It's a single billet aluminum piece that replaces a stock part that is made up of nine small pieces welded together. It helps stiffen the front end and make turn-in much more crisp. It's like adding a second sway bar up front.

I had one on my first S4, but didn't have the car long enough to notice a huge change when I had it installed. The new S4 just hit 4,000 miles, and the difference after installing the alu kreuz was immediately noticeable. I highly recommend it to anyone with a compatible Audi. It's such a pretty piece that it's a shame that you never see it once it's installed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You could park on ramps and install mirrors on the floor?

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Poisonlizard posted:

Saturday:

(yea the flash sucked, and it's dirty. Spent the week on site with a grand caravan.)
Sunday:

1700 miles and this happens. Completely sick to my stomach.
Didn't see an suv coming down the lane in a parking lot (apparently racing to get to the drive).
Side curtains went off on that side, and the belt tensioners are all locked. Feels like the right tie rods are bent, it pulls pretty good.
On the plus side, it shut itself off, turned on the emergency flashers and dialed 911 before I could do more than pull the parking brake.

It's fixable, but it was a parking lot accident. No assigned blame, and no tickets. I'm sure I'll be paying my deductible, then waiting to see how much insurance goes up. Not sure how I'll survive without it while it's getting fixed. Will drive the truck this week ($$$$), and see about a rental next week.

Ah, I spend enough time looking at salvage cars where I live to know that would most likely be a write-off. Ouch.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You could park on ramps and install mirrors on the floor?

Even then, it's covered by plastic underbelly pans. At least I know it's there. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DropShadow posted:

Even then, it's covered by plastic underbelly pans. At least I know it's there. :allears:

You should've taken a picture of it installed before you put the pans back on, printed it out ans stuck it on your desk.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

MiniFoo posted:

http://goo.gl/maps/DqPma

Here's the full resolution, since the imgur function in the Awful App resized it:

http://i.imgur.com/FX2Vrxg.jpg

That road looks really good for a long haul. I like the scenery too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tried to suspend OnStar for a couple of months since I'm between jobs.

They asked why I wanted to suspend the service, I told them. They gave me 3 months free instead. V:v:V

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 28, 2013

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nope, its still overheating at highway speeds.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My wife called me at 2pm and said her car was dead, battery light was on, and AC wasn't blowing. Smelled like catastrophic belt failure so I left work, bought two new belts, ran by the house to get my tools and work a shirt, and got work done. The pavement had to be well over 150 because the air temp was 105. 300,000 miles on the stock head gasket, axles, and transaxle and the only problem I've ever had with it is the occasional belt failure and a disentigrating factory airbox (hence the autozone cold air intake). I'm replacing it with an IS250 very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah those airboxes are poo poo. Mine had a little 2-inch snorkel pointing towards the hole that leads down into the fender, drat thing broke off a while back.

Also doing that alternator belt is a pain in the rear end. I like how they made it so you can almost get the alternator loose from above, but then buried the nut for the pivot polt back underneath the intake mani so you have to go at it from underneath.