Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

NewtGoongrich posted:

Badbad is downright good compared to Homncruse. Yes, Homncruse. I always pronounced it "Hom-Nee-Crews" when I was a kid.

In hindsight, it was probably meant to be "Homunculus", which is still a pretty weird name for a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Thuryl posted:

In hindsight, it was probably meant to be "Homunculus", which is still a pretty weird name for a villain.

Nah, some Japanese dude just really hates American actors but the director said "no dude you can't just name the villain 'Tom Cruise'"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I remember the issue of GamePro containing their Tecmo's Secret of the Stars review also had a Lufia 2 review, and a Chrono Trigger guide. That is what they released its plotless 8-bit rear end against.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Was Secret of the stars an actual sci-fi rpg, or was it yet another instance of the game either having nothing to do with space or Claude C. Kenni spending five seconds aboard a spaceship before crash landing into a rural rpg town and picking up a sword?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

GulagDolls posted:

Was Secret of the stars an actual sci-fi rpg, or was it yet another instance of the game either having nothing to do with space or Claude C. Kenni spending five seconds aboard a spaceship before crash landing into a rural rpg town and picking up a sword?

There's an out of place plane in Secret of the Stars. It's not actually intended to be a Sci-Fi RPG though. Also, even if it was, there is literally no plot or character development, so it would be impossible to find out.

Oh hey, here's a town where there's a lot of boxes. Oh hey, here's an Oasis town. Oh hey, here's a town that was nuked by Homncruse for no reason. Oh hey, here's a town with an evil giant.

The game is god awful. That said, I'm going to do my best to finish it this August.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

NewtGoongrich posted:

Oh hey, here's a town where there's a lot of boxes.

It's named Box Town. You fight a boxing match there. Later in your grown-up team can recruit a boxer.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

The White Dragon posted:

No way, SMRPG has always been miles ahead of every Paper Mario game. Put together. Seriously just play it.

I would really like to know your reasoning for this. The Paper Mario games (ESPECIALLY Thousand Year Door) are some of the most charming and memorable games I've ever played (well, excepting the mediocrity that is Sticker Star) and SMRPG, while it is an enjoyable game and worth playing regardless, is just Final Fantasy with Mario characters slapped almost seemingly last minute and the anime meter jacked up higher than usual. Not much is particularly memorable about it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Have you played many Final Fantasys? Because SMRPG doesn't really play or look like any of them. Sure there are some similarities and references, it was made by Square after all, but I always thought it did a great job of balancing the Mario flavor with the FF stuff. That was the best thing about it, it took two developers who were really hot at the time and made a game that I thought played to both of their strengths. Plus I'll take SMRPG's funny charades over Paper Mario's :words: any day. By comparison pretty much everything after was just a standard Nintendo affair, which I liked for some of the games, but none of them were able to combine Mario and RPG poo poo nearly as well as SMRPG did. IMO: SMRPG>Mario and Luigi>Paper Mario.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Mario RPG isn't really Final Fantasy at all. The plot is super-light and silly with a heavy emphasis on cartoonish antics and silly jokes. The combat and platforming are both much more "convert Mario to RPG" than "Final Fantasy with action commands."

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

voltron lion force posted:

IMO: SMRPG>Mario and Luigi>Paper Mario.

What is WRONG with you?! How dare you critizise Paper Mario like that! Fight me IRL <:mad:>

...though, honestly, I have no idea what the developers were thinking with Sticker Star. It's incredibly charming, has beautiful effects, and some fun dungeons... But HEY, you know what made Paper Mario so great? All the character interaction! Let's throw all of that out guys! :downs:
I can only imagine they were told to make it more like the New Super Mario Bros. series, which would explain why there's only the usual Mario enemies around. Oh well. Here's hope they'll go back to more charming NPC chit-chat next game, and a less insanely broken battle system.

Mario & Luigi may be great, but it's not nearly as charming as Paper Mario, AND it relied too much on techniques you only need for specific spots. Also, Partners in Time had nice boss fights, but was incredibly tedious and same-y otherwise.

I've never played SMRPG, though. I want to try it some day, but I'm always put off by its look...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

it was made by Square after all, but I always thought it did a great job of balancing the Mario flavor with the FF stuff. That was the best thing about it, it took two developers who were really hot at the time and made a game that I thought played to both of their strengths.

Now I'm curious to see what would have happened if Square continued to make Mario RPGs but took them in Kingdom Hearts' direction.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turns out a game called Time and Eternity is out in Europe on Friday. I like to think I'm up on obscure JRPG's but I've never heard of it before, anyone know anything about it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Now I'm curious to see what would have happened if Square continued to make Mario RPGs but took them in Kingdom Hearts' direction.
Super Paper Mario came pretty close, plot-wise.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sakurazuka posted:

Turns out a game called Time and Eternity is out in Europe on Friday. I like to think I'm up on obscure JRPG's but I've never heard of it before, anyone know anything about it?

Search for "Toki to wa". It's supposedly really bad.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sakurazuka posted:

I just looked it up and it looks like for battles they have just made interactive anime clips rather than create character models or anything like that. It looks terrible and anime as gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I just looked it up and it looks like for battles they have just made interactive anime clips rather than create character models or anything like that. It looks terrible and anime as gently caress
It is literally an anime. Final Fantasy is an anime. All JRPGs are an anime. Everything you love is an anime. You, are an anime.

That said it does look like a pretty bad game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sakurazuka posted:

It was a JRPG that wanted to be completely done using hand drawn animations. They released no videos of it for like a year, and then when they did it became really obvious the price of all hand drawn meant a limited number of frames. Thus the animation looks really choppy everywhere.

Never played it personally but the couple second hand reports I heard were extremely negative.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

Why is an interactive anime clip somehow worse than character models?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

GulagDolls posted:

The scenery isn't so it looks horrible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Because they did it the expensive early 90s way and didn't have enough money to get a decent framerate and/or very many animations to work with.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Have you played many Final Fantasys? Because SMRPG doesn't really play or look like any of them.

All of them pretty much. Maybe comparing to Dragon Quest would've been better.

My point was that SMRPG doesn't feel very unique now that Paper Mario is a thing. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that SMRPG is incredibly generic and not really memorable. It's not about the gags and humor, but the characters and settings themselves. Honestly I think Thousand Year Door is on par, if not better than Mother 3 about this.

quote:

IMO: SMRPG>Mario and Luigi>Paper Mario.

You have no soul.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Because they did it the expensive early 90s way and didn't have enough money to get a decent framerate and/or very many animations to work with.

Sounds like all rpgs I have ever played.

quote:

In fact, I'll go as far as to say that SMRPG is incredibly generic and not really memorable. It's not about the gags and humor, but the characters and settings themselves.

What games have you played are so much like SMRPG that you would call it generic? where are they? where are these fabulous games?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

GulagDolls posted:

Because it looks like absolute poo poo, go and watch a video of it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

In fact, I'll go as far as to say that SMRPG is incredibly generic and not really memorable. It's not about the gags and humor, but the characters and settings themselves.

Eh, I don't know the gags are really the best part of any Mario story IMO. Like the settings are never that interesting in any Mario game, and the characters are often endearing because of the gags.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Honestly I think Thousand Year Door is on par, if not better than Mother 3 about this.

Ok, well now you're just crazy talkin'.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thousand Year Door is pretty great, but I think I would throw my hat in for SMRPG as well. I loved that game so much. As for Mario & Luigi, it would probably depend on which one you're talking about. I would probably place Bowser's Inside Story almost on the same tier as TYD and SMRPG, but the original M&L while good isn't quite up there. I never even bothered with Partners In Time.

It's kind of amazing that there have been so many good Mario RPGs.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've heard a lot of terrible stuff about Toki no Towa. Some of the cel shaded models look fairly cool but the game looks very janky and devoid of much in the way of decent mechanics, and everything I've heard bears that impression out.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Because it looks like absolute poo poo, go and watch a video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlr6IwjfVio

It looks like an early 90's laserdisc arcade game. Complete with a buzzing noise when attacks miss like you hear when you pick the wrong input in Dragon's Lair.

Kaneda215
Apr 6, 2006

Lost is crazy... Kate is hot
I'm about 10 hours into FFXIII and I cannot go any further.

I used to be a massive fan of RPGs (VII, IX, Chrono Cross, etc.) and haven't tried one in almost a decade. I thought I'd give a newer one a try and the voice acting is making the game unbearable. In addition, the battle system in this game IMO, is way too easy. I literally put the controller down and keep mashing the X button. I'm sure if I had given it more time I would have seen improvements, but the voice acting and the fact that there are more cut scenes than game-play make it unplayable.

Any recommendations for the PS3 if we really enjoyed the challenge/in depth story/interesting characters (IMO) in the RPGs of the past? No voice acting is essential as well.

Thanks and I mean no offense to anyone that has enjoyed XIII.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The most recent generation has been pretty light on console RPGs. The best experiences were on handhelds. I am pretty sure, too, that everything of note has voice acting these days.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaneda215 posted:

Any recommendations for the PS3 if we really enjoyed the challenge/in depth story/interesting characters (IMO) in the RPGs of the past? No voice acting is essential as well.
There aren't any. I mean, I was going to say Ni No Kuni, since it's incredible. Or at least something like Valkyria Chronicles or Resonance of Fate, which are good enough (RoF is way worse, though)... but voice acting.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you have a PSP, pick up Trails in the Sky.

If you have a Wii, pick up The Last Story and/or Xenoblade.

If you have a 360, pick up Tales of Vesperia and/or Lost Odyssey.

If none of these are an option, well. Ni No Kuni works, yeah. Tales of Graces f is good in the gameplay department but utterly fails in the story and halfway fails in the character part. Resonance of Fate is interesting but not something I'd recommend if you haven't played JRPGs in a while. Valkyria Chronicles is a fantastic game, but not really a JRPG. You could wait for Tales of Xillia later this year, too.

Trails in the Sky has no voice acting. The rest should all have options to disable it if it *really* bothers you, although I wouldn't recommend it for most of them. Especially the two Wii ones have excellent VA.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you have a DS, I would recommend Radiant Historia. If you have a 3DS, Shin Megami Tensei 4 is coming out real soon. If you have a PSP, try Persona 3 Portable, and if you have a Vita, Persona 4 Golden. The Persona games are more challenging than your average JRPG without being overbearing and generally have compelling storylines and characters. They are pretty much anime incarnate though, so you need to tolerate that. They also have voice acting that is generally good but there's an annoying character or two per game. You can just turn down voice volume to 0 if you're super sensitive to that. Shin Megami Tensei is more like the Dark Souls of JRPGs in some ways. Difficult challenges that can't be overcome by grinding alone but need sound tactical approaches, along with what's typically a pretty dark, oppressive post-apocalyptic atmosphere. SMT4 isn't out yet, so I can't say if it will stay true to that or not. They also generally have fairly interesting plots with actual player choice affecting certain things.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 26, 2013

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kaneda215 posted:

Resonance of Fate, it's cheap, it's different, and it's like a breath of fresh air in terms of mechanics and stupid complicated bullshittery.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Resonance of fate was really easy and repetitive up to the point I stopped playing. Once a couple pieces of the combat system fall into place you just start repeating the same thing over and over.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Poe posted:

It looks like an early 90's laserdisc arcade game. Complete with a buzzing noise when attacks miss like you hear when you pick the wrong input in Dragon's Lair.

Holy poo poo, just loving die already

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Poe posted:

I got my hands on this for like, 15 minutes while at E3. What this combat video is missing is any sort of UI whatsoever - I fought a giant boss, and needed to pull of a string of different attacks to dizzy it, then speed up time in order to rapidly attack it while it was dizzied and defeat it. Now I don't remember it exactly, as I picked up the controller in the middle of combat, but there was a lot more to combat than this video would suggest - a number of different attacks, speeding up and slowing time, magic abilities, that sort of thing. There's also two levels of distance from the enemy that, I think, affects your attacks, and also you can dodge their attacks if you time it right.

No idea if the game is actually any good; probably not.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

dis astranagant posted:

Resonance of fate was really easy and repetitive up to the point I stopped playing. Once a couple pieces of the combat system fall into place you just start repeating the same thing over and over.
On Imp's suggestion I went and finished this game and then restarted on a much harder difficulty and it really is a much better game after that. It's a complete shame they didn't give the difficulty options from the start.

Also a complete shame that PSN saves are DRM'ed or whatever the gently caress, so you can't really just get a clear save to unlock difficulty select.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If I have to slog through the whole drat thing just to unlock something worth playing I'm just going to write off the whole ordeal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

If I have to slog through the whole drat thing just to unlock something worth playing I'm just going to write off the whole ordeal.

Honestly, rent it and play the first few fights. Everything in the game is unlocked to start and every battle will be the same techniques over and over and over again until the game ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I bought it a couple years back, played to about chapter 10 and sold it for being boring.