Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DeimosRising posted:

Hey be fair, any time it comes up at least a few people point out that it's actually awful, ugly, and unfunny with a dumb message and a lot of incoherent imagery.

So you are so wrong it's not even funny speaking of ugly movies, I watched the first vignette of V/H/S tonight. It was okay and passed some time, but it kind of seems like "douchebags: the movie". I guess I'll watch more tomorrow. My standards are pretty low and I love horror short stories, so I figure I'll get through it fine. Don't know if I'd recommend it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

Hey be fair, any time it comes up at least a few people point out that it's actually awful, ugly, and unfunny with a dumb message and a lot of incoherent imagery.

It seemed like an interesting idea, but they shot their load like ten minutes in. And then the rest of the movie is just waiting for a reveal that... has already been revealed. I didn't get it. :confused:

And then people decide to be spitefully selfish and then a giant PS1-era CGI hand goes "woosh!"

e: Some jokes were great though, I had a big laugh at the board. "Witches" "SEXY witches." It wasn't a bad film but it fumbled weirdly. It could have been good and instead it drags even during action scenes. It reminded me of Slither, in a way (down to bad CGI) but I preferred Slither quite a lot.

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 24, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oh cool, time for another 3 page Joss Whedon argument.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Whedon more like Whedon't.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pick posted:

It seemed like an interesting idea, but they shot their load like ten minutes in. And then the rest of the movie is just waiting for a reveal that... has already been revealed. I didn't get it. :confused:

And then people decide to be spitefully selfish and then a giant PS1-era CGI hand goes "woosh!"

e: Some jokes were great though, I had a big laugh at the board. "Witches" "SEXY witches." It wasn't a bad film but it fumbled weirdly. It could have been good and instead it drags even during action scenes. It reminded me of Slither, in a way (down to bad CGI) but I preferred Slither quite a lot.

I enjoyed cabin in the woods well enough but it does have its share of problems, mainly the Whedon standard issue of not being willing to take its premise as far as it could go and weirdly pervasive reddity nerd hangups, but that's neither here nor there. It also felt like the movie was setting up an entirely different resolution and then took a left turn into sociopathy at the end for no real reason.

Still, from my admittedly philistinic position, it was fun to watch on a superficial level, pretty much like everything else Whedon has ever done.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So the 1967 Spiderman cartoon expires July 1st. Right when I start watching this wonderful, wonderful thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgjH8jnXSoA

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Eddie Murphy: Raw is available, glad to see it on Instant. It's really interesting, not only because it's Eddie at his best and brightest, but because of how "raw" and unrefined the stand-up back in the 1987 really was. Gives an interesting perspective on life in the city in the 80s.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 24, 2013

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Christopher Walken living with The Simpsonsin a dramatic role post-1980s? It happened, and now it's on Netflix.

Now I have no excuse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Discount Viscount posted:

Christopher Walken living with The Simpsonsin a dramatic role post-1980s? It happened, and now it's on Netflix.

Now I have no excuse.

Ohhhh, this looks really good! Added.

Also, nthing the recommendations for Warrior. God drat, what a film. It opens with one of the best/most sad National songs and Nick Nolte. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I have a question about the Jamie Kennedy documentary Heckler: Am I meant to take it seriously or as a joke? I honestly don't know, but I am confident that it fails badly in either case.

As much as I can tell, the parts about how it's crappy to yell poo poo at comedians while their performing are presented in earnest, but the parts with Jamie defending his films against people who were mean to him on the internet are meant to be a gag. He comes across as so gross and whiny during those parts that it just frigging has to be a joke, but something tells me he's being serious.

If you do opt to watch it (don't), keep an eye out for somethingawful.com's own Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka getting beat up by Uwe Boll.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

I have a question about the Jamie Kennedy documentary Heckler: Am I meant to take it seriously or as a joke?(...)
Check out Kennedys' E3-routine on youtube and his remarks/comments about it in old news-articles.(Yes he really is that whiny and bitchy).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DangerDummy! posted:

I have a question about the Jamie Kennedy documentary Heckler: Am I meant to take it seriously or as a joke? I honestly don't know, but I am confident that it fails badly in either case.

As much as I can tell, the parts about how it's crappy to yell poo poo at comedians while their performing are presented in earnest, but the parts with Jamie defending his films against people who were mean to him on the internet are meant to be a gag. He comes across as so gross and whiny during those parts that it just frigging has to be a joke, but something tells me he's being serious.

If you do opt to watch it (don't), keep an eye out for somethingawful.com's own Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka getting beat up by Uwe Boll.

The highlight of that turd is definitely Roeper showing up for like 40 seconds and owning Jamie Kennedy.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

The highlight of that turd is definitely Roeper showing up for like 40 seconds and owning Jamie Kennedy.

I dunno, the bit where he does the Spock fingers in that one dude's face for about a minute was what really shone through for me.

The only person who comes across as more of a cock in that whole movie was that lovely blogger who called him a "rape baby" and was happy to have hurt his feelings. What a bad movie. I only reckoned it was meant to be a troll because they showed about a dozen clips of him on stage and he did not manage to be funny a single time, and I can't imagine anyone trying to mount an honest defense for Son of the Mask. I only give him a pass on Malibu's Most Wanted because it was a vanity project, no matter how unfunny it was.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

DangerDummy! posted:

As much as I can tell, the parts about how it's crappy to yell poo poo at comedians while their performing are presented in earnest,
This is what I was lead to believe the whole movie was going to be, and I really liked this part. I am endlessly fascinated by how different comedians handle hecklers.

But then yes the rest of the movie turns into a self indulgent whiny mess. Is it really that hard for him to accept how random anonymous people will say unkind things about your (mostly awful) work online? The "rape baby" guy was a terrible human being, but he's so obvious a troll, why even give him any attention?

Power of Pecota posted:

This almost made it worth it, and the fact that he left it in the movie almost led me to believe that Jamie Kennedy might actually have a sense of humor about the whole thing. Who knows maybe it is some meta commentary on trolling, if so trap sprung I guess? Either way the last half is painful to watch, but there is some good stuff in the beginning about on stage heckling. They play a couple of the infamous heckler management videos, if you've never seen them online.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The episode of Louie where he deals with a heckler is pretty amazing. Season 1 episode 6, or available on youtube even:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRNCk3YwqE

priznat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 25, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Heckler good to watch and make fun of, though? "So bad it's good", if you will?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

I dunno, the bit where he does the Spock fingers in that one dude's face for about a minute was what really shone through for me.

The only person who comes across as more of a cock in that whole movie was that lovely blogger who called him a "rape baby" and was happy to have hurt his feelings. What a bad movie. I only reckoned it was meant to be a troll because they showed about a dozen clips of him on stage and he did not manage to be funny a single time, and I can't imagine anyone trying to mount an honest defense for Son of the Mask. I only give him a pass on Malibu's Most Wanted because it was a vanity project, no matter how unfunny it was.

And the first couple of drafts were written by Nick Swardson, to which Kennedy et al jumped on. So that might explain why it was relatively funny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I've been trolling through my Instant Que trying to clear out stuff I added over a year ago or more. I started watching the original British Touching Evil tonight. Usually when a show is adapted to a US version the result is dreadful but in this case it's not so. While I am enjoying this the short lived USA version that starred Jeffery Donovan and Vera Farmiga is far superior. And it's a crime that the USA version isn't available to stream.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

precision posted:

Is Heckler good to watch and make fun of, though? "So bad it's good", if you will?

Yes? It's pretty cringe worthy for all the reasons previously mentioned. It's entertaining to watch if you enjoy watching someone almost bereft of comic ability laboring under some pretty heavy delusions (for the record, I liked Scream and Scream 2, and I thought Kennedy was a pretty big part of that, and JKX was... okay for what it was). If, as other people have said, Jamie Kennedy thinks his work is not worthy of at least some mockery, then I don't know what to tell you. If he's poking fun at himself a bit, then he just does a really poo poo job of it, and it makes Pauly Shore is Dead look like Curb Your Enthusiasm.

There's at least some good stuff to be had from it. There's a pretty cute heckler story from Louie Anderson. There are some awfully talented people involved, even if most of what's shown is only furthering Jamie's "people are so mean" agenda. Like, the only person who seems to outright say that you should just get over it is Joe Rogan, whom I cannot stand, but at least it's a bit of a dissenting point of view. The stuff about jackasses yelling poo poo out during comedy shows is at least germane to the point of the whole thing. Plus, Lowtax and the infamous Uwe Boll boxing match get a bit of screen time.

If the topic is at least some interest to you, then why not give it a try? There aren't any other docs on the topic that I know of, even if this one is a misfire. Just be prepared to have an opinion of Jamie Kennedy if you didn't already have one, and know that it'll most likely be very negative.

Seriously, I mentioned it before, but I almost stopped it during the whole Spock fingers schtick. Douche chills.

Speaking of show biz documentaries, there are two up in full on youtube that I like very much. I'm From Hollywood, about Andy Kaufman's foray into pro wrestling, and Hated, Todd Phillips's doc about GG loving Allin. They're not perfect, but they're pretty drat good and informative if you care about either subject.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DangerDummy! posted:

Speaking of show biz documentaries, there are two up in full on youtube that I like very much. I'm From Hollywood, about Andy Kaufman's foray into pro wrestling, and Hated, Todd Phillips's doc about GG loving Allin. They're not perfect, but they're pretty drat good and informative if you care about either subject.

You're wrong, actually, both are two of the most perfect documentaries ever made.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

priznat posted:

The episode of Louie where he deals with a heckler is pretty amazing. Season 1 episode 6, or available on youtube even:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRNCk3YwqE

Oh my GOD the way he sums it all up on the backend - that's why I don't play music live anymore.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Just signed up for a streaming account. Netflix is kinda awesome! I wanna know how netflix's business is run because there's a lot of great stuff that's on instant and you'd think the companies offering their stuff would be getting next to no money.

(nextflix isn't technically available in my country but let's not tell anyone)

You Americans are spoiled for choice. Any good recommendations for a netflix newbie?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just noticed that Who Framed Roger Rabbit is now on instant streaming, you should watch that because it's really great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Who Framed Roger Rabbit probably has the best special effects ever in a film. They are timeless and pretty much perfect.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

cat doter posted:

I wanna know how netflix's business is run because there's a lot of great stuff that's on instant and you'd think the companies offering their stuff would be getting next to no money.

Netflix is actually paying the studios a metric gently caress-ton of cash for their content. Whent Netflix first started, it was actually relatively cheap for them, because studios are stupid and thought that no one would want to watch non-first-run films. Once Netflix started to put every movie rental business in the country soundly out of business, the studios clued in and now demand princely sums for their digital catalogues.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit probably has the best special effects ever in a film. They are timeless and pretty much perfect.

Yeah, it's essentially flawless. Also it's a really good movie.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just noticed that Who Framed Roger Rabbit is now on instant streaming, you should watch that because it's really great.

Ready for next movie night!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Netflix is actually paying the studios a metric gently caress-ton of cash for their content. Whent Netflix first started, it was actually relatively cheap for them, because studios are stupid and thought that no one would want to watch non-first-run films. Once Netflix started to put every movie rental business in the country soundly out of business, the studios clued in and now demand princely sums for their digital catalogues.

On the movie side, I think a lot of the stuff that gets our attention is just small distributors making direct deals with Netflix.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

smackfu posted:

On the movie side, I think a lot of the stuff that gets our attention is just small distributors making direct deals with Netflix.

Everything Drafthouse Films has picked up has ended up on Instant so far.

Klown
Miami Connection
The FP
Bullhead
Four Lions
The Ambassador

I'm waiting anxiously for Graceland and Pieta

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yessssssss. That's so awesome. Can't wait to watch this over and over again until I buy the blu-ray.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

poo poo yes, this is basically my favorite movie.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tatum Girlparts posted:

poo poo yes, this is basically my favorite movie.
Forcing my two boys to watch it right now. I took over Adventure Time, and said, "we are going to watch TRUE CINEMA NOW."

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I just watched The ABCs of Death and most of the shorts are garbage. Like, almost all of them. Ti West's "contribution" is shockingly lazy, it's like he forgot he signed up to do it and shot it one morning with his home video camera and his girlfriend before going back to the bong. Congrats, I guess, to L is for Libido for being the hollowest, nastiest piece of poo poo I've seen in a while. It's like A Serbian Film but with absolutely nothing to say.

The ones I liked are D,I,R, and T.
And Q and K, but those didn't fit in with that acronym thing I had going.

So, yeah. I enjoyed 6 out of 26 shorts. Not a good ratio.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

WatermelonGun posted:

I just watched The ABCs of Death and most of the shorts are garbage. Like, almost all of them. Ti West's "contribution" is shockingly lazy, it's like he forgot he signed up to do it and shot it one morning with his home video camera and his girlfriend before going back to the bong. Congrats, I guess, to L is for Libido for being the hollowest, nastiest piece of poo poo I've seen in a while. It's like A Serbian Film but with absolutely nothing to say.

The ones I liked are D,I,R, and T.
And Q and K, but those didn't fit in with that acronym thing I had going.

So, yeah. I enjoyed 6 out of 26 shorts. Not a good ratio.

I just watched this the other day myself, and as a little bit of advice to anyone else who has been curious about it (I've wanted to see it for a few months now): Don't bother. For every almost-decent short (D, I, T, V) there's...some girls getting sucked into a fart (I wouldn't dare lie about a thing like that).

Then I watched Trapped Ashes, which features flesh-eating tits. Thanks, Netflix. Quality entertainment.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just watched ABC's of Death last night too. Overall the the whole thing was pretty amateurish, even for 5 minute segments with low budgets. O definitely had some style and was shot decent, but that was a little too arty for this sort of collection. I thought Z was cool just because of how insane it was, the whole time I just have my mouth hanging open going ".... what the gently caress am I watching?!?"

V/H/S definitely did the modern cheap anthology thing better.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mt. Modular posted:

I just watched this the other day myself, and as a little bit of advice to anyone else who has been curious about it (I've wanted to see it for a few months now): Don't bother. For every almost-decent short (D, I, T, V) there's...some girls getting sucked into a fart (I wouldn't dare lie about a thing like that).

Then I watched Trapped Ashes, which features flesh-eating tits. Thanks, Netflix. Quality entertainment.

I heard ABCs of Death wasn't very good so I was expecting to hate it but I thought it was fun enough. Some good, most mediocre, and a few shockingly bad (F and M come to mind) segments, but it's a quick watch.

Maybe stay away if you're not a horror fan, though. Also be drunk.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I'm watching now and noticing how the toons look like projected film. How'd they get this staggered parallel framerate effect?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's probably a great idea!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Everything Drafthouse Films has picked up has ended up on Instant so far.

Klown
Miami Connection
The FP
Bullhead
Four Lions
The Ambassador

I'm waiting anxiously for Graceland and Pieta

I've heard Four Lions is good, should I watch that?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yes. Four Lions is incredible. Watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mescal posted:

I'm watching now and noticing how the toons look like projected film. How'd they get this staggered parallel framerate effect?
I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about, but since toons are drawn by hand they can give them whatever frame rate they want.

• Locked thread