Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I already know how Homestuck will end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Color Printer posted:

How did I not see this until now?!?!?!? :aaaaa:

Of course I see now that the last one-eyed card is the King of Diamonds. I wonder if that will ever come to mean anything. (It could easily mean the Black King of the B1 session but ehhh)

Actually, if any other card references were going to pop up besides one-eyed jacks, I'd hope for suicide kings.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

If you kinda read between the lines, it already has. Dirk, the Prince of Heart(s) has already killed himself, almost killed a copy of himself, and will probably will try again with a sword.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I kind of really want to know what HIC has planned for the trolls. Kanaya, OK yeah she's important to keep around to take care of the orb. But Terezi and especially Karkat? As much as Meenah likes nubs mcshouty, HIC herself didn't exactly have the best response to the last Cancer troll she met.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 24, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WhiffleballDude posted:

I have no idea where the Jacks all fit into this quite frankly.

Jack Classic's case is weird because he spent so long as THE Big Bad. He was the cause (or effect; sometimes both) of pretty much every single major problem in the story in A4 and A5A2. Then he actually goes and DESTROYS THE UNIVERSE. But then he gets a little pre-occupied and has his spot as the Final Boss taken by a green rear end in a top hat in a technicolor nightmarecoat and his two god-cronies.

Spades on the other hand has always been an ornery, impatient, stab-happy rear end in a top hat but he never did anything outright evil or villainous. He never got the chance. He got exiled after allying with the Trolls against the Black Queen, and the Midnight Crew were only ever shown raiding English's mansion and killing Felt. He's about as noble as Jacks get, which is to say he didn't kill his objects of hatred early so he always had someone to focus it on instead of randomly stabbing everyone in sight like Jack Classic.

Then there's Jack English and I just don't even know WHAT the gently caress is up with him.

I've said it before, but I believe that Bec Noir and PM will wind up being Caliborn's parents.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Bobulus posted:

Actually, if any other card references were going to pop up besides one-eyed jacks, I'd hope for suicide kings.

That's the Queen of Spades stabbin' him. Look at the cuff designs.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Speaking of the many Jack Noirs, do we know anything about the pre-scratch troll's version of Jack Noir/Spades Slick? I figured he had a passing mention in one of the Openbounds, but I could be mistaken.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I kind of really want to know what HIC has planned for the trolls. Kanaya, OK yeah she's important to keep around to take care of the orb. But Terezi and especially Karkat? As much as Meenah likes nubs mcshouty, HIC herself didn't exactly have the best response to the last Cancer troll she met.

I would guess Kanaya and Karkat are on LOFAF to make a new Genesis Frog.

Terezi, no idea. Maybe the seers are supposed to spy on Lord English so the Condesce knows when he's not looking?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I don't think Lord English even needs to look. Inevitability is on his side.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Thwack! posted:

Speaking of the many Jack Noirs, do we know anything about the pre-scratch troll's version of Jack Noir/Spades Slick? I figured he had a passing mention in one of the Openbounds, but I could be mistaken.

If I recall correctly, I believe he was not mentioned whatsoever. That seems odd for Homestuck.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Miracon posted:

If I recall correctly, I believe he was not mentioned whatsoever. That seems odd for Homestuck.

I dunno, it seems like in a "normal" session, Jack would probably be more of a miniboss. He might not even run into the players at all, if they didn't seem like they'd help him take over. He might not have been notable at all in that session.

I suppose he could have the position of trying to retrieve the ring or take over after the black queen was beaten, but I'd imagine most sessions would quickly destroy the ring or give it to a trusted carapace, then go right on to the black king.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A thought occurs: Where the gently caress is Davesprite?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus posted:

He flew off to the sun like a piece of fucknig gargbage

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bobulus posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

(Actual answer: Probably flying off out of the session. Bets are he'll run into Dirk out there.)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bobulus posted:

He's busy being a giant semi-transparent face in the background whenever people shout his name into the night. He's probably going to show up again, but only at a time when everybody else in the cast has completely forgotten that he exists.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Thundarr posted:

He's busy being a giant semi-transparent face in the background whenever people shout his name into the night. He's probably going to show up again, but only at a time when everybody else in the cast has completely forgotten that he exists.
So in the next couple updates?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TVs Ian posted:

I dunno, it seems like in a "normal" session, Jack would probably be more of a miniboss. He might not even run into the players at all, if they didn't seem like they'd help him take over. He might not have been notable at all in that session.

I suppose he could have the position of trying to retrieve the ring or take over after the black queen was beaten, but I'd imagine most sessions would quickly destroy the ring or give it to a trusted carapace, then go right on to the black king.

I assumed that Jack's animosity toward the Black Queen was a standard thing and would happen even in a normal session, since it happened in both the original kids' sessions and the Alternia session (but didn't get a chance to happen in the B2 session because HIC replaced the Black Queen first). I just imagine that it usually plays out more like it does in the Alternia session, where making an alliance with Jack to get help against the black royalty would be a quest hook to open up stuff, making him more of a helpful NPC contact and less of an uncontrollable universe-destroying monster.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So Radiation, maker of neat Homestuck music, is apparently making his own rpg video game. It's cool that Homestuck has led to creative people on the net getting more attention for their own stuff.

Also:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 25, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bobulus posted:

So Radiation, maker of neat Homestuck music, is apparently making his own rpg video game. It's cool that Homestuck has led to creative people on the net getting more attention for their own stuff.

Seriously, everyone here should play the Undertale demo. It has soul by the bucketload. The kickstarter for it hit the maximum stretch goal within about 12 hours, too.

Also, if you don't like the way the demo ends, load your save and try to figure out another way. The game knows when you've done this...

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well, another stretch goal was added.

And it looks like the fantroll required amount was increased to $10,000.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Bobulus posted:

Having just played this and now reading around to see what people think I'm amazed at how many people killed Toriel. The second I saw the spare mechanic in the instructions I did this for everything.
It's interesting but at the same time I felt I could see a lot of the ideas coming, probably just because the KS video mentioned humour in such an odd way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kgummy posted:

And it looks like the fantroll required amount was increased to $10,000.

I figure that's because he had intended it to be a joke-tier, but at least one person has already put up $500, so the thought of someone getting their fan-troll into the game seemed frighteningly real. Best make it ten times that and ensure that only the most bugfuck insane lunatic out there will even try.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Which means it's only a matter of time.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Dominic White posted:

Seriously, everyone here should play the Undertale demo. It has soul by the bucketload. The kickstarter for it hit the maximum stretch goal within about 12 hours, too.

Also, if you don't like the way the demo ends, load your save and try to figure out another way. The game knows when you've done this...

Oh hey, I guess I'll try this and OH GOD THE GAME KNOWS!

Also, that flower is completely terrifying.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Popo posted:

Having just played this and now reading around to see what people think I'm amazed at how many people killed Toriel. The second I saw the spare mechanic in the instructions I did this for everything.
It's interesting but at the same time I felt I could see a lot of the ideas coming, probably just because the KS video mentioned humour in such an odd way.

I killed her by accident. Talking didn't seem to be doing much, so I decided I'd try and weaken her then spare her, just like the vegetable monsters earlier. But when she was low on health I did over 10 times my usual damage.

Yes, I felt like an utter bastard.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Slime posted:

I killed her by accident. Talking didn't seem to be doing much, so I decided I'd try and weaken her then spare her, just like the vegetable monsters earlier. But when she was low on health I did over 10 times my usual damage.

Yes, I felt like an utter bastard.

I also did that, and based on what I've heard from friends who have played it, this is what usually happens the first time through.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Re:Undertale, after you've gotten an ending, try checking the instruction.html again.
I also did the plink and then kill her thing the first time through. Surprise criticals in a game that doesn't have criticals!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Being used to Mother games, i knew that Fighting wouldn't be the answer, so I spared her the first time. I thought I was awesome at dodging, but her attacks actually start evading you if you're weak. She did kill me once however, and she puts up a OH poo poo SORRY! face before you die. I only killed one enemy but Flowey still said I only spared one person in the end :(

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That's actually supposed to happen.
Reload from a save and try just sparing her.
Or just watch Supergreatfriend's playthrough to see what happens. It's very interesting.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Or just watch Supergreatfriend's playthrough to see what happens. It's very interesting.

Do you have a link for this?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Your way works too posted:

Do you have a link for this?

Right here, warning for spoilers.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Oh god. Here's something I don't think he showed off in that playthrough.

I tried sparing Toriel until she stopped attacking...and then I attacked her. Try it yourself.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Slime posted:

I tried sparing Toriel until she stopped attacking...and then I attacked her. Try it yourself.

I did that, and felt utterly wretched for it.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I felt really bad for leaving the room at the beginning when Toriel told me not to. :ohdear: I'm impressed at how much emotion this game managed to evoke out of me by providing a character who actually seems to care about our well-being.

I also had my damage multiply while fighting her at the end, is there some way to get rid of my save data so that I can spare her the "first time"?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rose Spirit posted:

I felt really bad for leaving the room at the beginning when Toriel told me not to. :ohdear: I'm impressed at how much emotion this game managed to evoke out of me by providing a character who actually seems to care about our well-being.

I also had my damage multiply while fighting her at the end, is there some way to get rid of my save data so that I can spare her the "first time"?

Reload your last save and replay it; she's completely doomed the first time, so you have to try Spare-ing the second time.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yonic Symbolism posted:

No no, I never killed her, but I actually managed to get myself killed the first time. After I got dumped back at the save spot I ran back an successfully Spared her to end the fight. Flowie didn't mention savescumming because I didn't do it, but he still called me out on the regular enemies because I killed a couple of vegetables (but seriously how are you supposed to beat those? Just weaken them?

vvv I'm sure you can actually do that. vvv

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Alabaster White posted:

Reload your last save and replay it; she's completely doomed the first time, so you have to try Spare-ing the second time.

There's no possible way to Spare her the first time without even attacking her at all?

Edit: ^^^ Question answered!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Slime posted:

And that's not even the most despicable ending.

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

That one amazing looking fan animation that has seemingly been in progress for years now was finally finished by Tumblr user guzusuru, it's the one that uses chimes as music and mainly focuses on pre-cascade events. I don't remember if they have been calling it "A Lullaby for Gods" before now, but I think it turned out pretty great and deserves a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKfP9N28buk

Alienwarez fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Blackheart posted:

because I killed a couple of vegetables (but seriously how are you supposed to beat those? Just weaken them?[/spoiler]
How could anyone resist eating their enemy? :unsmigghh:

The number of unpredictable options really frees up the tedium of turn-based play and gives it a sort of tabletop feel, which is wonderful. If realized to its full potential, making each battle its own puzzle where the player has to understand their enemy's psyche and motives is genre-reinventing stuff. There's a lot of room for improvement (some stuff like the random encounters might simply be that it was easier to code for a demo?), but the game is oozing with way too much joy and playfulness for me to clinically criticize it.

snucks fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 26, 2013