Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Azran posted:

Isn't there a Steel Legion/Death Korps novel where they fight Tyranids?

EDIT: Or maybe it was Tallarn troops.

Yeah Desert Raiders from when BL published a bunch of IG books with various famous regiments.
It's not that great honestly. Same goes for the Catachan book that came out around the same time. The only good one that came out during that period was Cadian Blood pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah Desert Raiders from when BL published a bunch of IG books with various famous regiments.
It's not that great honestly. Same goes for the Catachan book that came out around the same time. The only good one that came out during that period was Cadian Blood pretty much.
15 Hours remains the best of the "IG" series, just for sheer :smith: of it all.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Azran posted:

There's a Death Korps novel by Steve Lyons that's supposed to be not so great. They fight the Necrons though, not the Tyranids.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Arquinsiel posted:

The ending for Desert Raiders is kinda good as it does throw you for a loop but the rest of the book doesn't make up for that sadly.
Don't think I ever bothered finishing reading Gunheads and Rebel Winter from that series as well. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH I saw the ending coming from the begining. It was a bit obvious. I've read most of them. They last a few hours and then they're over and maybe a few cool things happened.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Azran posted:

It was Tallarn, it was called Desert Raiders and it was shite.

E:fb.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The mass market paperback of Angel Exterminatus is labeled as the "legacy edition" in BL store. Um, okay...

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

15 Hours is pretty good considering what Descent of Angels was like. I think it would have been better served as a short story but it's a pretty good read.

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

The ending for Desert Raiders is kinda good as it does throw you for a loop but the rest of the book doesn't make up for that sadly.
Don't think I ever bothered finishing reading Gunheads and Rebel Winter from that series as well. :v:

Gunheads was good and Rebel Winter was decent. If you like tanks and armor Gunheads is for you.

Polpoto
Oct 14, 2006

I always thought the short story Fall of Malvolion by Abnett with the IG and Tyranids was pretty sweet. I just wish it would've been a full novel.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am pretty disappointed with the quality of some of the Gaunts Ghosts ebooks from BL. It seems like they ran some awful OCR program over the books, and then just converted them into epub. In Guns of Tanith i have seen several instances of Blood Part, and some other nonsensical words.

Also some of the endings are just awful. In Straight Silver it goes from Larkin passing out, to Corbec and Co materializing (how JJago managed to get back, and get the ghosts doesn't make much sense, since JJago basically runs off, then they are immediately assaulted). Or the awful ending in Guns of tanith, with the mustache twirling chaos leader, screams "Nooooooooooo!" :wtc:

Abnett's writing has improved leaps and bounds, but honestly i feel some of the middle books in the saint arc are kind of bad. I also have no idea where Betalyn (Gaunt's adjuntant) came into it. He seemed to just kind of materialize in Guns of Tanith.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I kind of remember Betalyn working on a vox in the first two books. :v: It's true though, that he gained an actual character as the series went by.

Polpoto posted:

I always thought the short story Fall of Malvolion by Abnett with the IG and Tyranids was pretty sweet. I just wish it would've been a full novel.

I remember it was one of the first pieces of 40k fiction I read, some years ago. And goddamn, I didn't expect that ending.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

UberJumper posted:

He seemed to just kind of materialize in Guns of Tanith.

Something's awry....

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Just finished Sabbat Martyr which was probably one of the better books in Gaunts Ghosts.

Can anyone explain how The saint goes from dying, to magically taking over Sanian?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Just finished Sabbat Martyr which was probably one of the better books in Gaunts Ghosts.

Can anyone explain how The saint goes from dying, to magically taking over Sanian?

Magic? It's a miracle that can't be explained, that's kind of the point. I guess she passed her Psychic Test or something if that's more of an explanation.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

UberJumper posted:

The benevolence of the Emperor :cryingaquila:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

UberJumper posted:

Sanian was the Saint's backup plan if her first avatar had to get herself killed (which she did.) Then the gloves came off and it was glowing crusader time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Sanian was the Saint's backup plan if her first avatar had to get herself killed (which she did.) Then the gloves came off and it was glowing crusader time.

She was also objectively a better choice, she already had the backing of a lord general and in a commanding position. The girl was just another refugee.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

She was also objectively a better choice, she already had the backing of a lord general and in a commanding position. The girl was just another refugee.

Presumably there would have been a tradeoff or reveal somewhere, but the point was for Sabbat to meet Brin Milo and for the big performance to divert an enemy force to an unimportant planet. When she had to stop a tank from killing him, things went a little sideways and Gaunt had to save the day.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

wiegieman posted:

Ahh thanks, more or less just the magic of the emperor.

I am about half way through traitor general

I am kind of annoyed how painfully obvious Abnett made the identity of who the traitor general is. The first time it was somewhat subtle. But by the 4th time it was so stupidly obvious, i felt that abnett had told me everything about the character except his name.

The squad of chaos marines had to be the most pathetic space marines in existence. Also a longlas with hotshot is stronger than a bolter? 1 hot shot round to destroy a helmeted space marine, vs 6 bolter rounds at close range :wtc:.

Also is a Meat Foundary, chaos just turning the local population into meat? :psyduck:

Other than that it is interesting.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

UberJumper posted:

Ahh thanks, more or less just the magic of the emperor.

I am about half way through traitor general

I am kind of annoyed how painfully obvious Abnett made the identity of who the traitor general is. The first time it was somewhat subtle. But by the 4th time it was so stupidly obvious, i felt that abnett had told me everything about the character except his name.

The squad of chaos marines had to be the most pathetic space marines in existence. Also a longlas with hotshot is stronger than a bolter? 1 hot shot round to destroy a helmeted space marine, vs 6 bolter rounds at close range :wtc:.

Also is a Meat Foundary, chaos just turning the local population into meat? :psyduck:

Other than that it is interesting.

Ok gonna sperg a bit here. Bolt pistols don't shoot proper bullets, they shoot little grenades attached to rockets. As such, they aren't going as fast as they can go at close range. If a bolt isn't going fast enough, it might not penetrate. A long-las, on the other hand, is just as lethal from any range.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

VanSandman posted:

Ok gonna sperg a bit here. Bolt pistols don't shoot proper bullets, they shoot little grenades attached to rockets. As such, they aren't going as fast as they can go at close range. If a bolt isn't going fast enough, it might not penetrate. A long-las, on the other hand, is just as lethal from any range.

And any armor piercing round can glance off of a rounder surface like you'd find on a helmet. Larkin is probably the best shot in the sector so that hot shot went exactly where it needed to be. The very few mortals who can take on a traitor marine with any hope at all tend to be the sort you write novels about.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

VanSandman posted:

Then shouldn't varl have been gibbed by the resulting explosion of the bolter rounds? Or do bolter rounds only explode after getting to a certain speed?

Sorry for sperging.

mllaneza posted:

And any armor piercing round can glance off of a rounder surface like you'd find on a helmet. Larkin is probably the best shot in the sector so that hot shot went exactly where it needed to be. The very few mortals who can take on a traitor marine with any hope at all tend to be the sort you write novels about.

It was Rawne, and point blank range. I just feel that the Astartes are supposed to be more or less gods on the battlefield, traitor marines even more so since they are warped by chaos. I just find the entire idea that 12 guardsmen and a bunch of natives with crossbows regardless for how amazing they are should not really be able to fight space marines and come out without any losses.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 30, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

UberJumper posted:

Then shouldn't varl have been gibbed by the resulting explosion of the bolter rounds? Or do bolter rounds only explode after getting to a certain speed?

It was Rawne, and point blank range. I just feel that the Astartes are supposed to be more or less gods on the battlefield, traitor marines even more so since they are warped by chaos. I just find the entire idea that 12 guardsmen and a bunch of natives with crossbows regardless for how amazing they are should not really be able to fight space marines and come out without any losses.

Oh right. Rawne's a damned good shot too. Astartes are indeed gods on the battlefield, it's just that they were up against the best special ops team in the gaalxy.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Oh right. Rawne's a damned good shot too. Astartes are indeed gods on the battlefield, it's just that they were up against the best special ops team in the gaalxy.

they also had the support of the moth-people who are totally not analogous to the desert dudes from Dune. Abnett, writes his astartes heavily dependent on the setting, for another example, the three marines in his most recent book are utterly unstoppable, whereas a dreadnaught in his first book was taken apart by spring-loaded cacti.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You have to put it into perspective as well, in one of the first two books that were a collection of short stories the ghosts take on 50x their own number and win with zero casualties (the eldar story), and nobody believes it. It's likely Gaunt never mentioned that fight with the chaos marines in his briefings either because he knew everyone would say he's full of poo poo.

What I'm saying is that everything we know about Space Marines is half fact and half fiction. The only other instance I can think of where the ghosts kill a marine is the first trench story, where they're stuck behind creeping enemy artillery.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Demiurge4 posted:

You have to put it into perspective as well, in one of the first two books that were a collection of short stories the ghosts take on 50x their own number and win with zero casualties (the eldar story), and nobody believes it. It's likely Gaunt never mentioned that fight with the chaos marines in his briefings either because he knew everyone would say he's full of poo poo.

What I'm saying is that everything we know about Space Marines is half fact and half fiction. The only other instance I can think of where the ghosts kill a marine is the first trench story, where they're stuck behind creeping enemy artillery.

I thought the elder story where the ghosts killed 50x their number was because of the eldar farseer basically casting some sort of warp magic on gaunt and his men (rawne and co were inside the base thinking it was tanith). Gaunt however charged for no real reason so i just assumed the eldar was pulling the strings somehow. Especially since only one of them died from the most bizarre of circumstances.

However it would be interesting that if at the end of the gaunts ghosts books, it gets revealed that gaunt was more or less full of poo poo and the tanith were not the unstoppable gods that the books portray them as. Hence why aside from a few battles they somehow kept getting the short end of the stick for commendation.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Chaos space marines specifically range in power from "basically already dead dudes inside power armour" to "literally unkillable" that's dependent on how favoured by various Chaos gods and demonlings they are.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

UberJumper posted:

Sorry for sperging.

Well, it depends on the type of round. Standard bolt round? I imagine it won't explode unless it penetrates something.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Also, didn't alot of the villagers die in the attack?

I like Traitor General cause it;s only time tons of Ghost's don't die. Other than Blood Pact.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VanSandman posted:

Well, it depends on the type of round. Standard bolt round? I imagine it won't explode unless it penetrates something.

They might have a proximity fuse, too, so they don't detonate while the user is in a dangerous range. On the other hand, bolt ammunition itself seems pretty complicated so depending on the quality of the manufacturer and how old it is, who knows what percent end up being duds and fail to detonate properly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

VanSandman posted:

Cream_Filling posted:

They might have a proximity fuse, too, so they don't detonate while the user is in a dangerous range. On the other hand, bolt ammunition itself seems pretty complicated so depending on the quality of the manufacturer and how old it is, who knows what percent end up being duds and fail to detonate properly.

Bolters are basically this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM25_CDTE

Nominally they are supposed to be hand held automatic firing RPGs based on their initial conception, and the usual description is some combination of a gyrojet and those early reports* of Le Mas Ltd./RBCD Performance Plus, Inc BMT bullets. But the closest real life analog is the XM25 - can air burst or penetrate then explode, fires at a respectible rate, and the ammunition is produced by hand, just like bolter shells (it costs ~$600 to shoot the thing once).

*early reports turned out to be marketing lies btw

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 30, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

UberJumper posted:

And that's why it's a great battle segment. It's a clash of two really loving elite forces.

Nothing beats killing a Dreadnought through an overloaded lasgun though. :colbert:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nah, the coolest Dreadnaught moment was in 'Know No Fear' when that one Dread does an atmospheric re-entry and then gets up fighting.
I love the idea of grumpy Dreadnaughts for some reason.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Know no Fear is literally solid coolest moments. If you haven't read it yet, you owe it to yourself to do so.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah it actually makes me like the Ultramarines somehow, it's pretty awesome.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I'm almost finished with Redemption Corps by Rob Sanders and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't know if it's going to gently caress up the flashbacks/flashforwards/flashwhatevers though. Aside from his word mashing like "industriascapes" and "adamanticlad" (Still no clue what he meant with that one) and some hokey attempts at "Oorah" (Which gladly don't come anywhere close to being as bad as those moments in Death World, the Catachan Imperial Guard book), the writing wasn't bad. It was pretty action packed and I got a kick out of the challenges to guess which movies inspired which parts.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Nominally they are supposed to be hand held automatic firing RPGs based on their initial conception, and the usual description is some combination of a gyrojet and those early reports* of Le Mas Ltd./RBCD Performance Plus, Inc BMT bullets. But the closest real life analog is the XM25 - can air burst or penetrate then explode, fires at a respectible rate, and the ammunition is produced by hand, just like bolter shells (it costs ~$600 to shoot the thing once).

It's arguably more similar to a regular 20mm cannon with added gyrojet elements, because we haven't really seen any sort of airburst capability beyond a few mentions in White Dwarf or the 40k RPGs of "metal storm frag rounds." The key being that an autocannon by definition fires explosive shells, normally set to detonate on impact or on a time delay right after impact. Though I think retconning it so all bolters can potentially be set to airburst (and we just never see it because they're usually fighting armored combatants or else just because the users have forgotten about the feature) would be cool, just because I think sometimes Imperial tech gets a short shrift and it's not emphasized that even this super clunky looking stuff is worlds beyond anything modern tech in the real world.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 30, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

I imagined something like that. It's sad that in every video game and that lovely Ultramarines movie, bolters look too much like regular assault rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Nah, the coolest Dreadnaught moment was in 'Know No Fear' when that one Dread does an atmospheric re-entry and then gets up fighting.
I love the idea of grumpy Dreadnaughts for some reason.

Basically pick any book where Bjorn shows up. He's basically the grumpiest dreadnought of them all. He doesn't even have to do anything but grump and it works. :colbert: