Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Darn it Hetty, stop being passive-aggressive and let Renard have his dramatic flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do you honestly want to see what would happen if Hetty became just plain aggressive?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RandomPauI posted:

Do you honestly want to see what would happen if Hetty became just plain aggressive?

Tom would have to blow his budget on ketchup for the special effects.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Darn it Hetty, stop being passive-aggressive and let Renard have his dramatic flashback.

Well, if Renard stopped being so boring...

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hetty owns! Can someone make a rad avatar of Hetty at the bottom there for me? It would be nice to have her sighing at every post I make.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
You know, this probably explains why Surma left. Tricks or not, I can't imagine she wanted someone she knew to die for it. That probably weighs on the ol' conciense.

But was this before or after her and Tony were a thing?

Creeper face probably didn't help there Renard.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Potsticker posted:

Hetty owns! Can someone make a rad avatar of Hetty at the bottom there for me? It would be nice to have her sighing at every post I make.

How's this?

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Dang it, Annie in the Forest is sold out already. I totally missed that it was up for sale. :smith:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Madrox posted:

Dang it, Annie in the Forest is sold out already. I totally missed that it was up for sale. :smith:

Latest Twitter post by Tom said he's already looking into reprints. I knew they wouldn't be there long, but I had no idea they'd sell out THAT quickly.

Also from @Topatoco :We may have more, we lowballed the initial count to compensate for potential bent ones etc. When this batch goes out we'll know.

Dogdoo 8 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 26, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Perhaps the same could be said of all tricksters!

But yeah Hettie ain't having none of this poo poo.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
So, last page implies Renard accepted the possession power in Surma's time... this page implies that when he possessed the boy, Anja already had her anti-possession glyph, which means previous encounters with possession Renard (or possession Coyote, maybe?). Unless this page is meant to depict a more abstract, longer struggle period between possession Renard in Danny's body and the Court.

Also, it's weird: Coyote and Renard arrived in the early stages of the Court, just after it was founded, because Coyote did the Annan Waters divide and the Court founders set Jeanne up in place. But last page, you see Daniel casually strolling along the forest, casually greeting Renard, and casually doing "the evening survey". Was he a medium? This means the Court had a not-unpleasant relationship with the Forest not that long ago...

My timelines are getting confused :psyduck:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

It's a longer struggle over time. Note Renard in Daniel's body has different clothes on in the last panel. I would guess it was showing the jump from when he first appeared in that body to when he was about to be captured.

Also I had assumed Daniel was the Court medium too, and that the incident with Renard is what lead to the changes in Court policy and the divide. As that seemed to be Coyote's plan; dividing the two so he could later show how horrible the Court was.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I was under the impression the court hadn't had a medium since Surma left, but Surma knew Renard when she was a medium, before this stuff happened. Unless I'm mixed up, Daniel can't have been the medium at this point.

I can see this being the incident that soured relations, though.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Latest Twitter post by Tom said he's already looking into reprints. I knew they wouldn't be there long, but I had no idea they'd sell out THAT quickly.

Also from @Topatoco :We may have more, we lowballed the initial count to compensate for potential bent ones etc. When this batch goes out we'll know.

I wish he'd make an e-book version. I really want to read it but I have far too many books as it is.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Are the needles in the chapter thumbnail for "Quicksilver" the tools Annie sent her dad?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Daktar posted:

I wish he'd make an e-book version. I really want to read it but I have far too many books as it is.
From what I've heard he'll make it available online eventually, after it's had its print run.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Renard you're lookin' pretty darn creepy there buddy.

Actually, check out those nails. He's looking downright terrifying.

Same with the dudes from the Court. I've always liked how there's bits where Tom depicts people from the Court, like Anja and Donald in the central panel thing in this one: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=106

they're like big, scary, terrifying things that want to EAT YOU or something. Even though we know they're great people. To Renard right then, and to other people at other times, they are probably terrifying.

Like it must be similar in some ways to how little micey dudes see the scientist dudes looming over them when they are gettin studied or whatever.

Extra food for thought: it makes them look just like Coyote's glass-eyed men.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

LtStorm posted:

Also I had assumed Daniel was the Court medium too, and that the incident with Renard is what lead to the changes in Court policy and the divide. As that seemed to be Coyote's plan; dividing the two so he could later show how horrible the Court was.

The divide happens waaay back though. Like, the divide was already there when Jeanne was sacrificed. Coyote's been in the Forest a long time.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I'm sorry but that looks like SMMGH to me. cant decide if that makes it better

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So far, we have never seen anything about "doing the evening survey" in the training for becoming the medium. Now obviously that doesn't discount the possibility entirely, but I have a feeling that Tom was trying to give Daniel the vibe of "just a guy doin' some work". Whatever that work is and how it relates to the court-forest relationship is probably not really important whatsoever.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

SHISHKABOB posted:

So far, we have never seen anything about "doing the evening survey" in the training for becoming the medium. Now obviously that doesn't discount the possibility entirely, but I have a feeling that Tom was trying to give Daniel the vibe of "just a guy doin' some work". Whatever that work is and how it relates to the court-forest relationship is probably not really important whatsoever.

I think that was kind of the intention. I disagree about it not being important though. There is very little that isn't important or relevant in some way. I suspect that in six months, someone will be posting here "oh, that's what that meant, it was there all along, that's so cool." Sometimes there's almost too much planning ahead and hints.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

From what I've heard he'll make it available online eventually, after it's had its print run.

Oh cool. I hope he does make a nice paid digital edition though. I'd like to give something back in return for many years of free entertainment.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well if back that a guy could just go over to the forest to do some ecology field work or whatever, and now only the mediums and their protectors as well as those with express invitations can cross the bridge then it IS of great importance since renards murder of the guy is the reason for the current frosty relationship between the court and the forest.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

Pyradox posted:

How's this?

I don't know why, but the way that's cropped it makes Hetty look really tiny, and is being picked up by someone by the thumb and index finger. Since she's sighing, she's also just kinda "Whatever" about it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I was just reading a random couple of chapters to pass the time while waiting for a game to finish installing, and I came across something familiar. It's related to something a few chapters ago, so someone else probably already saw this and mentioned it back while it was actually relevant, but I don't remember it. So, just in case I wanted to bring it up.

Back a few chapters while Annie was unconscious and in the infirmary, Zimmy ran across this scene while digging around a bit. Waaayyy back, almost 1000 pages before that Kat showed Annie this area just after Annie's been trying to get some info out of Reynardine, after discovering that he's possessed her stuffed wolf. It's also where I think Annie had her first in-comic breakdown about Surma and tells Kat that she's got a jerk for a dad, excuses aside.

Edit: And now I'm almost sure that someone mentioned this back when it was relevant. :(

Oh well, too late now and I'm too lazy to make sure.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Onean posted:

I was just reading a random couple of chapters to pass the time while waiting for a game to finish installing, and I came across something familiar. It's related to something a few chapters ago, so someone else probably already saw this and mentioned it back while it was actually relevant, but I don't remember it. So, just in case I wanted to bring it up.

Back a few chapters while Annie was unconscious and in the infirmary, Zimmy ran across this scene while digging around a bit. Waaayyy back, almost 1000 pages before that Kat showed Annie this area just after Annie's been trying to get some info out of Reynardine, after discovering that he's possessed her stuffed wolf. It's also where I think Annie had her first in-comic breakdown about Surma and tells Kat that she's got a jerk for a dad, excuses aside.

Edit: And now I'm almost sure that someone mentioned this back when it was relevant. :(

Oh well, too late now and I'm too lazy to make sure.
I just now got that scene (the Zimmy version). I feel dumb :saddowns:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
That tree room has been a recurring bit of imagery in the comic for a while now, although as far as I can recall we've yet to see if it's got any story relevance beyond "man there sure is some weird stuff in the Court."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The room is one of Bob's decon chambers that he uses to make sure stuff from the forest is safe before dumping it in the outdoor forested area. This comes up in Residential.

In the dream, it seems likely that we're seeing this because it's the first time Annie opened up emotionally to Kat (and to the readers). Bob ran across them by accident but didn't intrude, and in the dream his place is taken by Zimmy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
Daniel's evening survey reminds me of how the forest reacted to Smitty. Maybe he had a similar power and was training to replace Surma as medium? Coyote mentions Surma "getting away," which could refer to her leaving her post as medium to marry (and to die).

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

idonotlikepeas posted:

In the dream, it seems likely that we're seeing this because it's the first time Annie opened up emotionally to Kat (and to the readers). Bob ran across them by accident but didn't intrude, and in the dream his place is taken by Zimmy.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

heenato posted:

I don't know why, but the way that's cropped it makes Hetty look really tiny, and is being picked up by someone by the thumb and index finger. Since she's sighing, she's also just kinda "Whatever" about it.

*Siiiiign*

Flipped if someone wants her rolling her eyes at their own ridiculous posts.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Daniel's evening survey reminds me of how the forest reacted to Smitty. Maybe he had a similar power and was training to replace Surma as medium? Coyote mentions Surma "getting away," which could refer to her leaving her post as medium to marry (and to die).

Daniel's job was to check for anomalies every morning. For example, he would count how many ocean creatures were floating out of place in the forest, and tell them to return to the sea. That jerk Renard ruined everything until Smith restored order.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

*Siiiiign*

renard renard renard renard hetty renard hetty renard sigh hetty renatty renard renaaaaaRRRDDDdddDD

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
/\I can't look away/\ :stare:

Onean posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.
Yeah, this is what I figured. Annoyed it took me so long.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Blackheart posted:

Daniel's job was to check for anomalies every morning. For example, he would count how many ocean creatures were floating out of place in the forest, and tell them to return to the sea. That jerk Renard ruined everything until Smith restored order.

renard renard renard renard hetty renard hetty renard sigh hetty renatty renard renaaaaaRRRDDDdddDD

Oh god, I'm taking this one. It's amazing.

e: awwwww, it's too big

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

TimNeilson posted:

Oh god, I'm taking this one. It's amazing.

e: awwwww, it's too big

Small enough?

vvv It's 29.0 KB so it should fit. I suck at optimizing gifs. vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 27, 2013

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Blackheart posted:

Small enough?

Well, I'm on my phone now so I can't check, but the limit is 30 kb.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

*Siiiiign*

The one looking right certainly looks a lot better to me just because she's looking at something at all. Rather than just look away, her entire face seems to be backing off from the terrible posts.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pyradox posted:

How's this?

That's great-- thanks!

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Blackheart posted:

Small enough?

vvv It's 29.0 KB so it should fit. I suck at optimizing gifs. vvv

You're the best :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
drat, Hetty.

Is she some old Forest bud of Ren's who got herself stuck in a doll? Maybe Adam controls her.