Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rarity posted:

Punchcasters: What are the stupidest causes of feuds in wrestling history?
Shampoo commercial, and spilling coffee are my two go-to examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Now I want Dave to write a video games newsletter!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Now I want Dave to write a video games newsletter!

Why did he lay some burns on that 2K game?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dave knew 2K was getting WWE long before THQ die. He said he tried to drop hints for weeks.

Mighty Bomb Jack -***

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Dave knew 2K was getting WWE long before THQ die. He said he tried to drop hints for weeks.

Mighty Bomb Jack -***

I wanna go back through old WOs now and find those hints.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

The Goog posted:

We have such a backlog of questions, and the FOTW is a rather hit-or-miss thing; we talked about it before the show, and decided that it would be better to answer one more question that you folks have submitted to us.

Thank you so much for those, by the way; we really appreciate them. It's heartening to know that there are people who care what a bunch of idiots like us have to say about wrestling.

You guys make standing around for 5 hours cleaning dishes so much more bearable.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

I wanna go back through old WOs now and find those hints.
I couldn't find anything other than a deal being close but no company being named.
He listed Take Two among others but never did anything to single them out.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave's exasperation was just so funny. "I always try and drop hints Bryan! Just no one picks up on them!!"

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Bryan and Vinny status: officially racist after mistaking Bad Luck Fale for Japanese.

edit: Vinny got Naito vs. Takahashi mixed with Shibata vs. Goto

getitoffgetitoff fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 26, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Punchpod castcount questagoda: who would win a battle of the bands, 3 Count or 3MB?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sorry to add to the question glut on the GoonPunch Sportcast, but you can answer this one before my last one if you like.

Vince will relinquish control of the WWE to you, the newest member of WWE Creative, if you can accomplish this task: Eliminate the 'What' chants inside of one calendar year. You have access to the full roster and Austin, and can basically do anything you like within broadcast standards. How do you do it?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Dave's exasperation was just so funny. "I always try and drop hints Bryan! Just no one picks up on them!!"

there are always times where I feel like Dave is dropping hints about things but I have no idea what they are

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Cardboard Box posted:

there are always times where I feel like Dave is dropping hints about things but I have no idea what they are
The most recent one I recall is when the McMahons/HHH drama started a few weeks ago, Alvarez was pondering "Where exactly is this going? Is this leading to something cool?" And Dave said "Well it's....um, well...it's leading somewhere...I don't know if it'll be cool..." sounded like he knew what the blowoff of this angle will be but held his tongue.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Also, why Chris Jericho was coming off the top rope after having his knee injured.

Dave: "Well, there's a reason why"

Bryan: "He's not hurt!"

Dave: "Nooo"

Bryan: "It's a work!"

Dave: "Noooo"

Bryan: "He's crazy!"

Dave: "Nooo... we'll talk it about after the show."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OSWReview are recording their Wrestlemania IX episode today, so the new episode shouldn't be far off.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sorry to add to the question glut on the GoonPunch Sportcast, but you can answer this one before my last one if you like.

Vince will relinquish control of the WWE to you, the newest member of WWE Creative, if you can accomplish this task: Eliminate the 'What' chants inside of one calendar year. You have access to the full roster and Austin, and can basically do anything you like within broadcast standards. How do you do it?

I had a train of thought of turning it around on the audience and running it into the ground so it didn't have meaning anymore and the audience got annoyed, like something with Audience interaction and blaring WHAT WHAT WHAT over the loudspeakers with annoying music...but then my train of thought drifted to imagining Lil' John blaring "WHAT" and "YEAH" like how Chappelle did it and I can't stop giggling inside.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gatts posted:

I had a train of thought of turning it around on the audience and running it into the ground so it didn't have meaning anymore and the audience got annoyed, like something with Audience interaction and blaring WHAT WHAT WHAT over the loudspeakers with annoying music...but then my train of thought drifted to imagining Lil' John blaring "WHAT" and "YEAH" like how Chappelle did it and I can't stop giggling inside.

Lil Jon's not busy these days, is he? Because a call-and-response with both him and the crowd what-ing one another would be gold.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

The only way to eliminate the what chants is to film all WWE TV in front of TNA house show crowds.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Hey good Punchsportcast guys, and thanks for asking another Manflurry Question. Please stop doing wrestler impersonations!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Krauser posted:

Also, why Chris Jericho was coming off the top rope after having his knee injured.

Dave: "Well, there's a reason why"

Bryan: "He's not hurt!"

Dave: "Nooo"

Bryan: "It's a work!"

Dave: "Noooo"

Bryan: "He's crazy!"

Dave: "Nooo... we'll talk it about after the show."

A couple of years ago there was:

"So, who do you think is going to be the guest referee in this match Dave?"

"Well... I know, so I can't say."

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
This week's AOW guest is the Honky Tonk Man. I'm intrigued as to how/where this will go, with the caveat that I've not watched any HTM shoot interviews.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I enjoyed Dave and Bryan imagining possible foreign objects for Ricardo Rodriguez. Buckets, canes, crutches... Everything but the most obvious object that already fits his gimmick and is widely accepted as a dangerous weapon.

The Microphone.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BlueArmyMan posted:

This week's AOW guest is the Honky Tonk Man. I'm intrigued as to how/where this will go, with the caveat that I've not watched any HTM shoot interviews.

Believe maybe like 1/3 of what he says. HTM is one of the most carny, self-aggrandizing fuckers ever in a business full of self-aggrandizing, carny fuckers.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 27, 2013

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Believe maybe like 1/3 of what he says. HTM is one of the most carny, self-aggrandizing fuckers ever in a business full of self-aggrandizing, carny fuckers.

Considering he's taking (hopefully tongue-in-cheek) credit for Hulkamania and the People's Eyebrow, this is good advice.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
HTM can be entertaining if you know beforehand that he is a liar and all around piece of poo poo.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

BlueArmyMan posted:

I particularly like this snippet from the episode's description. :v:

quote:

Colt taught Honky how to use a credit card machine on his iPhone, now they are best friends

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The first 30 minutes of yesterday's Bryan and Vinny show might be the best half hour of audio ever posted on the site.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're not listening to the Steve Austin Show, the newest episode is basically him complaining and ranting for an hour and it's awesome. Also he's apparently doing episodes on refereeing and drugs in the future.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's weird. I've never seen Rumble '92 but I feel like I know it inside and out thanks to OSWReview covering it recently but The Old School Wrestling Podcast also covered it back last year. I got like 20 minutes into OSWReview before I realised I'd recognised the event.

What's so lovely though is that Flair's win is such a great achievement but is rendered moot immediately because Hogan needs his spotlight.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of which, Jay reckons he'll have the next episode of OSWReview (Mania 9) out in the next two weeks or so.

This one is going to be amazing, because the OSWReview Crew are always much funnier when they hate whatever they're reviewing, and other than Macho's entrance and Heenan's entrance, what is there to like about Mania 9.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

VogeGandire posted:

Speaking of which, Jay reckons he'll have the next episode of OSWReview (Mania 9) out in the next two weeks or so.

This one is going to be amazing, because the OSWReview Crew are always much funnier when they hate whatever they're reviewing, and other than Macho's entrance and Heenan's entrance, what is there to like about Mania 9.
Undertaker's entrance.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Perigryn posted:

Undertaker's entrance.

Fair play I forgot that one, because that vulture was rad as gently caress, I wish he'd do that again.

Although I dunno if I'd put that above Macho entering like Caesar and Heenan entering sitting backwards on a camel. :allears:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Since we just had the 15th anniversary of the Mankind-Undertaker HItC, I'll ask a downer of a hypothetical question.

What would have happened if Foley died during that match? What would have been the fall out for a wrestler dying, not for a freak accident, but directly due to a planned part of the match? Would the peak of WWF popularity and the death of WCW still have occurred? Would WWF have survived?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New SNCJ episode with a contest to the listeners! Please, somebody enter.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Something cataclysmic has happened to AEP's next episode file. They're going to try and salvage it, but they reckon it'll put back release for a few weeks.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should get about 30 minutes in to the latest WO podcast so you can hear Bryan try to make a joke during a Rob Naylor discussion, and Dave completely fail to react to it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rodney the Piper posted:

Everyone should get about 30 minutes in to the latest WO podcast so you can hear Bryan try to make a joke during a Rob Naylor discussion, and Dave completely fail to react to it.
This was good.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
I don't have a witty tagline, but I do have a Ten Count!

Topics: 1. WWE playing up the history of their world titles
2. Daniel Bryan's schizophrenic booking
3. If TNA dies sometime late this year, what happens to its talent?
4. WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: R-Truth
5. At what time, in what company, would the top star getting hurt have done the most damage?
6. How would the Monday Night Wars have gone if Eric Bischoff was hired by the WWF in the early 90s?
7. How would you repackage Randy Orton?
8. You can watch one match from WWE's library. What match do you choose, and why?
9. If CM Punk had defended the WWE Title outside the company in the summer of 2011, who would have been some good opponents for him?
10. What matches would you book on another "Wrestling Summit" show?

There's a very noticeable drop in the audio quality at just about the one-hour mark; our primary recording died unexpectedly, and we had to use a backup. Sorry about that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you do not hear the Goog being called out on censorship during this episode he is a shameful man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he must have edited out the funny parts and interesting discussion too

• Locked thread