Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

VideoGameVet posted:

We are Remembering Richard Matheson in our iOS Crossword Game, Crickler today. http://bit.ly/Sof4X7 Free download.

Please stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

SpookyLizard posted:

What is Puzzle and Dragons exactly? I assummed it was some sort of pay2win game with some sort of big paywall/timers kind of thing because of how much goddamn money it makes.
It's not pay2win - it's more like pay-2-collect-all-of-the-pokemon-esq-monsters. Throw in a little gem-matching, some evolution/upgrade elements, and boom, you have a game that somehow just prints money.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

VideoGameVet posted:

We are Remembering Richard Matheson in our iOS Crossword Game, Crackler today. Free download.
Thank you for that lovely tidbit! :fuckoff:

Sprinkle is currently free; it's a kind of neat water physics game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

duckfarts posted:

Sprinkle is currently free; it's a kind of neat water physics game.

Neat! Thanks for that. But in other news, uh http://toucharcade.com/2013/06/26/colin-mcrae-rally-breathes-new-life-into-a-playstation-racing-classic/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjtnhsuY9w

:psyduck:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
A terribly-controlling port of a 15 year old PS1 game that was 2nd of a like 30-game series named after a guy who's been dead for years? Christmas came early.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Don't drink and drive, kids.

If this game really is the predecessor of the Dirt series, then its focus is on being as realistic as possible. I played Dirt 2 on the 360, and it's basically the Gran Turismo/Forza of rally racing games. It was hard enough to play with a joystick and analog triggers (I was only slightly better than whoever was playing in that video), so playing on an iPad sounds like a terrible idea.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Eegah posted:

A terribly-controlling port of a 15 year old PS1 game that was 2nd of a like 30-game series named after a guy who's been dead for years? Christmas came early.

I'll admit, until I got to the bolded part I thought you meant FFT.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Only played the tutorial battles so far, but I'm already delighted with Grand Battles Medieval for iPad. $5 well spent.

There are some minor rough edges. I was able to accidentally dismiss a bunch of the tutorial messages as they popped up while I was panning around. The unit behaviour buttons (run/walk etc) on the unit portraits are TINY on a mini. Some aspects of the controls and units aren't fully explained at the start. Not deal breakers in any way.

The good stuff really shines though. The battles run in real time, but tap any unit and the game pauses and you go into order mode. You can take all the time in the world to examine units, redeploy troops, and then hit the play button and watch the little soldiers go about their business. In order mode it's slightly further zoomed out, but in battle you can zoom all the way in and pan and tilt the camera to best view the action. It's very cinematic and it's like having a tabletop wargame come to life. The camera by the way, is exactly what the camera in XCOM should have been like on iPad.

There's no multiplayer (despite a lingering reference to it in one of the menus) because they said on other platforms no one bothered to play it anyway. You can play campaigns as French or English, and there is a skirmish mode too. Troops level up, new equipment unlocks, and you can tweak your army composition to suit your style. Units rout, and get fatigued, and there is a rock/paper/scissors element to how the units interact. The graphics are lovely, and with a couple of hundred little soldiers swinging swords and firing arrows it's got enough eye candy to make even non-strategy fans give it a chance.

I'll have to see what the campaign content is like to make a final judgement, but already I'm enamoured with just ordering little units of soldiers and knights around and watching them fight. 50% off for the first week. Recommend the strategy fans get on that.

Trailer is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7DlUXOJ8Po

Judging from the unit shadows that's footage from the PC/console version, which is a little naughty, but considering how hard it I'd to get people to buy niche strategy games at the best of time I'll let it go. Unit shadows aside, that is exactly how it looks and plays on iPad anyway.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 27, 2013

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

:siren: Layton Brothers: Mystery Room :siren: popped up. The prologue and first two cases are free with the rest being IAP.

Wait a minute, where's the professor? What's this have to do with the Layton series? (It actually was an unrelated game that got rebranded into a Professor Layton spinoff. :ssh:)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

You're enamoured with a basic RTS concept?? Jesus Christ is there a way for you to bottle up your childlike joy and wonder and sell it to world? I watched the trailer and now I don't even want anything further to do with this game because it gave me a drat headache with the lens flare transition every half a second.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
If you are buying, I'm selling. For a good time ring 1-900-PARKINGTIGERS. I'll put a smile on that face, and you'll not have a headache when I flash my goods at you. Come and get some of my boyish wonder.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Don't drink and drive, kids.

If this game really is the predecessor of the Dirt series, then its focus is on being as realistic as possible. I played Dirt 2 on the 360, and it's basically the Gran Turismo/Forza of rally racing games. It was hard enough to play with a joystick and analog triggers (I was only slightly better than whoever was playing in that video), so playing on an iPad sounds like a terrible idea.

I only started playing Colin McRae with 3 but that game was pretty brutal but loving rad as hell. 4 was great too and if you have any interest in rally driving you owe it to yourself to track them down.

Eegah posted:

Yeah it's real weird. Honestly if they were going to port rally-ish PS1 games to the iPad I'd expect this to be a much better fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkPbuzODOcw

:allears:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sad lions posted:

Curve ain't so bad so long as you figure out that you can actually place more troops to help in the second battle (first proper battle). That's one of those weird little things that gets most people when starting out (me among them).

Hahaha I did this in 7th grade and hated the game for two weeks because I couldn't beat the second battle. Didn't know pressing R2 would let me put down another troop!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Voodoo posted:

It's not pay2win - it's more like pay-2-collect-all-of-the-pokemon-esq-monsters. Throw in a little gem-matching, some evolution/upgrade elements, and boom, you have a game that somehow just prints money.

Yeah, I've been using it as a pooping game for the last month or so, logging in once a day to get my free poo poo and not paying a goddamned dime. I'm never going to be some crazy top-tier god player, but you sure as poo poo don't need to pay real money to progress in the game or get that basic "I evolved my crazy Japanese monster based on Judeo-Christian mythology" fix.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Give me JetMoto or give me death.... Or well maybe JetMoto 2, death is kinda a harsh alternative to PS1 racing game ports.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Yodzilla posted:

I only started playing Colin McRae with 3 but that game was pretty brutal but loving rad as hell. 4 was great too and if you have any interest in rally driving you owe it to yourself to track them down.

Richard Burns Rally was also out at the same time and made Colin McRae's difficulty look like a need for speed game. RBR is still one of my favorite racing sims to break out and crash repeatedly in (seriously, its hard). RBR also still has a pretty active mod community for the PC so it's also worth tracking down if you enjoy rally games.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

LIMBO KING posted:

:siren: Layton Brothers: Mystery Room :siren: popped up. The prologue and first two cases are free with the rest being IAP.

Wait a minute, where's the professor? What's this have to do with the Layton series? (It actually was an unrelated game that got rebranded into a Professor Layton spinoff. :ssh:)

It's also really good so far. The crime solving elements have been intriguing and a little challenging, even though these are the easiest cases in the game. It's more challenging than Phoenix Wright that's for sure. Dialog is enjoyable.

There also seems to be a Hannibal like element to the game based on the second case.

You get cases 3-9 for 5 bucks. That seems a really good deal honestly.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 27, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

You get cases 3-9 for 5 bucks. That seems a really good deal honestly.

Are all the cases contained in the basic app file or do you download more content when you buy them? I can swing 150mb, but not 600 or whatever the final file size will be once it's all said and done.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Bummey posted:

Are all the cases contained in the basic app file or do you download more content when you buy them? I can swing 150mb, but not 600 or whatever the final file size will be once it's all said and done.

It's all in the same file.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

LIMBO KING posted:

Wait, is that guy in the game's icon supposed to be Layton's son? Just how loving old is Hershel, anyway?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hear my tale of woe, oh weary traveller. Today I bought both Hotline Miami and The Last of Us. Am I playing them? Am I gently caress, I'm punching alpacas because the alpaca god demands alpaca souls. Went all the way from first ending through to NG++. The second end form was particularly disturbing.

I thought I was approaching the end. When suddenly I decided to click through the banner to look at a cute plush alpaca only to find this:

https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/arupakaniisan-biginzu/id661981800?mt=8

It's another alpaca punching game. All in moon language, but I know what it requires of me. I know the price.

I don't know if this is in the stores on your side of the world. Pray that it is not, you don't want to be me. I'm now leaping from app to app in an eternal cycle of death and mutation and oh god the horror. THE HORROR.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 27, 2013

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Parkingtigers posted:

Hear my tale of woe, oh weary traveller. Today I bought both Hotline Miami and The Last of Us. Am I playing them? Am I gently caress, I'm punching alpacas because the alpaca god demands alpaca souls. Went all the way from first ending through to NG++. The second end form was particularly disturbing.

I thought I was approaching the end. When suddenly I decided to click through the banner to look at a cute plush alpaca only to find this:

It's another alpaca punching game. All in moon language, but I know what it requires of me. I know the price.

I don't know if this is in the stores on your side of the world. Pray that it is not, you don't want to be me. I'm now leaping from app to app in an eternal cycle of death and mutation and oh god the horror. THE HORROR.

Oh god no. Noooooooo. :psyduck:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Oh god yes. YESSSSSSSSS. :psypop:

I've never done this before because I hate it, but

fixed.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The new music ... it's so soothing. (Kill me) I just want to bathe in it. (Oh god please kill me.)

quote:

Description

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
Blockbuster app "alpaca brother"
Sequel is finally!
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

This story begins ...

Story of long ago from accident of alpaca village ...

Alpaca to split, with the intention of individual

They are to become a figure you want

I absorb the alpaca other

It was waiting for them on the ends of the evolution ...

■ differences between alpaca brother
Two routes appeared 1. Now!
Form changes on whether evolve 2. Either!
Multiple endings of one 3.4!
If you clear the ending of 4. All
Truth of the alpaca is known!
The liver evolution of different types and up to 5. Now!
A 6. New BGM!

■ About alpaca
Alpaca that was attacked is actually is alive
It should not kill
I began to walk well again and stand a certain period of time

They decided that you, and you will live together

However you can now just it

■ New update information, etc. is here
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/cocosola.jp

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 27, 2013

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Is this new alpaca game iPad only? I just checked on my iPhone logged into the japanese app store), and didn't see it :(

EDIT: Hm, seems it isn't. Don't know why I can't pull it up on my phone (iPhone 5).

Bummey
May 26, 2004

It's in the US store.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Parkingtigers posted:

Apparently it was released today, and its name translates to Alpaca Brother Begins. So much for sleeping well tonight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is this a sequel or prequel and does it keep with continuity of the first game? The plot is integral to the original so I'm worry the can't keep up with the story.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this a sequel or prequel and does it keep with continuity of the first game? The plot is integral to the original so I'm worry the can't keep up with the story.

Can you read moon runes? No? Devour alpacas.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Bummey posted:

It's in the US store.

You sure about that? Just switched back to the US store and not seeing the sequel there either.

Edit: Looks like the name is in moon language. Searched for cocosola and found it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The top left button on the first game should be an App Store link to it.

Edit: top left button when you open the menu I mean.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Also it was linked on this very page, like, two posts up.

Here's the link again.

click that ^^

I picked the left option on the first evolution. I don't know what the difference is but now I'm a Sergeant Hatred-esque giant breasted alpaca beast that hugs lesser alpacas to death.

edit: the first guy after choosing the left option was a regular bipedal alpaca with a crown. Hatred, here, is about two forms past that.

get

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 27, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Will the alpaca nightmare ever end

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Will the alpaca nightmare ever end

I sure hope not

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Bummey posted:

Also it was linked on this very page, like, two posts up.

Here's the link again.

click that ^^

I picked the left option on the first evolution. I don't know what the difference is but now I'm a Sergeant Hatred-esque giant breasted alpaca beast that hugs lesser alpacas to death.

get

I chose the right option. The dude with the crown bolted, and now I'm a two headed alpaca without a crown :(

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Didn't know I could click links from the iPhone to get it to open up in that app store. Figured that link would just take me to Apple's site that tells me to open iTunes. Was browsing on the PC anyways here at work.

But yeah, I have alpacas now. Yay alpacas.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 27, 2013

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
My girlfriend and I are going on a trip tonight and will be having some downtime on the road.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend a game or two that could be played on her Iphone and we could take turns playing against each other, something like chess maybe but with more fun visuals?

My ipod got lost a while ago so i'm looking to get a new one in the future.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

SAHChandler posted:

I chose the right option. The dude with the crown bolted, and now I'm a two headed alpaca without a crown :(

Oh christ, PICK THE LEFT OPTION. PICK. THE LEFT. OPTION. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

SAHChandler posted:

Oh christ, PICK THE LEFT OPTION. PICK. THE LEFT. OPTION. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID.

And now I'm regretting left. I wish I could have the app twice and run both options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Alpacachat part 2: Alpaca Harder

Oh hey, a Layton-related game? I'll check that out.

• Locked thread