Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

I loving love those Preludes, but...

... this new CADILLAC approaches well-nigh to perfection.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

fingerling posted:

Today I actually managed to get up to my brother in law's place. He has a long-standing relationship with his car(s). His baby is a 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 Compact. He bought it around 20 years ago, immediately did a bare metal respray, then moved to Adelaide. It's something of a long running joke (other than the "things being older than me: his ug boots, ownership of the Fairlanes") that he may actually grow up once it's 'finished'.. but we'll see if he ever gets there.

I didn't get a photo of any engine bays, stupidly, but neither of them have stock engines. His Baby has a 289 crate engine from.. somewhere, I don't remember, which was originally going to go in the white one, which proceeded to die. It's been a hilarious line of unluckiness, none the less!

The interior on this one is absolutely immaculate. It feels like you're floating (which is what I imagine you would feel like after your face goes through the steering wheel in an accident!).

And his other exact same car, only in cool white! This was his and my sister's daily driver for around 10 years. Has a 302 Windsor in it, and runs on gas. The reason it's AI? Because using a car like that daily takes brass ones in Aus.. and on gas it uses 15L per 100km.. or 3.5 MPG (:laugh:) for you backwards Imperials.

As he lives in the hills, he's managed to finagle a deal with one of his rather eccentric neighbours (no, not the TV show) into letting him use one of their empty sheds. Turns out, since I was last there, the owner's daughter has started moving some of her cars in.. whilst completely blocking the Fords. But apparently she's going through a divorce, so no great shocks there! Anyway, the other cars in there:

Some kind of 50s Bedford? I have no clue!

I actually prefer the look of this one; the patina and dust just.. suit it somehow! (Also it doesn't have a bad paintjob, unlike the red one).

And finally, the car that is apparently being restored there. All of it's bodywork is behind the green Fairlane, but the badging on the back of the truck says Vauxhaull. The ID plate states General Motors, so I think it may be an FJ or FX that was.. sent to Europe or something? I'm not sure! :iiam:

And sorry for the bad photos, wasn't thinking I would get to see these today, so all I had on me was my phone.

That is a pretty amazing collection. My girlfriend has a '64 EH named Doug. Yup, imagine how emasculated I must feel! He's pretty cool but I can't help but hope that Holden goes the same way as Ford in Aus and then he might actually be worth a bit of cash. In the mean time he trundles around, hates wet weather (wants to spin those tyres and slide around), hates hot weather (overheating) and generally provides a great example of why Australian engineering is the envy of the developed world.... or somthing

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Also I get to spend a day with these ridiculous fuckers a few weeks ago to shoot a film. Such a bonkers car.

Here's the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqJs0mqH9M

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

That is some serious hotness apart from the front bumper

Top gear filling the mall with british cars for the next series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjZ8rdUfhs4

donut
Feb 4, 2001

These were both parked in front of the Regent Beverly Wilshire hotel in Beverly Hills on Sunday. The Huayra has been parked there frequently for at least a week now if anyone in the area wants to see it in the flesh.

More Beverly Hills Veyrons. These were parked behind Bijan (the self-proclaimed "most expensive store in the world") on Rodeo a while ago.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

donut posted:

These were both parked in front of the Regent Beverly Wilshire hotel in Beverly Hills on Sunday. The Huayra has been parked there frequently for at least a week now if anyone in the area wants to see it in the flesh.

More Beverly Hills Veyrons. These were parked behind Bijan (the self-proclaimed "most expensive store in the world") on Rodeo a while ago.

No valet? Poors.

:smugdog:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

That is some serious hotness apart from the front bumper

Top gear filling the mall with british cars for the next series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjZ8rdUfhs4

Man Shmee150 is everywhere these days. From what I understand he just drives around his R8 and takes pics of supercars all day. Somewhere in there is profit i think.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Video

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:qqsay: "BUT REAL MEN DRIVE STICK!"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wait......I think I've seen that thing a Macungie....that dude must be semi-local to me. That's some seriously AI poo poo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sweet 2.5 second reaction time there.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I'm pretty sure that was intentional to build boost.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

angryhampster posted:

I'm pretty sure that was intentional to build boost.

I feel like you would need to rappel down mission impossible stylie to work on that beautiful loving car.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

slothrop posted:

That is a pretty amazing collection. My girlfriend has a '64 EH named Doug. Yup, imagine how emasculated I must feel! He's pretty cool but I can't help but hope that Holden goes the same way as Ford in Aus and then he might actually be worth a bit of cash. In the mean time he trundles around, hates wet weather (wants to spin those tyres and slide around), hates hot weather (overheating) and generally provides a great example of why Australian engineering is the envy of the developed world.... or somthing

As someone who has daily driven an EJ Holden successfully, you need to start treating that thing right :colbert: Heat was only ever an issue with mine when the water pump needed replacing. I've got wide wheels and a 149 so breaking traction was never an issues, really

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fingerling posted:

Some kind of 50s Bedford? I have no clue!

I actually prefer the look of this one; the patina and dust just.. suit it somehow! (Also it doesn't have a bad paintjob, unlike the red one).

And finally, the car that is apparently being restored there. All of it's bodywork is behind the green Fairlane, but the badging on the back of the truck says Vauxhaull. The ID plate states General Motors, so I think it may be an FJ or FX that was.. sent to Europe or something? I'm not sure! :iiam:

And sorry for the bad photos, wasn't thinking I would get to see these today, so all I had on me was my phone.
Both of the trucks are International, the first truck clearly says that :)

The car, taking a stab, is a Vauxhall of some sort.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Wyvern E Series, which were built in Australia

You Am I fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 26, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

quote:

One of Rolls-Royce’s stories is that three-quarters of the cars the company has ever produced are still on the road

If that's true, it's pretty awesome, even if on the road is really in a garage 364 days/year.

http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21576225-why-everyone-wants-be-top-end-market-dreams-wheels

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

veedubfreak posted:

You can tell he's still new to it. No cage and a laptop just sitting on the seat next to him. And we all know pros use a good two-step launch control to spool up. Still impressive for what he's done to an old Fairmont.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I can't believe they let him run a 9.9(quarter?!) without a cage and didn't tell him to gently caress off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Who drag-races a third gen Eclipse? A stock Fairmont has more business being there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Who drag-races a third gen Eclipse? A stock Fairmont has more business being there.

Yeah, but he's probably got NAAWSSSSSSSSSSSS. Brah.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The dude also has a beater 300 wheel horsepower '92 Civic with a 2-step, a 600+ whp Chevy 2500 that runs in the 11's and is building a turbo LSX '79 Malibu wagon. He posts as "denmah" on theturboforums.com, there are several build threads for other cars too.

He drives all his cars to the track.

AI as hell.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

You Am I posted:

Both of the trucks are International, the first truck clearly says that :)

Indeed. Red is a 1953 or 1954, the other a 1951 or 1952. I drove a 54 in high school, it threw a rod, and I put a "new" engine in it years later. Unfortunately the "new" engine immediately started losing pressure. Now it's one of those "when I get the time and money" projects to pull the engine and get it machined.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Shoncook, Billy Tully has a '56 S110 or S130 with the Black Diamond (I forget displacement, around 4 liters or so) and a T9 tranny in it, you should post more pics! Also, if you know anyone who has good brake drums (the 14"x2 1/8" ones with a 6 lug pattern for a 4 bolt brake backing plate flange) or a clutch for that setup handy, I know for a fact he's been looking for those. I've still got some leads to chase down but haven't found anything yet.

wallaka posted:

The dude also has a beater 300 wheel horsepower '92 Civic with a 2-step, a 600+ whp Chevy 2500 that runs in the 11's and is building a turbo LSX '79 Malibu wagon. He posts as "denmah" on theturboforums.com, there are several build threads for other cars too.

AI as hell.

Yup.

e: another video, 711hp several days before lifting a head and blowing out the gasket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRcUK_CKJE8

Fairmont, November 1 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNT5M8MDp0A

One day later, determined it can be fixed, probably together in the next day or two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKZ9Q4WUaI

Timed motor removal: 38 minutes.

And yeah, he mentions Allentown in the video, so local to Motronic as he guessed.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 27, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Whats my name? gently caress you! - Thats my name!

In other news. Guess that balls nuts notch back needed some aerodynamic encouragement.

Edit: fuckit photobomb

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 27, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wallaka posted:

AI as hell.

He sold the Fairmont. The 2500 is actually on the original engine with over 200k too.

Guy is loving nuts. And yeah, I spent way too much time going through his YouTube channel today. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akh3hm0ih6c

I definitely don't agree with those speeds on public roads, but holy poo poo that acceleration is blistering. And on the original engine (I think he did a cam and valve springs, the rest of the internals are original with ~212k).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He only touched 100mph. Also, what's with the tach on the last pull?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I'm not normally a fan of this style, but this is loving fantastic. Reverse google image search tells me it's a '66 / '67 Buick Riviera; it's amazing what a difference paint + wheels can make.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BlackMK4 posted:

He only touched 100mph. Also, what's with the tach on the last pull?

Tach can only show up to 6000 - between the valve spring+cam upgrade, the ECU tuning (original ECU with HPTuners stuff, with the fuel cut + shift points being moved), and how hilariously dampened GM tachs are, the stock tach is merely the slightest suggestion of actual engine speed. With the stock tuning, I don't think it'll ever break 5500 at WOT.

GM tachs (hell, all gauges) are laughable enough that the tach in my stock 2006 Saturn Ion shows about 5k the moment I hit the rev limiter in 1st (rev limiter is around.. 6500?).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 27, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I'm not normally a fan of this style, but this is loving fantastic. Reverse google image search tells me it's a '66 / '67 Buick Riviera; it's amazing what a difference paint + wheels can make.

Ha, I thought the same thing, that car looks pretty good. And I'm all smug because as soon as I saw it I thought it was a Buick Riviera. Not bad for an aussie to recognize it straight away I think.

fingerling posted:

Today I actually managed to get up to my brother in law's place. He has a long-standing relationship with his car(s). His baby is a 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 Compact. He bought it around 20 years ago, immediately did a bare metal respray, then moved to Adelaide. It's something of a long running joke (other than the "things being older than me: his ug boots, ownership of the Fairlanes") that he may actually grow up once it's 'finished'.. but we'll see if he ever gets there.

And his other exact same car, only in cool white! This was his and my sister's daily driver for around 10 years. Has a 302 Windsor in it, and runs on gas. The reason it's AI? Because using a car like that daily takes brass ones in Aus.. and on gas it uses 15L per 100km.. or 3.5 MPG (:laugh:) for you backwards Imperials.
Nice cars.
BTW my 2004 BA falcon ute full of tools and gear does 15l/100km, and that's about 16MPG, not 3.5MPG.

And LPG is a lot cheaper than petrol, it's half the price per litre. In fact 15l/100km is very very good mileage for LPG. I think my older falcon that was on LPG used about 20L/100km, and as I said my ute on petrol gets 15L/100km

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 27, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Jaguar CX75 video, they're really getting 500hp out of a 1.6litre engine?! HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Also that above Riviera is the hotness.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

That Jaguar CX75 video, they're really getting 500hp out of a 1.6litre engine?! HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Also that above Riviera is the hotness.

Yeah it's absolutely incredible :)

Also my friend Webb took that Singer shot. Small world :)

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Yeah it's absolutely incredible :)

Also my friend Webb took that Singer shot. Small world :)
Webb Bland? If so, I absolutely adore his work. I follow him on dA, everything he does is magic.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Coronet XX posted:

Webb Bland? If so, I absolutely adore his work. I follow him on dA, everything he does is magic.

Yeah. He's a good lad. He's been advising me on a few of my CX75 static shots. Properly talented and humble dude. Him and Easton are the 2 raddest dudes in the business imho.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Fo3 posted:

BTW my 2004 BA falcon ute full of tools and gear does 15l/100km, and that's about 16MPG, not 3.5MPG.

Yeah I'm retarded. I actually read the correct thing, then wrote down the completely incorrect thing! Prior to moving to the hills, it would average approximately 20L/100km, once they moved into the hills, however, that figure reached 25L/100km. It's amusing to see some of the people on here with huge 'trucks' (the new Jeep, I think I saw someone say they got around 10 MPG around town) achieving the same numbers!

Unrelated;

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
Bristol!

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

kastein posted:

Shoncook, Billy Tully has a '56 S110 or S130 with the Black Diamond (I forget displacement, around 4 liters or so) and a T9 tranny in it, you should post more pics! Also, if you know anyone who has good brake drums (the 14"x2 1/8" ones with a 6 lug pattern for a 4 bolt brake backing plate flange) or a clutch for that setup handy, I know for a fact he's been looking for those. I've still got some leads to chase down but haven't found anything yet.

That's awesome. I knew we had a few Binders on the here, but I didn't know any this old. Finishing grad school took priority over messing with old trucks, so I've lost track of what parts we have spares of. Most of our trucks have the Silver Diamond engine, which are 220 ci. I think we have one or two floating around with the 240, which might be the black diamond. I have frustratingly few pictures, but here's a handful:

This is my dad's R100, I think. The fancy city truck version, with 3 on the tree and factory overdrive. Short wheelbase.

Here's a mine:

I don't think you can see it, but it used to belong to Foster Farms, which was lettered above the windshield, along with a sign that must have been screwed to roof.
With new engine going in. (I thought the paint job was totally rad for some reason)

For a while, my dad and I had cornered the market on parts trucks. The Boneyard was not appreciated by all members of the family.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

This is my favourite image.

I occasionally see Sierras now I live in a rural area and they always make me smile. They seemed so futuristic once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Pretty sure this is awesome. Friend sent me a pic and I didn't even need to follow the link in the watermark to know this was a LeMons racer:

Same guys raced the Porcubimmer a while ago, "the only BMW where the pricks are on the outside."