Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As much as a wet blanket benny might be, working more then 40h a week to afford living shouldnt be a reality for anyone.
Pride in working 50-60h a week at minimum wage is a sign of a hosed up min wage situation benny.

That said do aomething already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Khisareth posted:

In a year I had 54 unique shifts.

How is this even possible? Does Target run some kind of hosed up "1 week = 6.76 days" schedule that results in being able to squeeze 54 weeks into a year with 52?

Khisareth posted:

So it can be a pain to schedule anything, much less a second job.

It's almost like retail chains do this deliberately to keep their wage slaves from working two jobs :iiam:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Geoj posted:

How is this even possible? Does Target run some kind of hosed up "1 week = 6.76 days" schedule that results in being able to squeeze 54 weeks into a year with 52?

Either a shift changed the last minute or changed halfway through.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Geoj posted:

It's almost like retail chains do this deliberately to keep their wage slaves from working two jobs :iiam:

In this new-fangled computer age, places like this tend to have programs do the scheduling for them in the interest of keeping their part-time workers at 39.5 hours or below, instead of sitting down with a big list of "worker availability" and a chart to figure it out by hand. A side effect of that is that it just spits out a randomized schedule per week without any attention paid to keeping people on the same schedules.

e: Which, I will add, makes it all the more imperative that you take the hours you can.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 27, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zedd posted:

As much as a wet blanket benny might be, working more then 40h a week to afford living shouldnt be a reality for anyone.
Pride in working 50-60h a week at minimum wage is a sign of a hosed up min wage situation benny.

That is a true statement. To reiterate: Washington and Oregon's minimum wages are livable at full-time for most of each state.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Zedd posted:

This is true but Benny needs a lot of money now for a major life overhaul and should work himself to the bone in the short-term. Hopefully he can lower his hours once he is established out of his house with transportation.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Toriori posted:

I don't think you should get a second job, but make it clear you're willing to pick up shifts and work more (oh and actually follow through with it). Hell, if you're willing to tolerate and be respectful while living with your family, stay home and save up for a car. I don't know how it is in the states but buying a new car was cheaper to insure and more economical than buying a used for me. Goons are quick to harp for not doing exactly as they think is right, but you really seem to lack motivation and concentration- you won't ever truly succeed until you dedicate the self discipline and lifestyle changes required to get yourself up off the ground.
Also, don't be so bitter about family gatherings. You never know what's going to happen and ten years from now you could be thinking about how badly you wished you appreciated all that.
It's funny that you mention the car: sitting in the library, considering my options, I actually came to the same concision. How can I fly away from the nest without getting wings and making sure they work? On top of that, I got a call and an email from a document processing company that I met at the job fair. They're based north of Pomona so I'm scheduling an interview with them the week after next: best do it after a major holiday. So my new play is to get a car first, then look into a second/better job. Juggling two jobs at the same time is considerably more difficult when you don't have a reliable means of transportation.

And besides, I have a feeling I'll be getting 30+ hours through Target come August. Why? Back to school season starts early here in So-Cal. I'm gonna show up early to work today to talk to HR about set hours, more hours, and back-to-school. They've trained me to work as a cashier so I have a feeling I'll be able to pad out my hours by jumping on the register. My goal is to move out of the house by September: my birth month. First I'll need to get a car and then get more hours.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Before you get a new job, before you get a car, before you get yet another thing you need to take responsibility for dealing with for an extended period of time, you need to talk to a therapist.

Benny, have you talked to a therapist?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Benny the Snake posted:

They're based north of Pomona so I'm scheduling an interview with them the week after next: best do it after a major holiday.
WTF?

When you apply for a job you want to demonstrate eagerness. You want this job, and you're putting everything you have on the line. When you are unemployed, the only correct answer to "When are you available?" is "I'm flexible; what's the first time you have available?" When you're employed, the correct answer is "X, Y, and Z, but I can work around your schedule."

"Wait until after a major holiday" is ludicrous. You're making excuses.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Benny the Snake posted:

It's funny that you mention the car: sitting in the library, considering my options, I actually came to the same concision. How can I fly away from the nest without getting wings and making sure they work? On top of that, I got a call and an email from a document processing company that I met at the job fair. They're based north of Pomona so I'm scheduling an interview with them the week after next: best do it after a major holiday. So my new play is to get a car first, then look into a second/better job. Juggling two jobs at the same time is considerably more difficult when you don't have a reliable means of transportation.

And besides, I have a feeling I'll be getting 30+ hours through Target come August. Why? Back to school season starts early here in So-Cal. I'm gonna show up early to work today to talk to HR about set hours, more hours, and back-to-school. They've trained me to work as a cashier so I have a feeling I'll be able to pad out my hours by jumping on the register. My goal is to move out of the house by September: my birth month. First I'll need to get a car and then get more hours.

When you get called for an interview, you get your rear end in that office ASAP. Who gives a poo poo about holidays? Stop sabotaging yourself.

You must have it really good at home.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Benny the Snake posted:

Ugh no Benny, no. Bad. You go NOW. GO NOW. Major holiday, who cares? Do you know how lovely it looks to an employer when you hum and haw and schedule after a major holiday? Why is it better that way? Don't think that back to school season is your trump card, I'm sure there will be student employees who left for the summer coming back then as well.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

He's not even trying, look at that poo poo. Benny, be honest, you like living at home don't you? You started this thread complaining about how terrible your family is yet the only thing you've done to fix it so far is working 25 hours a week at a crappy minimum wage job you can't even do right (trying to weasel your way out of an agreement to cover someone? gently caress you) Let's not forget how you lost two jobs prior to this one due to your own stupidity/laziness. Now you finally have a shot at a better job and what do you do? You tell them 'after the holidays.' Good job, you've already weakened your chances at getting that job.

Maybe you do need therapy, though I sincerely doubt it will help you at all considering you don't seem to care enough. Have you looked for any therapists since it was suggested months ago? Did you even do a google search for 'therapists in <city>?' Get your poo poo together dude, seriously.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Geoj posted:

Someone else said this too, but basically it is all automated based on sales needs or whatever, so one day I might work 8am-5pm, the next 8:15-4:45, the next 11am-2pm, the next 8am - 6:45pm. Every week was completely different. It was really crazy.

And no, jobs don't like you working second jobs. I worked for Barnes and Noble for 11 years and by contrast the managers did the schedules manually, and didn't feel like juggling people's availability. So if you had a second job, you were automatically dropped to 8 hours a week, 6 if your job was during the day. Even after being there that long, when I got a second job at the library they did it to me as well, so I just quit.

Summary: retail sucks (but as far as environments go, Target was fun)

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Wow, putting an interview off by two weeks to put it after a major holiday? Have you considered my podcast offer seriously?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Benny the Snake posted:

It's funny that you mention the car: sitting in the library, considering my options, I actually came to the same concision. How can I fly away from the nest without getting wings and making sure they work?

Aren't you like 30? And what the hell is a concision? There's something wrong if you're scrambling conclusion and decision into the same word. It's scary that people like you end up being teachers - nobody tell this guy about teaching in Korea or subbing in the US, for the sake of our children's future etc.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

It's funny that you mention the car: sitting in the library, considering my options, I actually came to the same concision. How can I fly away from the nest without getting wings and making sure they work?

What the gently caress is this poo poo? You made it through college, you've had independent employment, you now have wings. Adults don't go into lease agreements, car payments, new roomate situations, making friends, getting new jobs, etc. with someone holding their hand every step of the way, you do your best, succeed sometimes and learn from your fuckups.

Admit it, you're comfortable, and you don't want to pay rent or live at a standard lower than upper middle class suburb lifestyle with excessive free time to boot. Just admit it.

Benny the Snake posted:

They're based north of Pomona so I'm scheduling an interview with them the week after next: best do it after a major holiday. So my new play is to get a car first, then look into a second/better job. Juggling two jobs at the same time is considerably more difficult when you don't have a reliable means of transportation.

Someone else is getting this job. Someone's interviewing for it today, they'll have started the job before the 4th. You've already lost the job if you're putting off an interview for over a week. This isn't the Christmas season, it's a long weekend for government employees a week from now.

You won't buy a car, you won't get a second, or a different job, you don't want either of these things enough to get off your butt and pursue them. You aren't hungry.

I think it's truly cute that you were on your rear end in a library doing probably not much in your time off from your part time job, and decided that you shouldn't move out of your parents' house because you haven't had enough time to grow up.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
If a company wants to hire someone that means they have work that needs doing. Work that needs doing needs doing now. The position will not be available in two weeks.

You are not special. They will not hold a position for you for two weeks. You haven't even had an interview yet to convince them you are the best person for the job, where they might somehow decide that bringing you on two weeks from now would make sense. Right now you are just some guy who doesn't really want the job.

Goddamn.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You don't need a loving car to move out. All you need is a job offer. March '01 I moved hours away from home and started fresh with a box of clothes, a lovely computer and $50 to my name. Today, I'm a comfortable homeowner with a wonderful wife, two hilarious cats, three hot cars and a cozy house that I've never made a late mortgage payment on. Know what happened between March 2001 and today? 12 years of 40 hours a week. Minimal days off - I am always near the cap for carried days. Flipping computers on Craigslist for extra cash. Applying for that promotion. Applying for that job. Self-educating to get certifications so I had an advantage. Learning how to replace my own radiators and fix my own HVAC. You get the idea.

Learn to work like a motherfucker, so that you may play like a motherfucker once it's quitting time. I'm not saying immerse yourself in an awful job that gives you anger issues and hurts others, but stop cherrypicking shifts and jobs. Stick your neck out, and you will beat the other 99 guys who won't do the same.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

gently caress the ROW posted:

And what the hell is a concision? There's something wrong if you're scrambling conclusion and decision into the same word. It's scary that people like you end up being teachers - nobody tell this guy about teaching in Korea or subbing in the US, for the sake of our children's future etc.

Yes, I too have never made a typo.

Come on, there's plenty to criticize without resorting to that.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Benny, are you a space alien sent here to learn about us? Because that's the only way any of this makes sense.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yes, I too have never made a typo.

Come on, there's plenty to criticize without resorting to that.

That's not a typo, that's some sort of carefully cultivated dyslexia.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

gently caress the ROW posted:

That's not a typo, that's some sort of carefully cultivated dyslexia.

Or it's autocorrect in a phone replacing a typo with the wrong word.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Jonny 290 posted:

You don't need a loving car to move out. All you need is a job offer. March '01 I moved hours away from home and started fresh with a box of clothes, a lovely computer and $50 to my name. Today, I'm a comfortable homeowner with a wonderful wife, two hilarious cats, three hot cars and a cozy house that I've never made a late mortgage payment on. Know what happened between March 2001 and today? 12 years of 40 hours a week. Minimal days off - I am always near the cap for carried days. Flipping computers on Craigslist for extra cash. Applying for that promotion. Applying for that job. Self-educating to get certifications so I had an advantage. Learning how to replace my own radiators and fix my own HVAC. You get the idea.

Learn to work like a motherfucker, so that you may play like a motherfucker once it's quitting time. I'm not saying immerse yourself in an awful job that gives you anger issues and hurts others, but stop cherrypicking shifts and jobs. Stick your neck out, and you will beat the other 99 guys who won't do the same.

Okay, I'm always a little hesitant to post about my own process because you know, goons, but my story is kind of like the alternative to yours.
I stayed home during for almost my entire university career (we are both still in uni) because it was local and I chose to save money instead; when my grandmother got sick and moved into my parents, I moved in with my fiancé and his parents. We saved money all those years and now have our own house, our own car and no debt whatsoever, and we are under 25.
THAT SAID BENNY, we busted our asses to have what we do. Working two jobs sometimes, picking up shifts when available, hell, one summer my partner had two weeks off in the total of four months. This was while we are also both full time grad students.
Staying home to save money is one thing, but you don't seem motivated at all to leave judging by your work ethic (or lack thereof). If you want to leave at some feasible point in the future, you NEED to work harder, stop dragging your feet. Don't take my post you replied too as permission to stay home, you need to be honest with yourself and set your own priorities and stick to them.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Benny how much have you spent on pot, comics and movies in the last 3 months?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Arch Stanton posted:

Um, all of it?

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Arch Stanton posted:

He supposedly doesn't like weed. :shrug:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So after discussing this with a friend I've made my decision. I'm calling the employer tomorrow and scheduling an interview for Monday. I'll just call in with a massive hangover summer cold to cover my tracks at work. on my day off next Friday. I'm gonna get my clothes ready, my resume checked, and a ride there. I was afraid of getting in trouble with one job to try to get another but gently caress it; it's retail. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

EDIT: From what I remember, the employer was interested in my research skills, so I'm preparing a writer's portfolio too: three choice research papers from school.

DOUBLE-EDIT: The employer is a legal services company: Subpoenas, court exhibits, records, etc. Probably should've said this earlier.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 28, 2013

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Benny the Snake posted:

I'll just call in with a massive hangover to cover my tracks at work.

What the gently caress, why would you think that is an acceptable excuse?

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Benny the Snake posted:

So after discussing this with a friend I've made my decision. I'm calling the employer tomorrow and scheduling an interview for Monday. I'll just call in with a massive hangover to cover my tracks at work. I'm gonna get my clothes ready, my resume checked, and a ride there. I was afraid of getting in trouble with one job to try to get another but gently caress it; it's retail. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

EDIT: From what I remember, the employer was interested in my research skills, so I'm preparing a writer's portfolio too: three choice research papers from school.

maybe you should post it here or at least show it to people who have half a clue before you go.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

I'll just call in with a massive hangover to cover my tracks at work.

Don't do this. Call in with something nondescript that can't be blamed on your actions, like a migraine or stomach flu. Saying you can't make it in because you're massively hung over also says "I irresponsibly over drink the night before I'm scheduled to work."

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Shadowgate posted:

What the gently caress, why would you think that is an acceptable excuse?
I over-thought it :doh: I do that a lot. I'll just call in sick or unavailable.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.
Jesus Christ, Benny.

Do you have any other weekdays besides Monday off? Schedule the interview for a day you don't work. Fuckin' a, dude.

Fuckin' a.

:negative:

(Oh, and don't say you have a hangover. Never do that. gently caress.)

e:

BENNY posted:

I over-thought it :doh: I do that a lot. I'll just call in sick or unavailable.

How the gently caress is that the result of overthinking, Benny? What was your thought process? "Hm, better lie to my employer by making myself sound irresponsible as hell! That'll work great!"

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

So after discussing this with a friend I've made my decision. I'm calling the employer tomorrow and scheduling an interview for Monday. I'll just call in with a massive hangover to cover my tracks at work. I'm gonna get my clothes ready, my resume checked, and a ride there. I was afraid of getting in trouble with one job to try to get another but gently caress it; it's retail. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

DOUBLE-EDIT: The employer is a legal services company: Subpoenas, court exhibits, records, etc. Probably should've said this earlier.

*unholy shrieking sounds*

Seriously Benny you are going about this the worst way possible. Don't risk your current job for a chance to have another one. Be honest to the guys wanting to give you an interview - you take your current job seriously despite it being a min wage slave job, and would like to work with them to get an interview set up at a time convenient for both of you.

A hangover? Really? You know what that'll say about you? You can't hold your liquor or prioritize getting to your job over drinking until 3am. I mean you could at least make something up like you got really sick, or your mother is sick and you need to take care of her. Anything over "I got too drunk lol sorry loving you all over again!"

Or you know, if you didn't gently caress over your coworkers and make yourself out to be an unreliable, selfish prick you could have had a coworker cover for you while you went for the interview!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

*unholy shrieking sounds*

Seriously Benny you are going about this the worst way possible. Don't risk your current job for a chance to have another one. Be honest to the guys wanting to give you an interview - you take your current job seriously despite it being a min wage slave job, and would like to work with them to get an interview set up at a time convenient for both of you.

A hangover? Really? You know what that'll say about you? You can't hold your liquor or prioritize getting to your job over drinking until 3am. I mean you could at least make something up like you got really sick, or your mother is sick and you need to take care of her. Anything over "I got too drunk lol sorry loving you all over again!"

Or you know, if you didn't gently caress over your coworkers and make yourself out to be an unreliable, selfish prick you could have had a coworker cover for you while you went for the interview!
I'll schedule it on my day off: next Friday then.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This is amazing. Magical. :allears:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You only work 25 hours a week, Jesus Christ schedule it for a morning or afternoon you aren't working.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Benny how much money have you spent on pot, booze, comics and movies in the past 3 months?

Also by the way, most of those "legal services" companies are pretty scammy. You'll likely be employed to telemarket lovely prepaid legal services contracts. Normally I would say you'll hate it but you can make decent money if you are motivated and a good salesmen, but you got fired from a job because you couldn't succeed at putting this into a box, so do the math.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Benny, what is your thought process when you are making a "plan" like any of your recent ones in the thread? Literally, how do you get to "I'll wait two weeks to schedule an interview" or "I'll call in hungover to work" instead of "I'll schedule an interview for the earliest time that fits my work schedule"?

It's like you're Goofus in Highlights magazine only in real life; you seem incapable of making an obvious, rational choice in fairly simple situations. I honestly fear for you :ohdear: if you don't find some way to improve your options assessment and decision-making skills.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Benny I'm not saying this to be mean or hurtful, it's the only advice I can think of to give.

Your parents are going to die, could be tomorrow, could be in 50 years. But when that day comes there will be no one to take care of you and you're going to find yourself woefully unprepared for adult life. Even as lovely as they act sometimes no one else on this planet will look after you as they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Benny the Snake posted:

From what you remember? Benny, you need to know what they want. The only excuse for not understanding at least the basics of a job you are interviewing for is if they call you out of the blue offering a phone interview. What does the job involve? What can you offer them? Have you done any research? Is the company a scam? Many "legal services" companies are. Does it involve sales? If so how can you sell yourself as able to do it. If they offer some kind of commission work run.

If it is legit they are not hiring you because you can pontificate on Hamlet or tell them what caused World War II. That is not what they mean by research. They probably want to know whether you can serve papers, write up legal-type documents, and things of that nature. Does your portfolio have any of that in it? How about any skills in being able to locate people using the internet?

If you walk into the interview blind they will only hire you if everyone else going for the job is equally ignorant and you are the most likeable or seem the most minimally competent. Do you like those odds?

Have you even looked up the place online? Found a job listing?

I just picture you wandering into the interview with no idea what the job is, with a completely inappropriate portfolio, and asking questions that make them roll their eyes because you have no idea why you are there.

Also, go over to BFC. There is an interviewing thread there. READ THE WHOLE THING!

• Locked thread