Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

I bought it a couple years back, played to about chapter 10 and sold it for being boring.

You made it way too far into that game then. Once you have infinite money you can do the last fun thing in the game and then you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
Welp, the corporation that owns Atlus is going bankrupt. Please don't die Persona 5.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

O__O posted:

Welp, the corporation that owns Atlus is going bankrupt. Please don't die Persona 5.

Atlus is a fairly successful and well-known company in its own right. It'll just get purchased the same way the various dev studios owned by THQ were when they went under.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

O__O posted:

Not quite, it's a corporate re-org right now, not a chapter 11 or equivalent. They may still sell off subsidiaries but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I am not a pro but I read it as they need to fire the upper management people that the Japanese Security Exchange is going after and then work with their creditors for a plan to fix their $250 million debt (probably Zynga style, with a revolving credit line or something).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Atlus should sell off their unused IPs anyway. I'd love it if someone made a new Steambot Chronicles game.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Unguided posted:

Atlus should sell off their unused IPs anyway. I'd love it if someone made a new Steambot Chronicles game.

ATLUS didn't make that. That was iRem.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Anyone know if Legends of Dawn is poo poo or not, I don't follow greenlight/kickstarter so the game just appeared on the steam store to me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Google says it's kinda rear end, and if Google even speaks, then... well, you know.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
The FF5 Feista has gotten me back into the series again and i realized i never played 12 was it any good?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Smornstein posted:

The FF5 Feista has gotten me back into the series again and i realized i never played 12 was it any good?

The IZJS version is the best disc-based FF.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smornstein posted:

International Zodiac Job System version (IZJS) is really good and solves the huge fundamental issue at the core of the game in the US release. It does not, however, ease the slow pace of combat and the occassional sneaking suspicion that you're playing one of the best MMO's of all time solo for some reason.

Be aware the story acts like its going to be really interesting geo-political positioning for power only to hoodwink you into beating up shadow beings and an emperor who would be god but only after you make it through a god-awful and unaccapetably long and repetitive dungeon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People keep saying that the job system in the International edition fixes things a ton but I could have sworn someone said that everyone has fixed stat growths anyways, meaning you just screw yourself over if you try to make people the classes you want rather than ones they're clearly suited for. Is that not true?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People keep saying that the job system in the International edition fixes things a ton but I could have sworn someone said that everyone has fixed stat growths anyways, meaning you just screw yourself over if you try to make people the classes you want rather than ones they're clearly suited for. Is that not true?

The difference in end game abilities is really minor and at the point where you're sperging about the fact that Balthier's gun animation is fractionally slower than other characters and thus makes him the worst character to have as a gunner is looooooong past the point where you've killed Yiazmat.

What it fixes for me, though, is the gambits in that it just gives them to you at the start instead of having to get further into the game to have the thing the game is built around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone has fixed stat growths but I don't think the difference is *that* major. It's somewhat noticeable, but not so huge that the game is unwinnable if you make people what you want? Basch is always gonna be a worse Black Mage than everyone else, but if you make him a Black Mage he's still perfectly usable.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

^^^^HP and MP is not fixed, though. You can save and reload to get optimal growth if you really want to.

Any issues with battle speed instantly goes away once you set the Battle Speed to max. Once I tried that, my experience with the game improved immensely and I've never changed it since. This does make Active mode a lot harder, though, so I think it works best in Wait mode.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 28, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The real secret to making FFXII engaging is to set it to maximum active speed and use gambits only for auto-attack, buffs, and post-battle curing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Coughing Hobo posted:

The real secret to making FFXII engaging is to set it to maximum active speed and use gambits only for auto-attack, buffs, and post-battle curing.

So basically the game plays itself. I guess having to choose a spell now and again makes it interesting.

edit: vvvvvv I never said it did, but acting as if FF12 had some great combat system is just dishonest. It is the same poo poo as just about every other rpg, only automated.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 28, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is mashing ATTACK > ENEMY > ATTACK > ENEMY really that interesting?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So basically the game plays itself. I guess having to choose a spell now and again makes it interesting.

edit: vvvvvv I never said it did, but acting as if FF12 had some great combat system is just dishonest. It is the same poo poo as just about every other rpg, only automated.

Yeah, I'm not saying it has a great battle system, either, but IZJS places a much bigger emphasis on magic making deal quite a bit more damage than auto-attacking in many situations, and if you don't go insane with grinding, this setup strips out a lot of the tedium when fighting random enemies, but stronger enemies and bosses means you have to pay attention.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Not really, what he's suggesting is how I play the game. Set up the gambits for stuff you know you'll use constantly, and just command your characters as needed. You have to set up your gambits in very specific ways to get the game to play itself.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Not entirely sure where to post this since there's no general Elder SCrolls thread BUT has anyone played Morroblivion? It's a remake of Morrowind in Oblivion's engine. Is it decent?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I just finished Trails in the Sky, and drat what an ending! That's the sort of thing that makes me immediately want to pick up the next one.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Too bad we've been waiting like two years for that localization. I thought they might just be waiting to line up for a PC release since the PSP window is long over but who knows.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, I bought it on release and played through it slow as gently caress hoping to draw it out until they announced a Steam release of the sequel, but I can't wait forever!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Not really, what he's suggesting is how I play the game. Set up the gambits for stuff you know you'll use constantly, and just command your characters as needed. You have to set up your gambits in very specific ways to get the game to play itself.

It helps it a bit but the honest problem is that it's just not the most engaging system unless it works for you, which is tough to guess just from hearing about it. FFXII is one of those games where it's down a lot to personal taste more than "play it in this specific way to make it funner."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wendell posted:

Yeah, I bought it on release and played through it slow as gently caress hoping to draw it out until they announced a Steam release of the sequel, but I can't wait forever!

Someone probably knows the exact details better then I, but the game is being translated, just pretty slowly. The first game sold worse then they wanted, and SC is god damned huge, so they're not diverting many resources towards translating it. It's worth pointing out, if I recall correctly, Trails took a year to translate, and SC is around 2.5x longer, so...

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Mill Village posted:

Yeah, gambits are handy for basic things, but as there are only ~10 gambit slots per character it becomes impossible to automate everything. It also gets really tedious if you're silly enough to do everything manually.

Endorph posted:

Everyone has fixed stat growths but I don't think the difference is *that* major. It's somewhat noticeable, but not so huge that the game is unwinnable if you make people what you want? Basch is always gonna be a worse Black Mage than everyone else, but if you make him a Black Mage he's still perfectly usable.

Any character can reach the maximum of 99 strength or magic if they have a job that uses mystic or heavy armour, hitting the cap just happens earlier depending on natural character stats. For powergaming purposes, certain characters have higher dps using certain combo heavy weapons due to animation speed, but it's not a huge deal.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 1, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll be leaving on a week-long business trip this weekend, and all I'll be able to bring is a non-gaming laptop. Anyone have some nice, long RPGMaker games they can recommend? I've been playing Tales of the Drunken Paladin (it's great), and I tried Master of the Wind (too preachy), and I've also finished both Exit Fate and Last Scenario.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The best thing ff12 has going for it is its excellent dungeon design and great visuals. The problem is that the randomized chest bullshit makes exploration almost meaningless, draining the fun out of dungeoneoring.

So I managed to trude trough both Eschalon games, and I actually loved them. The skill system is varied and fun and the game easily enables jack of all trades characters. At the end of the first game I was a sword swinging mage that could hide in shadows and brew a multitude of potions and enchantments.

The biggest problem with the first game is the horrible walking speed. You just move soooo slowly. The second game makes your walking speed much faster and also adds the incredible ability to pick and move around explosive barrels. At one point I blew a door up to steal everything inside and a town guard saw me, so I had to get 2 more barrels and blow him up too. Really nails that old school feel without being too punishing.

The need to level up your mapping skill isnt too bad either, both games provide a way to raise it early on.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I'll be leaving on a week-long business trip this weekend, and all I'll be able to bring is a non-gaming laptop. Anyone have some nice, long RPGMaker games they can recommend? I've been playing Tales of the Drunken Paladin (it's great), and I tried Master of the Wind (too preachy), and I've also finished both Exit Fate and Last Scenario.

master of the wind is freaking awful. a lot of the games that have awards on rpgmaker sites are awful because of the program's ability to attract fifteen year olds.

these are not long but they are great:

Rise of the Third Power (not even finished, basically a demo but wow good feelings. kind of hard to explain why it is so good feeling but play it and ye shall know...)
Rose Chronicles (download link (also not finished but very beautiful and a triumph of intelligent game design. hard to find a download link of the latest version. i will ask my contacts)
Balmung Cycle is very good game with Treasure of the Rudras graphics and norse mythology.
Sunset Over Imdahl is not an RPG. there are no battles. There are just some minigames and you talking to people, trying to figure out what happened to the town you are in. All of the backgrounds are hand-drawn and the game looks very pretty.

as for longer games~~ unfortunately last scenario and exit fate are top-tier and nothing really comes close...but..

The Way is kind of polarizing. it's an episodic series with a very interesting world which the author never really explained very well because he was going through some severe mental trauma of some kind when he was making the latter games. This video is a good metaphor for how the series ends. Also, a lot of items and scenes you will just not find without a walkthrough, which does exist. That said, I really like collecting stuff and playing as an amoral, psychotic murderer, so this is cool. Also, it has the option to turn regular battles off, which I like. Along with Exit Fate and Last Scenario, this is the only rpgmaker game (games) I have ever replayed.
Dhux's Scar has an interesting plot and characters+battle archetypes until about halfway through the game. At 3/4 of the way through I found myself saying "Really....Really..." because of how bad things had gotten. Consider playing until "the twist" (you will know) and then stopping because anything you make up will be better than what comes next. Also, it features customized rpgmaker gore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The other day I felt some weird desire to complete the Xenosaga trilogy, having only beaten the first game some 11 years ago (yikes)! From what I've heard, the second's combat is really bad, but the third picks up somewhat and is generally regarded as the best in the series. So two questions: 1) Do all the meandering storylines ever begin to come together at any point, and 2) Do they manage to write Chaos, who in my mind represents all the worst trends in JRPG characterization, out of the plot?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The other day I felt some weird desire to complete the Xenosaga trilogy, having only beaten the first game some 11 years ago (yikes)! From what I've heard, the second's combat is really bad, but the third picks up somewhat and is generally regarded as the best in the series. So two questions: 1) Do all the meandering storylines ever begin to come together at any point, and 2) Do they manage to write Chaos, who in my mind represents all the worst trends in JRPG characterization, out of the plot?

1) Uh, kind of.

2) Hahaha, hell no.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The third is, in fact, the worst, and not canon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not canon how, like they took the original director off the project?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
He's being GulagDolls again, nothing de-canons it.

I also wonder how the hell you could consider XS3 worse than 2 unless oh my god you were playing entirely for the story weren't you

edit: but seriously, HaKox existing means XS3 is categorically the best in series

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The third is totally the best, if only because it goes completely off the loving rails in terms of plot, people's power levels in battle, the amount of flair getting tossed around, and Allen the Weedy Scientist joining your battle party so he can be a hero at last.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also features Shion finishing her descent past Luke from Tales of the Abyss to claim the title of Most Intolerable JRPG Main Protagonist Ever.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

It also features Shion finishing her descent past Luke from Tales of the Abyss to claim the title of Most Intolerable JRPG Main Protagonist Ever.

The scene that is nothing but Allen calling her on her poo poo, despite all the damage it's doing to him in the process between her/her ex is probably my most cathartic moment in that entire franchise, because MAN someone had to loving go there.

Please nobody ruin it for me if I'm misremembering. I worry that I am greatly misremembering this scene for some reason.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The third is totally the best, but yeah, Shion is insufferable again. Insufferable in a totally kinda different way than in the other games, but still insufferable nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Thankfully, the plot is busy paying a lot more attention to the rest of the cast, especially when her brother waltzes up and goes 'right this is about me for a while now'.