Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I guessed it but I couldn't believe it was ever popular enough to make into the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

I guessed it but I couldn't believe it was ever popular enough to make into the list.

It's based off Google searches so D's popularity is boosted by people leaning on their keyboard.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
what about F then?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
and E

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
gently caress whoever thought giving a single letter name for your programming language was a cool idea

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

gently caress whoever thought using one of the most common verbs in the English language for the name of a programming language was a good idea.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Zombywuf posted:

gently caress whoever thought using one of the most common verbs in the English language for the name of a programming language was a good idea.

this was the worst thing about playing this game for me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Zombywuf posted:

what, Lisp?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

this was the worst thing about playing this game for me

This can at least be useful when you're in the middle of a game and someone disturbs you by asking what you're playing; you can simply turn to them and say "Go!"

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Stringent posted:

what, Lisp?

i think he means J'ing it

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

digital wizard

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

what, Lisp?

go, it's so dumb that they had to extraoficially name it golang since no one could just search for go.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

yeah everyone just has to call it golang

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Competitive coders love D

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MeruFM posted:

Competitive coders love the D

lol
u forgot a word

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

google is p ruthless when it comes to staying on top of competitive coding.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i wish c# and wpf existed on every platform :smith:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hard NOP Life posted:

go, it's so dumb that they had to extraoficially name it golang since no one could just search for go.

:catstare:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I missed objc because I'm too poor to afford a mac. :geno:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Jerry SanDisky posted:

i wish c# and wpf existed on every platform :smith:

I have unreasonably high hopes for xamarin, but they are trying to make a better iOS designer than Xcode, which quite honestly won't be too hard.

Teched even mentioned xamarin apps will be able to use pcls, which just makes me happy. As a young 26 year old developer, c# sure does appear to be the most satisfying language at present to use.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
bring back display postscript problem solved

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

otoh if the worst thing about a programming language is the name it's already better than average

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

tef posted:

bring back display postscript problem solved

if it was so good why is it dead?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i forgot we live in a meritocracy where adoption is driven by excellence and merit, never mind

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i say the same thing about jim morrison

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

lol

why

d barely has libraries wtf is it good for

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

adobe licensing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why is php alive?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MeruFM posted:

lol

Facebook loves D for some reason, D and PHP what a combo.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Bloody posted:

why is php alive?

the same reason visual basic lasted so long: retards are cheap labor

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

tef posted:

i forgot we live in a meritocracy where adoption is driven by excellence and merit, never mind

its cool that everything is great and only the best versions of things survive, yeah

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why

d barely has libraries wtf is it good for

u don't get to use libraries in competitions maybe it lets u write a for loop in less characters or something

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Ronald Raiden posted:

its cool that everything is great and only the best versions of things survive, yeah

your posting is the exception that proves the rule

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

why is php alive?

it got there first

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

apparently v8 closes over stuff it shouldn't close over, like closing over str for the logIt function:

code:
var run = function () {
  var str = new Array(1000000).join('*');
  var doSomethingWithStr = function () {
    if (str === 'something')
      console.log("str was something");
  };
  doSomethingWithStr();
  var logIt = function () {
    console.log('interval');
  }
  setInterval(logIt, 100);
};
setInterval(run, 1000);
is this typical of lexically scoped closures or is it just javascript being poo poo?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 30, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

apparently v8 closes over stuff it shouldn't close over, like closing over str for the logIt function:

code:
var run = function () {
    if (str === 'something')
  };
  doSomethingWithStr();
    console.log('interval');
  }
  setInterval(logIt, 100);
};
setInterval(run, 1000);
is this typical of lexically scoped closures or is it just javascript being poo poo?

it's probably some automatic optimization; one of the closures references str, pulling it in to the second one is seemingly a reasonable time-memory tradeoff

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Condiv posted:

code:
var run = function () {
    if (str === 'something')
  };
  doSomethingWithStr();
    console.log('interval');
  }
  setInterval(logIt, 100);
};
setInterval(run, 1000);

the idea is that variables are allocated on a frame, for each function scope. when a function contains a reference to it's enclosing scope, it keeps a reference to the frame, not the object in question. you can think of a frame as a hash table of variable names to objects.

the rationale, is something like the following:

function toot() {
var butts = "lol";
function butt() { return butts };
butts = "lol a butt";
return butt;
}
> toot()()
"lol a butt"

if the closure kept a reference to the value stored in butt, rather than the frame, then toot()() would return "lol", not "lol a butt". by keeping a reference to the enclosing frame of the var butts, reassignment doesn't stop closure capture from working

lua does something clever instead of keeping a reference to the enclosing frame all the time, it only points to the frame while it is still inside the function scope, then replaces the reference to point to the variable instead

so the above example would still work, but there wouldn't be the same leak-frames would only be shared across closures while the function toot is called, once it returned, the closure in question would keep a reference to "lol a butt".

i think it's late eh

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tef posted:

the idea is that variables are allocated on a frame, for each function scope. when a function contains a reference to it's enclosing scope, it keeps a reference to the frame, not the object in question. you can think of a frame as a hash table of variable names to objects.

the rationale, is something like the following:

function toot() {
var butts = "lol";
function butt() { return butts };
butts = "lol a butt";
return butt;
}
> toot()()
"lol a butt"

if the closure kept a reference to the value stored in butt, rather than the frame, then toot()() would return "lol", not "lol a butt". by keeping a reference to the enclosing frame of the var butts, reassignment doesn't stop closure capture from working

lua does something clever instead of keeping a reference to the enclosing frame all the time, it only points to the frame while it is still inside the function scope, then replaces the reference to point to the variable instead

so the above example would still work, but there wouldn't be the same leak-frames would only be shared across closures while the function toot is called, once it returned, the closure in question would keep a reference to "lol a butt".

i think it's late eh

i wonder if scala does similar to lua. i can write something like:

code:
val fn = () => {
  var a = 5
  var b = new Array[String](100000)
  ((i: Int) => {a += i; println(a)}, (i: Int) => {a *= i; println(a)})
}

def fnStream: Stream[() => (Int => Unit, Int => Unit)] = fn #:: fnStream

val leakTest = (fnStream map (_()) take 10000).toList
without hitting an outofmemory exception because b is cleaned up by the garbage collector, but the value of a is not just copied because the state of a is shared between both of the lambdas in that tuple.

code:
val (fn1, fn2) = fn()
fn1(5) // prints 10
fn2(10) // prints 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Facebook loves the D

ftfy