Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

nickutz posted:

The progress is allegedly going as fast as the suppliers can provide the hardware. It doesn't seem like the merger can make it go any faster.

Edit: Dish has officially withdrawn their offer for Clearwire. Looks like the wireless ménage à trois merger will be smooth sailing.

With Softbank behind them they may be able to get some higher priority with suppliers. These suppliers are fairly large companies that can shift manufacturing lines around if persuaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

Paging EdEdandEddy, your prayers have been answered.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12586

YAY me too!!!

edit: Wish they had Nokia as an option, I really have no faith in either HTC or Samsung.

Hey quick hypothetical question: if I still had TEP, and tried to get my HTC Arrive repaired / replaced, would they still be able to replace it with another one or would they try and give me a "comparable" model?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

CharlesM posted:

YAY me too!!!

edit: Wish they had Nokia as an option, I really have no faith in either HTC or Samsung.

Hey quick hypothetical question: if I still had TEP, and tried to get my HTC Arrive repaired / replaced, would they still be able to replace it with another one or would they try and give me a "comparable" model?

I'm pretty sure they were gone the last time I had to order one. I had two customers in the same day with Arrives that bricked themselves.

It's entirely possible it was a temporary situation and they'll have them again, but odds are good the exchange list will be something like EVO, EVO Shift, and Samsung Epic.

Couldn't hurt to ask, there's a button they can hit before they create the ticket to see the exchange list. Not something that can be pulled up without the phone handy though, you'd need to actually be in a store most likely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well I didn't actually keep TEP. I cancelled it because it was expensive and my phone was holding up well... until now :)
There aren't new Arrives on eBay anymore, but I got a used one for pretty cheap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

Well I didn't actually keep TEP. I cancelled it because it was expensive and my phone was holding up well... until now :)
There aren't new Arrives on eBay anymore, but I got a used one for pretty cheap.

Yeah arrives should just be really cheap on eBay, if you need one to hold out until whenever those new phones come out then that is your best bet.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

beamrider posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck, by the time lte is in cbus this drat phone will be obsolete. can I at least get a reacharound here sprint?
Congratulations, one LTE tower is complete in Columbus now!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

Congratulations, one LTE tower is complete in Columbus now!
Heh, where's that located?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

S4GRU members are supposed to keep that kind of location info a secret, but I'll spill the beans just this once: Northland High School.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You can just go to Sensorly and see the areas that people have mapped 4G access at.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Above is the LTE coverage (by Sensorly) currently in Knoxville. I can pretty much confirm this from seeing my iPhone change to LTE in these areas.

My question is since LTE isn't official in Knoxville (no LTE shows on the Sprint site) do they throttle it? Is there a switch they flip to make it better once it goes official? I can be standing in the middle of the darkest purple on LTE and it will go from being pretty good to being as bad as 3G. Last week in Nashville I had to cut LTE off because data wouldn't work at all if my phone showed LTE.

This might sound like a stupid question, but I don't completely understand how the process of tower upgrades work. I just have this fear of Sprint LTE being as bad (reliable wise) as 3G.

Edit: Another thing that sucks is I live in the Powell area on that map, and I work in Oak Ridge (which is 15 miles or so west of Powell), so I am not sure if I will ever get LTE in the 2 most important areas.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 28, 2013

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
so I came across this for the iPhone5 on sprint, and was wondering if there's anything like it/known for the 4s. My googlefu fails me on this one. If it even has a chance of improving data speed until LTE gets flipped sometime just before the apocalypse, I'll try it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Paging EdEdandEddy, your prayers have been answered.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12586

In part at least. Sadly neither phone is a high end one, but I am going to see what I can do to snag me a free 8XT if I can. Maybe send them back the new EVO 4G LTE they sent me as a replacement for the one they sent me in October that is starting to have some charging issues. (Won't sell it as they specifically requested not to do so.)

I really hope that we may still have a shot with Nokia on the 11th not releasing the EOS on just AT&T, but it is a slim hope.

Also the Samsung Ativ S Neo while pretty much a cut down S3 hardware wise, might be the better of the two on Sprint mainly due to hardware.. Hmm We will see.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

td4guy posted:

S4GRU members are supposed to keep that kind of location info a secret, but I'll spill the beans just this once: Northland High School.

Between Karl and Cleveland? REALLY? That's the best 1st location we can do here Columbus?!? GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*much wailing and gnashing of teeth*

Thanks for the info tho, maybe I'll do a driveby this weekend and see what kind of speeds I can get.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
The tower closest to me just got LTE and it's GLORIOUS.

I seriously thought it would be another 2 years. Say yes to Michigan.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I wish I could find one of these $150 S3's that are supposed to be everywhere. :colbert:

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I don't know where to post this but I feel as if it is a Sprint issue more than anything.

I have a EVO LTE running CM 10.1 and within the last 2 months my phone will randomly not notify me of a call. The only way I know I missed a call is when GV tells me that I have a voicemail. If I pull up google voice it will not even show me that I had missed a call. If GV showed the missed call plus the voicemail then I would assume it is with my phone/rom but since GV doesnt even see the call I have a feeling that it is Sprint/Google. Right after I find out I miss a call I've tried calling myself and the call always goes through.

This happen to anyone else?

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
When was the last time anyone called sprint to get the signal booster thing? I just called them through a number that was not the one listed in the OP and got turned down and told that I'd have to pay for the airave. I'm going to try the number listed in the OP soon. This is also in Southern California if that matters.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

When was the last time anyone called sprint to get the signal booster thing? I just called them through a number that was not the one listed in the OP and got turned down and told that I'd have to pay for the airave. I'm going to try the number listed in the OP soon. This is also in Southern California if that matters.

I want to try, since over the past three weeks my signal at home has gone to poo poo. Let us know how it goes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drevoak posted:

I don't know where to post this but I feel as if it is a Sprint issue more than anything.

I have a EVO LTE running CM 10.1 and within the last 2 months my phone will randomly not notify me of a call. The only way I know I missed a call is when GV tells me that I have a voicemail. If I pull up google voice it will not even show me that I had missed a call. If GV showed the missed call plus the voicemail then I would assume it is with my phone/rom but since GV doesnt even see the call I have a feeling that it is Sprint/Google. Right after I find out I miss a call I've tried calling myself and the call always goes through.

This happen to anyone else?

I'd had this happen multiple times over the last week. I've been in areas with good signal when it happened too. Random voicemails with no missed calls at all. Phone never rings or anything. HTC one, completely stock.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Tedronai66 posted:

so I came across this for the iPhone5 on sprint, and was wondering if there's anything like it/known for the 4s. My googlefu fails me on this one. If it even has a chance of improving data speed until LTE gets flipped sometime just before the apocalypse, I'll try it.

Just gave this a shot on my iPhone 5. Omaha gets terrible 3G speeds. It may have helped a little bit, but running speed tests on 3G shows quite a lot of variability. Still I got my best test results with the new software. Up to 0.44 Mbps up and down! Best result w/ the old software was 0.36/0.30.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

R.I.P. Nextel. Sprint has pulled the plug on the iDEN network. This is gonna make room for a lot more 850MHz coverage in the coming weeks and months.

Word on the street is that only ~100 Nextel sites across the nation are being converted to modern Sprint towers to fill coverage gaps in the network. I'm praying mine is one of them. The rest are being dismantled and recycled.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

fknlo posted:

I'd had this happen multiple times over the last week. I've been in areas with good signal when it happened too. Random voicemails with no missed calls at all. Phone never rings or anything. HTC one, completely stock.

I've had this lately on my HTC Arrive as well. Not all calls but some don't show up and just have a voicemail later on.

Maybe Sprints working on the tower in affected areas? I know Roseville just got LTE out of nowhere.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

angryrobots posted:

I wish I could find one of these $150 S3's that are supposed to be everywhere. :colbert:

I got them for 149 with a $50 mail in making them 99 with an upgrade in my store.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I mean $150 on craigslist, etc. Trying to stay out of contract, especially with possible tri-band phones coming out within the year.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

angryrobots posted:

I mean $150 on craigslist, etc. Trying to stay out of contract, especially with possible tri-band phones coming out within the year.

More like 200-250 on CL. Dunno where people are picking them up for 150.

Funny enough, I picked up a HTC One for 80 bucks today (Long story). Its pretty awesome. Need to warranty it out because the camera is hosed but other than that, maaan this things pretty drat nice!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'll hopefully be getting a cheap Sprint S4, any takers/offers?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

http://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-sprint/us

Looks like S3 are running around $220-$270 on Swappa. I bought one for $250 and it's been great.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Duckman2008 posted:

What's the price range on this phone right now?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

GEMorris posted:

What's the price range on this phone right now?

Out of contract? 599

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Maybe. Gtalk me bro

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Funny enough, I picked up a HTC One for 80 bucks today (Long story). Its pretty awesome. Need to warranty it out because the camera is hosed but other than that, maaan this things pretty drat nice!

I ended up renewing my contract (SERO) and getting a One. It's my first smartphone, and I'm coming from a flip mil-spec Sanyo with an extendable antenna and no camera.

I'm going to give it a week or so (plus traveling to an area with supposed LTE) to pass judgement on the service, but first impression is that data reception is pretty dramatically reduced, especially indoors. Call quality on the other hand, is greatly improved and much clearer.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Can someone clarify if I'm on an LTE signal and then my phone drops down to 3G, I should still get upgraded 3G speeds right? I have an Evo 4G LTE that I've hated for the past year, and despite living in the Chicago market which is supposed to have LTE everywhere, I'm on 3G almost all the time and it's slow as poo poo.

I've been doing speedtests everywhere I go over the past few weeks to categorize how awful Sprint is in the Chicago market, at least through the eyes of my Evo 4G LTE. See if you can spot the 2 times I was on an upgraded 3G tower, or the 1 time I was on an LTE tower.

I don't think I can last another year on my contract with this phone so I think the best option is to try another phone. I've been looking at the Galaxy Nexus, since I think I can sell my Evo LTE and cover the cost of the Nexus. But I don't mind spending a bit more if the SGS3 has really good LTE performance. Basically, what mid-level phone can I get right now that won't cost me an arm and leg out of contract and has better LTE performance than the Evo?

I'm done with HTC after the mess the EVo 4G LTE is. All of you that are looking at getting the HTC One, please for the love of god, get the Samsung Galaxy S4 and save yourself a ton of headaches with LTE reception.

edit - And for clarification, according to Sensorly I should be bathing in a sea of LTE - that's just not the case, as the speedtests show. I'm almost never on LTE, and when I am it seems to drop back down to 3G the minute I walk in a building. I can do the airplane mode flip to get back on to LTE sometimes, so I know it's the phone and its lovely ability to switch to LTE.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 2, 2013

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Hahaha, I wish I had your speeds. I'm at like half that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Try updating your PRL / Network Profile.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Can someone clarify if I'm on an LTE signal and then my phone drops down to 3G, I should still get upgraded 3G speeds right? I have an Evo 4G LTE that I've hated for the past year, and despite living in the Chicago market which is supposed to have LTE everywhere, I'm on 3G almost all the time and it's slow as poo poo.

I've been doing speedtests everywhere I go over the past few weeks to categorize how awful Sprint is in the Chicago market, at least through the eyes of my Evo 4G LTE. See if you can spot the 2 times I was on an upgraded 3G tower, or the 1 time I was on an LTE tower.

I don't think I can last another year on my contract with this phone so I think the best option is to try another phone. I've been looking at the Galaxy Nexus, since I think I can sell my Evo LTE and cover the cost of the Nexus. But I don't mind spending a bit more if the SGS3 has really good LTE performance. Basically, what mid-level phone can I get right now that won't cost me an arm and leg out of contract and has better LTE performance than the Evo?

I'm done with HTC after the mess the EVo 4G LTE is. All of you that are looking at getting the HTC One, please for the love of god, get the Samsung Galaxy S4 and save yourself a ton of headaches with LTE reception.

edit - And for clarification, according to Sensorly I should be bathing in a sea of LTE - that's just not the case, as the speedtests show. I'm almost never on LTE, and when I am it seems to drop back down to 3G the minute I walk in a building. I can do the airplane mode flip to get back on to LTE sometimes, so I know it's the phone and its lovely ability to switch to LTE.

Yet the one gets rave reviews from almost everyone who has one. The evo lte wasn't awful sorry you had bad luck.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Yet the one gets rave reviews from almost everyone who has one. The evo lte wasn't awful sorry you had bad luck.

Sorry dude, I have to disagree here. My wife had the Evo LTE and it def did have issues with data, random bugs and especially got worse after the update. Even factoring in Sprint possibly having updated it since I switched her off of it, I wouldnt say that's a great phone. The equivalent One X also sucked.

The One is nice for me (on ATT), but if someone wants to avoid HTC for that reason the S4 is more than fine.

Edit: I misread what he said above. S3 is optimal for mid range at this point, the Nexus will def be better but the battery life will suck.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 2, 2013

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

But I don't mind spending a bit more if the SGS3 has really good LTE performance.

My SGS3 handles LTE really well, I can be inside buildings or driving along and have pretty decent/stable signal strength. This was inside a two story building in north Murfreesboro, TN which I can't imagine has better coverage than Chicago but stranger things have happened when it comes to Sprint, I suppose.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I was a little surprised earlier today when I noticed that instead of the 3G I've only ever seen on my Note 2, I see 4G...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a brand new S4 I will be looking to sell, $450 for anyone here.

Edit: I have a sprint iPhone 4S that I have for sale for $250 as well.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
And another voicemail with no missed calls! That's at least 3 in the last week and a half. I wonder if there are people not leaving messages that I just don't know about?