Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

eggyolk posted:

It's been two years since I owned a bike. Had a 2002 SV650 S that gave me 7 good years of riding experience. Sold it to move to NYC and now I'm back on the hunt for something to fill a lot of roles.

I'm basically planning on buying another SV for all the obvious reasons. Economical, easy to maintain, past experience with one, planning on going to the track with my coworkers, doing long trips outside of the city etc. I was wondering if there's any other good step up from the SV that could fill all these roles? Some part of me is interested in getting a Daytona 675 but they're hard to come by and I won't be able to afford one for a good 6-9 months. Never really considered the typical I4 600's but maybe I should? Interestingly, I am in a position where I have the space/tools/time to take on a fixer upper project.

2004 gsxr 750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
What do you guys think? Bit of a drive being in Connecticut but what do the bike geniuses here think?

1991 ninja 600 cc 13,229 miles on it and really clean.

Other than whatever is leaking of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clean-Ninja-Kawasaki-ZX600C-1991-Black-low-miles-/200937613962?redirect=mobile&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_735

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Are you specifically looking for a 20 year old 600? Performance will be meh, the brakes and suspension will suck, parts availability will be a pain and it may have funky tire sizes, I don't remember. Go just a few years newer and it'll be a much better bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

tranten posted:

That photo LOOKS like it's the r-type...

Oh, it is. I took that picture while I was waiting for the rain to stop. They had 2 R-Types and one regular, and I ended up on the regular. Now I have to choose between the grey and the green.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Green, with as much of the overpriced brass fancy parts as your wallet will tolerate

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rotaryfun posted:

What do you guys think? Bit of a drive being in Connecticut but what do the bike geniuses here think?

1991 ninja 600 cc 13,229 miles on it and really clean.

Other than whatever is leaking of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clean-Ninja-Kawasaki-ZX600C-1991-Black-low-miles-/200937613962?redirect=mobile&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_735

Where do you live (we'll find you something better)?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Here is a dealer listing a standard Bolt for $6,799.00, which is $1,200 below MSRP. Think of a fun roadtrip you can have :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2014...20#ht_500wt_745

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

eggyolk posted:

It's been two years since I owned a bike. Had a 2002 SV650 S that gave me 7 good years of riding experience. Sold it to move to NYC and now I'm back on the hunt for something to fill a lot of roles.

I'm basically planning on buying another SV for all the obvious reasons. Economical, easy to maintain, past experience with one, planning on going to the track with my coworkers, doing long trips outside of the city etc. I was wondering if there's any other good step up from the SV that could fill all these roles? Some part of me is interested in getting a Daytona 675 but they're hard to come by and I won't be able to afford one for a good 6-9 months. Never really considered the typical I4 600's but maybe I should? Interestingly, I am in a position where I have the space/tools/time to take on a fixer upper project.

Are you still in nyc? I might be selling my streetfightered 675 soon.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are you specifically looking for a 20 year old 600? Performance will be meh, the brakes and suspension will suck, parts availability will be a pain and it may have funky tire sizes, I don't remember. Go just a few years newer and it'll be a much better bike.

The bike is for my buddy. We live in southern Maryland (DC is less than an hour away). He sent me that link last night asking about it. I have an sv650 myself.

He's honestly just looking for a cheap 600 as it'd be his first bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

The bike is for my buddy. We live in southern Maryland (DC is less than an hour away). He sent me that link last night asking about it. I have an sv650 myself.

He's honestly just looking for a cheap 600 as it'd be his first bike.

I would not do the hike from DC to north of Hartford for a 20-year-old Ninja 600. You will find better, closer.

I'm not going to comment on wanting a 600 supersport as a first bike, but if you want to help him get one that's not going to kill him so badly, try searching for yzf 600, yzf600r or zzr 600, zx-6e. The post-2000 ZX-6E / ZZR600 is the Ninja 600 that replaced the one you linked, and it's a considerably more modern motorcycle. Zooming the list brings up a couple YZFs and Kawis in the Maryland / PA / VA area, and I'm sure they come and go constantly. For example:

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/mcy/3874980091.html

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I need some suggestions for my first motorcycle.

I am looking for something that I can ride primarily around the surface streets of Oakland, CA (where I live.) But once in a while, I have to go over some dirt or gravel trails. So the ideal bike should be able to have some reasonable off-road abilities while being comfortable for drives of about an hour or thereabouts on road.

I have no idea what make/models to look at. I know that I can only afford used and would like to keep it around $3000 at the most. If this is ludicrously low, my apologies.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

I need some suggestions for my first motorcycle.

KLR 650. Worry more about condition than age.

Something more like a DRZ400S / SM would be more excitement but less comfort, and a little more money.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Snowdens Secret posted:

KLR 650. Worry more about condition than age.

Something more like a DRZ400S / SM would be more excitement but less comfort, and a little more money.

That KLR looks perfect. Thank you.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would not do the hike from DC to north of Hartford for a 20-year-old Ninja 600. You will find better, closer.

I'm not going to comment on wanting a 600 supersport as a first bike, but if you want to help him get one that's not going to kill him so badly, try searching for yzf 600, yzf600r or zzr 600, zx-6e. The post-2000 ZX-6E / ZZR600 is the Ninja 600 that replaced the one you linked, and it's a considerably more modern motorcycle. Zooming the list brings up a couple YZFs and Kawis in the Maryland / PA / VA area, and I'm sure they come and go constantly. For example:

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/mcy/3874980091.html

Cool thanks, I haven't done any searching for him yet so I'll have to be more mindful of the bike he looking at. Thanks again and yeah I was explaining to him earlier today that the bike was totally not worth that trip for.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Tell me why I should not get rid of my 03 Triumph speed four for a 2012 speed triple r w/ ABS.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 1, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Because you love having a triumph that's not a real triumph? :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not sure I'd bother with the R. The regular Speed's suspension and brakes are already very, very good. The benefits on the road aren't anything like you see going ftom regular to R om the 675cc bikes.

Coincidentally I've got a '12 Speed with ABS I'm going to sell, but you're on the wrong side of the country.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm about to get active in finding potential garaging space for a motorcycle in my DC neighborhood so I can decrease the risk of a bike getting stolen/burned again. The SV650 has been prominent in my thoughts, but while pondering all the folks with scooters and mopeds chained to pillars and rails in my area, I was wondering if some kind of small dual-sport might suit me. I could probably just wheel it to the side of my building where the Vespas chain up to a heavy railing, and it should be dirt-cheap to have Comprehensive on it. I'm mostly riding in the city itself (occasionally 2-up), so that should be plenty for street use.

The Super Sherpa has a low enough seat (31.5") that my 29" inseam should be able to make it (unlike the 37" DRZ400), and apparently it makes 25-28hp, which though not as much as my Ninja 500 is still more than the 20hp my Nighthawk did. I wouldn't take a bike that small on the interstate, but should it do fine for rural roads, back highways, and all? I have zero intention of going off-road, so I'd be fine getting street-specific tires.

Is this a viable option, or would it be miserable to ride up to Baltimore on the backroads? I know it can do 2-up, but would that be just foolhardy on any road over 45mph?

For my last three bike purchases I've known I should just buy an SV650, but somehow I keep wanting to not buy one and find something "fun".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-610906364.htm

How similar are these to a B12? Cosmetic differences aside, is it just the twin vs single rear shocks? I'm asking on behalf of a friend who mainly wants a B12 for the engine and all-purpose nature, but these tend to be a thousand dollars (or more) cheaper around here. His plan is to get rid of the ugly fairing and switch to a single headlight naked arrangement.

How much worse are these than a B12 for dong-riding?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The GS1200SS is a revisited GSXR1100. For all intents and purposes, it's kind of a weird hybrid of the two:

Suzuki Cycles posted:

By the time when Suzuki for the first time presented its over 1000cc machines, back in the early eighties, the Japanese customers couldn't buy them. The regulations prohibited selling motorcycles with larger than 750cc engines on the domestic market in Japan. No wonder the 1100cc Katanas and other sports muscle bikes of the eighties were selling well over the decade after the model were discontinued in Europe and USA, when the regulations finally were dropped.

Nostalgic design sell quite well in Japan. The new GS1200SS was simply a modern version of the GSX-R1100 from the eighties. A sports-bike for those who dreamed about it when they couldn't get it. It was presented for the domestic market in 2001, available in black or red/black.

The GS12000SS is a full modern bike, although in some details the GS1200SS is still old-fashioned. For example, the speedo and the rev counter were wire-connected instead of electric, like in many other modern bikes. Still, the dry mass of the bike was only 210 kg (462 lbs), making the bike go really fast with its 100 hp engine.

Also I'm fairly certain they share identical parts on the majority of the components (GSXR engines are direct swaps into the frames for Bandits so I'd assume the same for the GS1200SS).

That rear suspension looks really weird though. Not sure how it would handle compared to a monoshock, but an interesting machine nonetheless! Also, the GS has clipons, not risers, like a stock B12.

It would be equally as hoonery either way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting!

Didn't spot the clipons, good call. I'll inevitably be test-riding either this one or a similar one so I'll see how it compares to my rex. I've seen a couple converted to naked before, they look incredibly tough and meaty.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm about to get active in finding potential garaging space for a motorcycle in my DC neighborhood so I can decrease the risk of a bike getting stolen/burned again. The SV650 has been prominent in my thoughts, but while pondering all the folks with scooters and mopeds chained to pillars and rails in my area, I was wondering if some kind of small dual-sport might suit me. I could probably just wheel it to the side of my building where the Vespas chain up to a heavy railing, and it should be dirt-cheap to have Comprehensive on it. I'm mostly riding in the city itself (occasionally 2-up), so that should be plenty for street use.

The Super Sherpa has a low enough seat (31.5") that my 29" inseam should be able to make it (unlike the 37" DRZ400), and apparently it makes 25-28hp, which though not as much as my Ninja 500 is still more than the 20hp my Nighthawk did. I wouldn't take a bike that small on the interstate, but should it do fine for rural roads, back highways, and all? I have zero intention of going off-road, so I'd be fine getting street-specific tires.

Is this a viable option, or would it be miserable to ride up to Baltimore on the backroads? I know it can do 2-up, but would that be just foolhardy on any road over 45mph?

For my last three bike purchases I've known I should just buy an SV650, but somehow I keep wanting to not buy one and find something "fun".

Help me out here, I really don't understand your "dilemma". Contrary to this forum's beliefs, there are other bikes out there besides lovely ninja 250s, dull as dishwater SV650s, and for some reason, loving Buells. Outside of "I'm looking for a cheap enough track bike that I can dump and not give two shits about", I can't see any real reason why I'd look at an SV650. A "nothing" air cooled motor, poo poo suspension and 20+ year old design. Whoopee!

Also, having/had lived out in NoVa/DC for 15 years, can you point out where these "back roads" are from DC to Baltimore? Even eschewing the normal routes, I can't think of too many roads I'd be down with running a 15+ year old 14 hp 280 lb Kawasaki glorified dirtbike on with an alleged top speed of 80 mph in DC area traffic. Not sure where you're getting the "28-30" HP figure from, it's about half that.

You seem kind of hung up on the seat height thing. I'm basically the same specs as you, 5'6, 29 inch inseam, etc, and really, the only things I've never felt "comfortable" on are bigger 450+cc dirtbikes. Yea, you're not going to flat foot a 33 inch seat height bike, but so?

Set a budget, find a fun bike out in NoVa, move out of the ghetto. Voila.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Haha, "alleged" is right. I can't see that reaching highway speed unless it were geared so high that it would take two minutes to reach that speed. Also yeah short people sack up. My DRZ felt waaaay too tall at first. I got over it. You will too.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I have a 29-30 inch inseam and I ride one of the tallest production bikes you can buy. You can be comfortable on a bike without flat footing it. A DRZ-SM or similar supermoto would seem to fit your needs. The Sherpa sounds like a fun little bike for inner city commuting or bimbling about the neighbourhood, but it wouldn't be my preference for any kind of distance.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

I've never owned or ridden a motorcycle before, but I've been really interested in getting into one for a while now to have something to drive to work and around town with and save gas over my Nissan Pathfinder, also I think riding would be fun. A co-worker has a Kawasaki KE100 that he got in a trade with some other stuff and he's looking to get rid of it for $100. He said it starts and runs but the clutch isn't engaging properly and he doesn't know if a cable needs replacement or adjustment, or if it needs actual clutch work. It has lights and blinkers, and a licence plate mount but no plate or title, so I'd definitely have to address that. Looking around a few places online gives the impression that these bikes are dirt simple and easy to work on if they need repairs. I've not worked on a motor vehicle before, but I'm a gunsmith and definitely not mechanically inept.

Would this be a good idea to risk fixing and cleaning up and riding around? I'm thinking at the very least I can sell it for the same price if I can't do anything with it or find out I don't like riding. I can provide pics quickly if there's anything I need to look at more closely.

*edit* if I do go through with this, an MSF course is definitely on the list of first things to do.

*edit again* pics! http://imgur.com/a/I8Okz

Scope fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 3, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ThatCguy posted:

Help me out here, I really don't understand your "dilemma". Contrary to this forum's beliefs, there are other bikes out there besides lovely ninja 250s, dull as dishwater SV650s, and for some reason, loving Buells. Outside of "I'm looking for a cheap enough track bike that I can dump and not give two shits about", I can't see any real reason why I'd look at an SV650. A "nothing" air cooled motor, poo poo suspension and 20+ year old design. Whoopee!

Also, having/had lived out in NoVa/DC for 15 years, can you point out where these "back roads" are from DC to Baltimore? Even eschewing the normal routes, I can't think of too many roads I'd be down with running a 15+ year old 14 hp 280 lb Kawasaki glorified dirtbike on with an alleged top speed of 80 mph in DC area traffic. Not sure where you're getting the "28-30" HP figure from, it's about half that.

You seem kind of hung up on the seat height thing. I'm basically the same specs as you, 5'6, 29 inch inseam, etc, and really, the only things I've never felt "comfortable" on are bigger 450+cc dirtbikes. Yea, you're not going to flat foot a 33 inch seat height bike, but so?

Set a budget, find a fun bike out in NoVa, move out of the ghetto. Voila.

When I lived in NoVa I was riding into Adams Morgan pretty much every weekend I had off, so I can see the appeal in living there despite the aggravations. Also SV650s are water-cooled.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Scope posted:

I've never owned or ridden a motorcycle before, but I've been really interested in getting into one for a while now to have something to drive to work and around town with and save gas over my Nissan Pathfinder, also I think riding would be fun. A co-worker has a Kawasaki KE100 that he got in a trade with some other stuff and he's looking to get rid of it for $100. He said it starts and runs but the clutch isn't engaging properly and he doesn't know if a cable needs replacement or adjustment, or if it needs actual clutch work. It has lights and blinkers, and a licence plate mount but no plate or title, so I'd definitely have to address that. Looking around a few places online gives the impression that these bikes are dirt simple and easy to work on if they need repairs. I've not worked on a motor vehicle before, but I'm a gunsmith and definitely not mechanically inept.

Would this be a good idea to risk fixing and cleaning up and riding around? I'm thinking at the very least I can sell it for the same price if I can't do anything with it or find out I don't like riding. I can provide pics quickly if there's anything I need to look at more closely.

*edit* if I do go through with this, an MSF course is definitely on the list of first things to do.

*edit again* pics! http://imgur.com/a/I8Okz

Buy it period. You can't find $100 motorcycles that aren't simply rusted parts in a box, let alone one that actually works and might only need minor fixing. I'd buy the poo poo out of that for $100 even with having to deal with the hassle of getting a title for it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Slavvy posted:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-610906364.htm

How similar are these to a B12? Cosmetic differences aside, is it just the twin vs single rear shocks? I'm asking on behalf of a friend who mainly wants a B12 for the engine and all-purpose nature, but these tend to be a thousand dollars (or more) cheaper around here. His plan is to get rid of the ugly fairing and switch to a single headlight naked arrangement.

How much worse are these than a B12 for dong-riding?

TL;DR: The Bandits are detuned GSX-R motors. The GS1200SS is "the ultimate extention" of the GSX motor. Bandits are common, GS1200's are rare.

Well, it's got an engine that's slightly older than the B12. IIRC the GS1200SS still is a GSX engine. (that is GSX, not GSX-R) So it's got more in common with a GS1150, or GS1100, than a GSF1200 or GSX-R1100. Not that they're distantly unrelated, but the "actual parts" are from the GSX line, not the GSX-R.

The GS1200SS is a rare bike. I think converting one would be a mistake.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Abe Froman posted:

Buy it period. You can't find $100 motorcycles that aren't simply rusted parts in a box, let alone one that actually works and might only need minor fixing. I'd buy the poo poo out of that for $100 even with having to deal with the hassle of getting a title for it.

Agreed. Worst case, clutch needs to be replaced - and that's not a huge deal. My wife's XL175 had problems with the clutch not engaging properly and all it needed was a little cleaning and lubing of the actuator mechanism.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nerobro posted:

TL;DR: The Bandits are detuned GSX-R motors. The GS1200SS is "the ultimate extention" of the GSX motor. Bandits are common, GS1200's are rare.

Well, it's got an engine that's slightly older than the B12. IIRC the GS1200SS still is a GSX engine. (that is GSX, not GSX-R) So it's got more in common with a GS1150, or GS1100, than a GSF1200 or GSX-R1100. Not that they're distantly unrelated, but the "actual parts" are from the GSX line, not the GSX-R.

They're a dime a dozen here; there's usually at least three or four floating around trademe on any given day and they're basically worthless value-wise because the only bikes worth money here are 250's, any kind of full-faired sportsbike, and Harleys. I'll tell him to keep all the old parts and avoid doing anything that can't be reversed.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Nerobro posted:

How does the 1400 fit into this, and is it better than a Bandit 1200?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

If I'll be selling my current bike and buying a new one in 6-8 months, where should I be browsing now/then to actually find the bike I'm looking for and know what it's worth? Obvious contestants are CL, eBay Motors, and Cycle Trader; where else should I be looking?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

How does the 1400 fit into this, and is it better than a Bandit 1200?

The 1400 is liquid cooled AFAIK and is meant to be deliberately UJM-style retro, as a direct competitor to ZRX1200 and CB1300. Totally different frame etc from what I've seen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Former Sherpa owner chipping in - I miss it, but it was kind of a slug. I mean at the time it was HOLY COW SO FAST but I'm deprived, I distinctly remember my first ride on the KLR I replaced it with being like night and day in terms of acceleration and top speed.

You're a smaller guy, right? (Or was that old photo just at a bad angle?) You might be ok for backish road stuff depending on what's there. I'm about 200 lb and for me the Sherp capped out at about 120 km/h (75 mph) - and dropped to 80 km/h (50 mph) on hills. The entire reason I sold it to get the KLR was because it just didn't have the legs for highway travel.

Other upsides: slick looking for a dirtbike, can be had with gold wheels
Downsides: Not super common, I had a weird problem stalling out under hard braking, your bike might get torched again for having gold wheels

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm brand new and have never ridden a motorcycle before. My boss has offered to sell me a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R in good condition with 22K miles for $3K.

What are your thoughts?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The R is pretty disappointing stats-wise compared to the original FZ6 but that might be a good thing if it's your first bike. Have you taken the MSF yet? Would be lovely to spend $3k only to learn you don't like riding.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There are better bikes to learn on but overall it wouldn't be a bad one. Yamaha lamed up the 600 in that one so it makes about the same power as a sv650.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

There are better bikes to learn on but overall it wouldn't be a bad one. Yamaha lamed up the 600 in that one so it makes about the same power as a sv650.

To me this seems like it'd be perfect to learn on, aside from the fact that he would probably regret dropping it because it isn't an ancient turd of a thing. Good handling and stopping and no power; also I'm of the opinion that lazy 4's are better for learning because they aren't as choppy at low rpm compared to twins, and the engine experience is very similar to a car.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I lean to the conservative side when I have no information about the person asking, and I err towards lighter, lower bikes to start off with. Like I said it will be a fine starter bike, but I know that I appreciated tiny bikes (<400 lb) when learning slow speed maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
So I need to take a MSF course before I can ride a bike. It looks like the ones in Cali are about $250 for the course. Since I'm not in the military are there any other less-expensive options?

Edit: I'm speaking about taking the class from this organization: http://ca-msp.org/