Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Ending soon: A wall-mounted bottle opener, billed as a "forever object."

I like how a big part of it is memories and bottle opening "experience." Because when I party, the thing I want to remember most is how I got my beer open with a small piece of metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If you're attaching a bottle opener to a tree, you're doing it wrong.

edit: gently caress, $35?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rosalind posted:

I like how a big part of it is memories and bottle opening "experience." Because when I party, the thing I want to remember most is how I got my beer open with a small piece of metal.

The person who made this Kickstarter has only experienced parties through watching beer commercials.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

bowmore posted:

Why is this in the Awful Kickstarter thread?

For all of the reasons discussed above your post.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Otisburg posted:

Rocky was the story of a working-class Philly underdog making it big.

RoboCop is the story of hyper-facism steamrolling over humanity, cyborg ultraviolence, and exploiting urban decay for profit.

I agree, RoboCop would totally win in a fight.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
A wall-mounted bottle opener is something I associate with sleazy motels and my alcoholic uncle's basement workshop.

The magnet is a good idea, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: Robocop statue

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

Of course the moment it gets up it'll probably just become covered in awful spray paint graffiti and chewed gum. :(

It's okay, some kids spraypainted him in one of the films so it'll still be canon.

Edit: KIK ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vHUz69_QE

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Jun 29, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe I'm jumping the gun too soon when it comes to mocking this Kickstarter, because it seems like the filmmakers are well intentioned and I never seen Earthlings.

But it comes off as some new age preach about LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE HUMANITY IMAGINE THERE'S NO COUNTRIES, and they fully admit it's like a glorified Power Point presentation with cinematography. There's of celebrities I like in this, but also plenty I don't care for to make up for it. Between the indulgence of celebrities, the cultural touristy-vibe I get from some of the footage, unapologetically manipulative music, there's many little things that rub me the wrong way about this. Watching the first few minutes of the video, I couldn't help but laugh at the words being read seriously.

This looks like the kind of thing the South Park guys would salivate over mocking in a forgettable episode.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I met him while he was speaking at my school about a movie he made about animal abuse. Everything he owns is animal free and he is exactly as earnest as he appears.
He is too nice for this world and far too easy to make fun of.

Dont search for Earthlings unless you want to see animals being skinned alive and beaten to death for an hour

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Jun 29, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Fauxtool posted:

I met him while he was speaking at my school about a movie he made about animal abuse. Everything he owns is animal free and he is exactly as earnest as he appears.
He is too nice for this world and far too easy to make fun of.

Dont search for Earthlings unless you want to see animals being skinned alive and beaten to death for an hour

Christ. :( I feel a little bit bad now. It's still a weird pitch for those unfamiliar with his work.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

This one is truly mind boggling as this is a product that already exists and is readily available and inexpensive.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

vxskud posted:

This one is truly mind boggling as this is a product that already exists and is readily available and inexpensive.

People really are suckers when wood and blurry backgrounds are involved apparently.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Philly had a statue of Rocky Balboa.

Had? Nope sorry, it's still there. I'm from Philly, and I still remember when they kept moving it. It went from the Art Museum to the (now demolished) Spectrum then back to the Art Museum. Partially because of an argument of what was "art".

e: I think it was moved back when the new Rocky movie was filmed. I'll never forget when they filmed that stupid movie because the bar scene was filmed on my (then) girlfriend's block, and they made it a pain just to get to her apartment. The also had the cops "relocate" my motorcycle without telling me. They moved it around the corner.

booshi has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jun 29, 2013

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

vxskud posted:

My grandfather bought one like that back in the sixties and it was a solution for a problem that was solved even back them. I have several that are alway with me. The one at my keyring that cost me literally 30 cents. Smokers open beers with lighters. I've never been to a party where there weren't enough openers to go around and having them mounted in just one place would be pretty detrimental when you can have them for way cheaper to pass around. I just don't get the appeal, it's not even pretty or anything.

Morglon has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jun 29, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Looking through the Recently Launched or Ending Soon categories can yield some gems.

Just launched: The Biggest Flag Ever, where the only thing that can possibly go wrong with the project is the weather.

Also, what is with all of the deck of playing card projects I see lately? They're becoming the new iPod accessory. Though this particular project didn't go through, maybe it was the fabric on the headband...

More likely the flag gets shredded to hell while the Helicopter's trying to take off.

vxskud posted:

so have metal drinkingBeer Pong cups and a lot of other things on kickstarter. I kind of wonder how much money people could fleece by running kickstarters for existing items at an inflated price.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

If I remember right, there was at least one Kickstarter in this thread for iPhone accessories that were already available for like a couple dollars on eBay or Amazon.

EllDoubleYew
Jun 28, 2013

Jet Jaguar posted:

Also, what is with all of the deck of playing card projects I see lately? They're becoming the new iPod accessory. Though this particular project didn't go through, maybe it was the fabric on the headband...

My favorite part about his video is when he mentions the "Three point millimeter adapter" and the head straps of course for "head adjusting". Its no wonder kick starters like this never get funded, not only is it a pretty bad idea, but his pitch in the video just further proves that he has no idea what the gently caress he is doing.

Oh and how could I forget "HGIHWAY TRAVEL" with this wonderful device

It is bad enough for someone to put this on in the first place but god forbid anyone try it on the interstate.

EllDoubleYew has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Jun 29, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

vxskud posted:

Looks matter. Also here's another, more practical I guess. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dropcatch/dropcatch-magnetic-bottle-opener

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Jun 29, 2013

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Morglon posted:

My grandfather bought one like that back in the sixties and it was a solution for a problem that was solved even back them. I have several that are alway with me. The one at my keyring that cost me literally 30 cents. Smokers open beers with lighters. I've never been to a party where there weren't enough openers to go around and having them mounted in just one place would be pretty detrimental when you can have them for way cheaper to pass around. I just don't get the appeal, it's not even pretty or anything.

That's funny, I just thought of making an indie artisan cigarette lighter with a sturdy rim just to open bottles.

edit: or box of snus!

Ein has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Jun 29, 2013

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Ein posted:

That's funny, I just thought of making an indie artisan cigarette lighter with a sturdy rim just to open bottles.

That's too mainstream man, if you want to be indie go with flint and tinder. It's retro!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

I have a bottle openner on my wall and honestly think that thing is pretty cool with the magnet and all but 30 dollars seems ridiculous. Just absurd.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
It seems like it would be easy enough to make if you had access to the proper tools and a sufficiently strong magnet. A fun Saturday afternoon project vs. paying way too much on Kickstarter.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Morglon posted:

That's too mainstream man, if you want to be indie go with flint and tinder. It's retro!

In dark wood box with a cog or two and maybe some copper pipes, you'll hit 50 grand in less than a week.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Jet Jaguar posted:

There's always been a lot of playing cards on Kickstarter. There's a decent sized collector market out there which keeps it going, and they make for some neat art pieces without being too expensive. I dunno, I like them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Except 99% of them aren't art projects, they're just print on demand playing cards with stupid pictures slapped on the back.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Here's one that actually looks like it could be a fun game but will probably never see the light of day due to the rather lofty goal of $23,000

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/underwaterjosh/give-it-to-the-king-0

Edit:

This is brilliant

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1614359441/paul-the-poo?ref=ending_soon

Cool Web Paige has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jun 30, 2013

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Ein posted:

If you somehow manage to make me able to pay this Kickstarter in Swedish Kronor, I'm in.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Except 99% of them aren't art projects, they're just print on demand playing cards with stupid pictures slapped on the back.

Also because every print on demand site has a playing card option so KS isn't needed. Even Bicycle allows it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

This is Paul's mum Mrs Poo, she is also a very important crap in Crapsvile because is incharge of the big fan in the town, her main role is to make sure that no body hits the fan.

gently caress, I laughed.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I dunno, most of them I've seen succeed have been pretty art or design-oriented. I've got kind of a collection built up now from these things, there's some cool stuff out there. If you want it on decent-quality stock Bicycle charges quite a lot for the minimum run-- enough to make a Kickstarter a reasonable proposition.

Print-on-demand cards are pretty crap quality-- both in terms of how the physical cards handle and the actual print quality of the cards. Going through the USPCC (bicycle) will run like $5000 give or take around $2500 depending on the size of the print run, the inks used on the designs, etc. There is really an astonishing difference in quality if you go most anywhere else. There are a couple foreign printers that do some nice work but right now the USPCC is really the only good North American printer at all.

Like there's definitely plenty of playing card kickstarters that are well-placed in a thread like this but a crap one is really mostly defined by what is actually going on the card.

It may be a thing that seems silly if it's not a subject you're interested in, but for collectors and enthusiasts there's definitely a lot of factors that make Kickstarting and not POD an appropriate venue for playing cards.

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
U.S. Made Manga: Soul Divinity

For $15.00 you can get a signed sketch of one the characters!

For $200.00 you get the actual comic... signed! With a letter of appreciation! And a guest appearance as a character in the MANGA! There is no in-between, like a PDF of the comic or even JUST the comic. It's all or nothing with these guys.

Chris Cooper posted:

... we have a lot of the character art done already but still have much more to go. We are steadily moving forward with creating more background scenes and more art for the different characters. Then we will move on to applying the art to the story.

They haven't actually drawn any of the comic yet, even though they've worked on the story and characters for "every other summer over the past three years", as stated in the sad but hilarious project video.

Also stated in their project video, they want to become the "best manga creators there is." They wanted a more realistic side to their art, and have thus have come up with their own unique style.

Chris Cooper posted:

Risks and challenges

The challenges we face with completing this project is doing this while currently being enrolled as college students, money, and getting people interested in the story. We have to find a publisher, but we have friends who have written books and have gotten them published, so finding a publisher may not be difficult. We have artistic backgrounds and are adept at using image editing programs such as photoshop, and we are knowledgeable about computers. Being as dedicated to this project as we are, we can't see anything holding us back from completing the project.

Except for perhaps coming up with the seemingly meager $2000 it would take to fund this project. Still, if each of Cooper's 920 Facebook friends chipped in $2, they might almost make their goal.

If you are wondering what the story is about, it's the generic manga schlock you can find in hundreds of horrible webcomics. There is nothing special or redeemable about this one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Goddamn, I was hoping this was actor Chris Cooper making a manga comic. I just like the mental image of a 60-something Academy Award nominated character actor drawing out Not-Sasuke in hopes to break into the manga market.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Dear God it looks like he drew it on paper, then scanned it, then coloured over the scan without digitally inking first. I mean, it's a lovely, lovely style but he could've at least done that if he was gonna take the time to fire up the loving GIMP.

quote:

30,000 years ago before the existence of Earth there was the realm of Kairos. Kairos was a peaceful but superior realm and there lived many clans with natural abilities that demanded neutral respect from each other. Soon Tension started to raise between two royal clans the Matsushima clan and the Yamamoto clan. This tension led to the start of a great and fateful war among the clans.
Umm... bad Sengoku Jidai epic...?

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jun 30, 2013

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Song For The Deaf posted:

It seems like it would be easy enough to make if you had access to the proper tools and a sufficiently strong magnet. A fun Saturday afternoon project vs. paying way too much on Kickstarter.

I'm a grad student, and working in the lab I work in comes with access to two different workshops: one is full of 3D printers and electronics components galore, the other has at least 1 CNC router and pretty much any tool you'd ever need.

So yeah, if you have the access, you can bang out one of these out really quickly. Then just cut a slot for the magnet and put in a rare earth magnet maybe? Then you're done. Plus, they put some of the dimensions on the KS page, so you could extrapolate the rest from that.

But, like everyone else said, mounted openers are pretty stupid. I don't even carry a bottle opener with me anymore. I just use my lighter or my carabiner.

EllDoubleYew
Jun 28, 2013

Referring to the US Made Manga: Soul Divinity

They look like they could be a part of a lovely SNL parody of the old Nickelodeon show "Kenan & Kel", something along the lines of "Caleb and Chris Make a $200 Comic Book!"

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

EllDoubleYew posted:

Referring to the US Made Manga: Soul Divinity

They look like they could be a part of a lovely SNL parody of the old Nickelodeon show "Kenan & Kel", something along the lines of "Caleb and Chris Make a $200 Comic Book!"

Sadly, I'd probably donate to a kickstarter for more Keenan & Kel, provided Ice-T does a remix of his original intro

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Sadly, I'd probably donate to a kickstarter for more Keenan & Kel, provided Ice-T does a remix of his original intro

Coolio did the theme song for Keenan & Kel, you philistine.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

booshi posted:

I'm a grad student, and working in the lab I work in comes with access to two different workshops: one is full of 3D printers and electronics components galore, the other has at least 1 CNC router and pretty much any tool you'd ever need.

So yeah, if you have the access, you can bang out one of these out really quickly. Then just cut a slot for the magnet and put in a rare earth magnet maybe? Then you're done. Plus, they put some of the dimensions on the KS page, so you could extrapolate the rest from that.

But, like everyone else said, mounted openers are pretty stupid. I don't even carry a bottle opener with me anymore. I just use my lighter or my carabiner.

Why would you waste money on rare earth magnets for this? Regular ones would be strong enough to hold a bottle cap.

Then again if I had access to a CNC machine and was making these I'd at least try to make them look less tacky. We have one ofthe old Coca Cola wall mounted bottle openers on the wall in our office by the fridge and it looks fine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ghost Hat posted:

U.S. Made Manga: Soul Divinity

For $15.00 you can get a signed sketch of one the characters!

For $200.00 you get the actual comic... signed! With a letter of appreciation! And a guest appearance as a character in the MANGA! There is no in-between, like a PDF of the comic or even JUST the comic. It's all or nothing with these guys.

They haven't actually drawn any of the comic yet, even though they've worked on the story and characters for "every other summer over the past three years", as stated in the sad but hilarious project video.

Also stated in their project video, they want to become the "best manga creators there is." They wanted a more realistic side to their art, and have thus have come up with their own unique style.

Except for perhaps coming up with the seemingly meager $2000 it would take to fund this project. Still, if each of Cooper's 920 Facebook friends chipped in $2, they might almost make their goal.

If you are wondering what the story is about, it's the generic manga schlock you can find in hundreds of horrible webcomics. There is nothing special or redeemable about this one.

Now that I have a chrome extension that puts large numbers in easy to visualize terms my enjoyment of bad Kickstarters has really grown. For example, for this guy's goal you can buy one Starbucks latte every day for a year, apparently.

For his highest pledge tier you can buy a 'low end bicycle'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Now that I have a chrome extension that puts large numbers in easy to visualize terms my enjoyment of bad Kickstarters has really grown. For example, for this guy's goal you can buy one Starbucks latte every day for a year, apparently.

For his highest pledge tier you can buy a 'low end bicycle'.

What's this extension called?