Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Phlegmish posted:

Annual meat consumption per capita:

The usual suspects are in red.

Yum, Mongolia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KernelSlanders posted:

Yum, Mongolia.

They weren't known as horsemen for nothing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThePutty posted:

I found this on google image search, looking for more of those Absolut ads.

Dear god I hope this is satire

Well this is dumb.

Clearly if you want to have a Greater United States you add everything from the Pole to the Panama Canal.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kurtofan posted:

From the Image Thread (jeez people stop posting maps in that thread)

The worst map. Why does Austria get Hungary, but South Tyrol is still Italian??

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mister Adequate posted:

Clearly if you want to have a Greater United States you add everything from the Pole to the Panama Canal Cape Horn.

From Pole to shining Pole :patriot:

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

How can Uruguay be so pale, it's got the largest beef consumption per capita in the world

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cold Fusion posted:

How can Uruguay be so pale, it's got the largest beef consumption per capita in the world
Yeah, beef consumption alone looks to be higher than the total on the map, and that's before you add everything else. It should be one of the meatiest countries really, unless it has been climbing the ladder really quickly since 2009.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Kurtofan posted:

From the Image Thread (jeez people stop posting maps in that thread)

The best part of this map is the "eh, who gives a poo poo" line of unedited countries from Greece to Estonia.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
As long as we're posting lovely bigoted parodies:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Why Venezuela?

'Cause bomb their rear end, steal their gas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Why Venezuela?

It was probably made by Venezuelan ex-pats. There are a ton at my university, and they all loathe Chávez and Maduro. The new Cuban exiles, just less of them as far as I can tell.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kainser posted:

From Pole to shining Pole :patriot:

This is a really annoying cliche in alternate history.

Decades of Darkness

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

QuoProQuid posted:

This is a really annoying cliche in alternate history.

Decades of Darkness

That was actually exactly what I was thinking of, the one single good piece of alternate history.

:france:

e; actually I guess this one is pretty good as well:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kainser posted:

That was actually exactly what I was thinking of, the one single good piece of alternate history.

e; actually I guess this one is pretty good as well:

Reminds me of what happens when a realm explodes in CKII.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jesus Christ.

Kingdom of Australia? Nipponese Empire? Grosseuropaische Wirtschaftsverein? What the christ. I'm surprised there's no Great Old Bulgaria in there.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Kainser posted:

Why did Brittany lose Nantes to Poitou?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is that supposed to be Europe ruled by an inexplicably undefeated Napoleon?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Reverse image looking and some digging leads to a tome of rambling called Look to the West.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Gorgo Primus posted:

It's especially strange because that didn't happen in reality until the Pétain government.

More Later
Mar 31, 2010

Gorgo Primus posted:

Ask the Bretons and Nantes is Breton, ask everyone else and Nantes is everyone else's. Can't wait for Soviet Commubot to shine some knowledge on this!

^^^ Aaaaannnd beaten!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

PittTheElder posted:

If I recall correctly so was it 'what if a British heir was exiled to America in the mid 1700's' and then things happened.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Since they are arbitrary borders imposed by an external conqueror.

And man, that map really overstates the extent of a lot of regional cultures/languages. Although it's nice to see a 'cultural' map that doesn't just label the top third of the Nordic countries+Kola as 'Sami'.

BBJoey posted:

Jesus Christ.

Kingdom of Australia? Nipponese Empire? Grosseuropaische Wirtschaftsverein? What the christ. I'm surprised there's no Great Old Bulgaria in there.
It's actually pretty decent as far as alternate history (which basically just is historical fan fiction) goes, it was made in response to a challenge to see how dystopic you could make USA so they are still practicing slavery, have taken 'manifest destiny' to it's logical conclusion and all that jazz and it's all justified fairly well. Just a shame that it's an enormous 7 MB tome.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 30, 2013

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah I can't see a German plan to partition France being too concerned with being fair to the population of the puppet states it aimed to create. If anything it's realistic that it fucks over everyone except the power that drew the new borders.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

More Later posted:

Ask the Bretons and Nantes is Breton, ask everyone else and Nantes is everyone else's. Can't wait for Soviet Commubot to shine some knowledge on this!

^^^ Aaaaannnd beaten!

I think he just forum searches for the word 'Brittany'. I've learned a lot about that region just by being in the general vicinity of his posts. Every secession movement could use people with that level of commitment.

Kainser posted:

And man, that map really overstates the extent of a lot of regional cultures/languages. Although it's nice to see a 'cultural' map that doesn't just label the top third of the Nordic countries+Kola as 'Sami'.

Right, it seems more like a historical map that is not necessarily relevant today. Off the top of my head:

- A lot of Navarrans, especially in the southern part of the region, don't identify with Basque culture
- Northern Ireland has a Protestant majority
- Most Valencians resent being lumped in with the 'Països Catalans'
- Most people in French Flanders and Brussels speak French
- Karelia is overwhelmingly Russian

It's also strange that they didn't apply the same principle to the traditionally German areas in Eastern Europe. Kaliningrad is still Kaliningrad, for example. Probably because in that case you're dealing with forced resettlement rather than gradual assimilation.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 30, 2013

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I think he just forum searches for the word 'Brittany'. I've learned a lot about that region just by being in the general vicinity of his posts. Every secession movement could use people with that level of commitment.

Nah, I just have absolutely nothing better to do on Sundays than read D&D.

Also, I should amend my earlier post to say that the separation of Loire Atlantique (Nantes) was planned during the Vichy regime but it didn't actually happen until 1956.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Kainser posted:

I think you mean "Malé Rising". :colbert: The only alternate history to ever give a poo poo about Africa.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I'm actually surprised Argentina isn't a darker red. I never ate so much meat before going there for a week, and I've been served the hugest loving Rib ever in a restaurant.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I'm actually surprised Argentina isn't a darker red. I never ate so much meat before going there for a week, and I've been served the hugest loving Rib ever in a restaurant.

Argentina has a decent number of people who are too poor to eat that much meat.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Terex posted:

That seems so backwards, especially since there are still dry counties to this day, many of which seem to be in the same areas (like North Carolina).

Red are dry counties, yellow are mixed and blue are wet.

This is from a while back. I know of several counties/cities that are dry on that map that have voted to be wet or moist in the past few years, including the Kentucky county that I live in. So it's marginally less depressing.

King Dopplepopolos fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 30, 2013

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Sweden somehow ends up a single, solitary major city (landlocked, at that), a bunch of iron ore, wilderness and Finland? There's no way that could ever work, or for anyone to want it, friend or foe. It'd be untenable in the extreme.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It makes about as much sense as "The Three Sicilies" and Mega-Belgium (gods drat you Alt-History writers) or a breakaway Janissary state, who somehow control Constantinople but not any of Anatolia.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kainser posted:

The problem with most alternate history is that the writers are more focused on making the world as different as possible rather than writing a realistic world or making useful commentary on modern events. The easiest way to get attention is by changing borders so alternate history is often associated with maps. The alternatehistory.com community is particularly bad in this regard. The easiest way to get yourself noticed is be moderately talented in Photoshop. You could be copying literal encyclopedia entries but as long as you have regular illustrations, people will follow you.

I do have a few favorite pieces of internet alternate history, though:

Fear, Loathing and Gumbo on the Campaign Trail '72: Louisiana Governor John Julian McKeithen decides to stand for the Democratic nomination for the 1972 Election. McGovern becomes furious about being overlooked and decides to run as an independent under a 'Peace' platform. The result is an electoral college split and the House of Representatives is forced to choose the President. Sprio Agnew does beautiful, wonderful things.

A World of Laughter, A World of Tears

Eisenhower drops from the 1952 Republican Primary after a minor heart attack. The incident does not threaten his life but forces Eisenhower to come to terms with his health. He drops from the race and the GOP is thrown into turmoil. Hoping to throw the Democrats off-guard, the Republicans nominate Walt Disney who proceeds to win by a large margin. His term goes as well as you might expect.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 30, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Sweden somehow ends up a single, solitary major city (landlocked, at that), a bunch of iron ore, wilderness and Finland? There's no way that could ever work, or for anyone to want it, friend or foe. It'd be untenable in the extreme.

PittTheElder posted:

It makes about as much sense as "The Three Sicilies" and Mega-Belgium (gods drat you Alt-History writers) or a breakaway Janissary state, who somehow control Constantinople but not any of Anatolia.

You all need to read it. It's a pretty good. I'm not saying that it isn't outlandish but it's immensely entertaining. Though I grant that some parts are meticulously researched while others...like most of the above...aren't, but the timeline is so goddamn long that the details seem completely passable while you are reading them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

For some reason it's "Sweden" with scare quotes, no idea why.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

QuoProQuid posted:

The problem with most alternate history is that the writers are more focused on making the world as different as possible rather than writing a realistic world or making useful commentary on modern events. The easiest way to get attention is by changing borders so alternate history is often associated with maps. The alternatehistory.com community is particularly bad in this regard. The easiest way to get yourself noticed is be moderately talented in Photoshop. You could be copying literal encyclopedia entries but as long as you have regular illustrations, people will follow you.

I do have a few favorite pieces of internet alternate history, though:

Fear, Loathing and Gumbo on the Campaign Trail '72: Louisiana Governor John Julian McKeithen decides to stand for the Democratic nomination for the 1972 Election. McGovern becomes furious about being overlooked and decides to run as an independent under a 'Peace' platform. The result is an electoral college split and the House of Representatives is forced to choose the President. Sprio Agnew does beautiful, wonderful things.

A World of Laughter, A World of Tears

Eisenhower drops from the 1952 Republican Primary after a minor heart attack. The incident does not threaten his life but forces Eisenhower to come to terms with his health. He drops from the race and the GOP is thrown into turmoil. Hoping to throw the Democrats off-guard, the Republicans nominate Walt Disney who proceeds to win by a large margin. His term goes as well as you might expect.

The former is pretty fun to read, especially for the first-act twist. :allears:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TinTower posted:

The former is pretty fun to read, especially for the first-act twist. :allears:

It was depressing to read A World Of Laughter as it was being written, because the world it described just getting worse and worse and oh god.

Although the best alt-hist timeline is still Pirate Madagascar.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Kurtofan posted:

For some reason it's "Sweden" with scare quotes, no idea why.

Presumably because pretty much all of inhabited (even more-so back then) Sweden lies south of the “Swedish” border.

There's basically nothing north of Uppsala except for inhospitable taiga, snow and rocks. Well, that and a bunch of ore. It's essentially cut off from the eastern parts (Finland) entirely, surrounded, with no way of projecting force or of defending the “Swedish” borders. Unless they've got, like, space lasers or something(?), it's pretty much a lost cause, no matter the scenario.

Finland and the northernmost parts of modern Sweden? Eh, maybe. There's no way a border would or could look like that, though, for any extended amount of time. Civil war, insurrection, rebellion, whatever. It's dumb.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 1, 2013

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Did someone say alternate history?

A couple I've liked from alternatehistory.com (no stories or timelines, just the maps):

A full-on worst case scenario dystopian Nazi victory. Pretty unrealistic even by the standards of Nazi victory maps, but I don't think it's intended to be otherwise. The renamed cities are a nice touch.

Successful Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Not a standard topic of AH, and I like that there's a bit of thought into how it might be divided, rather than just annexed fully as an SSR. I don't know enough about Soviet or Afghan history to know how realistic it may be.

And since the images thread is talking about Harry Turtledove, some maps from his Southern Victory series:

The map after the Civil War and beginning of "How Few Remain". The Confederacy gains Kentucky peacefully after their victory, and buys Cuba from Spain, then later Chihuahua and Sonora from Mexico.

After the Great War. The US has a resounding victory, takes a bunch of land back from several Confederate states, gets Kentucky and Sequoya back, and creates a new state of Houston from captured Texas.

During the World War II equivalent. The Confederacy annexes Kentucky and Houston, and a few other bits of land, sending the two countries into war again.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Presumably because pretty much all of inhabited (even more-so back then) Sweden lies south of the “Swedish” border.

There's basically nothing north of Uppsala except for inhospitable taiga, snow and rocks. Well, that and a bunch of ore. It's essentially cut off from the eastern parts (Finland) entirely, surrounded, with no way of projecting force or of defending the “Swedish” borders. Unless they've got, like, space lasers or something(?), it's pretty much a lost cause, no matter the scenario.

Finland and the northernmost parts of modern Sweden? Eh, maybe. There's no way a border would or could look like that, though, for any extended amount of time. Civil war, insurrection, rebellion, whatever. It's dumb.
It's since it's Russian puppet state and nobody else recognizes it as the legitimate government of Sweden. The Scandinavian/'Swedish' thing happened shortly before that map and I don't think it's supposed to be a stable situation.

PittTheElder posted:

It honestly makes sense if you read the timeline. The three Sicilies is the result of the Bourbon King of Naples doing extremely well during a Spanish Civil war and then people started calling it Three Sicilies and the name kinda stuck. Belgium has nothing to do with our Belgium, it's a very different state that just happens to share the same name. The Janissary Sultanate was the result of a recent long civil war which left one faction in control of the European part and the other of the rest and neither side had the resources to cross the Aegean. The Janissary state is obviously not very viable in the long run.

Most alternate history is just terrible nationalistic stuff, but this one is actually kinda okay. You can't judge an alternate history only from a map (although it's pretty fair to do so in a map thread :downs:)

:goonsay: etc.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I was always quite fond of For Want of a Nail:

The British general Burgoyne defeats Gates at the Battle of Saratoga and the British subsequently win the American Revolutionary War. Britain takes a concilliatory attitude and the Confederation of North America is established as a dominion of sorts so the colonies can manage their own affairs as part of the Empire (leading eventually to de facto independence), while the die-hard republicans go into self-imposed exile in Texas and are so successful in their second independence war that they sort of accidentally conquer the country they were declaring independence from, integrating themselves into Mexico's caste system at the top alongside the Criollos.

The whole "novel" is written like a history textbook, packed with footnotes for books that were never written, statistical tables of census data, and a foreward by a professor from the United States of Mexico which heavily criticises the text for its "obvious pro-Confederate bias".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Someone else, please post the maps from Fight And Be Right. Can't access crap from this machine, but Commie Britain and Commie British Empire look kickin' rad.