Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Oh great, an Egyptian Obama.

Hey, that's not fair, no one said the guy was a cynical liar with no views of his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

gfanikf posted:

Hey, that's not fair, no one said the guy was a cynical liar with no views of his own.

I also haven't read anywhere of Morsi bombing a house full of civilians.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I also haven't read anywhere of Morsi bombing a house full of civilians.

I haven't read that about Obama either.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

gfanikf posted:

I haven't read that about Obama either.

There's lots of fallout from his drone policy specifically because it's something like 50:1 civilian:combatant death ratio.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Lets not derail this thread.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

TheBalor posted:

It started out rather hopeful, but from what I understand the problem wasn't just incompetence, but the fact that it was arrogant incompetence. The MB basically acted without consulting the opinions of other parties in government on every issue, and plowed forward to push their own agenda. IIRC there was an editorial on al-jazeera that speculated this had roots in the Brotherhood's history of being a clandestine organization, rather than a political party. The leadership isn't used to consulting a broad range of interests, and opposed parties are seen in the same light that Mubarak's men were: stooges and thugs.

Once again, the parallel to the current and future Republican Party remains horribly apt.
(Edit - Sorry, not trying to derail. I've just mentioned it before, and the parallels keep being more and more striking.)

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
AJ is saying, "President Mohamed Morsi and opposition groups told they have 48 hours to calm protests, or face intervention." To calm protests? That sounds rather open-ended, and not like he has to calm them by giving them what they want.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

OwlBot 2000 posted:

AJ is saying, "President Mohamed Morsi and opposition groups told they have 48 hours to calm protests, or face intervention." To calm protests? That sounds rather open-ended, and not like he has to calm them by giving them what they want.

They actually said 'to meet the demands of the people'. So, Al Jazeera.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I took it more as a message to the protestors that if they keep it up for another 2 days then the army will depose Morsi.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
The Egyptian military seems like a surprisingly decent institution, as long as you let them have their corrupt business deals and contracts. I bet Morsi wishes he'd been friendlier to them now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OwlBot 2000 posted:

The Egyptian military seems like a surprisingly decent institution, as long as you let them have their corrupt business deals and contracts. I bet Morsi wishes he'd been friendlier to them now.

They're the Turkish Military but without the "saving the legacy of [founding figure of the modern state]" shtick.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

OwlBot 2000 posted:

They were plenty friendly, I'd say the heads of the military would prefer the MB had maintained power.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Ham posted:

They were plenty friendly, I'd say the heads of the military would prefer the MB had maintained power.

For some reason I thought he reduced their power a bit, dismissed some generals and so on. Maybe it was mere rhetoric.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

He moved against Tantawi iirc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Imapanda posted:

The demographics of Egypt haven't changed much in a year. If another election is to crop up, wont the rural peasants just be able to upvote another religious conservative into power again?

That's not why Morsi won. After Mubarak fell, it was a really weird transitional phase where people weren't all on the same page. Morsi brought everyone together. It was mostly through the use of buzzwords, and powerful speaking, which in hindsight, were foreshadowing for his egomaniac tendencies, and his refusal to focus on actual problems instead of his pet issues. Morsi united the revolution better than any of the other candidates. I'm glad they won't have to wait for his full term to finish before replacing him though. Now the Egyptian people are united behind not just ending the reign and culture of tyranny, but actual legitimate progress.

Just a reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7grlfg0K2s&t=77s

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 1, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
I'm not Egyptian, but I really wanted Morsi to win because electing Ahmed Shafiq or Amr Moussa would have been like re-electing Mubarak, or at least Mubarak's cousin. I'm sure many Egyptians felt the same way. Also, a lot of times campaign infrastructure, electoral math and vote-splitting has as much to do with elections as "The Will of The People." If the latter exists, I think it's easier to find in mass movements and on the streets than in a polling booth.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm seeing reports that the army entered Maspero.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Apparently a Dutch reporter was gang-raped by five protesters. What the hell is wrong with Egyptians or their culture? 99.3% of women report sexual harassment, or worse. I know we can't blame all Egyptians for this, and many are fighting against this, but enough people are committing crimes or standing by and tolerating it to make Egypt one of the worst countries in the world to be a woman.

quote:

46 sexual assaults have happened in the country since Sunday in the protests.
Holy poo poo.

http://www.ibtimes.com/journalist-dina-zakaria-says-dutch-reporter-was-raped-tahrir-square-during-egyptian-protests-1329925

Edit: This isn't just an Egyptian issue, it's a global issue that effects India, Africa and the USA as well. I don't want to single them out because rape culture is global, but between this and the FGM statistics I've got reason to wonder if Egypt is the absolute worst.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 1, 2013

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Xandu posted:

I'm seeing reports that the army entered Maspero.

They sent someone to deliver the address recording personally but nothing else.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->
In the case of the Dutch woman, it's not been confirmed that she was raped (out of privacy) but she was sexually assaulted by a giant crowd and then carried into an ambulance. There's a news video here http://nos.nl/video/524356-nederlandse-vrouw-22-aangevallen-op-tahrirplein.html. She's only 22 years old :cry:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Edit: This isn't just an Egyptian issue, it's a global issue that effects India, Africa and the USA as well. I don't want to single them out because rape culture is global, but between this and the FGM statistics I've got reason to wonder if Egypt is the absolute worst.

It's a particularly big issue in cultures where women are so oppressed and kept seperate from men such as many of the countries in the middle east and around the Indian subcontinent. Must be absolutely horrifying for all the women that get caught up in it.

Between this journalist and Lara Logan it's highlighting the particular risk they take in situations like this

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I think part of it is simply that there has been a great deal of international scrutiny on Egypt foremost as an Arab-Muslim country coming off of a decade where Arab-Muslim countries had special focus as military/diplomatic targets. India is only recently getting attention despite sexual harassment and misogyny being absolutely endemic to social relations.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 1, 2013

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:

Perhaps a historic image of helicopters that have started flying over Cairo carrying Egyptian flags.

Also a disturbing video has surfaced of an alleged Brotherhood member being beaten up by an angry crowd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loNZWRuKByY

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

az jan jananam posted:

I think part of it is simply that there has been a great deal of international scrutiny on Egypt foremost as a Muslim country. India is only recently getting attention despite sexual harassment and misogyny being endemic to the culture.

I think it's probably less due to the fact that it's a Muslim country than the fact that it's, by regional standards, a relatively developed country. Nobody's surprised when people in a failed state like Somalia act that way, or a horrifically impoverished, war-torn place like Sierra Leone, but Egypt doesn't have quite so many excuses. India has probably gotten a pass because it's a model third-world Liberal nation that doesn't rock the boat economically.

Edit: vv Is being a crossdressing man any safer than being a woman, if you're abducted by these creeps?

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 1, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Apparently a Dutch reporter was gang-raped by five protesters. What the hell is wrong with Egyptians or their culture? 99.3% of women report sexual harassment, or worse. I know we can't blame all Egyptians for this, and many are fighting against this, but enough people are committing crimes or standing by and tolerating it to make Egypt one of the worst countries in the world to be a woman.
Holy poo poo.

http://www.ibtimes.com/journalist-dina-zakaria-says-dutch-reporter-was-raped-tahrir-square-during-egyptian-protests-1329925

There's a video in which a egyptian man cross-dressed as a woman to experience first hand all the sexual harassment women experience in Egypt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNZt1T5rAQ

It was a terrifying experience for the guy such as having scores of men demand a date or stalking him for multiple blocks despite being told off.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pieter posted:

In the case of the Dutch woman, it's not been confirmed that she was raped (out of privacy) but she was sexually assaulted by a giant crowd and then carried into an ambulance. There's a news video here http://nos.nl/video/524356-nederlandse-vrouw-22-aangevallen-op-tahrirplein.html. She's only 22 years old :cry:

You would think they'd stop sending young female reporters to cover the protests. In fact, I think it's dangerous for everyone right now.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
I don't think she's been identified as a reporter. Who knows why she was there.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Pieter posted:

I don't think she's been identified as a reporter. Who knows why she was there.

Not that you're saying she deserved it or was stupid for being near the protests, but questions like whether she's a reporter or "who knows why she was there" are completely irrelevant. Whoever is elected next (Sabbahi?) I hope they'll make gender equality one of their top priorities, push for women's education and an end to FGM. There's no excuse for this barbarism in the 21st century.

Phlegmish posted:

You would think they'd stop sending young female reporters to cover the protests

You would think they'd stop sending rapists to protest. But practically speaking, you're probably right :(

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 1, 2013

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
"You'll never defeat my spirit" (on sexual harassment in Egypt), by Doaa Eladl

"I'm a Salafi...but not like the others!" from Mohammed Baradei's FB

Protest Dog

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

You would think they'd stop sending young female reporters to cover the protests. In fact, I think it's dangerous for everyone right now.

I already know of a few who decided not to go to Tahrir yesterday because of all the reports of assault.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
The way women are treated is probably the worst thing about Cairo. I'd never take family or girlfriend here. It disgusts me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, is there any reason to believe the Army is really going to back their words? Or is just a bluff?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dinoputz posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Arabs

This says 40% of Arabs in Iran are unskilled urban workers, otherwise rural farmers or nomads, so I'm guessing your reason is that because they're generally poor. Is there any other reason, or is it because of this Arabs are generally seen as "low-class"/"uncivilized"/"untrustworthy minority" (remnant from the 80's?) in Iran? Wiki says overwhelming majority are Twelver Shi'a, so I'm assuming it's not a religious basis for discrimination. I'm vaguely aware of an area that has a (Sunni, I think) separatist/autonomy movement going that flares up now and then, but is there any other reason Shi'a Arabs would want to stay away from Iran that falls under my Western radar?

Those stereotypes (and Persian ill-will towards Arabs) goes back much, much farther than the 80s. Back to the kingdom of Persia getting conquerred by Arabs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquest_of_Persia

How much that was reignited following the revolution, I do not know.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

The-Mole posted:

Those stereotypes (and Persian ill-will towards Arabs) goes back much, much farther than the 80s. Back to the kingdom of Persia getting conquerred by Arabs.

I'd argue it goes back way further into Assyrian, etc. vs Ancient Persian conflicts and rivalries. Far before the spread of Islam.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I know this is going to sound like I'm blaming the victim here but I truly am not. The Dutch reporter/journalist whatever she was woman was insane to go to Tahrir Square. I can understand Lara Logan not knowing what she was getting into, since Tahrir wasn't exactly known as Rapetown when she was there. But it's been 2 of years of the breakdown of law and order in Egypt and the prevalence of sexual harrassment that goes on daily on the the streets of Cairo is known to pretty much everyone at this point. And even if the Dutch reporter was "sent" to Tahrir, she didn't have to go. She must have known how incredibly risky it would be.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Charliegrs posted:

I know this is going to sound like I'm blaming the victim here but I truly am not. The Dutch reporter/journalist whatever she was woman was insane to go to Tahrir Square. I can understand Lara Logan not knowing what she was getting into, since Tahrir wasn't exactly known as Rapetown when she was there. But it's been 2 of years of the breakdown of law and order in Egypt and the prevalence of sexual harrassment that goes on daily on the the streets of Cairo is known to pretty much everyone at this point. And even if the Dutch reporter was "sent" to Tahrir, she didn't have to go. She must have known how incredibly risky it would be.

I'm sorry, but that's classic victim blaming.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Has anyone attempted to explain why rape is so prevalent in the middle east?
Is it religious/social mores? Or just the general problem of being a 3rd world poo poo-hole?

In any case, it's horrifying.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's not victim blaming. No one is saying its the fault of anyone other than the rapists but you really just shouldn't go there as a woman. There's no safety net or anything to prevent these kind of crimes right now.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm sorry, but that's classic victim blaming.

Yeah I was waiting for someone to say it. I guess if I walked into a crazy mob of hungry people holding a bunch of loaves of bread and there was zero police presence should I really be surprised when all my bread gets stolen right out of my hands? And was I absolutely crazy for walking into that mob of hungry people? Of course I was.

I really wish there was a way to articulate how I feel about the situation with the Dutch reporter that didn't make me sound like a completely cold A-hole. I feel REALLY bad for her and I hope she recovers both physically and psychologically. But she did put herself into a very dangerous situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Charliegrs posted:

I really wish there was a way to articulate how I feel about the situation with the Dutch reporter that didn't make me sound like a completely cold A-hole. I feel REALLY bad for her and I hope she recovers both physically and psychologically. But she did put herself into a very dangerous situation.

More likely her news station did.

• Locked thread