Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LastInLine posted:

Talk works? It's specifically the Talk service that changes the indicators blue.

If by Talk you mean Hangouts :smug: then yes it also is working fine. Which is why I'm so confused!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

If by Talk you mean Hangouts :smug: then yes it also is working fine. Which is why I'm so confused!
Actually by Talk I mean the GTalk service which controls c2dm. I would imagine Hangouts uses the same service but I wouldn't know as Hangouts are unusable garbage. If you're running a CM-based ROM you might have the GTalk Service Monitor in the Developer Tools where you can verify the connection.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LastInLine posted:

Actually by Talk I mean the GTalk service which controls c2dm. I would imagine Hangouts uses the same service but I wouldn't know as Hangouts are unusable garbage. If you're running a CM-based ROM you might have the GTalk Service Monitor in the Developer Tools where you can verify the connection.

It says it's connected, but the packet status says it hasn't sent or received poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

It says it's connected, but the packet status says it hasn't sent or received poo poo.

At least we know the problem now. If you hit the Reconnect option in the ⋮ menu does it fix it?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

HTC One Settings Menu posted:

Kernel version
3.4.10-g0a0f902
root@abm001 #1
SMP PREEMPT

This might be a silly question, but does this mean my phone is rooted? After some googling, the kernel revision number matched up to a third party kernel (Bulletproof.) I just bought this phone from AT&T not even a month ago, and I definitely didn't make any attempt to root the phone yet.

Edit: I don't seem to have root/su access, but does this still mean that someone rooted it, returned it, and AT&T and/or HTC relocked it with a custom kernel in place?

enojy fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 1, 2013

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

I know I took the gamble when I flashed it, but PA on my Note 2 is terrible. Halo is cool and all, but app syncing does not work. For any app. I've already tried the obvious solutions and a few not-so-obvious.

Back to a TouchWiz based ROM I guess. I loved a lot of poo poo that 4.2.2 did too. :smith:

I haven't had any problems with the Carbon Rom or Slimbean on my Note. Maybe try one of them?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

enojy posted:

This might be a silly question, but does this mean my phone is rooted? After some googling, the kernel revision number matched up to a third party kernel (Bulletproof.) I just bought this phone from AT&T not even a month ago, and I definitely didn't make any attempt to root the phone yet.

Edit: I don't seem to have root/su access, but does this still mean that someone rooted it, returned it, and AT&T and/or HTC relocked it with a custom kernel in place?

quote:

root@abm001 #1

That is just the user and server for which your kernel was compiled. More than likely, if you haven't rooted and you don't have a custom ROM, you probably are not rooted.

I would suggest abm001 is the Android Build Machine 001 server within HTC.

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 1, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alan_Shore posted:

I haven't had any problems with the Carbon Rom or Slimbean on my Note. Maybe try one of them?

I just went back to Jelly Beans build 18 and everything works flawlessly again. I'll just wait for people to develop ROMs for TouchWiz base 4.2.2, whenever Samsung releases that.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My wifes captivate is running SlimJB (4.1.2) and she's not happy with the battery life. Anyone know if it would get better battery life running CM9 (ICS) instead?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ashex posted:

My wifes captivate is running SlimJB (4.1.2) and she's not happy with the battery life. Anyone know if it would get better battery life running CM9 (ICS) instead?

As a general rule you aren't going to get the greatest battery life unless you're on a Touchwiz-based firmware. Of course, this comes with trade-offs.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LastInLine posted:

At least we know the problem now. If you hit the Reconnect option in the ⋮ menu does it fix it?

Nope but rebooting again did!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

I'm running CM 10.1 Stable on my Nexus 4 currently. The battery life is poo poo. What are some ROMs with good battery life? I'd like to be able to go 24 hours without having to plug in ideally. Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

nimper posted:

As a general rule you aren't going to get the greatest battery life unless you're on a Touchwiz-based firmware. Of course, this comes with trade-offs.

Interesting, I was under the impression it was the other way around. In that case, will I get better battery life with CM9?

Using a stock rom on the Captivate is a minor PITA.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
10.1 works fine on the captivate, is there a reason you're intentionally sticking with 9?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ashex posted:

Interesting, I was under the impression it was the other way around. In that case, will I get better battery life with CM9?

Using a stock rom on the Captivate is a minor PITA.

Battery life is impacted by several factors. How you use the phone and the reception in your area will impact battery life most significantly, however. So if you have crappy signal and/or send a billion texts per day, the phone won't last very long.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

10.1 works fine on the captivate, is there a reason you're intentionally sticking with 9?

Primarily for performance, when I was using the Captivate I noticed it didn't run as smoothly with JB. I figure it'll run better with ICS.

nimper posted:

Battery life is impacted by several factors. How you use the phone and the reception in your area will impact battery life most significantly, however. So if you have crappy signal and/or send a billion texts per day, the phone won't last very long.

The fun part is my wife doesn't have a data plan, she uses it purely on WiFi and rarely makes phone calls on it. She primarily uses it for Skype/Viber calls, WhatsApp, and Facebook.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Use BetterBatteryStats to find out what is killing your battery. ROMs generally do not determine battery life (although custom kernels can make a difference). It's probably some dumb app.

Having said that, 24 hours on a N4 is a bit optimistic if you actually plan to use it for something.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tunga posted:

Use BetterBatteryStats to find out what is killing your battery. ROMs generally do not determine battery life (although custom kernels can make a difference). It's probably some dumb app.

Having said that, 24 hours on a N4 is a bit optimistic if you actually plan to use it for something.

"suspend_backoff", "msm_hsic_host", and "PowerManagerService" are the big three offenders on kernel wakelock. Any clue what these are? Is kernel wakelock even what I should be looking at? Thanks for the reply, btw.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

"suspend_backoff", "msm_hsic_host", and "PowerManagerService" are the big three offenders on kernel wakelock. Any clue what these are? Is kernel wakelock even what I should be looking at? Thanks for the reply, btw.
msm_hsic_host is what you'd see if you're getting bitten by the Qualcomm wakelock bug. The 3G radio doesn't suspend properly. There is no fix and it happens on stock as well as on custom ROMs. suspend_backoff is a wakelock that is basically a symptom of msm_hsic_host (it's a wakelock that's triggered when the device is woken and suspended rapidly in succession) so you can consider those two sides of the same coin.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mostly as above.

You can try Franco kernel, it has some fixes for those issues but they don't work for everyone.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know if this is any better place to ask than any loving where else on the Web, but does anybody, anywhere, know of a fix for wifi tether on a Galaxy Note 2 with an AOSP rom and kernel?

XDA's brilliant policies prevent me from taking the issue up with anyone remotely intelligent there.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

ArcMage posted:

I don't know if this is any better place to ask than any loving where else on the Web, but does anybody, anywhere, know of a fix for wifi tether on a Galaxy Note 2 with an AOSP rom and kernel?

XDA's brilliant policies prevent me from taking the issue up with anyone remotely intelligent there.

I didn't even know there was an issue, personally. CM10.1 wifi tethering on my AT&T Note 2 works fine for me.

Edit : in similar news : For anyone on the fence about CM10.1 being good enough for a daily driver, as of the 6/30 nightly, it is. I had been holding out until horrid bluetooth issues were solved, and it seems they were.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 2, 2013

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Nerdrock posted:

I didn't even know there was an issue, personally. CM10.1 wifi tethering on my AT&T Note 2 works fine for me.

Edit : in similar news : For anyone on the fence about CM10.1 being good enough for a daily driver, as of the 6/30 nightly, it is. I had been holding out until horrid bluetooth issues were solved, and it seems they were.

That's good news already, then. I've been thoroughly enjoying both carbon rom and matrix/plasma kernel, but I have found zero working configs for wifi tether.

What are you using, please? Version and settings and things.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm one of the losers who updated his d2vzw to CM 10.1.0.1 without checking to make sure the "stable" update wouldn't render his phone useless... Has anyone successfully fixed the no mobile data, no phone calls issue without having to flash all the way back to stock? Will flashing 10.1.0.2 be a waste of my time?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

ArcMage posted:

That's good news already, then. I've been thoroughly enjoying both carbon rom and matrix/plasma kernel, but I have found zero working configs for wifi tether.

What are you using, please? Version and settings and things.

I came from CleanROM ACE 4.9 , but it's just the CM10.1 6/30 nightly from here, and the included kernel.

Edit : Kernetl 3.0.64-CM-g31f128d , and no special tools for the hotspot, just the feature built in to the system. (One thing that bums me out about the stock wifi hotspot system compared to TouchWiz roms is that you can't hide your SSID).

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 2, 2013

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Nerdrock posted:

I came from CleanROM ACE 4.9 , but it's just the CM10.1 6/30 nightly from here, and the included kernel.

Edit : Kernetl 3.0.64-CM-g31f128d , and no special tools for the hotspot, just the feature built in to the system. (One thing that bums me out about the stock wifi hotspot system compared to TouchWiz roms is that you can't hide your SSID).

My native hotspot fails entirely to start, but I'm on Carbon nighties and Plasma, so I am expecting to chalk it up to some combo of rom, kernel, and carrier.

Oh well. Gonna buy into a proper dedicated device anyways, most likely.

Thanks much!

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
So, I was a dumbshit and accidentally accepted an over-the-air update on my rooted Verizon Galaxy S3, and I'm getting the yellow triangle of death when I try to enter recovery, along with red text in the upper left saying - Secure Fail: Kernel. What do I do from here, or am I straight-up bricked?

Edit 1: I can get into Odin mode! (Home button, volume down, power - wait for it to vibrate once, release power but keep holding the other two buttons.)

Edit 2: Flashed the VRBLK_3 bootchain, and it got me up and running again.

Edit: FIXED, so nevermind.

Harettazetta fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 2, 2013

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Mogomra posted:

Will flashing 10.1.0.2 be a waste of my time?
It certainly was a waste of time! Surprisingly, flashing back to stock wasn't necessary. I flashed plain old 10.1, no .0.1 or .0.2, and mobile data works. What a mess.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

I decided to take the plunge yesterday and after much pulling of hair got my USC Galaxy S3 flashed to CM 10.1. Really I just couldn't stand the Samsung apps, but the stable version of 10.1 breaks the camera for some reason. I read that the nightly builds fix this but I worry about flashing a nightly and losing something more important then my camera.

Maybe CM isn't even the way to go, I've been reading about all the different roms I can get but I really don't even know where to start. What rom do the S3 users around here prefer?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Mogomra posted:

It certainly was a waste of time! Surprisingly, flashing back to stock wasn't necessary. I flashed plain old 10.1, no .0.1 or .0.2, and mobile data works. What a mess.

CM's G+ post explains the problems, and 10.1.0.3 should have it all sorted out: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CyanogenMod/posts/3WRFRuWgPWd

This may also address USC issues? I'm not sure.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FuzzyPickles posted:

I read that the nightly builds fix this but I worry about flashing a nightly and losing something more important then my camera.
You might want to go with the nightly anyways as that also fixes the issue with sending long SMSes.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

FuzzyPickles posted:

I decided to take the plunge yesterday and after much pulling of hair got my USC Galaxy S3 flashed to CM 10.1. Really I just couldn't stand the Samsung apps, but the stable version of 10.1 breaks the camera for some reason. I read that the nightly builds fix this but I worry about flashing a nightly and losing something more important then my camera.

Maybe CM isn't even the way to go, I've been reading about all the different roms I can get but I really don't even know where to start. What rom do the S3 users around here prefer?

Japanese quad-core SC3 here, I use CM10.1, one of the older nightlies. It works perfectly for me now though I had to flash twice since the first time hosed up my actual phone functionality somehow and I never realized it -- it was never ringing or notifying me that I had incoming calls.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

After a little messing around I noticed the SMS issue and I wasn't getting audio on notifications so I updated to the nightly from Sunday and it fixed all issues. Thanks guys.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Alarbus posted:

CM's G+ post explains the problems, and 10.1.0.3 should have it all sorted out: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CyanogenMod/posts/3WRFRuWgPWd

And it looks like 10.1.0.3 has issues with stereo audio not working. Good grief.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Honestly the 10.1 RCs went on for far too long. And stable doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for actively-changing devices where folks keep finding new bugs and fixing them. The M-series makes more sense here. It's basically "wait a few days for recent changes to settle down, release, then push forward" and, ironically, ends up being less buggy that way.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 4, 2013

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Protocol7 posted:

I know I took the gamble when I flashed it, but PA on my Note 2 is terrible. Halo is cool and all, but app syncing does not work. For any app. I've already tried the obvious solutions and a few not-so-obvious.

Back to a TouchWiz based ROM I guess. I loved a lot of poo poo that 4.2.2 did too. :smith:

What do you mean app syncing?

PA on my nexus 4 is amazing but it's an aosp-based rom running on a nexus device so of course its gonna be stable and work right. Also Halo is polished and impressive but really only cool cause its facebook messenger heads for not facebook

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nigga crab pollock posted:

What do you mean app syncing?

PA on my nexus 4 is amazing but it's an aosp-based rom running on a nexus device so of course its gonna be stable and work right. Also Halo is polished and impressive but really only cool cause its facebook messenger heads for not facebook

Emails would not sync. I had to check for app updates manually. That kind of stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone else with a Nexus 4 tried out the CM nightly for today? SystemUI just continually crashed for me.

Edit: just checked on the G+ community, and it looks like it's a known issue.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Yep, I'm on .0.3 now too. I just noticed my phone will only output the right channel of any audio through the headphone jack now. :( I know it's not my headphones, I hope it's a software issue, and my phone isn't mysteriously falling apart like my Nexus 7...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mogomra posted:

I just noticed my phone will only output the right channel of any audio through the headphone jack now. :(
It's a known issue, 10.1.0.3 is borked, just install a nightly. But not last night's nightly, as that's the one that crashes on boot or something.

Maybe wait until tomorrow.