Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

BabyRyoga posted:

For anyone who is skeptical of the quality of that OCR FF6 album, at least listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xFhULStbkQ

On the same album:

And as far as more traditional renditions of the opera go, THIS is definitely the best I've ever heard.

On another note, THIS remix of Setzer's theme blew my loving mind!

The whole album is pure gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

What do you think of Lightning Return's preorder bonus being Cloud's outfit?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

(FF VII) I subscribe to the theory that everyone died at the end. Makes me feel much better about a world where Dirge of Cerberus was made. The game alludes to that being the case too, I thought.

Dirge of Cerberus is the dying dream of half of the cast as they're being crushed by Meteor.

Advent Children is the other half's.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Azubah posted:

Here's a video of the outfit in action.
http://youtu.be/iBuNCDW9bmE

This game is going to be so heavy on the FF fanservice, and that's awesome. It shouldn't be limited to preorders though.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Renoistic posted:

This game is going to be so heavy on the FF fanservice, and that's awesome. It shouldn't be limited to preorders though.

There's people already saying they are insulted by this and, of course, clamouring for a FF7 remake because we are "totally getting it now, guys!" :allears:

Youtube comments posted:

For goodness sake Square-Enix. Just re-make FFVII. We've had enough with your teasing. Seriously. I bought a PS3 based on the 'FF7 tech demo'. I've not played an FF game I enjoyed since FFIX. I don't want excuses about FF7 costing too much to re-make. You've made the Fabula Nova Crystallis project (well, FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIV etc) There is enough money there to make FFVII. Don't do a Sega. Listen to your fans. We got you to where you are today! From FF7's biggest fanboy, Simon, England, UK

:allears:

(Should I edit out the name)

Veks fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 2, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning Returns gonna own, y'all. So much good stuff in one game, it's probably gonna be the first FF13 I pick up on release.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Don't mind for one bit that SE is pulling at my fanboy strings, I'm excited for the Cloud outfit. And hey, it's a lot better looking than a lot of the ones we've seen so far! :v: Get me a Balthier outfit for a Gunner type class and I'll be golden.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 2, 2013

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know we got on this discussion by saying "Every FF has a poo poo story whatever" but I heavily disagree. The gameplay in these games simply isn't good enough most of the time to justify completely skipping entire cutscenes, the story has to at least be entertaining if not a masterpiece of writing. I thought FFX had an entertaining story, I remember playing through it while other friends were too and getting to school and discussing things like SIN IS TIDUS DAD HOLY poo poo. Plus as far as I know it was the only FF to actually have a straight up bittersweet ending, after a lot of the previous ones teased it. I think FF7, FF8, FF9 all had an ending you were supposed to believe was unhappy but ~it all works out in the end~, the FFX one was something pretty bold at the time.

Different strokes bro.

I guess my standard for gameplay is low enough that I don't mind FF combat divorced from horrible anime stories. And your standard for writing is low enough that FF cutscenes enrich what would otherwise be very shallow gameplay.

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 2, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Lightning Returns gonna own, y'all. So much good stuff in one game, it's probably gonna be the first FF13 I pick up on release.

I kind of want to play it now because everything that has come out so far about it looks really fun, but I'm afraid I might have to know what happened in 13-2 to understand anything and I really don't want to play 13-2.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Red Bones posted:

I kind of want to play it now because everything that has come out so far about it looks really fun, but I'm afraid I might have to know what happened in 13-2 to understand anything and I really don't want to play 13-2.

The only thing important about 13-2 is you learn "Don't gently caress with the time stream" and Serah dies at the end. Now you can skip every cutscene and enjoy the enhanced battle system and actual RPG elements.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 2, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
If you won't play XIII-2, at least get its soundtrack (it's seriously awesome). And that Cloud outfit is baller. I just don't have the money to preorder LR right now. :(

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Figured I'd crosspost this here from the What Should I Know thread because a few more people who have actually played the game might read this thread. So:

I started FF 12 Zodiac Job Edition and am immediately paralyzed by choice on the class selection screen. Is it possible to screw yourself with stupid class choices (I assume all white mages is pretty hard but otherwise)? Is there a newbie trap class? Any other tips appreciated too.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
drat that FF6 album :allears:

There's some really, really good takes on songs I've known for years. The Phantom Train and Cyan ones are fantastic but I've only just started listening to the entire thing.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The Modeserpent remix of FF6 is still my favorite VG remix of any game.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Renoistic posted:

Square-Enix @ peak troll levels

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If the pre-order actually changes the victory fanfare to the FFVII one I might actually consider it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Amppelix posted:

Figured I'd crosspost this here from the What Should I Know thread because a few more people who have actually played the game might read this thread. So:

I started FF 12 Zodiac Job Edition and am immediately paralyzed by choice on the class selection screen. Is it possible to screw yourself with stupid class choices (I assume all white mages is pretty hard but otherwise)? Is there a newbie trap class? Any other tips appreciated too.

Nah, it's pretty hard to screw yourself over, as the classes are pretty well balanced. Try to have some magical offense (mostly Black or Red Mage, although really anyone with the Shades of Black license can do in a pinch), some physical offense, and some decent item-based healing. Quite a few classes can get some decent magic healing, but White Mages are always a useful job.

Giving an Esper to characters can unlock islands of additional licenses for some jobs as well, so you should check your options before giving an Esper to someone. If you want a concise list of jobs with their abilities, and what Licenses your jobs will be competing for with Espers, you can look here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/52876031

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Pick what looks fun to you, this is a game that has had people clear it in single-character level 1 runs, so you can't permanently screw yourself over.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I just found out about the 13 day time limit thing in 13-3 and how it's being compared to Majora's Mask. I hated that mechanic in that game and I have a feeling it's gonna seriously turn me off on this :(

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

AlmightyBob posted:

I just found out about the 13 day time limit thing in 13-3 and how it's being compared to Majora's Mask. I hated that mechanic in that game and I have a feeling it's gonna seriously turn me off on this :(

I would think it would be more akin to the time limit in the first Valkyrie Profile. Have they mentioned any way to rewind time in Lightning Returns?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

W.T. Fits posted:

I would think it would be more akin to the time limit in the first Valkyrie Profile. Have they mentioned any way to rewind time in Lightning Returns?

Apparently doing some side missions or whatever might give you more time, or cost time apparently. It'll be interesting to see how they juggle that, though the rushed completionist in me is screaming already.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

W.T. Fits posted:

"The game plays on the world-driven concept with a "doomsday clock" element that determines Lightning needs to prevent the world's destruction within thirteen days. The player is initially given seven days to explore the world[10], but players can turn back the clock by defeating enemies or performing certain actions and completing certain missions posted on bulletin boards. Sometimes if Lightning helps people it will reduce the life of the world.[11] The "Lightspeed" ability allows Lightning to slow time down for everything except her at the cost of consuming time from the thirteen day limit.

A day in the world of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII lasts twenty-four hours, like in the real world, as after the Day of Ragnarok in Final Fantasy XIII, two hours were lost.[12] This is to make up for the clocks in Nautilus and Oerba's schoolhouse in Final Fantasy XIII that were 13-hour clocks, and for Mog in Final Fantasy XIII-2 having a 12-hour clock to show the change in a day's length. According to Motomu Toriyama, the developers are still determining the length of an in-game day, with the current popular choices being between one and two real-time hours.[13] Time stands still when the game's menu is open.

The player may want to be in specific locations in specific times where black haze called Chaos Infusions will appear indicating the area has become monster territory, where the player will find the toughest opponents. Defeating monsters gives items used to strengthen equipment as well as points to extend the time on the doomsday clock.[2][14]

Because the play time can be extended, it allows for a player-specific game experience, and different choices yield different events. It will not be possible to see every cutscene in one playthrough and the time management structure means players can have different experiences each time they play the game.[13] However, Abe has stated he acknowledges players want a 100-hour RPG experience and that is possible with Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII."

From the FF wiki.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Welp there goes any interest I had in that game unless I can import someone's max-level new game+ character.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

Square-Enix @ peak troll levels

Just wait until the Aeries Flower Girl outfit download. Or better yet Classic Final Fantasy Characters DLC for Kingdom hearts 3.

They can milk this harder I know they can.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Welp there goes any interest I had in that game unless I can import someone's max-level new game+ character.

It is a Final Fantasy game. The odds of the time limit being even remotely restrictive are hovering right about 0%.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know it was the only FF to actually have a straight up bittersweet ending, after a lot of the previous ones teased it. I think FF7, FF8, FF9 all had an ending you were supposed to believe was unhappy but ~it all works out in the end~, the FFX one was something pretty bold at the time.

One of the surprisingly touching scenes in FFVIII was Laguna visiting Raine's grave and having a flashback of proposing to her. Then it goes back to the present and him looking down at the grave and you remember that Raine died all alone after giving birth to Squall.

But yeah, only FFX has a truly sad ending. It's my favorite after Ia's.

Krad posted:

Dirge of Cerberus is the dying dream of half of the cast as they're being crushed by Meteor.

Advent Children is the other half's.

Let's all be Freudian and discuss what it implies about their characters that Tifa wants smaller breasts and to wear an actually somewhat respectable outfit, and Vincent wants a loli love interest.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
After reading all that on the wiki, I'm even more excited for Lightning Returns. Sounds really fun.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Does that mean you can store up 13 days at a time and keep refilling it indefinitely, or is it just 7 days plus a potential 6 extra and that's it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It is a Final Fantasy game. The odds of the time limit being even remotely restrictive are hovering right about 0%.

Shhhh. I'm trying to prevent myself from buying it and the thousands of fan service costumes and then be found dead of embarrassment when someone finds out how much I spent on them.

Honestly, though, even with really lax time-restrictions I tend to stop having fun with games because even knowing I have more than enough time to do whatever I want I feel an immense pressure that I'm playing ineffeciently and can't just slack off to do whatever.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tempo 119 posted:

Does that mean you can store up 13 days at a time and keep refilling it indefinitely, or is it just 7 days plus a potential 6 extra and that's it?

It's likely 7 plus an extra 6. There's only 13 days total. You can slow down its progress, though, and extend your playtime.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The way that's phrased reminds me more of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter than Majora's Mask.

Luckily I liked both of those games.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If the game has a strong new game+ that lets you advance through stuff you've done already quickly to find the true ending I'd be fine with that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
So if a whole day in XIII-3 is 24 hours, you have at least 168, up to 312 hours to burn in the game. Considering I was able to do nearly everything in XII in about 80, this makes me far less worried about the time limit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

So if a whole day in XIII-3 is 24 hours, you have at least 168, up to 312 hours to burn in the game. Considering I was able to do nearly everything in XII in about 80, this makes me far less worried about the time limit.

The Wiki is missing a part that a major questline in FFXIII-3 is taking 140 college credit hours in order to get a degree in Final Fantasy so you don't have too many free hours to work with.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

24 in game hours. They haven't decided on real time yet but are thinking around 2 hours a day.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AlmightyBob posted:

24 in game hours. They haven't decided on real time yet but are thinking around 2 hours a day.

Yeah, I don't know why they bother specifying how long the "in game" day is when each in game hour is a couple minutes. Do we really care how many fake hours are in an arbitrary day cycle in this world?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I could have sworn one of the interviews said something about a New Game+ sort of situation where you restart with your level and power after you finish the game successfully or not, but I can't find it. Maybe I imagined the it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Azubah posted:

Mix of fan service and knowing there's a crowd of FF7 fans that will probably buy the game just because they can be FemCloud now.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Paracelsus posted:

If the pre-order actually changes the victory fanfare to the FFVII one I might actually consider it.

Oh my gosh it does.

http://www.blogiswar.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lightning-Returns-Cloud-01.jpg

They've got my preorder. Congrats Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Winks posted:

Oh my gosh it does.

http://www.blogiswar.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lightning-Returns-Cloud-01.jpg

They've got my preorder. Congrats Square.

Ah crap it includes the sword twirl victory animation too.