Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Is the castration/cataphracts tied to being greek?

As I'm a trade republic not under anyone's control.

Yep, anyone in the Byzantine culture group. Alan, Armenian, Georgian, and Greek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Thanks for the advice re: kings. I think I'll hand out Trebizond and Bulgaria, since they're both relatively small sections of my empire so I might as well farm them out to vassals, but hang onto Nicaea for now.

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

maev posted:

Glad to see so much Byzantine love in this thread (even if its spurred on by love of cataphracti and castration).

Byzantines are a lot of fun in CK2 and EU3, I love ruling as a ruthless emperor and crushing the hordes at my borders.

By the way, reassembling the Byzantine empire in EU3 is a lot of fun.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Thanks to early game mishaps (still learning the game) I'm suffering through eugenics purgatory. In the succession of kings my first born ends up being a complete dumb dumb, with no stats above 7. This has happened three kings in a row. I'm also on primogeniture succession which I thought would be the right way to go but it's been giving me lots of headaches. I'm thinking about changing succession laws but too many vassals hate my stupidity to not let this be an option.

Any suggestions on how to break the cycle? Mind you with such terrible scores and a mediocre spymaster there's little chance of bringing plotters into the fold. I also need money to create a king of Wales title.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
More images of development!
By the way, if this bores anyone, or if you're tired of seeing my avatar so much, just tell me I'll just hold on until I actually release the update

The northern continent of Norrheim will be divided between two de jure kingdoms-- the Kingdom of The White in the interior, and the Kingdom of Nordhalla, on the coasts. At the 4256 start, the Jarls of Norrheim will mostly be a mass of independent small counties and duchies. I have the idea of it being a large, complex version of Ireland, basically.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

More images of development!
By the way, if this bores anyone, or if you're tired of seeing my avatar so much, just tell me I'll just hold on until I actually release the update

The northern continent of Norrheim will be divided between two de jure kingdoms-- the Kingdom of The White in the interior, and the Kingdom of Nordhalla, on the coasts. At the 4256 start, the Jarls of Norrheim will mostly be a mass of independent small counties and duchies. I have the idea of it being a large, complex version of Ireland, basically.

Oh boy, can't wait to play as the Inuit expy's! Also it does not bore me, it makes for a nice little interlude between questions and cataphracts.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Kodo posted:

Thanks to early game mishaps (still learning the game) I'm suffering through eugenics purgatory. In the succession of kings my first born ends up being a complete dumb dumb, with no stats above 7. This has happened three kings in a row. I'm also on primogeniture succession which I thought would be the right way to go but it's been giving me lots of headaches. I'm thinking about changing succession laws but too many vassals hate my stupidity to not let this be an option.

Any suggestions on how to break the cycle? Mind you with such terrible scores and a mediocre spymaster there's little chance of bringing plotters into the fold. I also need money to create a king of Wales title.

Stats are based on education, not genetics. Genetics only affects inheritable traits like strong or ugly.

To break the cycle in education, you'll need to have your kids educated by someone with good stats and as high of level training as you can get (like midas touched rather than indulgent wastrel.) Education works by having periodic rolls to increase the kid's stat(s), with this capped at the tutor's stats and IIRC the formula uses some kind of percentage based on the tutor's stats so higher stat tutors cause more frequent successes (and a higher ceiling). So if you are having your dumb king educate his kids, they'll only be able to get to up 3s and 4s because that's the best that he's got. Just make sure to watch out for the tutor's culture/religion as well as any bad traits that they have.

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

jpmeyer posted:

Stats are based on education, not genetics. Genetics only affects inheritable traits like strong or ugly.

To break the cycle in education, you'll need to have your kids educated by someone with good stats and as high of level training as you can get (like midas touched rather than indulgent wastrel.) Education works by having periodic rolls to increase the kid's stat(s), with this capped at the tutor's stats and IIRC the formula uses some kind of percentage based on the tutor's stats so higher stat tutors cause more frequent successes (and a higher ceiling). So if you are having your dumb king educate his kids, they'll only be able to get to up 3s and 4s because that's the best that he's got. Just make sure to watch out for the tutor's culture/religion as well as any bad traits that they have.

Yeah, if you have any Mastermind Theologians or Grey Eminences in your kingdom that even vaguely like you, have them tutor your kid. I usually try and have my kids tutored by the most intelligent person in the kingdom that doesn't hate me.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

:argh:

I've just taken rome from the pope and my guy dies, unfortunately during this time I failed to notice another trade family take the lead in respect. Then this new Doge is so poo poo and weak both the Byzantine Empire and the Lotharingians (which the Republic of Amalfi is sandwiched between) decide to go to war and beat us down, then take Amalfi as a duchy leading to game over as with no Trade Republic I can't go on.

:argh:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Honestly for education I just sort by stewardship and then pick the highest guy with the same culture & religion. Probably not getting optimal heirs but I can't be hosed to think about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chunkles posted:

Honestly for education I just sort by stewardship and then pick the highest guy with the same culture & religion. Probably not getting optimal heirs but I can't be hosed to think about it.

That is basically what I do, but I try to make sure its my character that does it (unless someone has an insane stat) because the AI is a dick with educating heirs.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

jpmeyer posted:

Thanks for the info! Now if only my dumb king can get his wife pregnant and find someone in the realm with the same culture that isn't a complete mouthbreather.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Kodo posted:

Thanks for the info! Now if only my dumb king can get his wife pregnant and find someone in the realm with the same culture that isn't a complete mouthbreather.

Note: when you click on educate child in the diplomacy menu, it only looks at people in your court. If you use the person finder, you can search your entire realm for candidates (maybe one of your dukes has a world class chancellor?) as well as filter the results from the beginning to only include people with the same culture/religion.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I get real annoyed that there's only a handful of empires that can be formed and most of them have dumb requirements. If my norse raiders conquer half the levant they should be allowed to call themselves emperors.

Anyways, I want to replace the empire titles with a bunch of titular (no de jure territory) titles linked to specific cultures and religions. So if you are greek orthodox and control 3+ king titles you can form the byzantine empire. German or frank and you control 3+ king titles you can form the Holy Roman Empire. Etc.

I've looked at landed_titles.txt but all the empires are defined as collections of kingdoms which are collections of duchies...

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
With all the Byzantinechat, this seems a good a time as any to ask: I want to start as a duke in the Empire and stab, marry, double-cross, and shenanigans my way to the imperial throne. Is there a particularly good duke (in 867 and/or 1066) to start as to make this doable and fun, but not a matter of just pressing a button or two?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

the talent deficit posted:

I get real annoyed that there's only a handful of empires that can be formed and most of them have dumb requirements. If my norse raiders conquer half the levant they should be allowed to call themselves emperors.

Anyways, I want to replace the empire titles with a bunch of titular (no de jure territory) titles linked to specific cultures and religions. So if you are greek orthodox and control 3+ king titles you can form the byzantine empire. German or frank and you control 3+ king titles you can form the Holy Roman Empire. Etc.

I've looked at landed_titles.txt but all the empires are defined as collections of kingdoms which are collections of duchies...

This is pretty much how empires and kingdoms work in CK2+, and the current version of CK2+ still works with the beta patch, so you're in luck.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

This mod might work for you if you don't want a total game overhaul. It basically makes it possible to upgrade any title to a Kingdom or Empire titular title as long as the requirements are met.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

First time in ages I've played a PB+SWMH game, and this is the first time in this or vanilla I've seen an Italian elected Holy Roman Emperor and actually manage to hold onto the throne. That I've noticed, at least.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

You could just download the Titular Title Generator, which lets you set a number of owned Duchies to call yourself a king, even if they're not a "normal" kingdom, and then the same for King titles to name yourself Emperor. It also comes with a sweet Random Scenario mod, which can make things particularly bonkers.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
question guys, is there any way that you can possibly get Actual People in charge of all your various vassal levies? It's sorta annoying that since LoR changed levies you can raise all the troops in a kingdom and the only nobles who'll actually bother to fight with you are your council and maybe some random courtiers of yours. Sorta breaks things in my head when there's not even the theoretical possibility to get a say, Agincourt level of casualties in your vassal nobles when they're all sitting safely at home in their castles.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Check out CK2+, it does exactly this! And will let you examine the code to see how they did it.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Daeren posted:

With all the Byzantinechat, this seems a good a time as any to ask: I want to start as a duke in the Empire and stab, marry, double-cross, and shenanigans my way to the imperial throne. Is there a particularly good duke (in 867 and/or 1066) to start as to make this doable and fun, but not a matter of just pressing a button or two?

I recently played a game starting as the Doux of Athens in 1066. There's a weak emperor on the throne and after the Seljuk invasion a faction to lower crown authority will be founded / succeed, and probably even without your help if you don't want to participate for some reason. From there you'll be able to start revoking counties in your domain via plot and fabricating claims pretty easily. Within about 80-100 years I was able to break away from the empire as the independent Kingdom of Greece, you'll probably have an even easier time if you're just looking to become emperor.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SeaTard posted:

If they are Pagan, yes.

Create a mod directory:

User/My Documents/Paradox Interactive/mod/MyMod

Create a .mod file:

User/My Documents/Paradox Interactive/mod/MyMod.mod

The .mod file contains the following:

Then in the mod directory, put all the files you're changing, with their directory structure intact. So if you edit common/cb_types/00_cb_types.txt, create a common directory, create a cb_types directory under that, and then copy your modified file into that directory.

When you have everything in your mod configured the way you want it, zip it up and send it to your friend.

Alright thanks! Took a couple of gos, but I think it's all working in the end. So, I take it there won't be any issues continuing vanilla saves with the mod? Since all I did was just a few small tweaks

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is basically what I do, but I try to make sure its my character that does it (unless someone has an insane stat) because the AI is a dick with educating heirs.

Remember that the AI will act according to it's traits. Teachers with the zealous trait will always chose the "piety" option when educating children. That is the option that mostly reads "Pray for him" +5 piety, 80% chance nothing happens 20% chance that the pupil loses the bad trait. Gregarious and diligent tutors will drastically increase the likelihood that a child takes on their culture and/or religion, while shy and slothful tutors decrease this chance.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently you aren't allowed to execute traitors. But seizing a county, then their duchy, then blinding them seems to work out okay. The price of Roman peace. Only 55 more people to go.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So lets say, hypothetically I had enough money, could I endlessly present debutantes until I got one who was genius or strong? or is there something stopping me?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If you had endless money I think you can. However I think the more people in your court the more expensive it gets. With about 80 people in my court it cost around 300 gold each.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Daeren posted:

I'm trying with the Doux of Samos (I think its Samos). It's a rough start since you're an old dude. I spent the first few generations spreading my dynasty around the surrounding duchies through fabrication and marriage. Now my family controls like 9 duchies including my own three. My son has a weak claim on the Empire and when my current guy kicks the bucket, I should be set to take it.

I tried awhile back with the Doux of Athens and through luck and marriage alliances (mostly luck), I took Sicily early in the game. That gave me a good boost and I was able to spread into Italy and even Africa. Then everything fell apart and the Emperor about ground my dynasty into dust. Various kinsmen were imprisoned, had titles revoked, and castrated or blinded leaving only a few counts dotted about.

The death blow to my plan was when my goddamn brother murdered me and my dumb baby son took over. Dumb baby son was not a good ruler and I lost everything but one county in Athens.

Edit: Just played a bit and noticed a large faction to put my heir on the Imperial throne. Kinda early, but I can't complain.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 3, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Will people ever stop rebelling to try to restore Kingdoms? Will holding them for 100 years and du jure drift cause it to stop the rebellions?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

cheesetriangles posted:

If you had endless money I think you can. However I think the more people in your court the more expensive it gets. With about 80 people in my court it cost around 300 gold each.

I think it's actually based on your monthly/yearly income. When your character dies all decisions based on income cost only 1 gold until your first payday, so if you saved up 5k you could pause on your characters death and present 5k new débutantes. You'd probably get carpal tunnel syndrome before you found a strong/genius one though.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Started a new game as Harakd Fairhair. The first years have been good: I went pillaging to Wessex and immediately caught Æthelred's 17-year-old wife in a siege. Into the concubinarium the queen went. Then something fun happened: I got the event of her being pregnant and me being away. 7 months later a son was born to Æthelred and her! She was already pregnant when I got her. The son has the "born from a concubine" trait, which is silly, cause his parents had been married. There is also something annoying: the boy was immediately at his father's court in Wessex. Is there a cheat that could transfer him to my court? His mother was there and there's no way I'd have let him be taken to Wessex. It'd be fun to raise him Norse and wait till he inherits or put him on the throne myself.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Rurik posted:

Started a new game as Harakd Fairhair. The first years have been good: I went pillaging to Wessex and immediately caught Æthelred's 17-year-old wife in a siege. Into the concubinarium the queen went. Then something fun happened: I got the event of her being pregnant and me being away. 7 months later a son was born to Æthelred and her! She was already pregnant when I got her. The son has the "born from a concubine" trait, which is silly, cause his parents had been married. There is also something annoying: the boy was immediately at his father's court in Wessex. Is there a cheat that could transfer him to my court? His mother was there and there's no way I'd have let him be taken to Wessex. It'd be fun to raise him Norse and wait till he inherits or put him on the throne myself.

You should probably report this as a bug, though the only part that is obviously broken is the child magically whisking himself away to Wessex.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

RabidWeasel posted:

You should probably report this as a bug, though the only part that is obviously broken is the child magically whisking himself away to Wessex.

Ok, I'll report it.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

While we're on the topic of bugs, anyone get the bug where you have a vassal who you can rightfully imprison, but every time you do you get the notifier that he had escaped and fled. However, when I check the county that he had been ruling, he is still there and still in charge. So naturally I tried to imprison him again, which I was able to do without penalty, with the same results. After going through the cycle a couple times, I find that the "imprisoned," penalty gets stacked every time you try to imprison him. By the time I figured out what was going on, I had a -300 relations penalty. Starting the timer and stopping it again, however, allowed me to successfully imprison the guy. :v:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

uh zip zoom posted:

While we're on the topic of bugs, anyone get the bug where you have a vassal who you can rightfully imprison, but every time you do you get the notifier that he had escaped and fled. However, when I check the county that he had been ruling, he is still there and still in charge. So naturally I tried to imprison him again, which I was able to do without penalty, with the same results. After going through the cycle a couple times, I find that the "imprisoned," penalty gets stacked every time you try to imprison him. By the time I figured out what was going on, I had a -300 relations penalty. Starting the timer and stopping it again, however, allowed me to successfully imprison the guy. :v:

That's what happens when he's not a direct vassal, he can't rebel or run away but you can still imprison him if he's plotting, so you get effectively unlimited attempts.
It's quite a profitable racket in big empire to imprison and then ransom vassals of your vassals, you get money and risk pretty much nothing.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Is there a way to get a list of courtiers in another court and determine which ones would be willing to accept an invitation to your own court? Kind of similar to the way assassination plots are done with the red and green thumbs? Or do I just have to ask every single foreign courtier?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
You can do that with "the list of claimants to a given title", but not with "the list of residents at a given court", as far as I know.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Download Sonendar v.1.05

Sonendar v.1.05 is live!!

quote:

Important Changes:

- Expanded map to northeastern corner by adding the island of Varrheim, a harsh, arctic land
- Added new Aaqiuk culture
- Provinces changed so that not all of them start off with max holdings

Some things of note:

• "True Nords" have access to Prepared Invasions
  • Aaqiuk realms are set to Seniority Succession at the start
  • Aaqiuk cultures may use Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic succession
  • Aaqiuk religious areas get defensive bonuses similar to Finnish and Baltic pagans in vanilla

At the 4256 start, Varrheim is a disorganized morass of small territories and jarldoms. Varrheim is an impoverished realm, unlike Sonendar, and the harsh situation has prevented the formation of large, stable governments as has happened on Sonendar. However, from demographic, linguistic, and cultural evidence, we can speculate that the Nordic peoples of Varrheim were once united enough to mount a full-scale invasion of Sonendar, leaving their mark in the area known as Nordmark north of Lake Sonendar, as well as on the island of Frostknell, where a small Nord population still dwells to this day. It is also possible that the Reapers are distant descendants of the Nords, who settled and intermixed with the Green Country peoples some centuries ago.

Still further to the north dwell the Aaqiuk peoples, who supposedly hail from the deep interior of Varrheim (which they refer to as Kakut-Nuna -- the White Land). Not sharing much with the Nords in terms of culture and lifestyle, the Aaqiuk dwell mostly in the ice floes and glaciers of Varrheim, existing in an uneasy truce with their coastal neighbors. However, as the Nords mostly concern themselves with fighting each other, fishing, and invading Sonendar, the Aaqiuk have been largely left alone. In their myths they tell of an ancient time, when they were once united in a realm called The White, that spanned the roof of the world, ruled by a mighty Ice King (or Ice Queen), who pushed the Yellowbeards back into the sea.

To represent the disorganized state and the depopulated nature of life on the far northern island, I have given all of the provinces just one holding each, so wars should be short and brutal. I'll probably end up changing this at some point! Also, since I only just generated the rulers, some of them might have oddly conflicting traits, like having Imbecile and Genius at once, and almost all of them have no family members other than themselves. This will be addressed at a later date. I also have to get around to incorporating Better Armies, but it could be difficult given the unique retinues and buildings.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

maev posted:

Glad to see so much Byzantine love in this thread (even if its spurred on by love of cataphracti and castration).

:goonsay:

I do agree with whoever said that there should be some sort of "and I've crushed a dozen revolts and killed their leaders, don't gently caress with me" modifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

jpmeyer posted:

Note: when you click on educate child in the diplomacy menu, it only looks at people in your court. If you use the person finder, you can search your entire realm for candidates (maybe one of your dukes has a world class chancellor?) as well as filter the results from the beginning to only include people with the same culture/religion.

holy poo poo this is super useful. I was using that system initially for marriages but forgot about educatin' them kids this way too. Thanks for the tip.

• Locked thread