Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've been following development for this car for like a year now. Really looking like it'll be my next car. I hope the planets align and I'll be able to get a stripped down 2.5 with a manual tranny. Oh god I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Please make a diesel in there.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Really timely for me. Was just starting to look into getting a new car, with the Mazda 3 as my front runner. I think I can wait till September for the 2.5.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
If my speed3 is, in fact, suffering from carbon build up, is there anything, realistically, the dealership can/will do, or just tell me the problem and charge me $90 for the diagnostic? "have a nice day".

I'm not the type of guy to take my engine apart and void my warranty.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Here is some diesel info....

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/mazda3-diesel-under-consideration-for-us-hybrid-not-so-much/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016&ts=1372346543

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Are we certain yet there's no speed planned for the next gen 3's? I'm very seriously considering purchasing one and wanted to see if waiting on a new model would be worth it or not.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Springfield Fatts posted:

Are we certain yet there's no speed planned for the next gen 3's? I'm very seriously considering purchasing one and wanted to see if waiting on a new model would be worth it or not.

From SiB's link, and pretty much the same sentiment from all the articles:

quote:

As for a potential Mazdaspeed3 successor, mum is still the word.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hmm, thanks. I'm aiming for early 2014 purchase period so hopefully by then we'll have more details.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

BiRD BoY posted:

If my speed3 is, in fact, suffering from carbon build up, is there anything, realistically, the dealership can/will do, or just tell me the problem and charge me $90 for the diagnostic? "have a nice day".

Realistically, if they hear you say carbon build up, they would probably charge you for new spark plugs (ehh...), fuel/injector cleaners, and your overdue oil change. (cleaners and oil change is really good after trying to burn the carbon out)
Although I would think a carbon build up service would be under warranty. Ask them!

But it wouldn't hurt doing your city driving, when the engine is warmed up, in a lower then usual gear for a short while or opening it up on a highway on-ramp (nothing crazy like city cruising at 7k rpm or bouncing off the rev limiter :ohdear:) prior to your booked service. See if your engine turns over like it used to on the next cold start.

I do a few high rev shifts in my FC at the end of my daily city commute specifically for this purpose. Pretty sure many others do the same.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Isn't seafoam supposed to help with carbon buildup, or is that just a myth?

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
In carburetor and throttle-body injection engines, yeah. Things got complicated with multipoint & direct injection since the Sea Foam would never see the inside of the intake manifold. DI won't even let the Sea Foam touch the back of valves.

Something like that anyways.

edit : Mazda uses DI now I think, so additive cleaners will miss whatever the fuel doesn't go through.

treizebee fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 28, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's the exact same problem with the Italian tuneups, isn't it? You're not blasting the topside of your valves with a nice aerosol of solvent, so even at higher airflows there's not much crud being washed off.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Picked up an AccessPort for my '12 MS3. Next week hopefully is HPFP internals.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do it so that I can live vicariously through you. I think they're fantastic little cars, I just can't get over the price versus the otherwise very spartan feature set. I test drove one when they came out and was smiling pretty much the whole time.
Time to start living vicariously through me.
First step: Curse Enkei for not building an RPF-1 in 15x6.

It is green. Pictures to come.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BiRD BoY posted:

This is personal opinion, but I wouldn't suggest the "Italian tune up" if your car is running poorly and lacking in performance. Other stuff could be wrong (boost leak?) and you might be doing more damage. The long crank time on warm restarts might be due to fuel vaporization near the high pressure pump since it's right on the engine on DI engines and after a hot soak it probably heats up and boils the fuel. Then it would take a few seconds to get the fuel pressurized again and into the cylinders. Just a guess there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Oh my god, Mazdas and Subarus living together!

Aww, it is so cute.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'd be into it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/28/next-mazdaspeed3-could-look-this-good/

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Larrymer posted:

This is personal opinion, but I wouldn't suggest the "Italian tune up" if your car is running poorly and lacking in performance. Other stuff could be wrong (boost leak?) and you might be doing more damage. The long crank time on warm restarts might be due to fuel vaporization near the high pressure pump since it's right on the engine on DI engines and after a hot soak it probably heats up and boils the fuel. Then it would take a few seconds to get the fuel pressurized again and into the cylinders. Just a guess there.

Yeah, I was too scared to try it. Took it in for an oil change, told them about the power loss, they did a service of some kind (for carbon build up), I complained about the price and they hooked me up a little. Power is restored and all is well. The long crank couldn't be reproduced at the dealership again, so they did nothing. Fine, it hasn't happened in the 15 or so starts since I left. Whatever.

Painted my calipers red today. Where wasn't I supposed to get paint? Everything seems to work well, and they look killer. Will post a pic when home.

Also:

Holy gently caress, I'd drive that poo poo!

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
Here are the things I did.

Where should I not have painted? Am I going to die?

This looked nice, I thought.

But then...

gently caress! I made a horrible error and had to restart one on the 3rd coat.

9 hours, 5 coats of black, and 2 of gold metalizer later.

I think I want another gold coat for more gold-ness.

Opinions?

Related: Not worth letting this poo poo touch your tires, I'm going to do playing cards if I add another gold coat. I've got some scrubbing to do.

BiRD BoY fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 30, 2013

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

BiRD BoY posted:

Here are the things I did. Opinions?

While the gold tint ins't exactly my style, don't listen to me because I'm one of those MATTE BLACK MATTE BLACK MURDER IT OUT losers. Digging the red calipers, it totally compliments the style of the car.

Uggghh that render on the "next" Speed3 looks good. Don't know if it's wait till 2016 good though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BiRD BoY posted:

That looks pretty good. I think I'll steal that colour when I go to get my wheels repainted eventually.

Also, since when do people in Toronto have recently-administered Alberta plates? :v:

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That looks pretty good. I think I'll steal that colour when I go to get my wheels repainted eventually.

Also, since when do people in Toronto have recently-administered Alberta plates? :v:

I really love this colour in the sun. I'm going to get into an collision, trying to catch my reflection in store windows.

Hmm. Seems I haven't updated in a long rear end time. I've lived in Alberta for almost 10 years.

Springfield Fatts posted:

While the gold tint ins't exactly my style, don't listen to me because I'm one of those MATTE BLACK MATTE BLACK MURDER IT OUT losers. Digging the red calipers, it totally compliments the style of the car.

Uggghh that render on the "next" Speed3 looks good. Don't know if it's wait till 2016 good though.

2016? Why, that's exactly when my warranty expires. Coincidence?

BiRD BoY fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 1, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BiRD BoY posted:

I think I want another gold coat for more gold-ness.

This looks great. I wanted to do this to my wheels since I wasn't able to find a pair of gold/bronze RPF1s. How many cans of black and metalizer did you need? I want bronze RPF1s...

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

MetaJew posted:

This looks great. I wanted to do this to my wheels since I wasn't able to find a pair of gold/bronze RPF1s. How many cans of black and metalizer did you need? I want bronze RPF1s...

I used 3 cans of black (with some left in each, but the spray really seemed to weaken at around 30% remaining) which got me 5 solid coats, and 1/2 of gold, for 2 coats. I have a 4th untouched can of black and wish I had used it. Might as well have gone crazy at the time. 7 coats isn't bad though.

BiRD BoY fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 1, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just bought a... 2003 mazda.... tribute. :laffo: Picking it up on Saturday. This car is supposed to be cheap, reliable, and easy to drive long ways full of stuff. It sure is peppy for an suv, I must say. It's got nice clean V6. The steering is top notch too. Very tight, no dead zone. I think the ladies are going to like it a lot.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 4, 2013

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ethanol posted:

I just bought a... 2003 mazda.... tribute. :laffo: Picking it up on Saturday. This car is supposed to be cheap, reliable, and easy to drive long ways full of stuff. It sure is peppy for an suv, I must say. It's got nice clean V6. The steering is top notch too. Very tight, no dead zone. I think the ladies are going to like it a lot.

Congrats on your Ford Escape. Beware the transmission.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Congrats on your Ford Escape. Beware the transmission.

Well, I just looked up that tranny. That is a deal breaker. We owned this transmission before, the CD4E. It was endless trouble. I'll lose $100 but there's no way I'm buying that tranny again.

Any problems with 2003-2006 mazda 3s or 6s?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ethanol posted:

I can't speak for the 6, but the only guaranteed issue with those 3s was a bad OEM engine mount that's most likely been replaced by now in any still on the road. They're also prone to thermostats breaking too, I think. I've not heard of any major mechanical complaints about the 3 from those years.

I still love my 2006 3 with ~78,000 miles on it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

ethanol posted:

The blower motor is in a hard to access location inside the dash so shops want 7-8 hours of work to replace it. If you hear a clicking or whirring when you have the blower on you might want to consider that. You can do it yourself for $75 or so its just a pain to get to and the official method involves pulling half the dash, the brake pedal, and the battery box so you can move the brake booster. After looking at the electrical connector I refuse to believe there is any possible method of getting it off without breaking it. Its been done twice on my 2008 in 45K miles and its the same part. Otherwise a great car.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Just got a great deal on a CPO 2012 Mazda 3 GTi with a tech package. Its so pretty :allears:.

Is there anything I need to be aware of for that year/trim?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

Well, I just looked up that tranny. That is a deal breaker. We owned this transmission before, the CD4E. It was endless trouble. I'll lose $100 but there's no way I'm buying that tranny again.

Remembering as an owner rather than someone who worked on them for a living... I see a lot of the 3s with rear quarter panel rust, but that's because I look for it now that I know it happens. The paint is kind of lousy & chips easy in general. The AC can be pretty weak, but I believe that's by design rather than an oops. A bunch of them got recalled to put a plate in the left-side door, thieves caught on to a trick where you can dent part of that door in and it will unlock. I'm trying to think of any other big problems mine had and I'm drawing a blank.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

ethanol posted:

My 2004 6i (4-cyl) has been a great car the last 3 years and 40,000mi. Currently just under 100k and the only non-regular maintenance items I've had to replace were a PCV valve and a CV axle. 32mpg highway, a blast to drive with an aftermarket rear swaybar, and comfy seating for 4 or 5. I beat the hell out of it, too. If it had another breaking point, I'd have found it by now.

e: check for rust on the shock towers. Can be an issue in early northern cars.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Come on diesel Mazda5. What that thing needs more than anything else is torque.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I went to a mazda dealer to look at a 2006 mazda 3 hatch. It drove nice and fast, but just too small, and it had some noises/rust.

So bought the 2004 CR-V that was sitting next to it.. boring, but I'm happy.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 5, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I still love my 2006 3 with ~78,000 miles on it.
It figures that the check engine light would come on right after I post this.

Stupid cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I must be missing something, how can this car be $7300?

http://www.pendletonpikeauto.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=193524488

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Well, 155K is a start

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Well, 155K is a start

MS6s with high mileage still command 10K plus.

I may have just shot them an email making an offer. I could swap the bumper, exhaust and hood onto mine and then keep the 06 as a DD.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

For having miles that high the interior and exterior seem really straight. Is it a clean title? I wonder how the motor mounts/diff mounts/clutch/transmission are. It does seem like a really good deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

For having miles that high the interior and exterior seem really straight. Is it a clean title? I wonder how the motor mounts/diff mounts/clutch/transmission are. It does seem like a really good deal

VIN checks out, no accidents. It's a single owner vehicle.