Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why isn't Samurai in Japanese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Flaskraven posted:

I feel like I've seen that trailer forever. Perhaps because it's so boring. I really hate it, even though Owen Wilson's cool.

Anyway, I went looking in my old photoshop folder and found a poster I made for Taxi Driver. I'm actually pretty pleased with it. There are plenty of things I would change if I still had the .psd, like font and adding actor names. But yeah, have a fan poster of a great movie I guess.

I'd probably shrink the checkered border down to only three rows. Feels like it overwhelms the composition.

Still pretty solid though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Flaskraven posted:

I feel like I've seen that trailer forever. Perhaps because it's so boring. I really hate it, even though Owen Wilson's cool.

Anyway, I went looking in my old photoshop folder and found a poster I made for Taxi Driver. I'm actually pretty pleased with it. There are plenty of things I would change if I still had the .psd, like font and adding actor names. But yeah, have a fan poster of a great movie I guess.

That looks like it should be the design for the pan & scan VHS box cover.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Mister Chief posted:

Why isn't Samurai in Japanese?

Writing things in English excites the hell out of Japanese people, mostly because they adore American culture. People are gonna read the poster and think "oh poo poo that English text says SAMURAI! I have to see this".
Basically why people get tattoos in foreign languages: It's foreign and exciting!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ruddiger posted:

That looks like it should be the design for the pan & scan VHS box cover.

Only if the soundtrack was completely replaced with Ska music.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Kikka posted:

Writing things in English excites the hell out of Japanese people, mostly because they adore American culture. People are gonna read the poster and think "oh poo poo that English text says SAMURAI! I have to see this".
Basically why people get tattoos in foreign languages: It's foreign and exciting!

Are you sure you don't mean they adore English culture? I've heard of Anglophilia, but I've never heard of anyone outside the US who liked American culture (the joke being that we have none :( ).

Wait... what day is it?! OH SHI-

Well time to watch Will Smith extend a friendly greeting to some extraterrestrials :911:.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FutonForensic posted:

Are you sure you don't mean they adore English culture? I've heard of Anglophilia, but I've never heard of anyone outside the US who liked American culture (the joke being that we have none :( ).

Nope, it's pretty commonly known that Japan is pretty much super into anything and everything American. It's why you still see people over there dressing like super exaggerated versions of 1950's greasers and the like.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FutonForensic posted:

American cultural hegemony around the world has been one of the most powerful influencing forces in the 20th century.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FutonForensic posted:

Yes it is very hard to find anyone outside America who watches American movies and tv shows.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Yes it is very hard to find anyone outside America who watches American movies and tv shows.

they also hate our music and bluejeans

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

FutonForensic posted:

Well time to watch Will Smith extend a friendly greeting to some extraterrestrials :911:.

The original Red Dawn is so good. The remake has them pretty much win. gently caress that remake so hard.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

This number of words which need to be cut from this mouthful of a tagline is at least six.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

qntm posted:

This number of words which need to be cut from this mouthful of a tagline is at least six.
It looks okay to me. What would you cut it to? "We are not alone"?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It's clunky as gently caress, anything would be better.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Flaskraven posted:

I would maybe put an undermask on the title or do something to up the contrast. Currently, it blends too much into the yellow. And like Sockser said, reduce the border some. Otherwise, it looks like a decent poster for an one-time engagement or special showing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Wendell posted:

It's clunky as gently caress, anything would be better.

I disagree, it makes your eyes read the text and then realize how huge the UFO is when your eyes scroll down.

It probably suffers from extreme perspective issues though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

American cultural hegemony around the world has been one of the most powerful influencing forces in the 20th century.
To put this into numbers, relevant to this thread, the percentages of American/European/Danish movies shown on public channels in Denmark 2008. Pretty sure it skews significantly more American for the paid channels, in all aspects of programming, outside a few channels perhaps.

DR1:

USA: 66 %
Europe: 21 %
Denmark: 12 %

DR2:

USA: 65 %
Europe: 23 %
Denmark: 4 %

TV 2:

USA: 75 %
Europe: 16 %
Denmark: 4 %

How well this matches other places I don't know, but it gives a sense of American cultural hegemony.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Re: ID4 poster...

Not only that, but as your eyes go downward, and see the opening over the city, you immediately grasp that these aliens aren't friendly. Had you seen nothing promoting it, you immediately got the gist of the film.
The poster is, interestingly enough, quite minimalistic in design.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 4, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Flaskraven posted:

I keep thinking I am looking at an image that has a transparency layer under an image that is still being edited, with a boarder to follow soon.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vegetable posted:

It looks okay to me. What would you cut it to? "We are not alone"?

How about get rid of it entirely? A big rear end spaceship is looming over New York, what else do you need?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Peanut President posted:

How about get rid of it entirely? A big rear end spaceship is looming over New York, what else do you need?

I dunno, the tag line plays nicely as a rebuke to the 90s UFO conspiracy trend.

"Are we alone in the universe? No. Here's a big loving flying saucer."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It also plays up the irony that the aliens aren't here for peace. The statement the tagline is based off of tends to be one of hopeful and optimistic implications.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The original Red Dawn is so good. The remake has them pretty much win. gently caress that remake so hard.

Remake? What remake?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Byzantine posted:

Remake? What remake?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

Remake? What remake?

Oh my, you don't know how much of a treat you missed.

Just Google red dawn 2012.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I think he's just pulling the old, "boy, I wish they had made a sequel to The Matrix!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Didn't this movie only actually get released because Chris Hemsworth became something of a big name?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DetoxP posted:

I think he's just pulling the old, "boy, I wish they had made a sequel to The Matrix!"

That would be nice, but I doubt it would hold up against the original.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't this movie only actually get released because Chris Hemsworth became something of a big name?

No, it only got released because they "found" a way to not offend potential Chinese audiences.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although it was filmed before he and Hutcherson got big. It sat around a couple of years because of the whole MGM thing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

Well MGM was going through financial troubles but the bigger issue was the fact they wanted Chinese money and the movie's entire story was built around China invading due to defaulting on a loan. So they spent money changing the plot and taking out China and it made sure the movie made even less sense. While it wouldn't have saved the film, being a message about how homeland security is more important than overseas war would have at least given the movie a message. They still try to deliver that message but it really fails with the re-writes.

The funny thing is that Chinese audiences were already offended so like gently caress was anyone gonna see the movie when they knew what it was really supposed to be about.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mr. Flunchy posted:

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I've never really been convinced to go see a movie just by a poster. Then I saw this in the subway...

Oh god.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

If a gorilla can play the drums, they can play baseball.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I suppose in movie world Chimpanzee pitch for minor league...

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

WebDog posted:

I suppose in movie world Chimpanzee pitch for minor league...

You'd think a levitating chimp could be put to better use than playing baseball.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Robot name that rules: Maximillian

Related, but more on topic... I think this is the only poster that doesn't have the swirly-type thing going on that all the other versions have.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How about some Predator posters?

Pretty cool. Shows Arnold in a jungle with a huge gun, so you know it's probably a cool action movie. But the ghost-ish thing on the right lets you know something's amiss...

Oh no, even with his big gun Arnold is the hunted one!

On to the sequel...

Woah, the Predator's back? And he's dominated the city, he's claiming victory and the colors in the background are the same colors used for his thermal-vision, so he's right at home. Who can stop him? No Arnold mentioned on the poster...

Still no human name featured prominently, though you can read the fine print to see who's in it. Predator towers over the camera to look more imposing. Decent tagline, except the "this time..." part, but it does let you know the fight has come out of the deep jungle and is a lot closer to us, raising the stakes.

Tagline reworked a little, more background shown to show he's in a city, rather than telling us like in the last poster. The clock featured must mean he's on a timeline (or we're on a deadline).

Pretty good posters so far, even if P2 didn't live up to 1.

Re-colored version of an earlier poster, looks pretty cool. What's this for, just a combo-dvd of the first 2 movies or something?

Now a decade later...

Not bad. The alien is above the Predator, but he has his claws up to retaliate. The poster is showing the most recognizable elements of each monster, hence the 2 not facing each other (the dreads look sweet). I never saw the movie though.

This is a sweet poster. Each monster fighting for control of the Earth, nice tagline callback to Alien.

Uh oh, we're being hunted again like in that second original Predator poster. The colors were changed on the guns and stuff though to stand out more to our eyes, rather than being pure thermal vision (inverted) like the Predator sees. Decent poster.

Shows our main character getting dirty like Arnold, but there are multiple targets on him, uh oh! Dumb tagline though.

So a pretty good series, poster-wise at least.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

effectual posted:

Shows our main character getting dirty like Arnold, but there are multiple targets on him, uh oh! Dumb tagline though.

So a pretty good series, poster-wise at least.

I really loved the trailer for this because one of the clips they show is of Adrien Brody standing there and about 4 or 5 of the red dot clusters appear all over his torso simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

effectual posted:

Not bad. The alien is above the Predator, but he has his claws up to retaliate. The poster is showing the most recognizable elements of each monster, hence the 2 not facing each other (the dreads look sweet). I never saw the movie though.

Looks like it is trying to infer a scene from Alien 3 as well:

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 5, 2013