Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TheLawinator posted:

So, what game do we play with all of these? It wouldn't be hard to stat em up in Song of Blades and Heroes, but are there any other skirmish games that can work with this kinda variety?

I've converted a bunch of mine over to Malifaux mini proxies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheLawinator posted:

So, what game do we play with all of these? It wouldn't be hard to stat em up in Song of Blades and Heroes, but are there any other skirmish games that can work with this kinda variety?

Game? Play? :confused:

And heaven forbid you actually paint any of them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

I just started using the boiling water technique to straighten out my bones. It works surprisingly well.
I hear ya, arthritis is a bitch :(

gnome7 posted:

I've converted a bunch of mine over to Malifaux mini proxies.
Especially the gunmen, but the weird dancing zombie also makes for a good Essence of Power, especially since the original mini looks like crap.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Iris of Ether posted:

Quick search on Adafruit and Sparkfun yielded this. I'm not sure it's going to be possible to get much smaller than this with a coin cell battery. :D

Yeah, that's the one I've been eyeing the most, although I've seen some that don't actually go over the battery and just wrap around the sides, saving a precious little bit of vertical space (i.e. absolutely no thicker at all than the battery itself.) Obviously less secure of a grip, so I'll probably go with one like what you linked, and just do it with slightly thicker bases.

Psychic Fetus
Nov 5, 2009
Is this the point where this goes from the anticipation thread/oh wait my poo poo's here thread and moves on up to the look what I'm doing with my mini loot thread! IE painting them/tips and tricks... Oaths... buy/sell/trades...

JUST SAYING...

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

I'm trying to get a few people into trying a Freeblades campaign with all of these. I demo'd the game at Origins and it was a fun fantasy skirmish, and while their are army lists most of them boil to variations of human fire wizard or crossbow wielder, etc

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Psychic Fetus posted:

Is this the point where this goes from the anticipation thread/oh wait my poo poo's here thread and moves on up to the look what I'm doing with my mini loot thread! IE painting them/tips and tricks... Oaths... buy/sell/trades...

JUST SAYING...

I sorted them and packed them away in a box because I'm moving in a month :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've got some reaper black wash. Anyone tried applying it directly to bones without any paint underneath at all? I know watered down paints on bones tends to not go well, but I'm curious if straight wash will do any better.

What I want is to get some black wash down in the creases of some of the green translucent ghostly types so when I led them up, the high points (bones and such) glow more than the recesses.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Psychic Fetus posted:

JUST SAYING...

More likely we should all just move over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now that many of us have our stuff, can this be the reaper trading thread? It makes no sense to start a new thread when its on topic here.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I want any and all red translucent flaming sphere minis people want to unload. :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bad Munki posted:

I've got some reaper black wash. Anyone tried applying it directly to bones without any paint underneath at all? I know watered down paints on bones tends to not go well, but I'm curious if straight wash will do any better.

What I want is to get some black wash down in the creases of some of the green translucent ghostly types so when I led them up, the high points (bones and such) glow more than the recesses.

No, the reaper black wash doesn't stick to unprimed minis, or at least not to the unprimed parts of my minis.
For the transparent minis, I got an brush on acrylic clearcoat to put down first, my washes seem to stick to that just fine.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bad Munki posted:

I did a test coat, unthinned, on the bottom of one of my miniatures, and it seems alright. Kind of splotchy on the flat parts, but it seems to hold fast in the crevasses okay. Maybe repeat the experiment for yourself, and see if you're okay with the results?

Edit: This was their black INK, sorry.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bucnasti posted:

No, the reaper black wash doesn't stick to unprimed minis, or at least not to the unprimed parts of my minis.
For the transparent minis, I got an brush on acrylic clearcoat to put down first, my washes seem to stick to that just fine.
Huh. Because I had a duplicate of this one green translucent one (the skeletons climbing out of the ground in a cloud of wispy smoke) so I just decided to see what'd happen between my previous post and now. The wash was undiluted, and seems to stick just fine and flow well. This was after giving the mini a good washing off with dish soap and a toothbrush and then drying it thoroughly, mind you. this was with 09255 Black Wash.

That's not to say the result was what I necessarily wanted, but the application went surprisingly well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

TheLawinator posted:

I am planning to do a homebrew version of Warhammer Quest. With a gazillion different encounters.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm working on a ruleset importing the Infinity rules to a fantasy setting with a focus on melee maneuvers.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Huh. Because I had a duplicate of this one green translucent one (the skeletons climbing out of the ground in a cloud of wispy smoke) so I just decided to see what'd happen between my previous post and now. The wash was undiluted, and seems to stick just fine and flow well. This was after giving the mini a good washing off with dish soap and a toothbrush and then drying it thoroughly, mind you. this was with 09255 Black Wash.

That's not to say the result was what I necessarily wanted, but the application went surprisingly well.

To be clear I haven't tested the wash on the transparent minis, I assumed they would react the same as the white ones.
On the white minis, after priming them white I washed them with Reaper Black Wash, the undersides and crevasse that didn't receive any primer didn't take the wash well.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

TheLawinator posted:

My suggestions:
Aetherverse
No Quarter (or No Limits)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

lilljonas posted:

I am planning to do a homebrew version of Warhammer Quest. With a gazillion different encounters.
That's what I was going to do. Then I got a copy of WH Quest...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheLawinator posted:

Did you remember to download the free PRG they bundled in?

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's what I was going to do. Then I got a copy of WH Quest...

The back of the WHQ Roleplay/campaign rulebook has a bestiary full of stuff the box doesn't include minis for.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Diosamblet posted:

The back of the WHQ Roleplay/campaign rulebook has a bestiary full of stuff the box doesn't include minis for.

Its a huge list.. I love that game :allears:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moths posted:

Did you remember to download the free PRG they bundled in?

what, where? I threw out all the packaging, did I miss something?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

what, where? I threw out all the packaging, did I miss something?
Yes, a PDF with an RPG. Look in your KS emails for a link.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Yay, my bones arrived.

Boo, Kaladrax is all kinds of hosed up. Does anyone have a picture of his un-assembled right wing? I can't find a good picture on the internet to guide my attempts to reshape it. If I attach it so it fits in the hole, the arm goes straight up and over to the other side. I'll put up some pictures later if that makes no sense.

Most of the models need to be reshaped quite a bit, but Kaladrax is the only one (so far) that I don't know if I can save.

Also I got some mystery lady with a spear.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 9, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got my Bones today. I was woken up by the UPS guy knocking at the door, went down, grabbed both boxes, brought them upstairs, turned on the computer, and was smacked in the face that Ryan Davis died. Suddenly my excitement from finally getting these stupid models fizzled away into nothing. What a loving bummer of a day.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

drgnvale posted:

That's probably Hyrekia, who was part of the Kaladrax add-on.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PublicOpinion posted:

Huh, I'm going to have to check to see if we got one of those. I didn't know Kaladrax included an extra mini. For the record, it's not included in the Kaladrax box but in with the rest of the minis, apparently.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 9, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zurai posted:

Huh, I'm going to have to check to see if we got one of those. I didn't know Kaladrax included an extra mini. For the record, it's not included in the Kaladrax box but in with the rest of the minis, apparently.

Yeah, that is where mine was too. Just loose, bagged, like the rest of the addons, not in Kal's box.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

PublicOpinion posted:

Mystery solved!

It's I'm about 20% of the way through indexing my vampire set. I got into the kickstarter kind of early and I didn't pay much attention to the stuff that got added to the vampire set (I paid a lot of attention to the add-ons though; so many loving dragons on my desk what was I thinking) and I'm floored by how much plastic I will be painting for the next 5 years. At this point I don't care if I'm missing anything, I don't have the space for more minis.

Edit: I take that back; I'm missing that male cleric with the sweet hammer (http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/03427/latest/03427). It's a miracle that it's all that's missing.

By the way, here's some pictures of my hosed up Kaladrax wing:

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 9, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Yay, my bones arrived.

Boo, Kaladrax is all kinds of hosed up. Does anyone have a picture of his un-assembled right wing? I can't find a good picture on the internet to guide my attempts to reshape it. If I attach it so it fits in the hole, the arm goes straight up and over to the other side. I'll put up some pictures later if that makes no sense.

Most of the models need to be reshaped quite a bit, but Kaladrax is the only one (so far) that I don't know if I can save.

Try putting it in hot water and seeing if it sorts itself out. It's really like magic, you drop a bent mini in the pot and it slowly unbends itself.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PublicOpinion posted:

Ooh, thanks for this info. I was wondering what that was about.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Bucnasti posted:

Try putting it in hot water and seeing if it sorts itself out. It's really like magic, you drop a bent mini in the pot and it slowly unbends itself.

Wow. Uh, that was pretty amazing. It's still not perfect, but holy poo poo it's way better now. And the other minis I dropped in straightened out in a couple of seconds. This is some kind of miracle plastic.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 9, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Now I'm imagining some way to sell figures that are all crumpled up into an unrecognizable mass and you have to put them in hot water to figure out what you got, like a surprise! :neckbeard:

I think it's because I had these things when I was a kid that were similar, except they were made of sponge and compressed into these water-soluble capsules.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Wow. Uh, that was pretty amazing. It's still not perfect, but holy poo poo it's way better now. And the other minis I dropped in straightened out in a couple of seconds. This is some kind of miracle plastic.

If it still needs some reshaping what you can do is drop it in the hot water until its soft, hold it in the position you want it and dip it in ice water. The plastic will go rigid in your hands in the shape you hold it in.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

If it still needs some reshaping what you can do is drop it in the hot water until its soft, hold it in the position you want it and dip it in ice water. The plastic will go rigid in your hands in the shape you hold it in.

I did my mans-boiling last night and it really is magic. Things like the zombies or goblins only took about 10 seconds in boiling water to spring back into shape, ditto bent swords and other weapons. My owlbear (among others) was a little too unbalanced to stand and that took more like 20 seconds to soften, and did need to be held in place when dipped in the ice water. I recommend tongs and non-disposable gloves (like for gardening) because hey, boiling water. Other than the hassle of getting those things, though, it was incredibly simple and effective at restoring, well, anything other than missing or broken things (I had an ogre missing an arm and one of my familiars was missing a chunk).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JerryLee posted:

Now I'm imagining some way to sell figures that are all crumpled up into an unrecognizable mass and you have to put them in hot water to figure out what you got, like a surprise! :neckbeard:

I think it's because I had these things when I was a kid that were similar, except they were made of sponge and compressed into these water-soluble capsules.

Not exactly what you described, but it looks like the new "stick it in water to reveal its mysteries" thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-q5Y0Zgun4

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
4100 orders left and I still haven't received my shipping notice :(

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
You're not alone! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, that is where mine was too. Just loose, bagged, like the rest of the addons, not in Kal's box.

Mine was taped (along with the little reaper guy) to a Reaper advertisement insert.

• Locked thread