Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

crm posted:

Yeah this pretty much kills the game for me. Sigh.
It's fairly easy to correct if you really want to; just go through landed_titles.txt and remove the allow = { culture = xian } bit for whatever title you want to create. It shouldn't even mess up a game-in-progress. If you want to go whole hog, I think it would be:
code:
	allow = {
		OR = {
			culture = xian
			k_xia = { has_holder = yes }
		}
	}	
Where xian and k_xia are the appropriate culture/title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Re: Sonendar

I can't wait for you to create a minimap so I can finally play that wonderful looking mod :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Beamed posted:

Re: Sonendar

I can't wait for you to create a minimap so I can finally play that wonderful looking mod :allears:

:woop:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

crm posted:

Yeah this pretty much kills the game for me. Sigh.
Why? It shouldn't. Usurp and create are the same thing, just only differing in if somebody else currently has the title or not.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Heavy infantry retinue is really powerful. Could you show us the stats of your commanders? And did the enemy attack you in defensible terrain and/or crossed a river or strait?

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Is there some way of determining what the traditional capital of kingdoms are? Some of the kingdoms on various wikis have them listed, but I'm at a loss as to what Persia's is in particular, and it'd be nice to be able to work it out in the future.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Konig posted:

Is there some way of determining what the traditional capital of kingdoms are? Some of the kingdoms on various wikis have them listed, but I'm at a loss as to what Persia's is in particular, and it'd be nice to be able to work it out in the future.

Landed_titles file in the game folder. Persia's is Esfahan, which is a pretty good Duchy.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Why? It shouldn't. Usurp and create are the same thing, just only differing in if somebody else currently has the title or not.

I understand why it's treated the same, I just don't like the rule all together. I've already got ~20 kings under me, having infinite numbers of duchies as well makes empire management dang near impossible.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

crm posted:

I understand why it's treated the same, I just don't like the rule all together. I've already got ~20 kings under me, having infinite numbers of duchies as well makes empire management dang near impossible.

Revoke and destroy them. I usually get my revoke on when my ruler is old and everyone loves him or after a rebellion.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...What on earth IS Sodenar anyway? A book series, a TV show, your own personal fiction?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

CapnAndy posted:

So I'm nearly 1000 posts behind, and gently caress that, not reading through them. Can everyone who's doing part of the LP just give me an update on how you're doing, progress-wise? (Fair's fair: I myself have finished one update.)

Also, does someone want to volunteer to write the basic "here are all the terms, this is what they mean, this is the interface, here's what each button does" stuff? Because I really really don't want to do it.

I've got a couple updates worth of material on Fairhair, and I just need to crop the screenshots. If you guys are comfortable waiting another week, I can deal with the nitty-gritty stuff too, and indeed I'd be more than happy to since Update 2 is literally "pres butan subjugate mans, rinse and repeat now you're Norway yayyy." So yes, it could definitely use some more flesh on its bones, especially in the early stages.

poo poo, I'll even put together the base thread if you guys want. I could probably have something up on Thursday with an update or two on Friday or Saturday.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bloodly posted:

...What on earth IS Sodenar anyway? A book series, a TV show, your own personal fiction?

... a mod for CK2.

Seriously, it's not based on anything. One day I started drawing a custom map for CK2 and I made it all up as I went along.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

crm posted:

Just mod out the culture requirements in landedtitles, or do what ck2+ does and add an OR statement stating that the requirements are only if it is titular

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Under what circumstances do high-level titles just vanish without a notice? It's happened to me twice now.

First time, the jerk king of France made me a vassal of the duke of Champagne, whose personal holdings consisted entirely of the barony of Meaux (minor holding in Paris). I figured I could take him (being his only vassal with five counties) and started a war for independence. Suddenly I notice the war icon near the bottom is gone, I'm a direct vassal of the king of France, Champagne has ceased to exist, and the former duke of Champagne is now alive but landless, his barony having passed on to some other dude. I wasn't complaining because now I could form Champagne and finally be a Duke, but any idea why this would happen?

Second time, I thought I had hit the jackpot marrying off my son to the Queen of Hungary. Some muslim dude was carrying out a holy war on her, but suddenly the kingdom of Hungary was just gone. The former Queen is still landed, and the kingdom wasn't usurped - that part of the world is a clusterfuck of independent dukes and counts now. Same question here, what happened?

E:

Allyn posted:

You can't have a duchy without some landed holdings. Sounds like King of France revoked his barony, and as it was his last holding it automatically destroyed the duchy.

I was thinking that too, but why would he pass it on to some other dude almost instantly? The AI is weird I guess. Thanks.

Darth Various fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 6, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Darth Various posted:

Under what circumstances do high-level titles just vanish without a notice? It's happened to me twice now.

First time, the jerk king of France made me a vassal of the duke of Champagne, whose personal holdings consisted entirely of the barony of Meaux (minor holding in Paris). I figured I could take him (being his only vassal with five counties) and started a war for independence. Suddenly I notice the war icon near the bottom is gone, I'm a direct vassal of the king of France, Champagne has ceased to exist, and the former duke of Champagne is now alive but landless, his barony having passed on to some other dude. I wasn't complaining because now I could form Champagne and finally be a Duke, but any idea why this would happen?

You can't have a duchy without some landed holdings. Sounds like King of France revoked his barony, and as it was his last holding it automatically destroyed the duchy.

quote:

Second time, I thought I had hit the jackpot marrying off my son to the Queen of Hungary. Some muslim dude was carrying out a holy war on her, but suddenly the kingdom of Hungary was just gone. The former Queen is still landed, and the kingdom wasn't usurped - that part of the world is a clusterfuck of independent dukes and counts now. Same question here, what happened?

No idea on this one, can't think of any good reason why off the top of my head...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Will all the peasant revolts ever end? Will the cultures eventually assimilate into my empire so people stop trying to restore the Kingdom of Italy? Having to send an army halfway across the world to deal with them is a chore but not a challenge.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Running an empire often puts the chore in challenge. Primarily the reason why I like to keep my Byzantine Empire Mediterranean focused to have access to all of its provinces via the much faster route of sea travel. If you want an empire that spans the known world then be ready to have to continually put down folk who aren't too happy with paying taxes for strange Norse (or whatever culture you are) buildings being built in a far away land.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

beefart posted:

I've got a couple updates worth of material on Fairhair, and I just need to crop the screenshots. If you guys are comfortable waiting another week, I can deal with the nitty-gritty stuff too, and indeed I'd be more than happy to since Update 2 is literally "pres butan subjugate mans, rinse and repeat now you're Norway yayyy." So yes, it could definitely use some more flesh on its bones, especially in the early stages.

poo poo, I'll even put together the base thread if you guys want. I could probably have something up on Thursday with an update or two on Friday or Saturday.
Go nuts mang.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

maev posted:

Running an empire often puts the chore in challenge. Primarily the reason why I like to keep my Byzantine Empire Mediterranean focused to have access to all of its provinces via the much faster route of sea travel. If you want an empire that spans the known world then be ready to have to continually put down folk who aren't too happy with paying taxes for strange Norse (or whatever culture you are) buildings being built in a far away land.

Alternately, give away kingdom titles and let the kings handle the upstart peasants for you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zurai posted:

Alternately, give away kingdom titles and let the kings handle the upstart peasants for you.

Yeah, giving out Kingdom titles and trying to keep a leader with high diplomacy is the way to go for empires. Cuts down micro-management for armies a ton as well.
Hell, your underlings will even begin expanding for you, so you can just kick back and wait for the inevitable Aztec invasion.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Torrannor posted:

Heavy infantry retinue is really powerful. Could you show us the stats of your commanders? And did the enemy attack you in defensible terrain and/or crossed a river or strait?

He was on the offense.

EDIT:

:woop::woop:

Are you planning to post it on the official forums as well? It may attract a wider audience there too!

Beamed fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 6, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I seem to have a strain of good breeding going on so handing out 30 Kingdom titles that I have kept uncreated might be the way to go. My current Emperor had like 26 diplomacy before modifiers, my heir is a genius with all positive traits not a single negative grey eminence 31 diplomacy +10 every other stat and is married to a genius. He has yet to have a son however which is kinda worrying.

My retinue is broken up into 3 separate parts of 20,000 cataphracts each and kept in a different part of the empire. 60,000 men it too big to keep stationed anywhere. A problem I am finding is having my technology spread far enough. Even using my councilors to spread it it goes incredibly slow. So in Constantinople in the year 1100 I have a bunch of techs at 6-8 yet anywhere else on the map is like 2-3. I want to try to get city tech spread out so I can construct a bunch of universities for all my mayor vassals. Then do the same for clergy with their tech building. Pulling in an extra 3 economic tech points a month just from those universities is pretty nice so far.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Beamed posted:

:woop::woop:

Are you planning to post it on the official forums as well? It may attract a wider audience there too!

I have posted it on the official forums! It definitely seems to have had some appeal there as well. :)

crm
Oct 24, 2004

chunkles posted:

Revoke and destroy them. I usually get my revoke on when my ruler is old and everyone loves him or after a rebellion.

I'm wanting to put a king between me and the dukes, the game just doesn't allow you to create "Christian" kingdoms if you're pagan.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

crm posted:

I'm wanting to put a king between me and the dukes, the game just doesn't allow you to create "Christian" kingdoms if you're pagan.

If it bothers you, go to your landed titles under the common folder and open the landed titles file. Find the kingdom you're looking for- they're listed under k_whatever (e.g., k_armenia).

Now look for this:

# Creation/usurpation trigger
allow = {
religion_group = christian
}

Delete that, and you can make the title without being Christian. I just tested it using a Zoroaster Byzantine emperor to make Armenia, and it worked.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Kagon posted:

If it bothers you, go to your landed titles under the common folder and open the landed titles file. Find the kingdom you're looking for- they're listed under k_whatever (e.g., k_armenia).

Now look for this:

# Creation/usurpation trigger
allow = {
}

Delete that, and you can make the title without being Christian. I just tested it using a Zoroaster Byzantine emperor to make Armenia, and it worked.

I guess I could do that with everything I suppose.

My map currently looks like this

I really don't have to go edit files every stinking time.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Rather than taking out the creation requirements entirely, the way I'd do it is put in an alternate requirement of completely controlling the kingdom in question. I.e., for the one below, you'd have

code:
allow = {
	OR = {
		completely_controls = k_armenia
	}
}
So you could do it with the normal thing if you're a christian, or if you're not, you can still create it if you have 100% of the counties and baronies and such.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Rather than taking out the creation requirements entirely, the way I'd do it is put in an alternate requirement of completely controlling the kingdom in question. I.e., for the one below, you'd have

code:
allow = {
	OR = {
	}
}
So you could do it with the normal thing if you're a christian, or if you're not, you can still create it if you have 100% of the counties and baronies and such.

the other option I've seen is changing yourself to Christian via console, create kingdom, switch back to previous one

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Strudel Man posted:

code:
allow = {
	OR = {
	}
}

I'm sure I read earlier in the thread that someone made a mod which adds this to every kingdom/empire in the game... was it you? Well, whoever it was: would you mind uploading it? I'd quite like to use it :shobon:

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Allyn posted:

I'm sure I read earlier in the thread that someone made a mod which adds this to every kingdom/empire in the game... was it you? Well, whoever it was: would you mind uploading it? I'd quite like to use it :shobon:

yes, that would be the greatest mod ever

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Torrannor posted:

It's my understanding that heavy infantry doesn't even participate in skirmishing rounds so I was expecting to get smashed right out the gate. I was on mountains and there was no river penalty. My PC was there and he was like ~27 martial with brave, diligent and zealous with heavy infantry specialization, the other commanders were 20+ martial, both patient but with no relevant specializations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Allyn posted:

Nah, that wasn't me. Sorry.

I am currently kludging together a mod with a number of little changes, though, in which I'll probably include that.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Allyn posted:

That was me! It was kingdoms only, and it's mixed in with a few other tweaks I put in, but it would be easy enough to make a public version. What's a non-pain-in-the-rear end place to upload the .rar file?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

CapnAndy posted:

So I'm nearly 1000 posts behind, and gently caress that, not reading through them. Can everyone who's doing part of the LP just give me an update on how you're doing, progress-wise? (Fair's fair: I myself have finished one update.)

Also, does someone want to volunteer to write the basic "here are all the terms, this is what they mean, this is the interface, here's what each button does" stuff? Because I really really don't want to do it.

I marathoned about 15-20 years of pretty dense gameplay before realizing my screen capture program was loving up and taking pictures of my desktop so I have to redo my bits v:v:v

What I learned though, is that the Republic segment is probably going to be pretty short in terms of time, but front-loaded with information. The actual arc of gameplay is all about the difficulties setting up your trade empire, and after that you basically just throw money at things.

I may also include some screenshots of my for-fun Norse Republic game in which I control almost all of western Europe, or an update or two showing how much easier it is to get started as one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

crm posted:

I guess I could do that with everything I suppose.

My map currently looks like this

I really don't have to go edit files every stinking time.

I would not use the console to change your culture, this will destroy all your culture buildings and unique retinues. Cheat yourself the title, you can gift one of your enemies the gold it would have cost.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Because it's trivial but boring to code, I also did it myself:

Full Kingdom Control Minimod

This simply adds an alternative criteria for kingdom creation, allowing culture-specific kingdoms (like Pomerania, for example) to be created if you completely control it. It does change your checksum, however.

Any bugs or problems, please tell me. :)

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Nolanar posted:

That was me! It was kingdoms only, and it's mixed in with a few other tweaks I put in, but it would be easy enough to make a public version. What's a non-pain-in-the-rear end place to upload the .rar file?

We could try this out?

http://www.sharefest.me/

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

For people who want to bypass those cultural/religious requirements, but still want them to mean something, I uploaded that mod I mentioned. I don't know Fake Latin well enough to come up with a standard CK2 mod name, so I just called it Tweaked Titles. Download it here.

Basically, the cultural and religious requirements for almost every kingdom and empire can be bypassed, but only if you control the entire de jure territory, down to the last holding. Venice has a city in one of the counties on the edge? No title for you.

Compatibility with other mods: no idea! A rough guess would be if it doesn't mod landed_titles.txt, it's probably compatible with Tweaked Titles.

edit:

TinTower posted:

Because it's trivial but boring to code, I also did it myself:
Fair enough!

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Nolanar posted:

For people who want to bypass those cultural/religious requirements, but still want them to mean something, I uploaded that mod I mentioned. I don't know Fake Latin well enough to come up with a standard CK2 mod name, so I just called it Tweaked Titles. Download it here.

Basically, the cultural and religious requirements for almost every kingdom and empire can be bypassed, but only if you control the entire de jure territory, down to the last holding. Venice has a city in one of the counties on the edge? No title for you.

Compatibility with other mods: no idea! A rough guess would be if it doesn't mod landed_titles.txt, it's probably compatible with Tweaked Titles.

edit:

Fair enough!

*hug*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Comparing the two mods, mine doesn't allow Empire creation if you're not the right culture (by design), and I think there are a few minor differences when it comes to the Spanish titles.

• Locked thread