Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Iris of Ether posted:

I, Iris of Ether, oath (1) Forest Troll from C-P Models and (1) sloshed Trollkin Troll Whelp from Privateer Press. Both models are 28mm scale.

Below is the picture I took prior to lopping off his bone club, separating his arm from his side, moving it into drinking position, and dremeling the poo poo out of everything. I'm going to paint the comedy-size tankard nee Hirst Arts bucket separately, then attach it on at the end.

I need to buy a jeweler's saw one of these days.

I, Iris of Ether, am making an oath addition! I pledge (1) Bartender, (1) Wench with Mugs, and (1) Strumpet from Reaper's Bones line. All models are 28mm scale.

Time for my minis to get their drink on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Kommando posted:

This kinda makes it hard to do speed painting at the start of the month.

You don't need to do your speed painting entry using your original oath picture, take a separate time-stamped start photo :ssh:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath one stupid Cyclops Savage and one Cyclops Brute from Privateer Press for the month of July.

Hopefully I'll have time to add another guy and keep the theme dream alive.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
I, Arlaharen, oath Midas and six Razor Boars from Privateer Press for July

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I, Raphus C, Oath 8 Burnas and 1 Slaver (GW) for July.

Before:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
In celebration of my country's independence, I was invited to go to a cabin, drink beer and shoot off surplus professional-grade fireworks! So, that is where I've been. It was a last-minute thing, and I do apologize for the delays.
I will have to withhold judgment until this evening as I am on a time crunch, but I assure you it will get done.

ALSO! if you or a loved one are experiencing issues with speed painting rules (specifically me seeing them in time), it's impossible for me to see all of them in time, so go for it! Do not, I repeat, do not wait for me to approve an oath if you intend to speed paint it. It's simply not gonna work for either party involved, but if you're a Good Boy and/or Good Girl, you will get your points because I trust you to know what you are doing!

Raphus C posted:

I, Raphus C, Oath 8 Burnas and 1 Slaver (GW) for July.

Pierzak posted:

I, Pierzak, oath a mighty Sogarat for the month of July! (Infinity/Corvus Belli, 28mm)

Loxbourne posted:

I, Loxbourne, by the powers vested in me by this paintbrush, hereby Oath to paint the following from Spartan Games' Firestorm Armada range:
Dindrenzi dreadnought (the big two-pronged thing).
Terran dreadnought
Terran battleship
Terran cruisers x 2
Terran destroyers x 2

TheBlobThing posted:

I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint this 1 Necromunda Escher juve from GW!

Red Shoe posted:

For July I oath: Broadside Bart, Bloody Bradigan, Gunner Dougal, a Slayer Helljack, and all of Wrath of Ashardalon including:

KingMob posted:

KingMob's July Oath

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, oath 10 Games-Workshop Kroot for July

Gomo posted:

I, Gomo, oath to paint 11 Games Workshop Chaos Space Marines 28 mm for July.

Iris of Ether posted:

I, Iris of Ether, oath (1) Forest Troll from C-P Models and (1) sloshed Trollkin Troll Whelp from Privateer Press. Both models are 28mm scale.

Grey Hunter posted:

I, Grey Hunter, Oath 11 members of the Scotland Yard company. 25mm scale, produced by North Star Military Figures

Achmed Jones posted:

I oath one Reaper Gnoll Warrior for the month of July

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I JesusIsTehCool oath to turn this pile of Games Workshop bits into a Tech Marine on a bike as my BEFORE picture for the month of July's journal.

Matgash posted:

I oath 1x Thudd gun (counts as thunderfire cannon) from forge world/GW.

Fuegan posted:

I, Fuegan, oath one Flamer of Tzeentch from the Games Workshop range.

Galaspar posted:

I, Galaspar, oath this Chaos Lord of Khorne by Games Workshop

SRM posted:

I, SRM, oath three Ravenwing bikes by Games Workshop for July

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I thiswayliesmadness do oath for Month of July:
A Reaper 'Mad Scientist (female)', converted to have a sword
A pair of Games Workshop Paladins
A pair of Cool Mini or Not 'Monkey with Flamethrowers'

JoshTheStampede posted:

I, JoshTheStampede, oath for July:

moths posted:

I, moths, oath for July:
10x Mantic Z-Corp troopers
3x FFG Grim Reapers
1x Mantic Mortis character

nathonicus posted:

I, Nathonicus, Oath this Company Command Squad and Platoon Command Squad of Death Korps of Krieg models from Games Workshop for the month of July. Additionally, I oath this Chandra unit from Infinity for my Detektuv's Jurnal converison piece.

Mt. ORourke posted:

For July I Oath 1 Epic Hexeris from Privateer Press

Booley posted:

I oath 1 Tau Crisis Suit Commander from Games Workshop

bhsman posted:

I, bhsman, oath to complete a Ariadnan Veteran Kazak from Corvus Belli's Infinity range by the end of this month.

ManiacMatt posted:

I ManiacMatt oath 5 Wraithguard by GW

YF19pilot posted:

I, YF19pilot, being of sound mind and spirit, do hereby oath to paint 1 'repurposed' Opel Blitz Truck and the German half of the Flames of War Open Fire! box set (2 PaK40s w/crew, 12 stands of Grenadiers (six 5x and six 4x), 1 Panzerschrek team, 5 command teams, and 3 StuGs); everything 15mm and from Battlefront

Slimnoid posted:

I, Slimnoid, pledge a 10-man squad of Terminators, two 5-man squads of Terminators, and a custom Belial! (all 28mm, all Games Workshop)

Bionic Psyker posted:

12 Fireforge games Templar Knights
Reaper Bones-
2 Storm Giants
1 Minataur
1 Ogre Chieftain,
1 Gnoll

Games Workshop
1 Gorebeast Chariot
1 Disc of Tzeentch
1 coverted Sorceror
1 Infantry base for sorceror
1 Lelith Hespirax
1 Mutalith Vortex Beast
1 Daemon Prince

Mmtheblue posted:

I, Mmtheblue, Oath to paint Five Games Workshop Space Marines, one Ork Nob, and some assorted bits (Grenade Launcher and two pistols) for the month of July.

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, swear a mighty oath to paint five orcs and Grumlok, all GW models.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath to paint the following in the month of July: 1 Hellhound, 1 Cyber Mastiff, 1 Chosen Chaos Space Marine, 8 Imperial Guard veterans, 1 Banner/Objective marker, 1 Commissar and one Vendetta.

Harkano posted:

I Harkano, oath this Privateer Press Trollblood Mountain King for the month of July.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I, Dr. Red Ranger, do hereby oath to paint these here pictured hams (Games Workshop Chaos Terminators).

Quest Jefferson posted:

I, Quest Jefferson, oath a Kodiak Heavy Warjack and Vladimir Tzepesci, Great Prince of Umbrey for July. Both models are from Privateer Press.

Mr.Booger posted:

I, Mr.Booger, Oath 12 Baccus ACW confederate cav (6mm) and 1 GW Necron (28-30mm)

Kommando posted:

I, Kommando, pledge to paint this unseen Sparrowhawk Aerospace Fighter and Adder Battlemech for the month of July (by Iron Wind Metals).

lovestick posted:

For July, I, lovestick oath a Battletech Jagermech by Catalyst Games and swear to Save da Whales! for the previous month by completing my failed oath

Zhent posted:

I, Zhent, oath one Ravenwing Attack Bike from Games Workshop

Pierzak posted:

Because I am a masochist, I, Pierzak, add the following miniatures to my July oath:

- 3 Yaogats (combi, combi/panzerfaust, sniper)
- 1 Treitak Spec-Op
- 1 Rasyat with combi rifle
- 1 Morat Vanguard that will have his combi rifle dremeled CUT AND SWAPPED for a multi sniper rifle
- 1 Morat Vanguard with HMG
- 3 Seed-Soldiers

Alle these models are made by Corvus Belli for Infinity and are in 28mm scale.

PierreTheMime posted:

I, PierreTheMime, oath Kairos Fateweaver and Colonel "Iron Hand" Straken! :siren:
These are both Games Workshop models.

Fix posted:

I, Fix, oath the following:
1 Aegis Defense Line with Icarus Lascannon (Games Workshop)
2 Servitors (Games Workshop)
1 Servitor (Games Workshop kitbash)
1 Crusader (Games Workshop)
3 Servo Skull markers (Games Workshop)
1 Jokaero (Games Workshop)
1 Orangutango (Reaper)
1 Privateer Godwin (Hasslefree)
1 Skinny little dude I honestly have no idea where he came from. I thought he was from Dark Age, but now I can't find it.

Deanut Pancer posted:

I Deanut Pancer, oath this Ork Runt-herd (GW 40k)

Indolent Bastard posted:

I, Indolent Bastard, oath 5 Elf Fantasy Football Players from Shadow Forge Miniatures, 1 Ariadna Chasseur from Corvus Beli (Infinity), and 1 Ork Kopta converted into a Biker/Buggy Boy from Games Workshop

ForkBanger posted:

After some shopping, I, Forkbanger, oath for July 5 Chaos Knights.

PST posted:

I PST hereby Oath 2 converted Games Workshop, Battlefleet Gothic Cruisers along with 2 Light Cruisers, 3 Frigates and 4 Destroyers which are all custom resin ships from Mangozac (https://www.resinaddict.com)

counterspin posted:

I Counterspin, being of strange mind and warped body, oath three grey lords , Old Witch and Scrapjack from Privateer Press

Phoon posted:

I, Phoon, oath a z'zor dreadball team* comprising of two Z'zor Guards, two Z'zor Strikers and four Z'zor Jacks. These are Mantic minis.

KamNZ posted:

I, KamNZ, Oath to paint 1 x GW Draigo converted to Grand Master Mordrak, 1 x GW Grey Knight Ghost Terminator conversion and 1 x Warlord Sigurd from Reaper. These are all 28mm.

enri posted:

I, enri, hereby oath to paint...
4 epic scale space marine land raiders, scale is 6mm and the manufacturer is Games Workshop
2 epic scale tyranid zoanthropes*, scale is 6mm and the manufacturer is Games Workshop / Dark Realm Miniatures

IrvingWashington posted:

I, Irving Washington, oath to paint the following Hawk Wargames Dropzone Commander 10mm minis: 4x Condor dropships, 3x Rapier AA tanks, 3x Sabre main battle tanks, 2x Bear APCs, 6x Colonial Legionnaire stands, 1x Kodiak ACV. In addition I'll be trying to do something nice with some sharp tools and 1 Games Workshop Space Marine scout, which is whatever scale GW use for 40k

Iris of Ether posted:

I, Iris of Ether, am making an oath addition! I pledge (1) Bartender, (1) Wench with Mugs, and (1) Strumpet from Reaper's Bones line. All models are 28mm scale.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath one stupid Cyclops Savage and one Cyclops Brute from Privateer Press for the month of July.

Arlaharen posted:

[b]I, Arlaharen, oath Midas and six Razor Boars from Privateer Press for July

DENIED Accepted!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Whew! We were worried you'd been buried under a pile of dried-up GW paint pots or your miniatures had come to life and 'taken care of you' somehow. I guess this means I should figure out what I'll be painting and oath it!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Conversion complete:

Now to paint it!

(This qualify for the monthly theme correct?)

*cough* This qualify for the monthly theme correct? *cough*

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:gifttank:Judgement!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: Red Shoe

Everything was great once again. The gold metallics on this dude popped out at me, super sharp, yet it still works perfectly with the overall tone of the piece. Love the paint jobs on those Helldrakes, nice color variation on the carapace.

2nd Place, 2 Points: Slimnoid

These are the most perfect skulls ever. The lenses are great, the rust is great, everything is bold as poo poo. The purple on the Stompa came out great. Love the rust effect on the Stompa, just like the bases on the Servitors.

1st Place, 3 Points: OneTrueBru

You put stubble on your marine for Christ's sake. His face and the top of his head. Super effective, all the highlights look ultra crisp. Love the striping on the chainsword. Base is simple but well executed. I like the Ork as well, nice weathering on the blue bits.

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Battle Damage, 1 Point: Monoliths

Awesome job, socket looks torn and shredded to hell, not just casually cut off.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:

Claiming a themed group for them, and their conversions are the weapon swap on the plasma gunner, arm swap on the chainsword guy, and the entire new top half on the third guy.

I finished these awful fast, will probably oath something else once the humidity drops down to a reasonable level.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

enri posted:

* these are for my journal entry, hopefully they count.. I'm using GW plastic rippers with the tops of their heads chopped off and I'm using the heads from some Dark Realms Miniatures 'medium beasties' minis to give them that classic 'oh god look at the size of its head' look.

That sounds like it would count. Just be sure to take before and after photos of your conversion for me. Ideally with a little more light than in your Oath pic!

Indolent Bastard posted:

(This qualify for the monthly theme correct?)

Yes!

IrvingWashington posted:

I'm okay to post before and after conversion pictures in my oath complete post, right? Because I don't know what I'm doing yet

Here's a before:

And an after:

You can post your before & after at any time: in your oath, oath complete, or a separate post. However, doing it earlier ensures you don't wind up in a situation where we don't agree it's a qualifying conversion, but you've already completed your oath and maybe it's July 31st and there's no time to do something else! So earlier is better, unless you're sure you've done what's needed to qualify.

Indolent Bastard posted:

*cough* This qualify for the monthly theme correct? *cough*

Yes!

OK folks now I need to confess, I hosed something up!

First, due to a typo, I failed to include Signal in the June prize drawing for Corvus Belli/Infinity models. Because I spelled it "Covus Belli" in the spreadsheet cell. I only noticed because I was reviewing the list of model makers on the Interesting Statistics spreadsheet and saw the typo there.

Looking into it further, I also programmed the Corvus Belli index column to assign a number to anyone who oathed a Corvus Belli model, even if they didn't complete this oath. As a result, Korwen, Pierzak, Derlix, and Johnasaurus were included in the June drawing, even though they failed their oaths!

So basically, I rolled the wrong sized die. On the other hand, the person who won, nathonicus, did complete his Corvus Belli model, and I'm loathe to take back the prize now and re-roll, that seems like a dick move.

So, please accept my apology for screwing that up, and if you have an opinion as to how I should make it right, feel free to post, or PM/email me, or Krushgroove, at your preference. For July and onward, I will get this fixed in the sheet.

MEANWHILE... for those of you who paint Corvus Belli stuff, but haven't oathed a Corvus Belli model, this is a good month to put one into the mix! At the end of the month, I'll be doing two drawings: one for the monthly blister pack, and one for the quarterly starter box. The pool of entrants has been pretty small (9 in May, 12 8 in June), so your odds of winning are better! Anyone who has oathed and completed a Corvus Belli model gets an entry in this prize drawing each month, and if you complete a Corvus Belli mini during a quarter you qualify for the quarterly prize too. There is also a big prize at the end of the year, and all you have to do to qualify is complete at least one Corvus Belli model all year! Please support this great sponsor, who has generously provided prizes for us two years running now. I hear their game, Infinity, is pretty cool too.

e. Oh yeah, by the way, your points leaders at the moment are Red Shoe and Slimnoid, at 30 points each! That's including Bachtere's judging points, and also points awarded so far for July, so it might change once we get the other judges in and you folks finish doing some more oaths. There's also a five-way tie for eighth place right now, at 25 points!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 6, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gonna double-post as an aside: part of the reason for my fuckup is the weird way that Google has implemented many of their spreadsheet functions. Here's the current formula I'm using in the Corvus Belli Index column:

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Corvus Belli", L<this row>)), 0, MAX(Y3:Y<this row -1>)+1)

So, for example, on row 82 (nathonicus), the formula looks like:

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Corvus Belli", L82)), 0, MAX(Y3:Y81)+1)

Why the gently caress would I do it this way? Well, because the SEARCH function, if it fails to find a result, returns ERROR instead of what you'd expect, which would be FALSE. Seriously. SEARCH returns either TRUE or loving ERROR? You can't write boolean logic based on that! If I did something like
=IF(ISTRUE(SEARCH("Corvus Belli", L82)), MAX(Y3:Y81)+1, 0)
Then I'd get a numerical value when the string is in L82, but the entire IF function would return an error when it's false: and you cant perform column-wide numerical operations on a column full of ERRORs. MAX returns an error because it is expecting only numerical values. It's all hosed.

Gooooogle :argh:

Soooo, now that I need to do a compound test (is "corvus belli" somewhere in the L cell, AND is there a value in the P column which indicates the oath was completed, THEN do the max + 1 thing), I'll have to figure out a different way around this bullshit. Any ideas would be great.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

First, due to a typo, I failed to include Signal in the June prize drawing for Corvus Belli/Infinity models.

:( Ah well.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

As a result, Korwen, Pierzak, Derlix, and Johnasaurus were included in the June drawing, even though they failed their oaths!
Well that's your fuckup, buddy! I got pics to prove it and we actually talked about tem <:mad:>

I'd rather someone didn't think I failed my toxx :colbert:

ed: And I have the completed pic link in the spreadsheet. You were talking about some issue IIRC, better fix that (and gimme my points)!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 6, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Well that's your fuckup, buddy! I got pics to prove it and we actually talked about tem <:mad:>

I'd rather someone didn't think I failed my toxx :colbert:

Well, gently caress! Somehow you didn't get your points. And yet I did paste in the URL for your oath complete post! See, this is why I tell everyone to please check the spreadsheet to confirm their poo poo. Sorry, it's fixed now!

But this means you weren't included in any of the prize draws. Argh!

e. You didn't do battle damage on your guys, did you?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 6, 2013

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Woo, 3 points from Bachtere himself and I won a prize? Thanks everyone. :woop:

But on that note, I won't have a lot of time to paint for the next wee while so I'd be quite happy to transfer my Grab Bag win to Signal (assuming he wants it). Saves a prize potentially languishing on my shelves for ages.

Leperflesh posted:

So, please accept my apology for screwing that up, and if you have an opinion as to how I should make it right, feel free to post, or PM/email me, or Krushgroove, at your preference. For July and onward, I will get this fixed in the sheet.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Well, gently caress! Somehow you didn't get your points. And yet I did paste in the URL for your oath complete post! See, this is why I tell everyone to please check the spreadsheet to confirm their poo poo. Sorry, it's fixed now!

But this means you weren't included in any of the prize draws. Argh!

e. You didn't do battle damage on your guys, did you?
I did check if I'm marked as complete, but you said you had something to deal with concerning me and several others (maybe those who didn't get extra points?), so better check them too.

And no, I didn't do damage. I've heard we can do missed journals for extra points, is that true?

As for the draws, I figure it's part of bad luck. Time to put all the excess good luck in the starter draw, can I have some Tohaa? :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think what happened was, I decided to wait to see your photos or something and didn't put in the points, and then forgot I'd done that?

Here's how doing past jurnals works: for any given month, you can do the current jurnal for 2 points. OR, you can do any past jurnal for 1 point. So this month, you can do the current jurnal where you cut off a bit and put on a different bit or move it to a different pose, and earn 2 points; or, you could do either of the May or June jurnals, and get 1 point instead.

OneTrueBru posted:

Woo, 3 points from Bachtere himself and I won a prize? Thanks everyone. :woop:

But on that note, I won't have a lot of time to paint for the next wee while so I'd be quite happy to transfer my Grab Bag win to Signal (assuming he wants it). Saves a prize potentially languishing on my shelves for ages.

That's very generous of you. Looks like I screwed over Pierzak too. :(

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
I, Haydrian, oath one GW Aegis Defense Line quad gun

To be Cut and Swapped appropriately after I figure out what to do with the damned thing, I'll post the before picture tomorrow hopefully.

Edit: Now with bonus "After" shot

Dat's dead killy, dat is!

Haydrian fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 7, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Awwww, it's a baby!

I Bucnasti, first of his name, oath to complete this Reaper Bones Earth Elemental.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

That's very generous of you. Looks like I screwed over Pierzak too. :(

While we're all getting down on you, can you confirm if multiple entries in the themed group = multiple chances to win, or is it just 1 entry in the draw whether you paint a group in both months or just one? I thought the rules were that one submission = one entry, so both months would be two chances to win. If this isn't the case then that's great because I can take a break from painting armies next month, perhaps, but if it is, then it looks like you didn't do that.

I don't want the roll changed because that's poor form, and Tadhg had 2 entries with approximately 6 million elves, but it'd be nice to know for the future.

To round things out, thank you so much for dealing with rolls, google docs, and us. I shudder when I think about what's involved.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Correct - there was a grace period for people who'd already done conversions but didn't know what the Jurnal theme is for this month, but starting today we have to have a BEFORE and AFTER picture. Even if it just means you've Blu Tac'd the standard arm in place and then you've swapped it with an alternate arm. The intent is that you're using something that makes the original model/kit/set look obviously different. The example above of changing a knife-holding hand to a pistol-holding hand is perfect.

Well, poo poo. I have a crisis suit with a reposed arm and knee/leg that would have been perfect for this all glued up and ready for priming.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IrvingWashington posted:

While we're all getting down on you, can you confirm if multiple entries in the themed group = multiple chances to win, or is it just 1 entry in the draw whether you paint a group in both months or just one? I thought the rules were that one submission = one entry, so both months would be two chances to win. If this isn't the case then that's great because I can take a break from painting armies next month, perhaps, but if it is, then it looks like you didn't do that.

I don't want the roll changed because that's poor form, and Tadhg had 2 entries with approximately 6 million elves, but it'd be nice to know for the future.

To round things out, thank you so much for dealing with rolls, google docs, and us. I shudder when I think about what's involved.

It is indeed multiple entries, and you have credit for both. If you look at the index column, you'll see that if you have a link in both column B and column C, it adds two to the total: so, your index was 26 and 27. By the same token, Tadhg was both 2 and 3. You're all good! :)

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
oooooooohhh.

Thanks for clearing that up. I must learn to count in sequence one of these days. On the downside, that means I have no excuse to stop painting tiny armies until they run out (about the 6-month mark, probably).

fake e: I don't think that's legitimately a downside

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
I, Rikthor, oath (2) Persian Infantry, 28mm, from Wargames Factory.

I am also hoping this will count as a diorama bonus?

For Detektuv’s Jurnal: Cut and Swap!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Hopefully I'll have time to add another guy and keep the theme dream alive.

Cut and Swap

As you can see, I've cut off the cyclops savage's large falchion like blade and replaced it with a larger and slightly savager falchion like blade. Don't be overwhelmed by my creativity in this matter.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

As you can see, I've cut off the cyclops savage's large falchion like blade and replaced it with a larger and slightly savager falchion like blade. Don't be overwhelmed by my creativity in this matter.

I like it. Especially if you argue that it gives that guy increased stats. Has anyone ever painted an army of orks red to try and increase their move value?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I, Chance II, Oath Three total conversions Mordheim Dregs, one Priest of Sigmar, Four Witch Hunters, and two Aspiring Champions. All bits are of Games Workshop origin.

These Empire flagellents will become Cult of the Possessed Aspiring Champions after I do some head swaps and change their flails to great axes.

Another Flegellent becomes my Sigmarite Priest after cutting and replacing his torso adding a hammer to an armored arm and cutting the stocks from his head and arms.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Time to do my judge-ly duty. GUILTY!!! YOU'RE ALL GUILTY!!!

Wait... I'll get it right one of these months! Points! Yeah! That's the ticket!

1 Point: Chance II

Orkifying is easy and fun. De-orkifying isn't something I can say I've seen very much but you cleaned that junker up quite nicely.

2 Points: Indolent Bastard

The picture doesn't really do justice as to why you got points this month. This on the other hand...

3 Points: Germ

It doesn't really need saying, but these are some really great wreckage markers. All the bits lying around give a good impression of it getting blown to pieces, and being able to make casts to rifle that many out at once was just icing on the cake.

Bonus Theme Point: IrvingWashington

I really like the extent you went to on showing how the battle damage was done. Scratched the hell out of it, busted a leg prone, but breaking the shield was kind of the tipping point. It's a part of the model away from the damaged leg, but it makes sense it would have to be taken out first. Good thinking and good damage.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 7, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Guess what time it is? DODGEBALL TIME.
I'll wait until you have a round. No, I insist, have fun!
Okay, now that you are back, get ready to :stoat:BE JUDGED!:stoat:

1 Point: Namenlos!

You pretty much took everything I liked about your style and poured it into a single mini. Aside from your wonderfully-done NMM, your color selection and application is bright, vibrant, and stunning (attention to detail notwithstanding).

2 Points: OneTruBru!

:sbahj:
Ahem. The only reason you didn't get all 3 points is simply a matter of volume. You might be the shark in the water this year, Goon sir; everyone should be looking to take you down before too long.

3 Points: Red Shoe!

I could go on about everything great about these models, but what always gets me about your work is the high-quality over large quantity. I'm not sure how you do it, but it is always done well, with rich tones that blend together across everything you do, giving it a cohesive look that is deceptively hard to achieve.

Bonus Coolguy Point: Booley!

Models like these are my favorite part of being the artistry judge: seeing something unexpected, original and nothing that I would have thought to do at all. It works very well, in spite of (or perhaps because of) the dramatic clash of bright, flashy colors on an otherwise standard olive drab.

IN OTHER NEWS...

Haydrian posted:

I, Haydrian, oath one GW Aegis Defense Line quad gun

Chance II posted:

I, Chance II, Oath Three total conversions Mordheim Dregs, one Priest of Sigmar, Four Witch Hunters, and two Aspiring Champions. All bits are of Games Workshop origin.

Rikthor posted:

I, Rikthor, oath (2) Persian Infantry, 28mm, from Wargames Factory.

Bucnasti posted:

Awwww, it's a baby!

Accepted.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Bonus Theme Point: IrvingWashington
I really like the extent you went to on showing how the battle damage was done. Scratched the hell out of it, busted a leg prone, but breaking the shield was kind of the tipping point. It's a part of the model away from the damaged leg, but it makes sense it would have to be taken out first. Good thinking and good damage.

Wow, thank you! I didn't think I'd get anything other than possibly lucky in a prize draw, so I'm super happy. Even more so because I didn't scratch this model at all - all those scratches and dings were painted only after I looked up a tutorial on painting 3d-looking damage :)

That's one in the eye for the GW employee who told 12-year-old me that my free-handed dragon insignia on my space barbie's shoulder pad was "pretty poo poo." :3:

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!
:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
I Khadhul, oath to paint during the month of July, one Space Marine Commander from Games Workshop/Forgeworld.

Here's the cut and swap as it is now:

I cut up the right arm so I could repose it as holding a sword, it's not pinned/greenstuffed into place yet so the final product might look a bit different. The left arm is currently a cut up black templars power sword shoulder to get a good angle on the shoulderpad and a brass pin that'll form a base for a bionic arm holding a combimelta to his side. The head is, if I recall correctly from the cadian command squad box.

FoulWeatherFriend fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 7, 2013

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Kind of sad I missed out on June due to life getting in the way, but this time a 180 degree shift from my historical minis I oathed last time.

This time its 10mm Sci Fi!

I, Serotonin, oath 1 Shaltari Gaia Heavy Gate, 2 Spirit Light Gates and 4 stands of Shaltari Braves (12 troops)for Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames for July

Going to be busting out my airbrush with these.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010
I, Grabpot Thundergust, do oath that I shall paint these 5 GW Deathwing Terminators.

Apologies, the photo's a bit of a blowout - my lightbox is just a milk bottle, so isn't big enough to fit all of this at once, and my camera's on the fritz so I had to use my wife's phone.

I haven't oathed anything for about 2 years, so not really sure if that counts for Awww, it's a baby, but shy bairns get nowt, so it's worth asking.

So yeah, anyway. Paint for the paint god!

If i were to cut and swap a new head in on one of the horrifically dull Storm Bolter/PF termis, would it still be kosher, even though the photo may be of a model slightly further along in terms of painting?

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Thank you to all the judges!

Sushi, my secret to painting a large volume is that I have a good idea of where I can take shortcuts with minimal effect on overall quality. For example, on the Bane Thralls you posted I didn't do any blending on their wraith-like lower bodies. It was just 3 quick layers of overly bright turquoise, then I washed them with Nuln Oil which toned down and blended the colors in a single step. I usually take my time on character models but any cut corner on a large unit saves a lot of time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grabpot Thundergust posted:

If i were to cut and swap a new head in on one of the horrifically dull Storm Bolter/PF termis, would it still be kosher, even though the photo may be of a model slightly further along in terms of painting?

Sure, you can do your conversion at any stage of painting. All I need is the before/after photo that clearly shows that you've done the conversion work.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I, Android oath two obliterators and a Nurgle sorcerer from Gw and one Caledonian volunteer from Corvus Belli.

Further modifications for the Jurnal to come. What's one more limb when your as far gone into chaos as these guys, right?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

OneTrueBru posted:

Wow dude, that's super generous of you. I don't want to steal your well-earned prize though. :D

I, Signal, oath to paint two Marseille Class Cruisers, eight Lyon Class Frigates, one Voltaire Heavy Interceptor and sixteen Tiny Fliers from Dystopian Wars/Spartan Games (in 1:1200 scale, I think) and two Crusader Brethren from Infinity/Corvus Belli in 28mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

It doesn't really need saying, but these are some really great wreckage markers. All the bits lying around give a good impression of it getting blown to pieces, and being able to make casts to rifle that many out at once was just icing on the cake.

Wow, thanks a million!

While I've done a fair bit of casting before, this was the first time I tried anything like the wreckage marker. It actually got me pretty jazzed about doing similar stuff. I've spent the last month or so working on wreck markers for other 40k vehicles. So far, I've made masters for a variety of "Galactic" Marine vehicles (Transport/tank chassis, land speeder, walker, drop pod, and heavy transport), Evil space elves (transport skiff and heavy weapon skimmer), Human Soldiers (Walker and Battle tank/transport chassis). I've got a fair amount of work done for lots of the others, as well. I'd post photos, but my wife's out of town with the camera. Anyhow, I'll hopefully be able to have some available for others at some point in the near future - I was aiming toward starting a Kickstarter by mid-August.

I have an oath selected, but I have to wait till my wife gets back to photograph it. Heck, I can't even start on the conversion work until after she's back, in order to get the proper "before" shot.

• Locked thread