Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The Jabberwocky posted:

So my wife came home today and said "I saw smoke and smelled something weird from the engine." I checked it out and saw this:

Can anybody see anything more than a torn boot there? What should I look for to make sure the actual part is ok if I just replace the boot? It's an auto 08 Outback 2.5i.

That is a torn boot blowing axle grease out onto a hot cat.

You can re-grease the CV and throw another boot on and be good to go. No worries.

I'm not sure it's 100% exactly the same on later models, but its easier to get the axle out by popping the strut bolts rather than the ball joint on earlier cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I bet that smelled just lovely.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Slow is Fast posted:

That is a torn boot blowing axle grease out onto a hot cat.

You can re-grease the CV and throw another boot on and be good to go. No worries.

I'm not sure it's 100% exactly the same on later models, but its easier to get the axle out by popping the strut bolts rather than the ball joint on earlier cars.

Thanks for that. I was hoping that's all it was, but I wanted to get a more knowledgeable set of eyes on it just to be safe.

G-Mach posted:

I bet that smelled just lovely.

I have to say the worst car-thing I've smelled is still burning PS/AT fluid, but this is a sure second.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
How does he get the boot on?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Does anyone here have any advice related to fitting a GD style intercooler spray system to a GR?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

daslog posted:

How does he get the boot on?

Agreed. I have the same problem and bought new axels as I don't know how to change the boot.
The axels are sitting in my garage because it looks like too much work.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If I were to buy the stock STi springs from this dude, would I need to pick up a set of 04 tophats to put them on my 02 wagon koni'd struts?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2524883

si
Apr 26, 2004

blindjoe posted:

Agreed. I have the same problem and bought new axels as I don't know how to change the boot.
The axels are sitting in my garage because it looks like too much work.

The axle nut is the only real challenge there. Check out youtube, there's actually decent how-to videos on there. You have the FSMs, right? You can do drat near anything with the FSM as long as you're patient and read it through.

toplitzin posted:

If I were to buy the stock STi springs from this dude, would I need to pick up a set of 04 tophats to put them on my 02 wagon koni'd struts?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2524883

If I recall (and I may not) the STI rear springs are tapered and you need the topmounts for them. I believe the fronts are universal.

That said, if you're going to use STI springs, I would also use matched struts, and upgrade the top mounts. Otherwise you're not going to get a very good overall setup.

Edit: oh god wagon - I have no idea what's going on in the rear end of a wagon.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18688737

si fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 5, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yep, just the rear top hats, plus some washers to go on the strut so it doesn't clunk, plus maybe a small spacer to add a bit of rear ride height.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
On mine I just bought new rear tophats from rockauto.
I didn't need a washer or spacers.

The rear might be a little lower? but I don't care.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yes but aren't you using inserts for an 04-07? The 02-03 rear strut is a little different where it goes into the top hat and will clunk if you put them on newer mounts.

Front is all the same.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Ah, right. We planned that out before I bought the struts so it would work out.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

Yep, just the rear top hats, plus some washers to go on the strut so it doesn't clunk, plus maybe a small spacer to add a bit of rear ride height.

Or would i be better off with a set of tein s techs?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2520466

I mean if those four will work with no new tophats @ $175, two new 04 tophats are about $100 so its almost a wash on price.

There is also a set of 04 red Prodrives, and he has the tophats available too.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2520466

Thoughts?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 5, 2013

si
Apr 26, 2004
What is your goal? Those are all dramatically different springs.

Would not recommend s-techs to anyone.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267918

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

si posted:

What is your goal? Those are all dramatically different springs.

Would not recommend s-techs to anyone.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267918

It's a DD and I going with the motto of: "if I'm replacing something, may as well go one step better than OEM if it's not stupid expensive."

Basically I've gone Stage 2 (catless up and down with 3" all the way back), short throw shifter/bushings, an energy suspension bushing set (not yet installed), stoptech pads n rotors, and the koni inserts.

si
Apr 26, 2004

toplitzin posted:

It's a DD and I going with the motto of: "if I'm replacing something, may as well go one step better than OEM if it's not stupid expensive."

Basically I've gone Stage 2 (catless up and down with 3" all the way back), short throw shifter/bushings, an energy suspension bushing set (not yet installed), stoptech pads n rotors, and the koni inserts.

Got it -- definitely not s techs then. Springs really need to be matched to the dampers (and weight distribution), so I'd suggest researching the konis you put in and finding out what mates well with them. Myles @ RCE is a good guy to talk setups with, and the RCE Blacks or RCE Yellows might be a good choice for a highly functional setup, if you can find a used set.

The prodrive springs I think are matched for V7 dampers, and the STI springs are obviously matched for the 04 STI dampers.

You can probably also find some generic Swift or King springs with proper lengths & rates to go with the konis, but I don't know enough about them to suggest specific rates.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Anything but s-techs. I have the rce blacks and they are a little on the stiff side for daily driving. I'm on sti struts that are getting a little old though and better struts like those konis will help.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

Anything but s-techs. I have the rce blacks and they are a little on the stiff side for daily driving. I'm on sti struts that are getting a little old though and better struts like those konis will help.

Will the stocks be fine for the time being?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The STi springs made a huge difference for handling with the koni's.
I never tried with wrx springs, so I can't compare new dampers and old springs.
It makes it a little more jarring but lower and sportier.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Blower started sounding like death. Headed to junkyard to get new blower ($40)

Now I'm worried where that bolt came from. Thankfully, this is a hilariously easy job on the legacy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Will the stocks be fine for the time being?

You mean stock sti springs with konis? Yes that will work really well.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Stock STi springs are awesome. I've driven on s techs and would rather run the STi springs.

My street setup will probably be RCE yellows.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
I highly recommend finding a test car to drive around in before pulling the trigger. I feel like that one scene right out of Ace Ventura where he's dramatically bouncing around the compartment whenever I travel on one of SoCal's moderately maintained roads. That's not me saying I'm unhappy with them or anything like that, I knew what I wanted beforehand, and they delivered and then some. It's just hilarious when transitioning from driving the cadillac for a week to driving the wrx now and then and forgetting that it's like a rollercoaster sometimes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A week late --

jamal posted:

Hawk's updated line of track pads are also pretty good. Really it just comes down to not using a street pad on the track. Hawk DTC-60 and the ferodo ds3000 are both good choices too. We used CL pads in the race car and I know a couple other people that were really happy with them. They all have a really flat friction curve and high MOTs, so the big difference between them is the cf. The RC5+ is the mild pad that's mean for street tires and can actually be daily driven. It comes in 4-pot and brembo shapes but I don't think you can get it for 2-pot fronts.

I loved the CL RC5+ on the track. It doesn't have a warmup that would prevent daily driving, but it is very squeaky at low speeds and pressure. Doesn't bother me personally, but I imagine it's really annoying to the people around me.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

A week late --

I loved the CL RC5+ on the track. It doesn't have a warmup that would prevent daily driving, but it is very squeaky at low speeds and pressure. Doesn't bother me personally, but I imagine it's really annoying to the people around me.

You'll get used to the odd looks people will give you. I'm certain my neighbors hate me by this point. They can hear me stopping at the stop sign at the end of the block

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Carbotech XP8s on my Miata scream like a banshee all the time every day unless it's wet. When I first got it there were some little kids on my commute who were excited to see it (potentially because it's a "my-size" car, like a Power Wheels). I revved the engine and then braked for a 4-way stop at the intersection. Cue them covering their ears and running for cover. :3:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I somehow managed to shred the wheel well liner on my 03 Forester, and I was wondering how hard that piece is to replace.

From what I can tell, the entire liner is one piece of plastic held in by clips, but I can't find anything describing whether it's easy (or possible) to remove and replace it without removing the wheel first.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

azflyboy posted:

I somehow managed to shred the wheel well liner on my 03 Forester, and I was wondering how hard that piece is to replace.

From what I can tell, the entire liner is one piece of plastic held in by clips, but I can't find anything describing whether it's easy (or possible) to remove and replace it without removing the wheel first.

I was just at a subaru junkyard and the guy said that wheel well liners are the thing they sell the most of, so I guess it is pretty common.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Easy DIY. Just take your time.

I have rock auto fender liners on my legacy held on by misc plastic push pins and zip ties. No problems at all.

I suggest a pair of wire cutters when you go to replace it. You can slide the teeth under the pop its to pry them out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The price has gone way up lately but you could try getting these loving awesome KTC clip pliers. I have a pair myself and they rule. So many cars have annoying little Christmas tree clips and this thing makes them laughable.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The price has gone way up lately but you could try getting these loving awesome KTC clip pliers. I have a pair myself and they rule. So many cars have annoying little Christmas tree clips and this thing makes them laughable.

What do those do better than the $7 kit I bought at harbor freight?
Besides look cool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's basically it. They're probably higher quality in some inscrutable way that you'd only ever be able to figure out if you worked in a body shop for a decade using both back to back. They used to be like $30, I'm pretty sure. I bought them in a package with the interior trim puller tools for way less than $50.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I replaced the transmission fluid in my 08 STi with some fresh Extra S. Feels great! I had it done at the dealership here in town and I don't think they used extra S because once they changed the fluid every time I would make a tight radius turn I could hear my differentials grumbling. Now that I have extra S in I went out and made some turns at full lock and heard nothing, so that's a success.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Woo! Ordered the STi springs for $100, will order the spacers when i get back, and picked up a complete rear set from an 04 rear for $30.

1) How do I get the tophats off?

2) What am I going to do with the struts and springs besides scrap value?
Anybody want them?

si
Apr 26, 2004
What tools do you have?

Use spring compressors to hold the springs in place (you don't really need to compress them, you just need them to not put force out when you remove the top mount).

An impact makes short work of the top nut to disassemble them. Otherwise you need something to hold the buggers in place while you remove it.

That's really it - pay attention to the washer on the top mount, and make sure you put it back on the correct way. There's pictures on NASIOC/etc if you need reference later.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My '05 Saabaru recently threw a CEL however it has no code associated with it according to my Scangauge II. The CEL was thrown while I was backing into my garage. The only thing that comes to mind is that I gassed up that morning at my normal spot. A few days later, the CEL went away and hasn't returned. Anyone have any ideas?

From googling around, I've read posts about codeless CEL's but they're all custom tune related/codes turned off by an AP. My car is completely stock, no tune, no custom map, so that doesn't seem to apply to me.

The only thing I can think of is bad gas? :confused:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I had a codeless CEL a few years ago passing on the highway. Even the scan tools at my mechanic couldn't figure out what happened. Cleared it and the code never came back since.

So, I dunno? Presumably there are some codes (ABS?) that would only get reported to the dealership service tool and not to j random obd2 scanner.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any special tools (45 degree jointed socket extensions?) needed to change the plugs on an h4? I took a look today at the ej20k access (gc8) and it's pretty terrible.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Amandyke posted:

Can anyone recommend a car cover that will actually stay on in the wind and doesn't cost more than $100?

Bumping this before it gets too lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Bumping this before it gets too lost.

I've got a factory 02 wagon cover, make me an offer?