Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260027

seems so

i have no idea if this si poo poo but fwiw i had a kworld capture card a few years ago that worked without complaint for as long as i had it. i only took it out because it messed with pro tools but that's probably more on pro tools being a complete diva than anything

I wonder how it scales across non 1280x720 59.94 or 1920x1080 29.97 resolutions

Does it have a deinterlacer?

80 bucks does not give me faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

get schooled here nerds

History of AR.
https://vimeo.com/68830569

skip to :35

sorry but I already know the history of the ar-15, thx.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

I wonder how it scales across non 1280x720 59.94 or 1920x1080 29.97 resolutions

Does it have a deinterlacer?

80 bucks does not give me faith.

hey i didnt say it would be any good. just that it exists. somehow i doubt there's a real big market for hi end separate atsc tuners

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260027

seems so

i have no idea if this si poo poo but fwiw i had a kworld capture card a few years ago that worked without complaint for as long as i had it. i only took it out because it messed with pro tools but that's probably more on pro tools being a complete diva than anything
Hmmmm...

No audio over HDMI

Stereo audio only (how are they messing that up? Shouldn't it just be passed through?)

No channel changing over HDMI

Well not a bad start.

Also expensive for what it is, but I guess the market is small.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

has anyone ever had avidemux, um, work

every time i try to do something like cut a file up or apart or anything it just shits everything all up

why no i didnt want that to be in sync, thank you avidemux

my favorite thing about 2.6 is that they removed "save selection as jpeg images", because "2.6 is time based, not frame based." i wonder how they managed to get the right cursor key working.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I just found a bug in iOS 6 photo viewer through photostream.

If you upload a jpg with an sRGB profile embedded, it will not display correctly, even if it's encoded for sRGB.

If you upload a jpg with No profile embedded, but it was encoded for sRGB, it will display correctly.

Mail seems to handle the file correctly, as if you Mail a JPG with sRGB ICC profile embedded you will see it correctly there.

YVCPOS birch

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I'm at my parents house and they are watching Nikita and they are like "this is the greatest tv show its so good!!!" and all I can see is open shutter shots all over the place, lol what is this scrub tier poo poo?

who shoots open shutter?

180degree master shutter race, gods one true shutter speed

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pagancow posted:

I just found a bug in iOS 6 photo viewer through photostream.

If you upload a jpg with an sRGB profile embedded, it will not display correctly, even if it's encoded for sRGB.

If you upload a jpg with No profile embedded, but it was encoded for sRGB, it will display correctly.

Mail seems to handle the file correctly, as if you Mail a JPG with sRGB ICC profile embedded you will see it correctly there.

YVCPOS birch

Sounds like the photo viewer is trying to do its own color management and loving it up

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow wtf are you talking about? I'm glad you asked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqR7XkBEj4&t=90s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pagancow posted:

actually informative and very nicely presented. thanks pagancow

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
the YVCPOS life is hard. gettin mad at huge flaws nobody else notices. i've had people get mad at me when I don't watch things on their scrub tier setups

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Cubemario posted:

the YVCPOS life is hard. gettin mad at huge flaws nobody else notices. i've had people get mad at me when I don't watch things on their scrub tier setups

ignorance is bliss

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

while a 180-degree shutter was the "ideal" shutter, in reality a lot of film cameras actually had a 172-degree shutter, giving you 1/50th second exposure time at 24fps.

for the majority of cameras the shutter angle was fixed.

:eng101:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
do real cameras use shutters that don't overexpose the corners of the frame because that spinning pacman is making me sperg the f out

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pagancow posted:

I'm at my parents house and they are watching Nikita and they are like "this is the greatest tv show its so good!!!" and all I can see is open shutter shots all over the place, lol what is this scrub tier poo poo?

who shoots open shutter?

~my motion blur

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

who shoots open shutter?

okay, so what does open shutter mean? 360 degrees?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wheany posted:

it just means the shutter is always open so the frame is exposed for the duration it's in front of the aperture, i.e. 1/24th of a second.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cubemario posted:

people thought i was straight crazy when i talked about how awesome s-video was as a kid. i knew the truth tho

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

basically if you film this way and I ran the country, your camera license would be stripped.

yes I would make a license for you to use a camera so you weren't killing images.

more dangerous than a gun

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

who shoots open shutter?

To be fair the good qualities of Nikita have nothing to do with it not looking cheap as poo poo. See also the white house set that's like a closet and a hallway

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

do real cameras use shutters that don't overexpose the corners of the frame because that spinning pacman is making me sperg the f out

unlike that video, in an irl film movie camera the shutter disc is quite a bit bigger than a frame.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I wish I still had my old film movie camera, or still had access to one of the nice ones I used to use, so I could get a couple of pics and show you guys what the shutter disc and aperture gate actually looked like.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

people thought i was straight crazy when i talked about how awesome s-video was as a kid. i knew the truth tho

rgb scart supremacy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
in college i shot some movie on color reversal with this crank camara and edited it with a razor blade and double perf splicing tape. that was the poo poo

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spankmeister posted:

rgb scart supremacy

svideo adequacy

we werent fancy

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

it really bothers me that Adobe Lightroom doesn't have a luminance vs saturation curve you can adjust to give your self a secret light saturation rolloff like film.

~my film emulation lut techniques~

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

it really bothers me that Adobe Lightroom doesn't have a luminance vs saturation curve you can adjust to give your self a secret light saturation rolloff like film.

~my film emulation lut techniques~

is this what gives film that "contrasty" look, esp. like old technicolor?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

it desaturates stuff that's in the upper 40% range because digital cameras have no problem seeing bright colorful things, but film does (and so does your eye to an extent)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
so basically highlights get a little washed out?

what was it in the mid to late 90s where every movie looked kind of flat and almost under contrasted? was it some trend in how it was shot w/r/t aperture or just the film stock most studios were using at the time?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
depends on the movie you're talking about. there are a variety of techniques. i'm not really aware of any 90s movies that i'd call "under contrasted". ACE/ENR/bleach bypass were popular special film development processes that increased the contrast, but they could be combined with stuff like pre- and post-flashing (where the film is exposed to a small, controlled amount of light either before or after shooting) to get various effects.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 8, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
been working on a show with a lot of go pro footage in it. i thought it looked really funky but the producer kept making comments like "wow i love this go pro stuff, that go pro look is great" so i ignored it. i finally decided to count the frames and it turns out all our go pro stuff has had some pulldown unnecessarily applied to it during ingest (head ingest guy thinks it is a software bug but i don't know). anyhow, i put together a quick program to batch ingest go pro footage with ffmbc, and now it all looks perfect.

now the producer keeps asking 'what's wrong with the go pro footage' so i've started applying a frame duping filter to mimic the look of the bad footage.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
next he's going to tell you he loves the lovely super-duper mega rolling shutter that go pros have.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
he said 'trust me, it's really in right now' (or something like that). he's probably right, i dont know. he's not a bad guy, just very tv people

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Doc Block posted:

depends on the movie you're talking about. there are a variety of techniques. i'm not really aware of any 90s movies that i'd call "under contrasted". ACE/ENR/bleach bypass were popular special film development processes that increased the contrast, but they could be combined with stuff like pre- and post-flashing (where the film is exposed to a small, controlled amount of light either before or after shooting) to get various effects.

idk but maybe im describing it wrong. most of the movies im thinking of were relatively small budget and/or not really visually oriented (friday, theres something about mary, a couple others i just cant think of) and to me they all look a little washed out or undercontrasted. like the black level was set too high or something.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
maybe your TV in the 90s was really bad

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

chumpchous posted:

maybe your TV in the 90s was really bad

yeah im not talking about now or anything, its not like we have ways to watch whatever movie we want at any time :milk:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

chumpchous posted:

he said 'trust me, it's really in right now' (or something like that). he's probably right, i dont know. he's not a bad guy, just very tv people

hosed up film processing is really in right now?

although i guess with instagram or whatever "things that look like poo poo" are in right now

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
in this case it was hosed up, but it worked. it just ended up looking very rough, which is what he wanted to see

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Quine Connoisseur posted:

hosed up film processing is really in right now?

although i guess with instagram or whatever "things that look like poo poo" are in right now

i saw a picture the other day that was an actual old picture that looked like poo poo naturally (in an old fmaily photo album alongside a bunch of normal pictures) and it surprised the hell out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Install Gentoo posted:

i saw a picture the other day that was an actual old picture that looked like poo poo naturally (in an old fmaily photo album alongside a bunch of normal pictures) and it surprised the hell out of me

no that was a print from the new Walgreens Familygram Photo Service

• Locked thread