Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nsaP posted:

Yeah, that's a 250 innit? The 500-650s aren't so bad. Granted they will top out at 85 or 90 still, I know my buddies 5 speed virago 535 only hit about 90. It still got there reasonably quick.

I wouldn't want one a long time, or to do a lot of highway with it, but for a learner it's small but powerful enough.

Yep, a 250. It was her first bike and was great around town. Rode very well and even had a good exhaust note. But highway stuff was just plain dangerous on it, even though her top speed was at least 10mph higher than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I was looking briefly at this bike online today:
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/3917816130.html

'85 Rebel, $800. Description says it runs, but "needs the directions fixed". What the gently caress does that mean?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It needs its directions fixed. What do you think it means?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Xovaan posted:

So if I ask it the best way to commute to work I'll end up late?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Xovaan posted:

I've had bikes like that. You're just trying to go home after work and end up 100 miles away on top of some mountain that "just happened" to have a twisty road on it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Myrddin Emrys posted:

'85 Rebel, $800. Description says it runs, but "needs the directions fixed". What the gently caress does that mean?

Turn signals?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does anyone know anything about Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900? Because according to this link, it make over 100hp. There is one on local craigslist for 3 grand. It looks like lunacy on wheels
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3918742313.html

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 7, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Flint Ironstag posted:

I've had bikes like that. You're just trying to go home after work and end up 100 miles away on top of some mountain that "just happened" to have a twisty road on it.

It probably wasn't a 30 year old Rebel

Nitrox posted:

Does anyone know anything about Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900? Because according to this link, it make over 100hp. There is one on local craigslist for 3 grand. It looks like lunacy on wheels
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3918742313.html

To get around the 'Save Harley' tariffs of the mid-'80s, Kawi threw a sportbike engine in a cruiser. It is as mental as it sounds.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Anarchist posted:

Find and Army surplus store and pick up a cheap pair of Army boots. I think the pair I grabbed were just under $20

Better yet, go to the thrift store.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ThatCguy posted:

So what boring UJM do you ride anyway?

clutchpuck posted:

Spoken like somebody who has rode a couple mediocre UJMs.

He got a FZ1 as his first bike and has been putting it along at idle for a month or two now. On IRC he called me a squid for admitting that I'll hit 100 on on-ramps or passing cars on the highway occasionally, and said he'd never taken his bike over 70. We told him to take it on a deserted road and crank it open and he said something like "I didn't buy a motorcycle to go fast".

First bike FZ1, didn't buy to go fast.

Hi 5 HotCanadianChick.

edit: Still lollin' at claiming to be 'function over form' while only using 10% throttle ever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Myrddin Emrys posted:

So if I ask it the best way to commute to work I'll end up late?

Don't look at 250 cruisers dude. Seriously.

And he meant the turn signals.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Don't look at 250 cruisers dude. Seriously.

And he meant the turn signals.

Seconded. Literally slower than many scooters, with all the combined joys of a crap cruiser riding position/suspension married to a floppy lightweight bike.

Did anyone here learn to ride on a cruiser style bike? I'm curious to know what it's like starting off on something feet-forward, cause I learned on a tiny, hyper-aggressive sportsbike which I don't consider to be a very good first bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

He got a FZ1 as his first bike and has been putting it along at idle for a month or two now. On IRC he called me a squid for admitting that I'll hit 100 on on-ramps or passing cars on the highway occasionally, and said he'd never taken his bike over 70. We told him to take it on a deserted road and crank it open and he said something like "I didn't buy a motorcycle to go fast".

Hi 5 HotCanadianChick.

edit: Still lollin' at claiming to be 'function over form' while only using 10% throttle ever.

poo poo, I used to commute to work down the m4autobahn at 90 on a 650 single. Any slower and I'd have a minicab up my arse. Now I have a bigger bike.

While I'm posting itt, I've kind of been thinking my Multistrada may be a bit wasted on commuting duty. Should I get something dull and winter friendly (shaft drive) for work, then get a shiny toy for the odd time I get out for a jolly?
Bearing in mind I can afford neither at the moment?
Never mind.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Are you a 5'1, 115 lb at the most chick, or are you an MSF instructor looking for a few more disposable terrible running bikes for your course? If not, move on, you're not the demo for that bike.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

ThatCguy posted:

Are you a 5'1, 115 lb at the most chick, or are you an MSF instructor looking for a few more disposable terrible running bikes for your course? If not, move on, you're not the demo for that bike.

Alright, point taken. The idea of a light "first" bike does appeal to me, that's why I'm dragging my feet on the Rebels. The XJ650 I had was a bit heavy.

edit: Despite that, would this be worth a look you think? http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/3917137608.html

Suzuki, er, Intruder 800 I think? $1000. Says it's in good condition, but there's only one picture. I shot over an inquiry for if it's running and any outstanding work, etc.

Myrddin Emrys fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 7, 2013

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Seconded. Literally slower than many scooters, with all the combined joys of a crap cruiser riding position/suspension married to a floppy lightweight bike.

Did anyone here learn to ride on a cruiser style bike? I'm curious to know what it's like starting off on something feet-forward, cause I learned on a tiny, hyper-aggressive sportsbike which I don't consider to be a very good first bike.

Most of the bikes in my MSF class were kawasaki eliminator 125s and rebels. I got stuck with an eliminator and it wasnt really going well. Finally on the second day I dropped it, the instructor said he noticed I didnt look comfortable and was having trouble with it and did I want to switch to something else. A girl had quit so they had a spare honda CB125T. He gave me that and told me to ride around the perimeter of the course a few times and it was instantly more comfortable. So I'm apparently not designed for cruisers.

But, everyone in the class passed, and like I said, most of the bikes available were baby cruisers. Thats what sells out here so it makes sense for the class to have them.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Most of the bikes in my MSF class were kawasaki eliminator 125s and rebels. I got stuck with an eliminator and it wasnt really going well. Finally on the second day I dropped it, the instructor said he noticed I didnt look comfortable and was having trouble with it and did I want to switch to something else. A girl had quit so they had a spare honda CB125T. He gave me that and told me to ride around the perimeter of the course a few times and it was instantly more comfortable. So I'm apparently not designed for cruisers.

But, everyone in the class passed, and like I said, most of the bikes available were baby cruisers. Thats what sells out here so it makes sense for the class to have them.

I had a weird MSF experience. We had our "assigned bikes" so we could get used to the bikes we were riding, and I had a 250 Rebel, which felt great for me. Then, the day of the test, in the group before us the guy riding my bike crashed it. It was out of commission, so I had to get a backup bike. Yeah, a backup to the already lovely MSF bikes. What I got was a barely running Eliminator, and even the difference between those two bikes was significant... I asked if I could ride around a few times to get used to it before the test and they said no, so I had to take the test on a completely unfamiliar bike. Still passed, but it was ... weird.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Alright, point taken. The idea of a light "first" bike does appeal to me, that's why I'm dragging my feet on the Rebels. The XJ650 I had was a bit heavy.

edit: Despite that, would this be worth a look you think? http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/3917137608.html

Suzuki, er, Intruder 800 I think? $1000. Says it's in good condition, but there's only one picture. I shot over an inquiry for if it's running and any outstanding work, etc.

Suzuki S40 (650), Yamaha Virago 535, maybe others I don't know.

You keep saying you want lighter but you go from 250s to 750-800s. Look at the 500-700ccs. Again, they're going to run out of breath about 85 or 90 on the highway but they're good learners and light, around 400 lbs I'd guess.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

nsaP posted:

Suzuki S40 (650), Yamaha Virago 535, maybe others I don't know.

You keep saying you want lighter but you go from 250s to 750-800s. Look at the 500-700ccs. Again, they're going to run out of breath about 85 or 90 on the highway but they're good learners and light, around 400 lbs I'd guess.

Yeah sorry, I'm just cruising CL looking for good deals in "about" the range I'm looking for. I can find a lot of 750+ older bikes for cheap, but the 500-700s seem to be more expensive or really old. I found another XJ (550cc this time) for 1500 but it's an 82.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

nsaP posted:

Hi 5 HotCanadianChick.

Thanks for bringing idiotic IRC drama to the forums. The mods love that, you know.

I bought the bike because it had comfortable ergos and I got a good deal on it. I would have been equally happy with a 500cc bike, provided I could find one that wasn't a cramped sportbike with clipons, but finding one of those used is like finding a unicorn around here. Even the huge local Honda dealer has only gotten in one of the new CB500Fs, but they've gotten in and sold around a dozen of the CB500Rs.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HotCanadianChick posted:

Thanks for bringing idiotic IRC drama to the forums. The mods love that, you know.

I bought the bike because it had comfortable ergos and I got a good deal on it. I would have been equally happy with a 500cc bike, provided I could find one that wasn't a cramped sportbike with clipons, but finding one of those used is like finding a unicorn around here. Even the huge local Honda dealer has only gotten in one of the new CB500Fs, but they've gotten in and sold around a dozen of the CB500Rs.

IRC DRAMA :lol: you were the classic goon in a well with that bike purchase and you're butthurt that we tease you about it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I did my (first) CBT on a Yamaha SR125 which is definitely cruiserish, and I can definitely see how that sort of relaxed riding position (and very low seat height) is useful for learners. The low CoG certainly helps when learning low-speed maneuvers too. My Direct Access was done on a combination of ER5s (which I liked) and GS500s (which I hated - interesting how such similar bikes can have such different personalities, the GS felt lumpen and wooly while the ER was much more willing to play), and both are bog-standard UJM when it comes to riding position.

Of course I did my second CBT on an Aprilia RS125SP, which was massive fun, as was doing it with two years experience of daily riding in a group of absolute beginners. Although the slow-speed bits were a challenge on a bike that needed 6,000 rpm just to pull away and a turning circle like the Exxon Valdez.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Here's another one I found... I've literally owned this bike before.

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3871155546.html

$1800 was the asking price ("firm") but looks to be in good condition. I had this exact bike, year and everything, but it was much cheaper and a bit of a junker. Had some carb issues and clutch issues (that were apparently easily fixable).

Cons: Slightly heavy, but not too bad. Older bike.

Pros: Friend I gave the bike to would help me fix it if it needs it, he has experience and resources, more power than a 250, was comfortable for me to ride on

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

echomadman posted:

IRC DRAMA :lol: you were the classic goon in a well with that bike purchase and you're butthurt that we tease you about it.

Sure, if rolling my eyes counts as being 'butthurt'. I was just pointing out that dragging anything from IRC to the forums goes over with the mods about as well as internet detectiving and helldumping - i.e. poorly.

Also, what in the everloving gently caress is a 'goon in a well'? That implies some sort of distress situation, and I am most assuredly not distressed about a drat thing in my life at the moment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also, what in the everloving gently caress is a 'goon in a well'? That implies some sort of distress situation, and I am most assuredly not distressed about a drat thing in my life at the moment.

Goons don't listen to advice.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2301568&pagenumber=5

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are Chuck Taylors still cheap?

Yes, but the requirements specifically say NO CANVAS, so those are out. I'm probably just gonna find some boots on sale at Sports Authority and use those.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Except I never asked for advice, nor do I regret the bike I purchased? I did my own research, weighed the pros and cons, and made an adult decision that I am comfortable with. So, :confuoot: I guess?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

HotCanadianChick posted:

Except I never asked for advice, nor do I regret the bike I purchased? I did my own research, weighed the pros and cons, and made an adult decision that I am comfortable with. So, :confuoot: I guess?

No, you didn't ask for advice recently, echomadman was referring to when you bought the FZ1. He wasn't referring to something you just posted, in fact you've only been posting unsolicited crap and clogging up a suggestion thread with your own dumb opinion that cruisers shouldn't be made because... you don't like them. I'm not sure why you think I'll be banned, I didn't bring up any 'irc drama'. Clutchpuck and ThatCGuy could tell you were a new rider on a UJM and called you out immediately, I was just filling them in with the info you'd leave out.

I'm also contributing to the thread and helping people find bikes, while you're just having a whine about cruisers that no one wants to hear and contributing nothing. So why do you think its me that's going to piss off some mods and not you? Quit backseat modding and hit that report button if you feel the need.

Oxford Comma posted:

Yes, but the requirements specifically say NO CANVAS, so those are out. I'm probably just gonna find some boots on sale at Sports Authority and use those.

I wore chucks to my class so that must be new. They were good for it cause they were so thin.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Here's another one I found... I've literally owned this bike before.

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3871155546.html

$1800 was the asking price ("firm") but looks to be in good condition. I had this exact bike, year and everything, but it was much cheaper and a bit of a junker. Had some carb issues and clutch issues (that were apparently easily fixable).

Cons: Slightly heavy, but not too bad. Older bike.

Pros: Friend I gave the bike to would help me fix it if it needs it, he has experience and resources, more power than a 250, was comfortable for me to ride on

My friend just bought a 2005 Ninja 250 with 6000 miles at the peak of riding season for 2000 dollars. I'm not saying get a ninja, but 1800 for a 30 year old UJM seems crazy. If it's ready to ride and everything is replaced/fixed up maybe, but I'd keep looking.

edit:

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3905971068.html

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3891014616.html

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 8, 2013

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

You have contributed absolutely nothing to the thread, while simultaneously derailing it with personal drama. Please go do something else. Thanks.

Nitrox posted:

Just an update, I went out and rode that bike... thing. I have a GZ250(think Honda Rebel) and that bike is 99.9% of my riding experience thus far. There is something maddening about a cruiser that runs 11's stock. A twist of a throttle and I'm doing 60 in 1st gear under 3 seconds. Somebody hold me, I'm scared of buying it

Bu seriously, it gets 35mpg with a >3 gal tank, so the range is under 100 miles. I'm also worrying about the replacement parts availability and wear factors. Is there anything about 30 year old bike that should be an age-related red flag?

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 8, 2013

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Anarchist posted:

Find and Army surplus store and pick up a cheap pair of Army boots. I think the pair I grabbed were just under $20

I guess army boots might be slightly better than wearing sneakers, they're by no means a replacement for Motorcycle riding boots. Your ankles and feet are very complex and delicate things, spend the money to protects them. I mean I could be wrong, do army boots have toe and heel boxes and anti torsional stuff?

Also, this is a real conversation I had with HotCanadianChick

Me: LOL you bought a FZ1 as a first bike, that's probably a bad idea
HCC: I'm fine
Me: lol ok
HCC: I drove a something something generation Toyota MR2 and they're notorious for having lift off oversteer, I know about throttle control.
Me: :cmon:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

HNasty posted:

I guess army boots might be slightly better than wearing sneakers, they're by no means a replacement for Motorcycle riding boots. Your ankles and feet are very complex and delicate things, spend the money to protects them. I mean I could be wrong, do army boots have toe and heel boxes and anti torsional stuff?

Army boots are bad motorcycle boots, but they beat sneakers or flipflops, and besides I think whoever was asking originally just needs them for the BRC class, not as kit for actual riding.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
Yea that suggestion was only for the BRC above the ankle requirement, plus it's good to have a pair of poo poo kickers laying around. By no means they are a replacement for proper riding boots. I wear A* smx-plus boots and recommend them to everybody I end up taking to about gear. Hard not to when they were the difference between a broken leg and an amputated one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nitrox posted:

You have contributed absolutely nothing to the thread, while simultaneously derailing it with personal drama. Please go do something else. Thanks.

Just an update, I went out and rode that bike... thing. I have a GZ250(think Honda Rebel) and that bike is 99.9% of my riding experience thus far. There is something maddening about a cruiser that runs 11's stock. A twist of a throttle and I'm doing 60 in 1st gear under 3 seconds. Somebody hold me, I'm scared of buying it

Bu seriously, it gets 35mpg with a >3 gal tank, so the range is under 100 miles. I'm also worrying about the replacement parts availability and wear factors. Is there anything about 30 year old bike that should be an age-related red flag?

Just the usual old bike stuff. Nothing crazy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

HNasty posted:

Anarchist posted:

I wear A* smx-plus boots and recommend them to everybody I end up taking to about gear. Hard not to when they were the difference between a broken leg and an amputated one.

This poo poo fuckin' kills me when there's nothing like that in my size. Does anyone do armored boots in custom sizes?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Those are tempting! What's the deal with crossing state lines for sales like this? Complications? The other Providence link was still in MA (it's weird, I guess) but right on the edge of Rhode Island, and the guy was willing to drive it out to me (it's a >1 hour drive, no way I'm attempting that all highway with my level of experience).

Super Lube
Oct 24, 2010
I have always wanted a CB1000R since they came out and I am in a current financial situation where I can finally afford one however since Yamaha announced the FZ-09 I can't really decide between the two. I like the idea of the lighter and narrower FZ-09, but I'm concerned it being a fist year model, mostly due to the new motor Yamaha is using for it. However, there is a 2011 CB1000R with 1600 miles on it for $7,900 locally that I am considering which seems like a really good deal at least for the area plus the fit and finish of Honda bikes always seemed better than what Yamaha offered. The MSRP for the FZ09 is 8k so pricing would be similar between the two.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I did, my first ride was a Vulcan 88. It's pretty much easy mode, they react to input pretty lazily so it's sort of difficult to get them way out of sorts. Biggest potential pitfall for a cruiser as a learner bike is that they tend to be heavier and easier to let tip over at a stop.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Super Lube posted:

I have always wanted a CB1000R since they came out and I am in a current financial situation where I can finally afford one however since Yamaha announced the FZ-09 I can't really decide between the two. I like the idea of the lighter and narrower FZ-09, but I'm concerned it being a fist year model, mostly due to the new motor Yamaha is using for it. However, there is a 2011 CB1000R with 1600 miles on it for $7,900 locally that I am considering which seems like a really good deal at least for the area plus the fit and finish of Honda bikes always seemed better than what Yamaha offered. The MSRP for the FZ09 is 8k so pricing would be similar between the two.

Ooh, that's a tough one. The cb1000r is a very sweet ride. I test rode one, it was very good. Almost too good, like it wasn't even slightly stressed by anything I asked it to do. The seat seemed like it might be a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours, that's about the biggest complaint I could make. You'll have to take them both out and decide for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Super Lube posted:

Depends on much weight matters to you, I looked at the CB1000R before as well but for some wacky reason it's way heavier than the CBR1000RR, my guess is the single sided swing arm, IIRC wet it clocks in at almost 500LB. Mean while CBR1000RR is in the low 400s wet. Supposed the bikes share a platform, I have no idea how the managed to add 80 lbs. The CB1000R produces decent torks but it's kinda high up in the range.

What did you ride before this? If you've already owned a Japanese I4 motorcycle I would say wait for the Yamaha or maybe look at a twin. In my personal opinion Jap I4s are the dullest motors for street riding, if you have never owned a twin or a triple before go for the Yamaha. I haven't had much seat time in a Triple but but far as power delivery goes it's basically a compromise, you get more torque earlier on without sacrificing too much high end HP. Which sounds like a nice combo and since the price and other characteristics of the two bikes are the same. I think your choice is really about the engine. A larger capacity triple might be the magic bullet.